Antony at leftback…

Valencia Shin Crosses

We should try him at left wing first. I would like to see him whip in crosses from the byline.

He is not a good passer so I don't understand how some of you want him as a CM.
He's an even worse crosser so I don't know why you still want him in attack. At least at CM his main job would be tackling people and retaining possession, the only two things he's decent at

USREDEVIL

Antony needs to change careers. Be one of those street performers at the beach with a football. Bet he could entertain loads.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I had this down in the “how can we get best value out of Antony (or similarly themed thread)” :lol:

Tbf, I did put in a disclaimer to say we should sell and this suggestion was only half-joking! Guys been a total waste.

USREDEVIL

I had this down in the “how can we get best value out of Antony (or similarly themed thread)” :lol:

Tbf, I did put in a disclaimer to say we should sell and this suggestion was only half-joking! Guys been a total waste.
Some posters take shit way too seriously innit?

el3mel

He's an even worse crosser so I don't know why you still want him in attack. At least at CM his main job would be tackling people and retaining possession, the only two things he's decent at
Being a good midfielder requires a lot more than just these 2 skills though. I mean, awareness of the surroundings and vision for passing.. Etc. He can be all over the place if he's not built for this.

Tackling and possession retaining can work more for him as a left back operating in a more limited area than the entire midfield, with the occasional crosses when he's in good position. I think it can work. I don't think he will be worse there than how he's on the wing.

Cloud7

It won't be long before we can field an entire XI of current Man Utd players in their weird suggested positions that will somehow make them viable footballers. So far we have Lindelöf as DM, McTominay as striker, Antony as left back, and Mount as left wing.
:lol:

cyberman

All he does is run into people. If someone isn’t there for a 1 yard pass and move then he’s lost.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
https://theanalyst.com/na/2024/02/antony-from-marquee-signing-to-fourth-choice/

One area where he can’t be faulted is his defensive work rate. The Opta Radar below shows how he ranks in the 99th percentile among forwards in the Premier League this season (min. 500 minutes played) for possession regains and in the 96th percentile for defensive actions. Considering United’s desire to press high, these are obviously important traits.

Doubt EtH would do it but we are in crisis that position. It's worth a shout.

bitcoin

I would like to see him on the left wing, where his workrate can offer some help to Lindelof or whoever else is covering at LB.

Playing him on the left wing would also curb his tendency to keep cutting inside.

Wrecking ralf

Can he actually cross a ball with his left? Not sure I’ve ever seen him on that side attempting to cross a ball

Lee565

If antony is as great as ten hag gushes then surely he has the ability to be adaptable, I don't know why ten hag won't try thinking out of the box with trying players elsewhere in the pitch, especially when we have nothing to lose with a player not performing well in his current position or lacking depth due to injuries, pep constantly has done it with moving players into different positions, same with klopp and arteta as well as fergie and van gaal in the past, I mean fergie use to do it in some of our biggest games of the season.

Not expecting him to do it at the start of a tough game but at least try it when there is comfortable gap in the match (hardly happens to be fair) or when playing weak opposition in Cup games (like our last fa cup match).

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Are we hoping for like a reverse Bale situation here?

Wouldn't Antony need attributes in addition to "trying hard" and "running about" to play there?

CallyRed

He might have a Joelinton moment and realise he has qualities best suited to another position...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just like Mount, we can't judge him when he doesn't get enough playing minutes there.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
There we go. That was the set up, finished with aplomb
We're like a modern version of one of history's greatest comedic duos. The new Laurel and Hardy, Morecambe and Wise, Maguire and Lindelof, etc.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
https://theanalyst.com/na/2024/02/antony-from-marquee-signing-to-fourth-choice/

One area where he can’t be faulted is his defensive work rate. The Opta Radar below shows how he ranks in the 99th percentile among forwards in the Premier League this season (min. 500 minutes played) for possession regains and in the 96th percentile for defensive actions. Considering United’s desire to press high, these are obviously important traits.

Doubt EtH would do it but we are in crisis that position. It's worth a shout.
Really don't think it is. Possession regains and defensive tackles from right wing is massively different to playing at left back. He's in the bottom 10th percentile for aerial duels, for instance -- he'd get roasted and toasted at back post defending. He's never had to hold a defensive line, know when to step up etc.

It sounds alright on paper, just won't work in practice.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Really don't think it is. Possession regains and defensive tackles from right wing is massively different to playing at left back. He's in the bottom 10th percentile for aerial duels, for instance -- he'd get roasted and toasted at back post defending. He's never had to hold a defensive line, know when to step up etc.

It sounds alright on paper, just won't work in practice.
His defensive attitude is already high, it's not like you asking him to do something he doesn't do naturally. Skills can be taught and developed, and he's young enough.

Oranges038

If Kieran Richardson could do a job at left back, then Antony should be able to.

Footyislife

What a top club would do with an intelligent DoF is measure player athletic performance in EPL and establish baseline values for agility, acceleration, pace, strength for each role. As a Brazilian, I don't need that data to tell you Antony is too slow to play in the EPL as a RW. Let alone a LB having to make recovery runs.

He's best deployed as a roaming playmaker AM with overlapping Fullbacks or Wingbacks. But that's only if he gets better at passing. He gets tunnel vision with his shot and misses opportunities to create chances. Which is why he gets benched for the national team. Him and Rashford combined is what disrupts our offensive flow and makes us look really bad. We just need to find 2 players in Garnacho's mold and we'd be scoring for fun.

Bondi77

He is just a shit footballer that we are stuck with and we have made him a very rich man.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Invent a new position for him. Somewhere between right back and right wing but never going inside like typical right midfield. Outer right midfielder.