Antonio Valencia to be new club captain

Kapardin

What's worst about this is that this means Valencia will be our fist choice next season, and by the looks of it Mourinho is happy with that.
Mourinho would prefer new FBs. He commented once about City's spending in that position and I doubt he is that naive to not see Valencia's decline.

But clearly, we have a budget and preferred to buy an understudy. So obviously he can't look sad about it. He can't say "I am fecking disappointed that Silent Tony will be our Captain but there you go".

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If that's all you think being a captain of a team is - the extra bit of fabric on your sleeve - then I don't know what else anyone can say to you to make you understand an opposing view, that it should be a whole lot more than that.
The symbolic meaning of what the armband represents is not lost on me, but I'm not the one you need to convince. Jose puts little stock in the armband itself and that's not going to change anytime soon. Seniority, loyalty, work ethic and diligence are clearly more important to Jose, and it just so happens that Valencia possesses these traits. To whom he gives the armband comes as no surprise really.

stevoc

“Antonio how does it feel to become Captain of Manchester United?”

“Que?!”

decorativeed

I'm more inclined to believe a writer with actual connections to the club than that bloke 'decorativeed' from redcafe.
I'm not bothered whether you believe me or not, I'm just saying I take stock in the words of someone who has spent 30-40 hours a week with the guy for the last few years than a journalist who has met him a handful of times at best. Whether you or anyone else here believes me is beside the point.

The point I am making is I believe there are more suitable candidates for our captaincy than a declining squad player with communication and confidence problems.

Also, Andy Mitten is no less a "bloke off the internet" than I am, and you have no idea what my connections are, you know nothing about me other than supposing that just because I post on here I couldn't possibly have any genuine knowledge of anything. That's your perogative, but it's a bit of an unfair assumption.

Kazi

Ridiculous decision. Non-English speaking Valencia who once handed the Number 7 jersey back after one season wearing it 'cause he couldn't handle the pressure.
Meanwhile video's are doing the rounds on social media of Pogba rallying the French dressing room to World Cup glory.

Classic 'My way or the high way' José - Trolling level: Grand Master.
Lol @ the idea of Pogba being captain. No chance.

MadMike

What's worst about this is that this means Valencia will be our fist choice next season, and by the looks of it Mourinho is happy with that.
You mean like Carrick getting the armband last season meant he was our first choice in midfield?

Jose values seniority - among other things - he isn't the first manager to do so and he certainly won't be the last.

Don't know what you're getting so worked up about, it's not like his performance in the role of captain will have any real impact on the team in terms of results. It's an armband, nothing more.
Valencia being captain wont have an effect on results, I can be certain about that. But just imagine if we had someone like Kompany, or Vidic, or Cantona - players that can inspire others on the pitch.

MadMike

Valencia being captain wont have an effect on results, I can be certain about that. But just imagine if we had someone like Kompany, or Vidic, or Cantona - players that can inspire others on the pitch.
Pogba, Lukaku and Ashely Young. They can do it without the armband. It's not like only people with armbands can be vocal towards teammates.

For Mourinho the armband is strictly honorific.

Pogba, Lukaku and Ashely Young. They can do it without the armband. It's not like only people with armbands can be vocal towards teammates.

For Mourinho the armband is strictly honorific.
So our younger players should look for guidance and inspiration from anyone but our Captain? Seems a strange way of doing things.

Morpheus 7

Valencia shouldn't be our main full back going forward, never mind captain. He can't speak English still, why not give it to Dave. Jose is on a roll of being an annoying bstard, since we started pre season.

ravi2

Odd we have a captain who is a full back who cannot cross the ball or communicate effectively in English.

wtf is this from Jose?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Therein lies the problem, we do not have those type of players at the club currently. Vidic was the last genuine leader to play for United some 5 years ago, it's criminal that he is yet to be properly replaced but that's just the way it is.

Jose can only choose from his current selection of players and not one of them, in my honest opinion, is a genuine leader of men. Valencia does, at least, represent himself as a model professional. He will lead by example rather than the power of his vocal chords.

My dad always said the greatest captain he ever saw at United was Martin Buchan, and he was as quiet as a mouse by all accounts. Let's give Valencia a shot as captain, see how he carries himself and his responsibilities before we denounce the idea right off the bat.

Craig Ward

No. I didn't insinuate that he was.
That said, he's shown more leadership qualities on the pitch and in those dressing room speeches than Valencia has in the entirety of last season and his whole Utd career.
So Pogba is shown on 1 video making 1 speech and he's all of a sudden a leader of sorts?

How convenient a social media video has emerged which contains Pogba...............yawn.

Pogba's performances on the pitch for club and country show very little in terms of leadership for me. How many times has he rallied the troops and drove utd forward from midfield and dictated games in the last 2 years? Not that often. Not as often as you'd expect from him that's for sure. Often goes missing, but he's good for a fancy flick now and then so long as the you tube clowns are happy he must be the best most commanding midfielder of this generation.

Valencia may not be the most vocal or talented or fancy player, but he works his socks off and always puts in a shift and has done for years. He's probably past it, but he deserves the captaincy more than most at utd, certainly more than pogba

Minimalist

Therein lies the problem, we do not have those type of players at the club currently. Vidic was the last genuine leader to play for United some 5 years ago, it's criminal that he is yet to be properly replaced but that's just the way it is.

Jose can only choose from his current selection of players and not one of them, in my honest opinion, is a genuine leader of men. Valencia does, at least, represent himself as a model professional. He will lead by example rather than the power of his vocal chords.

My dad always said the greatest captain he ever saw at United was Martin Buchan, and he was as quiet as a mouse by all accounts. Let's give Valencia a shot as captain, see how he carries himself and his responsibilities before we denounce the idea right off the bat.
Smalling, Matic, Lukaku are all good leaders. Pogba too potentially.

Conor

People need to show a bit more respect to Valencia, regardless of their opinion on this decision. He comes from extreme poverty and had very little education from what I've read, learning a language is probably a very difficult thing for many coming from that sort of background. He can obviously speak English to some degree, but may not be comfortable doing it for press etc. as others have said.

For the people suggesting Pogba as captain, his behaviour when playing badly isn't befitting a captain. I couldn't give a shite about his haircuts or any of the other gripes people have with him, but far too often his temperament is not what is required of a captain on the pitch. No question that Lukaku would be ahead in the queue.

Reactions: Sultan

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Smalling, Matic, Lukaku are all good leaders. Pogba too potentially.
To an extent, maybe, but none of them is of the Keane, Cantona or Vidic mould. Pogba is not mature enough to excel in the role right now. Then again, you could argue that giving him the responsibility of the armband just might liven him up somewhat.

buckooo1978

You get the feeling the contenders for captain were going to come from Matic, Valencia, Fellaini and McTominay

decorativeed

Maybe thoughtful or considered, but I wouldn't put it that way. He had a similar temperament to Fergie in many ways and thought nothing of giving one of his players a bollocking and sometimes a whack in the face on the pitch if necessary!

shaky

Odd we have a captain who is a full back who cannot cross the ball or communicate effectively in English.

wtf is this from Jose?
Should a fullback's ability to cross the ball have any influence on whether he's able to be captain or not?

MadMike

So our younger players should look for guidance and inspiration from anyone but our Captain? Seems a strange way of doing things.
Not really strange, no. The young players can look at the leaders for guidance. The leaders don't have to wear an armband. Neither Lukaku for Belgium nor Pogba for France wore armbands but they were clearly leaders, or part of the leader group, for their respective teams.

It's a different way of doing things, but it's neither weird nor strange nor unusual for that matter.

goober88

Leading by performance is a thing. Steven Gerrard did that and notably had Carragher as his 'lieutenant' to do his talking. Henry has said that Vieira's e.g. tackling inspired the team. Rio singled Beckham out as a good captain too.

Considering Valencia performs consistently and determinedly, I'd say it's a great choice.

decorativeed

Leading by performance is a thing. Steven Gerrard did that and notably had Carragher as his 'lieutenant' to do his talking. Henry has said that Vieira's e.g. tackling inspired the team. Rio singled Beckham out as a good captain too.

Considering Valencia performs consistently and determinedly, I'd say it's a great choice.
Now, I'm not saying Valencia is a bad guy or a terrible player, but you can't seriously compare him and his performances favourably to any of the players you mentioned, can you? Are our players supposed to draw strength and courage from his trademark run up to the edge of the box, repeated feints to pass, before turning and rolling the ball backwards?

decorativeed

I didn't say he was on their level, which is a rather annoying and persistent misinterpretation when two players are mentioned together. I said that performance can a good captain make.

Nah, none of that good play lark. In fact, I'd go as far as to say if you care about that, you have testicles the size of beads and your female, if you had one, would probably cheat on you. Speaking hypothetically, of course. What would inspire the others is his determination/battling nature/winning mentality. It's admitted by all that he is a 'beast.' I mean, the guy is literally a solider. This is pretty obvious from what I said before but I guess you weren't paying attention.
I know you're new here, but wading into a discussion armed with nothing but personal attacks, a patronising tone and using the Jamie Redknapp definition of 'literally' is not going to do you any favours.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The no of people collectively losing their minds over this insignificant thing :lol::lol:
If you think a captain, who is by definition the leader of the team, who sets the tone for the rest, is insignificant, I wonder what you think IS significant.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Valencia doesn't exactly take the game by the scruff of the neck like those you mentioned. Nor is he anywhere near as vocal or as much of a talisman as those. Those you mentioned were obvious captain material.

To then say you weren't comparing these players and Valencia is quite strange, considering you clearly were.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm of this this school of thought as well. I'm just not fussed. This will not be the difference between winning and losing. Meh.
It's just another example of not moving forward or doing anything other than the dullest possible option for me. I think that's what I don't like about it.

I love Antonio and what he's given to the club, even if I've wanted an improvement at rb. I just don't think he's captain material, at a time when we really need motivation and don't seem to get it from the manager. Obviously others can speak up and stake a claim to it without the armband, and they should, but it just doesn't inspire me and I doubt it does the players.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He can’t speak English and hardly leads by example, being shit. What are we doing as a club.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
The no of people collectively losing their minds over this insignificant thing :lol::lol:
I don't see anyone "losing their minds".

It's a poor decision, and for a not entirely insignificant issue. No harm in calling that out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's an old, respected hand but doesn't strike me as the most vocal. To be honest captaincy isn't a huge deal in football; we need leaders all over the pitch. I think Rom has shown great leadership credentials recently so that's more encouraging to me than who gets to wear the armband.

EDIT: Pogba too.
Serious question but how good is his actual english?

I know people say he can speak a bit but seems odd to me he's been in this country 12 years and yet dosen't even do a simple interview which you would expect as captain of the club.

Calling Fellani "Manuel" :lol:

I've always liked him as a player though but can understand people wanting to see more dynamic option than him or Young as the fullbacks.

RedDevil@84

It's because a lot of people believe that the selection of a club captain shouldn't actually be an insignificant thing.
Only if we view it as a matter of prestige or an indication of anything (like my captain plays). Otherwise the club captain is not significantly going to alter the way we play or the results we get.
And it is hardly a case where we have loads of captaincy capable players around us.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm not bothered whether you believe me or not, I'm just saying I take stock in the words of someone who has spent 30-40 hours a week with the guy for the last few years than a journalist who has met him a handful of times at best. Whether you or anyone else here believes me is beside the point.

The point I am making is I believe there are more suitable candidates for our captaincy than a declining squad player with communication and confidence problems.

Also, Andy Mitten is no less a "bloke off the internet" than I am, and you have no idea what my connections are, you know nothing about me other than supposing that just because I post on here I couldn't possibly have any genuine knowledge of anything. That's your perogative, but it's a bit of an unfair assumption.
Andy Mitten is pretty good journalist in fairness. Telling point of the article though is he had a chat with Valencia in Spanish during that training session to praise him. Obviously Mourinho can speak Spanish incredibly well but tells you he wasn't confident Valencia would understand the message as well if he had said it in English which I would assume would be the language used in the training sessions.