Antonio Valencia to be new club captain

Rebecca

Antonio Valencia for the new captain for me it is the right choice because he's been at United for a couple of seasons now so he will know the squad from in side out.

Last edited by a moderator:

AaronRedDevil

Normally a captain is supposed to be a "Lead by example" kind of person. Like Roy Keane, Rooney and Pogba during the World Cup. Nothing about Valencia tells me he's that kind of guy. Worst winger Iv ever seen and he's barely a useful right back. He's ok on the defensive side and attacking wise, he's the worse crosser on the ball and no way effective in that either. You can predict what he's going to do before he even gets the ball. This is a strange choice. He can barely speak English or never does an interview for the team. Captains have a responsibility. What about De Gea? Matic is new but hes respected and does work hard passing the ball around and battling players. I would say Pogba but he might be viewed as a different type as a player for Man Utd then France.

DaveLombardo

It probably makes at least some sense. Valencia is one of the players who's been at the club the longest, probably has the respect of all his team mates and his notable work rate would hopefully inspire others.

But I'm just not convinced of him as our first choice right back. A squad player; yes. That's fine.

If only we had another Roy Keane figure. We might say we need plenty of leaders on the pitch, but if Roy Keane's playing, there's one person everyone is looking to. As much as I hate him, John Terry had that same aura. I really do think we're missing an all out leader. After seeing Pogba pre World Cup final, I think he has it in him to be that in the next few years.

GM K

Jose is very big on loyalty. Almost excessively. If he thinks, rightly or wrongly, that a player is not entirely loyal to him or to the team, he stops granting privileges to such a player. He gave Pogba the armband for some games last season but something happened after then between the two and rumours have not ceased about Pogba being wanted by other clubs. As long as those rumours keep flying and Pogba doesn't kill them either publicly or privately, my guess is that Jose won't count Pogba among his faithfuls and unsurprisingly, he won't consider him for the arm band.

decorativeed

Andy Mitten is pretty good journalist in fairness. Telling point of the article though is he had a chat with Valencia in Spanish during that training session to praise him. Obviously Mourinho can speak Spanish incredibly well but tells you he wasn't confident Valencia would understand the message as well if he had said it in English which I would assume would be the language used in the training sessions.
I'm not saying he's a bad journalist, just that he also posts his stuff on the internet. That shouldn't be used as the sole reason to discredit someone, as another poster did.

Sigma

I'm not saying he's a bad journalist, just that he also posts his stuff on the internet. That shouldn't be used as the sole reason to discredit someone, as another poster did.
The reason I credited him is he has a proven track record when it comes to the club, something that I don't know if you have or not. Nothing against you personally.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Maybe thoughtful or considered, but I wouldn't put it that way. He had a similar temperament to Fergie in many ways and thought nothing of giving one of his players a bollocking and sometimes a whack in the face on the pitch if necessary!
I heard he had a bit of a mean streak in him, but for the most part, he kept it under control. Unfortunately, I never got to see him play live.

wolvored

We shouldnt have a captain who wont bother to learn English, doesnt matter who he is. How long has he been in this country now, Its got to at least be a decade and not being able to speak the language well by now is a disgrace.

wolvored

Mourinho would prefer new FBs. He commented once about City's spending in that position and I doubt he is that naive to not see Valencia's decline.

But clearly, we have a budget and preferred to buy an understudy. So obviously he can't look sad about it. He can't say "I am fecking disappointed that Silent Tony will be our Captain but there you go".
He didnt need to say it at all. He could have given it Matic for example

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Fairly happy if he's assuming a similar role to Carrick as a figurehead of sorts. Been a loyal, committed and dependable figure for us which is what you look for in a captain.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Serious question but how good is his actual english?

I know people say he can speak a bit but seems odd to me he's been in this country 12 years and yet dosen't even do a simple interview which you would expect as captain of the club.

Calling Fellani "Manuel" :lol:

I've always liked him as a player though but can understand people wanting to see more dynamic option than him or Young as the fullbacks.
I'm not sure, I assume not great.

buckooo1978

tongue in cheek with that suggestion

my point remains though that Jose has his favourites and its got nothing to do with footballing ability, experience or influence.

instead its got everything to do with obedience

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
shit. That will mean he stays as as starter
Not nailed on. Carrick assumed captaincy but nearly didn't play.

Seems like we more or less honour seniority with the armband.

If Dalot clicks, or we sign a LB so Young can play on the RB, then it won't matter if Valencia is captain or not.

sokol11

Ah yes...the rules of behaviour spiel. All that flash doesn't fit with my eastern European sensibilities. Hide it better.
He is acting like a kid in the playground sometimes. What part of that you don't understand? I'm also not eastern european. More balkan if you want to throw origin insults around. Shows your level of maturity well.

goober88

I know you're new here, but wading into a discussion armed with nothing but personal attacks, a patronising tone and using the Jamie Redknapp definition of 'literally' is not going to do you any favours.
No, Valencia had to train as a soldier when he was younger: https://www.balls.ie/football/antonio-valencia-military-training-364327

I know you're old here but perhaps you should watch your own scornful, unhelpful language before getting return fire and complaining about it.

Valencia doesn't exactly take the game by the scruff of the neck like those you mentioned. Nor is he anywhere near as vocal or as much of a talisman as those. Those you mentioned were obvious captain material.

To then say you weren't comparing these players and Valencia is quite strange, considering you clearly were.
Clearly I wasn't. One can e.g. compare a young player to Messi because the young player attempts to play like Messi. This is not the same as saying that young player is as good as Messi.

As for taking the game by the scruff of the neck, why does he have to do that? I never mentioned that. But his intensity and determination can set the tone of the game. That's leadership.

flappyjay

No, Valencia had to train as a soldier when he was younger: https://www.balls.ie/football/antonio-valencia-military-training-364327

I know you're old here but perhaps you should watch your own scornful, unhelpful language before getting return fire and complaining about it.

Clearly I wasn't. One can e.g. compare a young player to Messi because the young player attempts to play like Messi. This is not the same as saying that young player is as good as Messi.

As for taking the game by the scruff of the neck, why does he have to do that? I never mentioned that. But his intensity and determination can set the tone of the game. That's leadership.
Young players can learn a lot about taking care of themselves from him too. He could play until he is 40( obviously not at the top level)

Ashley R1+O

Not my choice, but he's the man if the whole squad is behind him. I hope he bounces back and has a much better season this season, it will be a key if we make anything of note happen.

AndyJ1985

This isn't cricket. The club captain isn't guaranteed game time and isn't involved in setting up tactics .
The alternative to Valencia is a 19 year old. He's obviously guaranteed to play a large portion of game time

Bestietom

Most likely means he will start most games this season. We need a RW even more then or they're will be no good crosses coming from this side.

SouthPredators4

I would rather take a leap of faith and give the captaincy to Pogba. It not only shows faith and confidence in him, but that additional responsibility would add to his maturity. Off the field, i think his captaincy would make us a more attractive destination for future signings too. We really need a fresh start and this move would kickstart that.

MadMike

If you think a captain, who is by definition the leader of the team, who sets the tone for the rest, is insignificant, I wonder what you think IS significant.
None of the stuff you mentioned applies to a Mourinho team though. For Mourinho the leader doesn't have to be the captain and vice versa.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
tongue in cheek with that suggestion

my point remains though that Jose has his favourites and its got nothing to do with footballing ability, experience or influence.

instead its got everything to do with obedience
Isn't he just picking the most senior player though?

BigBebe

1964–1968 Denis Law
1968–1973 Bobby Charlton
1973–1974 George Graham
1974–1975 Willie Morgan
1975–1982 Martin Buchan
1982 Ray Wilkins
1982–1994 Bryan Robson
1992–1996 Steve Bruce
1996–1997 Eric Cantona
1997–2005 Roy Keane
2005–2011 Gary Neville
2011–2014 Nemanja Vidić
2014–2017 Wayne Rooney
2017–2018 Michael Carrick
2018– Antonio Valencia

Fifty years of great united captains plus Antonio Valencia. :lol:

Chairman Steve

I don’t really see much in the role of club captain these days. I think football teams are run by a number of leaders, whether being vocal ones and/or ones who lead by example. Sir Alex ideally wanted 11 captains on the pitch for his team.

It seems to depend on the club. We haven’t really had a one great standout captain since Keane. I imagine some clubs still have it but with players switching every few years or so, it’s hard to nail down people like that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I see people mentioning Pogba but France is actually a good example of why the armband obsession is ridiculous. Pogba wasn't alone, he grew into a leadership role with Varane and Griezmann while players like Mandanda, Lloris and Rami were stabilizers. Football is a team sports in almost every aspects, someone like Valencia is a great model for his professionalism, calm and dedication, other players more vocal can do all the extra noise needed.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
What's next, Jones as vice captain?

With Mourinho and Valencia at the helm we are going to achieve great things next season!!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
By September we're going to be lining up with a back 4 of Valencia Smalling Jones and Young aren't we?

:(
Even in worst case scenario, surely there's no way Phil Jones gets in strongest back 4? Look at his last few games, completely done by Hazard in two seperate games.

Bailly is much better. Of all your CB options Smalling-Bailly is your best combination by long way imo.

Jojo <3 Mou

I've just realised that he is the first non-European captain, the second non-British and first person of colour to be made a permanent captain.
:yawn:
Well done, United is a global club!

All of that and his own personal triumphs. It's a good story and an example to all.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
None of the stuff you mentioned applies to a Mourinho team though.
It should though, for some people here. And I'm inclined to agree.
Most people will agree something needs to change under Jose and this points to the same old him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

You keep contradicting yourself.
If he had intensity and determination to the point where it was inspiring to others he'd be taking games by the scruff of the neck.
He's a loyal player and that's a good trait to pass on to others, but it doesn't make for captain material alone in my eyes.
I'm sure he can set good examples for others, but again there's some of us here who want to see more from a captain, or at least a statement of intent from Jose to do anything other than the most boring, unmotivational thing possible.

And you clearly were comparing those players. You mentioned them as other examples of what you want Valencia to be. That's comparing them. They're also nothing like what Valencia has shown himself to be, so unless something drastic happens to him this season because of the armband, there was no point mentioning it.

Last edited:

decorativeed

You keep contradicting yourself.
If he had intensity and determination to the point where it was inspiring to others he'd be taking games by the scruff of the neck.
He's a loyal player and that's a good trait to pass on to others, but it doesn't make for captain material alone in my eyes.
I'm sure he can get good examples for others, but again there's some of us here who want to see more from a captain, or at least a statement of intent from Jose to do anything other than the most boring, unmotivational thing possible.

And you clearly were comparing those players. You mentioned them as other examples of what you want Valencia to be. That's comparing them. They're also nothing like what Valencia has shown himself to be, so unless something drastic happens to him this season because of the armband, there was no point mentioning it.
Don't try and talk sense Veeva, or he'll just come back with theories about the size of your genitalia, sexuality and relationship status.

Dundrummer

2011–2014 Nemanja Vidić
2014–2017 Wayne Rooney
2017–2018 Michael Carrick
2018– Antonio Valencia

Fifty years of great united captains plus Antonio Valencia. :lol:
Seeing it like that makes me realise that it was all downhill for the last three almost from the moment they were handed the captaincy*, which is a little concerning considering where Valencia already is in his career...

*Admittedly, it was injury that did it in Vida's case, and Carrick was already about 150 years old.