Antonio Valencia wants to improve his weak foot

Marcky411

What next? Martial to learn how to smile? Pogba to stop getting his hair cut like a twat? Fellaini to learn how to keep his elbows to himself?
:lol: well Fellaini has got a lot better with his elbows compared to what he was.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For a seasoned professional to make a comment like that at the age of 32 is embarrassing really.
He should have spent hours and hours working at basic weaknesses such as this from a very early age.

JohnnyKills

What, one of the best, if not the best right back last season encapsulates our mediocrity in recent years?
He was bought to replace Ronaldo but was eventually shunted back to right-back because he didn't offer enough attacking threat.

Ibi Dreams

Sorry but the fact that people are calling those two left footed crosses "good" shows how far standards have fallen for him. They were far from "good". If you want to see a good cross, watch Salah's set up for Sturridge.
Not that Salah's wasn't great, but it was in a totally different situation to the one Valencia usually finds himself in. Liverpool were countering and there was a lot of space to cross the ball into, whereas Valencia is usually trying to cross it into a crowded box. That's a lot harder, though I wouldn't be confident of him putting a good ball in even if we're countering and the other team are running back towards goal

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
We were treated to two special events on Saturday, two balls (one a direct cross) into the box from Tony Valencia with his left foot*, the two best balls played into the box all day.................why doesn't he do it more often??:confused:

(*If in doubt about these special events watch full match on video)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have seen very little evidence that Messi's right foot is very good - it's one of his weaker sides. Robben is awful with his right foot, is pretty predictable, but is still one of the best wingers out there. Giggs cut inside quite a lot, but he still didn't shoot that much with his right. That being said, he did score some screamers with his right foot - Valencia has one goal with his left? I'm not defending Valencia here. I'm merely stating that other players, better than him, have made pretty good careers whilst still being one footed and not being criticized as much for it. Nani was probably our last properly two footed attacking player.
Watch that chip on Neuer then

andy0

Totally agree. Albeit at my very amateur level, when I used to play football at school, I went from being one footed to equally 2 footed in 6 months, through twice weekly repetition.

If you put your mind to it, and get the right guidance, its relatively easy. Modern day footballers have no excuse whatsoever for being weak on one foot.

Shame he didn't do it years ago.
Same here. Somewhere in Carrington must be a wall a bit like the one in my back garden, or much better. Just keep kicking it against a wall for half an hour most evenings. I read that Bobby Charlton used to do this, so it makes sense for anyone.

SteveW

I don't see why not? Your body doesn't just stop responding to training at 30+. Improving your weak foot is mostly strengthening and straightening out your awkward technique.

When I played in goal, I was completely one footed. Couldn't even play a 10 yard pass along the ground with my left, and I needed to work on it as I couldn't make clearances with it. I'd just spoon the ball out for a throw with my stronger foot. Only took a few months of repetitive use and doing a bit of work in the gym to bring it up to speed and be able to play accurate clearances and long passes with it. And that was from going from being completely one footed. I was younger when I did that, but I don't see why I couldn't do it again now if I needed to, at the same age as Valencia, and Valencia is obviously in much better physical condition than me, and he isn't completely one footed anyway. In the last 2-3 years, he's delivered pretty decent left foot crosses and he's always been able to control and play simple passes with it.

There's a great deal of one footed players who will awkwardly try to scoop the ball with the outside of their stronger foot, rather than playing the ball with their weaker foot. It's annoying to see at such a high level. I remember Chris Waddle ranting about it on 5 Live (I think?) a few years ago, saying that when football training is your 9 to 5 and the facilities available to professional players, there should be no such thing as a one footed player. He himself said he was one footed, and put in a few months work to improve it. He was a very two footed player in his prime, yet rather one footed when he was younger.
100% correct. You read some daft ideas on here. I'm also 32 and see absolutely no reason why I couldn't improve my left foot. It's just about strengthening and creating neural pathways in the brain through practice. Waddle is dead right. No professional player should be one footed. It's just about practice.

Redlyn

In time for what? Legends or charity matches?

At the same time it's never to late to improve oneself.

spwd

I have seen very little evidence that Messi's right foot is very good - it's one of his weaker sides. Robben is awful with his right foot, is pretty predictable, but is still one of the best wingers out there. Giggs cut inside quite a lot, but he still didn't shoot that much with his right. That being said, he did score some screamers with his right foot - Valencia has one goal with his left? I'm not defending Valencia here. I'm merely stating that other players, better than him, have made pretty good careers whilst still being one footed and not being criticized as much for it. Nani was probably our last properly two footed attacking player.
The point being that most one footed players still use their weak foot for passes etc but Valencia won't use it for anything at all.

Rossa

The point being that most one footed players still use their weak foot for passes etc but Valencia won't use it for anything at all.
No doubt he hardly uses it at all. That being said, he has developed a technique with his right foot that enables him to work pass the issue of having to use his left foot. He is one of our best short passers in tight corners.

Just to make it clear, I'm not in any way excusing his lack of a good left foot.

Craig Ward

All for players trying to improve and push on. I do question the timing of this revelation seeing as he's played right wing or right back all his career. Some 10+ years of professional game time and he didn't think to make this adjustment until 32? Seems odd.

But he's our first choice right back for this and maybe next season, so good luck to him. Hope he improves

NoLogo

For a seasoned professional to make a comment like that at the age of 32 is embarrassing really.
He should have spent hours and hours working at basic weaknesses such as this from a very early age.
Give the guy a break. All these years he was working on mastering his crossing with his right foot. Now that he has done that he will move on to the next thing.

finndt

Pretty funny to see how the defender lets the left side wide open, as many do against Valencia, because he always tries to beat his man from the right or stops and gives an easy pass.

He's been doing this through his career and all the players know it.

Feedingseagulls

Did anyone else notice how he made a real point of celebrating with Martial? I wonder if they have been working together in extra training on his left-foot shot.

Greck

That shot opens up for him 2-3 times every game. Only needed to score 1 or 2 for defenders to rethink how they defend him

Roeindo

He will master it when his 35..not bad for a left bloomer..

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Proud of him. Yes he should have done it years ago, but the fact he has actually gone and done it.. kudos to him.

Dash247

What a screamer he scored the other day. I love seeing players who could cut in from right wing or right back and scoring with their left foot and vice versa. Most of the time they end up being beautiful goals.

Swift Football

He needs to work on his right foot first. Baby steps Toni, baby steps...

da dum tish
He is okay with right foot. One of the main reasons why he fail to cross is because of his predictibility. Opponent defender knows he has to use right foot, so maintains his body position in a way that he checks one side and leaves much more space in Valencia's left foot side. IF Valencia starts using left foot to cross, then he will be little more unpredictable and his crossing stats might improve.