Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
Last night's perfromance really proves that all is not lost. He hasn't suddenly lost his ability. It's been a mental thing more than anything else IMO, but hopefully he can continue on from this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I quite like his technique of drilling his crosses in rather than trying to cross or pin point anyone in the box.

I guess this was his supposed reason for the poor form of recent weeks.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He was good, there were still times he didn't know what to do with the ball though. He did try take on his man more than what we've been seeing. Promising, but still a long way to go... His forms been erratic for two years now.

Mainoldo

I quite like his technique of drilling his crosses in rather than trying to cross or pin point anyone in the box.

I rather he just cross the ball to a player. There is a better ratio of a goal.

acnumber9

He was good, there were still times he didn't know what to do with the ball though. He did try take on his man more than what we've been seeing. Promising, but still a long way to go... His forms been erratic for two years now.
His form has not been erratic since September 2011.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Much more positive in his play every time he got the ball he was taking men on, excellent more of this please.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Always maintained he should shoot more. Got one hell of a strike in terms of power. Very nice to hear he's no longer worse than Zaha as well.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
He's probably wary of the newcomers like Zaha and Januzaj and that'll probably spur him on to perform more decisively as compared to last season. I have a feeling our wingers are about to have a great season (Young included).

Ash_G

It was a welcome reminder of what he can do. It was really strange as I couldn't identify any change to our game that would impact him or anything they were doing. Still hopefully will give him the confidence. A Valencia who is willing to have a go, is a good option to have.

Still think his crossing needs some work. We know he can pick people out without looking for a drill or the weird pullback to the far post as we saw it in that season where Rooney played right up top. Still hopefully a good base for him to go from.

beergod

His improved confidence is a promising development. However, Boenisch was awful at LB for Leverkusen.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Are we on a merry-go-round, because it feels like we are going around in circles here?

So, what you are saying is that in the 70-odd years that players have worn numbers on their shirts, we have had five great players in the number 7 shirt. What about the dozens of players who could have been rated anywhere between poor to good that wore it? What about all the other clubs with great players who just happened to wear the same number on their shirt? For every Ronaldo, there's been a Clayton Blackmore, a Ralph Milne or a Michael Owen. This 'cult of the seven' thing is modern nonsense.
Nailed!

lem8sh

His style of crossing doesn't really benefit the strikers though as his crosses are impossible to read which is vital for any striker to nick half a yard.

Tomuś

His improved confidence is a promising development. However, Boenisch was awful at LB for Leverkusen.
Boenisch is one of the worst performers for Poland NT and that's saying something.

Still, he wasn't the only one responsible for keeping Valencia quiet so the positives are there.

Tomuś

His style of crossing doesn't really benefit the strikers though as his crosses are impossible to read which is vital for any striker to nick half a yard.
Van Persie is well aware of Valencia's type of crossing, from what we've heard they worked on it together under Rene's guidance. The quality of the cross is what matters and Valencia finally managed to get some useful balls in against Leverkusen. 3 potential assists from the top of my head. I do hope he's back for good, quality wing-play can elevate this team further now we've got a solid base in cm. Loads of positives after yesterday, we needed that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think almost weirdly another thing that helped was that Smalling offered little to nothing in attack. He sat back quite a bit in the second half, allowing Valencia the room he needed/likes.

usually when our RB bombs forward, it gives him an easy option out to either pass it backwards or just lay it off and move. Against Leverkusen though he had no such options really, and just went full steam ahead. Valencia is a better player with his head down rather than thinking about things IMO.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
I saw this on the Sky Sports website (David Moyes speaking):

"Overall, I've been really pleased with him. I actually said to him today: 'You should be getting yourself seven or eight goals a season regularly'. He looked at me and squinted a bit. Hopefully he knows what I mean!"

Can anyone else picture Valencia at that exact moment?

I can. It made me laugh.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Massive game for him tomorrow I think... after that Leverkusen performance, I think it's fair to say we all expect... and this is the sort of game where he needs to deliver.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Tomorrow probably ain't fair do decide if he is back or not. I would settle for a very disciplined performance from him for this game.

Brightonian

Tomorrow probably ain't fair do decide if he is back or not. I would settle for a very disciplined performance from him for this game.
Yes, but I don't reckon many in here would see that for what it is. His contribution against Chelsea was absolutely massive, shutting Hazard right out of the game almost single-handedly. Then I come on here and everyone's whining about the fact that he wasn't perpetually barrelling past his full-back.

Personally I'm quietly hoping that he might have another top game in all departments. Back when he was flying for us he used to be at his best against the top sides - Ashley Cole remembers this very well - and against Leverkusen he looked very much like that player again. So you never know.

Ekeke

Role in the team in a big match or not, its never asking too much to put a few decent balls into the box

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Should give up the United shirt altogether along with Young and be done with it.

Sam

He's so shit thesedays. People just need to accept it.

Aboutreika18

At least he helped secure the right wing defensively even when he was in bad form.

When he's not even doing that anymore, there's got to be serious questions about his place in the starting XI.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Please Randall tell me he's shit it'll cheer me up at least.

Ekeke

Being fair to him he has had a couple of moments getting in down the right. Not particularly good product from there, but on a day with so little going forward I might be being too harsh saying he hasnt attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.