Anti-knife chicken and chips campaign

Nanook

I'm black and I'm British and it's a stereotype I've heard literally my entire life.

But Jim Edwards from CBS news hasn't (so he says) I guess I must be wrong then.
From white people or other black people?

I could be totally wrong but I don’t think the black people/fried chicken stereotype is a well known one in the UK. At least not among white people who are 90% of the population.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I saw the thread title and thought 'who cuts fried chicken? You bite it.'

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
From white people or other black people?

I could be totally wrong but I don’t think the black people/fried chicken stereotype is a well known one in the UK. At least not among white people who are 90% of the population.
Both but mainly white as a joke. Lived in London, Manchester and Beverley in my life, and heard the same joke in all three places. It's most certainly a known stereotype in the UK.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d never heard of the fried chicken stereotype, until as @Jippy said the whole controversy with Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia, which wasn’t that long ago.

Seems like it’s on the rise though, especially among the younger lot. I mean, just look at how much that gimp KSI plays up to it.

Drifter

American
What as Dianne Abbott tried to do to stop black on black knife crime.

Kag

Why fund the police, social services, youth services and schools when you can just put a few words on a box of chicken instead?

Classic Tory-ism at its best (or worst?). Wankers.

An innocent man was stabbed by youths with a screwdriver outside of a Greggs down Newcastle high street yesterday. Maybe we should put them on the back of steak bake wrappers, too? That’ll sort it out.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
More stop & search, more police officers in poor areas, now some words on a fecking chicken box

This government continues to show its incompetence at dealing with societal issues that they are so far removed from.

This thread is a slow motion car crash too.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Does everybody who is moaning about the government and how out of touch they are realise that the government were approached by a chicken shop and then backed it.
I’ve absolutely no doubt if the government declined to back the campaign they would now be getting shit for not caring and backing it.

I don’t think the campaign is the best of ideas but people could at least moan at the right people

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
What as Dianne Abbott tried to do to stop black on black knife crime.
Yeah clearly the whole issue of young socially disadvantaged black males getting involved in black crime is on her shoulders, as a black opposition MP. Classic not so crypto-racism.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Does everybody who is moaning about the government and how out of touch they are realise that the government were approached by a chicken shop and then backed it.
I’ve absolutely no doubt if the government declined to back the campaign they would now be getting shit for not caring and backing it.

I don’t think the campaign is the best of ideas but people could at least moan at the right people
I’m not really understanding this, are you saying that the government doing something - even if that something is offensive, expensive and likely ineffective - is better than nothing?

And as far as I can see, people are moaning at the right people?
Just because a chicken shop had an idea, doesn’t mean that idea should’ve been the main idea to lead this campaign with - nobody is blaming Morley’s for this, it would’ve needed dozens of sign offs from people within government.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yet more inspired, nuanced thinking from the people who wrote 'GO HOME' on the side of vans.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m not really understanding this, are you saying that the government doing something - even if that something is offensive, expensive and likely ineffective - is better than nothing?

Just because a chicken shop had an idea, doesn’t mean that idea should’ve been the main idea to lead this campaign with - nobody is blaming Morley’s for this, it would’ve needed dozens of sign offs from people within government.
I wouldn’t argue with you in this subject. You clearly know more than myself.

I’m just pointing out that I’ve read numerous posts saying typical tories, typical government out of touch etc but they backed a campaign brought to them. Do you think they should have declined?

Again, I don’t think the campaign is a good idea and I’m certainly not a Tory voter.

Sara125

Of course it is .What bubble have you been living in
Okay, answer me this? Why is it that black people are the ONLY race to have a label attached to the crime when killing each other? I’ve never heard anyone say white-on-white crime or Asian-on-Asian crime. Do you think that’s just a coincidence? Or do you think that it may be because there are racist undertones to it? Because I know the answer.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Campaigns like these don't have a leg to stand on really. I wish the people coming up with this shite would either spread their creative wings or just kick the bucket. Just my nugget of advice to em.
sorry.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Also, I clicked the link and read "Priti Patel defended.." quite sure it's at at least offensive, possibly racist and probably both in that case. I'm quite sure the black people love chicken stereotype is something present in the entirety of the western world.

SteveJ

Scout
'Black-on-black crime' is a typically insulting, transparent piece of propaganda; control the narrative, and you control the people.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I thought I liked Kentucky, until I tried it again a few years ago and the amount of grease on it made me wretch.

I do not adore fried chicken.
A home made one is brilliant. The fast food ones are so filled with grease

Drifter

American
Okay, answer me this? Why is it that black people are the ONLY race to have a label attached to the crime when killing each other? I’ve never heard anyone say white-on-white crime or Asian-on-Asian crime. Do you think that’s just a coincidence? Or do you think that it may be because there are racist undertones to it? Because I know the answer.
When i said black on black crime , it came from me not from who ever labeled them .Because that is what i see, young black men stabbing other black men over territory,drugs and reputation,and it saddens me. Those people crying out racist every time the truth is told ,do not have a clue.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Yes. Because most things the government do to solve issues in this sphere will be deemed offensive, expensive and likely ineffective by a large portion of the population, sometimes you'll be on that side, sometimes you'll be on the other. You have to think very highly of yourself to believe that the times you think these things, it's an accurate assessment of the reality, and all the other times it's people just not understanding the issue as well as you.

If they only ever did the things you want them to do then the issue would likely get worse. The same is true of everyone other than perhaps the genuine experts. We are wrong about things an awful lot. So are the government. This might be one of those times but it's healthy to recognise it also might not, despite your best assessment.

The government doing nothing on crime is usually not a good thing, and doing something badly is often better than that. Some things they do are incredibly destructive. This is very tame. Redundant and laughable at worst, but hardly likely to infringe on people's rights or stoke social tensions.

Last edited:

Sara125

When i said black on black crime , it came from me not from who ever labeled them .Because what i see is young black men stabbing other black men over territory,drugs and reputation,and it saddens me. Those people crying out racist every time the truth is told ,do not have a clue.
It doesn’t matter where it ‘came from’. You’re calling it that because you, like many people, have been conditioned to believe that black on black crime is a thing. I bet you don’t call it white on white crime when white people kill each other.

Also, don’t say that it saddens you as if you actually care. Your initial post in here about Diane Abbott shows exactly the kind of person you are. And, please tell me, what is it that the people ‘crying out racist’ don’t have a clue about?

SteveJ

Scout
Yes. Because most things the government do to solve issues in this sphere will be deemed offensive, expensive and inefficient by a large portion of the population, sometimes you'll be on that side, sometimes you'll be on the other. You have to think very highly of yourself to believe that the times you think these things, it's an accurate assessment of the reality, and all the other times it's people just not understanding the issue as well as you.

If they only ever did the things you want them to do then the issue would likely get worse. The same is true of everyone other than perhaps the genuine experts. We are wrong about things an awful lot. So are the government. This might be one of those times but it's healthy to recognise it also might not, despite your best assessment.
This latest thing, though, is indicative of recent governments being in thrall to think tanks, focus groups and PR-friendly throwaway gestures (in place of actual substance). As such, people are rightly cynical, and weary of it.

Zlatattack

I came into this thread to scream racism and make jokes about not needing knives to eat fried chicken. Having actually read the arguements and facts in depth, i'll do neither.

Is it racist - not really.
Is there a knife and fried chicken joke - not one that hasn't been said already.

I doubt it will be effective, but no harm in trying.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This latest thing, though, is indicative of recent governments being in thrall to think tanks, focus groups and PR-friendly throwaway gestures (in place of actual substance). As such, people are rightly cynical, and weary of it.
I think there's quite a big step between weariness and cynicism to ridicule and instant rejection, personally. And while I don't think it's unreasonable to take that step in this situation - from the little I know, it sounds stupid and looks lazy - I do question the sense of priorities at play. I don't think anyone would disagree there are many things more worthy of our thought, and more in need of our time, than this. And that's purely focused on our own government and in this particular moment, not the bigger picture. But we talk about this for reasons outside of importance and urgency, at an incredibly important and urgent time. I find that disheartening

SteveJ

Scout
It's designed to encourage discussions of the distractions rather than the substance.

Classical Mechanic

Another good thing about being vegan is that you won't get recruited into a county lines drug gang.

Veganism really is better for your health.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yes. Because most things the government do to solve issues in this sphere will be deemed offensive, expensive and likely ineffective by a large portion of the population, sometimes you'll be on that side, sometimes you'll be on the other. You have to think very highly of yourself to believe that the times you think these things, it's an accurate assessment of the reality, and all the other times it's people just not understanding the issue as well as you.

The government doing nothing on crime is usually not a good thing, and doing something badly is often better than that. Some things they do are incredibly destructive. This is very tame. Redundant and laughable at worst, but hardly likely to infringe on people's rights or stoke social tensions.
Ain't that the truth.

Art Vandelay

I thought I liked Kentucky, until I tried it again a few years ago and the amount of grease on it made me wretch.

I do not adore fried chicken.
There can be a huge difference in quality between individual KFC's. Having said that they have in general gone downhill in the last few years. There was a golden age of KFC for a few years. An age undreamed of. An age of crispy delicious chicken in the Colonel's secret blend of 11 different herbs and spices. Now you're lucky if the batter is fit for consumption by humans.

You get some good alternatives for sticking in the oven in both Iceland and Sainsburys though.

Drifter

American
It doesn’t matter where it ‘came from’. You’re calling it that because you, like many people, have been conditioned to believe that black on black crime is a thing. I bet you don’t call it white on white crime when white people kill each other.

Also, don’t say that it saddens you as if you actually care. Your initial post in here about Diane Abbott shows exactly the kind of person you are. And, please tell me, what is it that the people ‘crying out racist’ don’t have a clue about?
Oh i really care . Not that i care if you believe me or not.

Zlatattack

There can be a huge difference in quality between individual KFC's. Having said that they have in general gone downhill in the last few years. There was a golden age of KFC for a few years. An age undreamed of. An age of crispy delicious chicken in the Colonel's secret blend of 11 different herbs and spices. Now you're lucky if the batter is fit for consumption by humans.

You get some good alternatives for sticking in the oven in both Iceland and Sainsburys though.
The one near me is good. They don't cook as much chicken, so you have to wait longer, but get it fresher.