Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
2 deflected goals, at least one of which was going wide against CSKA. Hence my reservation at proclaiming him a dependable goalscorer just yet.

Trust you to try and glaze over it, and the point that despite being the best crosser at the club in your opinion he hasnt created much this season. Having had so many attempts to cross the ball this season that must be a surprise to you eh
:lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
How is fact a criticism?

Did I criticise him of being shit?
If it wasn't a criticism then what was it?

No-one said he's world class or a world class crosser so the only way that can be perceived is as a criticism.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Valencia has a decent cross on him. Hargreaves and Rooney are our best crossers and nobody really comes close.

And I am sick of this "limited player, one dimensional" bullshit. Valencia has been great this season after a slow start. After Evra and Giggs he has been our BEST player this season. I believe on this very website he won Man of the Month for Oct and Nov.

I like his game. I like his directness. Is he faster than Ronaldo? Maybe not over long distances but in a short burst only Lennon can match his speed IMO. He is also a pretty strong guy and is not afraid to be physical.

Old Trafford needs to start chanting Ecuador! Ecuador! Ecuador! whenever he scores or sets one up. Imagine this happening when a certain little cnut was in town? Pure magic.

Ekeke

Valencia has a decent cross on him. Hargreaves and Rooney are our best crossers and nobody really comes close.

And I am sick of this "limited player, one dimensional" bullshit. Valencia has been great this season after a slow start. After Evra and Giggs he has been our BEST player this season. I believe on this very website he won Man of the Month for Oct and Nov.

I like his game. I like his directness. Is he faster than Ronaldo? Maybe not over long distances but in a short burst only Lennon can match his speed IMO. He is also a pretty strong guy and is not afraid to be physical.

Old Trafford needs to start chanting Ecuador! Ecuador! Ecuador! whenever he scores or sets one up. Imagine this happening when a certain little cnut was in town? Pure magic.
Mr. Fletcher would like a word with you.

RedDevilCanuck

bring him on.

Anyone doubting Valencia's effectiveness this season hasn't watched our games. The guy has been fantastic and you can clearly see the confidence in him growing.

davisjw

Valencia hasn't impressed me yet. Lots of running forward to the flag, cutting in and losing it or getting a deflection. He's been in soooo many good positions to score if he wasn't so afraid to take the chance with his left...

Give him a C+ so far.

Godfather

bring him on.

Anyone doubting Valencia's effectiveness this season hasn't watched our games. The guy has been fantastic and you can clearly see the confidence in him growing.
Far from fantastic, but he has been good, consistent and effective for us, that's for sure.
Has developed into a very important part of our squad

F-Red

I'm impressed by the speed he's settled into the side, i was willing to give him a season or so to bed him in & understand the United way of playing. Nonetheless, he'll only get better for us, which considering the performances he's put in so far this season, is very encouraging to see.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Valencia hasn't impressed me yet. Lots of running forward to the flag, cutting in and losing it or getting a deflection. He's been in soooo many good positions to score if he wasn't so afraid to take the chance with his left...

Give him a C+ so far.
And yet he has scored 5 goals. Stop whinin and accept that he's not Ronaldo.

Godfather

I'm impressed by the speed he's settled into the side, i was willing to give him a season or so to bed him in & understand the United way of playing. Nonetheless, he'll only get better for us, which considering the performances he's put in so far this season, is very encouraging to see.
Well playing in the PL before joining us certainly is a main factor for that, but you are right, he has settled in very well within a short time

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's been nowhere near "fantastic"
He was for a six or seven week period. Our best player, with Evra the only one close. Over the last few weeks his form has started to drop again, but then so has everyone else and I don't really expect that to turn around until we get some defenders back and release Fletcher and Carrick back into the midfield.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
If this thread shows anything its that alot of posters don't understand that becoming a united first teamer is for some players a steady process its not simply a case of turn up and sparkle then keep sparkling for everyone. Some players will have slight inconsistancy during the first season with us.

Having said all this Antonio has done very well so far, when we signed him SAF said words to the effect of "we know what he brings to the squad and we also think we know where we can help the boy improve" and you can see this. Valencia is by no means the finished article, his crossing needs to be more consistant(when he is on song its excellent) his decision making is good but can get better, having better close control would help him immensely and he need to use his left foot more. However there is still a cracking player there as he is.

He has a good eye for goal, blistering pace, supprisingly good passing for a winger and excellent work rate and crossing ability. We have a good player in Valencia and we all should be more positive about him, whilst remaining realistic about where he needs to improve.

Eriku

I'm a lot more concerned about him barely being able to stand on his left foot, let alone pass with it. It renders him ridiculously predictable at times. People say Becks has/had a shite left foot, but he could cross and shoot with it, and sometimes to wonderful effect.

Nani crosses better than Valencia, even with his left, when he can be arsed. We saw that LOADS in his first season, where he often used his acceleration and quick feet to get the space to get to the byline for the cross with the left, and then he'd cross an absolute peach (considering it's his weak foot) nearly every time. What's happened with Nani, I don't know, but for the time being I'll not be too critical of Valencia, as he's clearly our best winger atm.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
And yet he has scored 5 goals. Stop whinin and accept that he's not Ronaldo.
He doesn't have to be Ronaldo to be able to use his left foot. I know of at least two occasions where his "run around the ball and take it with my right foot instead of playing a simple pass with the left" routine has given the opponents scoring opportunities.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
He doesn't have to be Ronaldo to be able to use his left foot. I know of at least two occasions where his "run around the ball and take it with my right foot instead of playing a simple pass with the left" routine has given the opponents scoring opportunities.
And how many times have that happen, twice? Why make a big deal of him loosing the ball when going on a run? Anderson has given the ball away countless of the times with his natural foot, that would be much more worrying.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He has been really impressive, in the first few matches I was quite apprehensive but glad to see I am being proved wrong. The Main criticism that people had of him when he first signed was that he didn't score enough goals but he has proven most of us wrong with a very good scoring rate for a winger(whose name is not Ronaldo). Even Fergie said that Valencia is gonna take 1 year or so to properly develop his football, once he starts getting a bit of consistency in his crossing, he will be a top winger. The signs so far have been very promising

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
As a winger tere is nothing wrong wit this lad. Everyone is just spoiled nowadyas.

Cina

He was 16m in a completely over inflated Summer market.

He's therefore perfectly justified his price tag so far,for me.

Clique

Its also important to remember that this lad has just turned 24. Comparatively young. He's done very very well so far. The problem as far as i see it is the other side of the pitch, Giggsy is our best winger and he's not getting any younger. The problem is that Both Goggs and Giggs are turning up in equal measure because of the amount games he has to play. I'm sorry to turn this into a Nani thread, but if Nani does exactly the same things that Valencia does i can safely say that he'd have the left wing spot stitched up.

Unfortunately for all of us. He just doesn't seem to be able to do that.

Devilton

After a relatively quiet start he has started to express himself and show the team and the supporters what he is capable off. Bearing in mind he has only been at the club for half a season he has done tremendously well. Has he had poor games? Of course he has...so have scholes, giggs, rooney, berbatov and oh, yeah everyone else on the squad and everyone else who plays football in the premier league.

The lad has had a fantastic start to his United career bearing in mind who he was brought in to replace. He's still got a ways to go, and I do believe we have yet to see the best of Antonio Valencia. Those of us who are impatient and arrogant enough to suggest he won't get better need to have a word with themselves.

Then they should feck off and support some other team because I find it hard to believe they can support United. We don't buy stars....We make them. Remember that!

Ekeke

Its also important to remember that this lad has just turned 24. Comparatively young. He's done very very well so far. The problem as far as i see it is the other side of the pitch, Giggsy is our best winger and he's not getting any younger. The problem is that Both Goggs and Giggs are turning up in equal measure because of the amount games he has to play. I'm sorry to turn this into a Nani thread, but if Nani does exactly the same things that Valencia does i can safely say that he'd have the left wing spot stitched up.

Unfortunately for all of us. He just doesn't seem to be able to do that.
Nani could have done a lot more than he has so far this season. However, no matter what he could have done, Giggs has been the best left winger in europe this season. So there are no guarantees he'd be our first choice left winger even if he was playing to the best of his ability. He'd be getting more games than he is now though, thats for sure.

RedDevilCanuck

After a relatively quiet start he has started to express himself and show the team and the supporters what he is capable off. Bearing in mind he has only been at the club for half a season he has done tremendously well. Has he had poor games? Of course he has...so have scholes, giggs, rooney, berbatov and oh, yeah everyone else on the squad and everyone else who plays football in the premier league.

The lad has had a fantastic start to his United career bearing in mind who he was brought in to replace. He's still got a ways to go, and I do believe we have yet to see the best of Antonio Valencia. Those of us who are impatient and arrogant enough to suggest he won't get better need to have a word with themselves.

Then they should feck off and support some other team because I find it hard to believe they can support United. We don't buy stars....We make them. Remember that!
Well said. His future is bright. No doubt about it. And I do think he has been fantastic.

Replacing the best player in the world in the best club in the world is a feckin tough task. People would be creaming themselves if he was Brazilian or Spanish or bought from a big club somewhere in Europe. But he is Ecuador and bought from Wigan so he will never get much press.

Imagine Valencia forming a partnership with Rafael or Hargreaves. No team could deal with that pace and power. Fergie was spot on buying a proven PL right winger.

OneUnited24

I thought Park gave us more of a threat in the final third than Valencia today... and thats saying something! Lad seems like hes just going through a dip in form right now he'll be back, lets not forget he was quality for us a while back (like a month ago was it?)

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
And how many times have that happen, twice? Why make a big deal of him loosing the ball when going on a run? Anderson has given the ball away countless of the times with his natural foot, that would be much more worrying.
I'm not talking about when he's going on a run. I'm talking about when he's shielding the ball in our half and instead of hoofing the ball with his left he tries to run around it and take it with his right.

I'm finding myself being pissed off with his inability to use his left foot, despite the good performances he's putting in. For a player earning £70k a week you'd expect him to be able to use both feet to play football.

Cold_Boy

He wasn't ever fantastic this season for us.

He is a decent player,nothing more.

Did well last months but has below par this month.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
He's done nothing to suggest he is ever going to be a quality player for us. He's done well, and of course he should be given more time, but you look at the wingers we've had throughout the 90's and the 00's, and Valencia just doesn't stack up to them. It's our worst set of wide players in a long time.

OneUnited24

Worst game for Valencia so far.

Hes had a good season so far though, but I agree with Elvis, hes never going to be a star for us.
Bit harsh, lets not forget hes not exact old (24?) and this is his first season at the club - sometimes it takes players a while to fully make the step up and hes been doing alright. Granted he may never be Ronaldo great but hes still a good player who will learn by being around better players and get better in time.

To say he will never be a star for us seems foolish.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Didn't actually think he had that bad of a game, few others played worse than he did. One thing that did annoy me was that he seemed to repeatingly ignore Rafael's overlapping runs. Could tell even the youngster was pissed off at him right before he went off.

Alex

Today shows why he was an utter waste of money.
You say this, and I say the same about Tosic but for reason I am the one that is attacked over it.

He was shit today, but let's be honest 17 million only buys so much these days

Enigma_87

You know who
That people being overly critical of O'Shea are just as spolit as people being overly critical of Valencia, if not more so.
O'Shea is a different case. He was considered a great prospect in his first season and then many were disappointed with his development(i/e world class full back). However he proved solid player for club and country and improved slowly in versatile positions as well.

As for Valencia, odd to say he can't cross a ball as that is one of his main assets. Nani can put some great crosses, but as his overall game isn't consistent at doing so. Valencia's inability to work with his left peg sends Nani on the left as he couldn't switch wings with him. However even with Portugal, Nani, despite putting some great crosses also wasn't consistent in them in his last couple of games.

Nani proved to be great corner taker in his debut season as we scored like 3-4 goals(?) off his crosses. But again he isn't consistent like Giggs taking them. He puts a lot short, resulting at being cleared away by the opposition.

Valencia has assisted for Rooney's goal against Wigan from a cross. Otherwise he has to learn(and is) to look up before sending the ball in the box.

It's safe to say he's definitely behind Giggs in terms of crossing, but otherwise it's debatable with Nani. Park, Obertan clearly are not better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.