Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suv666

The average of our right wing is Juan mata, Elanga and occasionally Rashford. He is WAY above average walking into our side.
That shouldn't be the standard, we shouldn't be recruiting relative to what we've got. Good luck building a silverware winning team with that approach.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That shouldn't be the standard, we shouldn't be recruiting relative to what we've got. Good luck building a silverware winning team with that approach.
Like Antony isn't? the guy is class and all the stats point to it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Looks like the kind of player I’d absolutely love, skill, pace, trickery! I do think for his sake he should join someone else though, there’s a massive part of this fanbase that can’t stand flair players and will hound him if we don’t perform as a team. Pogba, Martial etc have a cult of people that can’t stand them despite the fact they have been hugely entertaining players for us over the years. For now we’d be better with technical players with less flair that will rile up the fanbase less. Sad but it’s just true for now.
Wrong, they aren’t hated because they are flair players. Fans are frustrated because they know they could deliver so much more than once every 5 or 6 games. Fans love flair as long as there is some semblance of trying

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What stats?
Tadic and Haller have more goals+assists than him.
Good Lord you’re behind the times if that’s the only measure of a decent winger.

What do you think we need our wingers to do in a Ten Hag system? Then we can discuss who would be a good statistical fit from there.

bosskeano

Looks like the kind of player I’d absolutely love, skill, pace, trickery! I do think for his sake he should join someone else though, there’s a massive part of this fanbase that can’t stand flair players and will hound him if we don’t perform as a team. Pogba, Martial etc have a cult of people that can’t stand them despite the fact they have been hugely entertaining players for us over the years. For now we’d be better with technical players with less flair that will rile up the fanbase less. Sad but it’s just true for now.
That's the biggest load of bullshit i've ever read....first of all Pogba isn't a flair player, he's fuking lazy
martial has some flair to him but his attitude sucks and his effort is fuking useless

that's why the fanbase can't stand them ....don't give a fuk about flair or not. Ronaldo was a flair player during his spell at United but he produced the goods which is why everyone loved him. He had flair but he also had an end product.

captaincantona

If he tried that kind of step over /instep control in the PL even once he would find himself getting targeted big time. Ronaldinho was the only player I ever saw do those pointless bits of skill in a game and not want to slap. You have to be likeable to get away with it.

Idxomer

That's the biggest load of bullshit i've ever read....first of all Pogba isn't a flair player, he's fuking lazy
martial has some flair to him but his attitude sucks and his effort is fuking useless

that's why the fanbase can't stand them ....don't give a fuk about flair or not. Ronaldo was a flair player during his spell at United but he produced the goods which is why everyone loved him. He had flair but he also had an end product.
:lol:

Suv666

Good Lord you’re behind the times if that’s the only measure of a decent winger.

What do you think we need our wingers to do in a Ten Hag system? Then we can discuss who would be a good statistical fit from there.
Ah so you shouldn't judge a forward based on his goal involvements. Sure that makes sense.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Cmere lads, where are these stats that point to him being really good?

He passes the eye test for me so I'd love to be proven wrong, but he does seem a little wasteful and I'm not sure he'd adapt to the PL.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The Ajax team today and even recent matches without Antony is just full of average players. They are missing this guy a lot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Ajax team today and even recent matches without Antony is just full of average players. They are missing this guy a lot.
They definitely missed him. He opens up space for others with his fantastic dribbling ability, and has the penchant to create something out of nothing. Berghuis who replaced him on the right isn't even close to the ability of Antony.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
This is cool. It lines up perfectly with what I was saying here

There's a rawness to the amount of output in terms of things he tries, and the danger he creates, vs the actual result in terms of goals, I agree.

But I think that since clearly the technique, physical attributes, mental attributes (particularly his eye for the right pass), etc. are all there, that's only a matter of time.

I think even without that final clicking into place, he's still more or less unique as an engine of constant danger as a single player. The fact that this engine knows so well how to operate within a system is what makes him so good, and why he immediately overtook Neres, and was instantly one of our best players the second he landed in Amsterdam.

I think you could put him in United right now and he would create an immense amount difficulty for almost any opponent, and I think that has a lot of value in itself even without the complete translation to goals

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Feels an inevitable signing doesn’t it? With ETH all but confirmed, our weakness in that area and our relationship with Ajax it feels that way.

EtH

Feels an inevitable signing doesn’t it? With ETH all but confirmed, our weakness in that area and our relationship with Ajax it feels that way.
I hope so. Such huge potential and so fun to watch. We haven’t had a livewire like him in the side since Nani.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Definitely feels like one that checks too many boxes for ETH and the club. I guess it now all depends on 4th and the subsequent budget.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
28 goals in 128 apps in club football. Most of those games were in Holland

Another wide player who you have to doubt would ever score more than 10 goals a season from open play in the PL.

Where are all the goals going to come from if we keep signing players like Sancho and him? We are going to need a 40 goal a season striker to complete.

Infra-red

If we're in the market for left-footed right wingers, is Antony better than Raphinha?

I guess that they would cost a similar amount.

FriedClams

Another wide player who you have to doubt would ever score more than 10 goals a season from open play in the PL.

Where are all the goals going to come from if we keep signing players like Sancho and him? We are going to need a 40 goal a season striker to complete.
The idea is to put together players who compliment one another, and trust that their output will improve. Because of the danger Antony poses and the attention he gets, it freed up space for Sebastian Haller to do what he’s good at and find the net. Assuming we do sign Antony, that means Sancho will make the left wing spot his own and then we have creativity and skill on both flanks for the first time in forever it seems. Naturally, whoever plays through the middle will find themselves with a good number of chances Per match. I think Antony is the perfect compliment to Jadon, but so much of it will depend on the players we put in the middle of the park. These guys need the ball zipped Into them with accuracy so they can just turn and go, and right now we don’t have a player that will consistently find a players feet.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Bruno, Striker, Sancho and Antony is enough goals isn't it? Each capable of double figures. Bruno 15+ and striker should be looking at 25+.

I know it isn't as simple as that, but that has to be the goal doesn't it?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

It’s a valid concern. For that reason alone I’d prefer Karim Adeyemi above all for the right, assuming MG is done.

That said, with the age of Sancho and Antony, there may also be reasonable expectation that goal output will increase.

cyberman

We have a goal scoring number 10 who will make up the difference. That and a new striker should be plenty for now imo

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We have a goal scoring number 10 who will make up the difference. That and a new striker should be plenty for now imo
If the #9 that comes in will also be our penalty taker then our 10 won’t make up the difference at all, he likely won’t be a 20 open play goalscorer. He’s more likely to get similar numbers to the wingers like 10-15.

cyberman

If the #9 that comes in will also be our penalty taker then our 10 won’t make up the difference at all, he likely won’t be a 20 open play goalscorer. He’s more likely to get similar numbers to the wingers like 10-15.
But he doesn’t need 20, 15 odd would do. Adding in his assist making as well more than makes up for it. Who else has that behind the front 3? City?
Say Sancho gets 10 next year and Antony hits 5 then you add in Bruno’s 15, that’s 30 goals either side of your striker. In a front three that’s more than enough, that’s the leeway Bruno gives us.
Hell last season we had Bruno, Marcus and Cavani hit 45 odd between them with Greenwood scoring 12. The season before the we had all our front 3 hit 20 goals plus.
I honestly believe we have too many goal scorers in our side and a player who creates and can pass a ball is a welcome addition. It’s why our attacking play is very ABC, knock it forward into space, down the line etc. it’s their striking instincts kicking in when they automatically try to cut in and get a shot away, we are a team that’s forgotten how to go on the outside.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

To be fair he's only just turned 22 this year. Too ealy to say that we have to doubt his quality based on that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But he doesn’t need 20, 15 odd would do. Adding in his assist making as well more than makes up for it. Who else has that behind the front 3? City?
Say Sancho gets 10 next year and Antony hits 5 then you add in Bruno’s 15, that’s 30 goals either side of your striker. In a front three that’s more than enough, that’s the leeway Bruno gives us.
Hell last season we had Bruno, Marcus and Cavani hit 45 odd between them with Greenwood scoring 12. The season before the we had all our front 3 hit 20 goals plus.
I honestly believe we have too many goal scorers in our side and a player who creates and can pass a ball is a welcome addition. It’s why our attacking play is very ABC, knock it forward into space, down the line etc. it’s their striking instincts kicking in when they automatically try to cut in and get a shot away, we are a team that’s forgotten how to go on the outside.
That’s fair enough. Although I also think Bruno would struggle to get 15 without pens too, certainly in the league anyway. But regarding a creator, I think Sancho will fill that role. I think one of each either side of a striker is ideal. A Sancho and a Greenwood/Rashford type. Especially as there is no guarantee that we are going to get the 25+ from whatever striker we bring in.

With regards to City, I think there situation is different. It all starts from back to front. Territorially, the team is good enough to play majority of the game in the right areas, so the goals will come. If we can sustain enough pressure and move the ball quickly and continuously around the final third, we can get goals from everywhere. Right now, the whole team isn’t good enough.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we're in the market for left-footed right wingers, is Antony better than Raphinha?

I guess that they would cost a similar amount.
Currently, Raphinha is probably better and I have seen Raphinha above Antony in pecking order of RW in national team. But Raphinha is 3 and half years older than Antony. I like Raphinha though since I have watched him more and I know the guy is quality.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That’s fair enough. Although I also think Bruno would struggle to get 15 without pens too, certainly in the league anyway. But regarding a creator, I think Sancho will fill that role. I think one of each either side of a striker is ideal. A Sancho and a Greenwood/Rashford type. Especially as there is no guarantee that we are going to get the 25+ from whatever striker we bring in.

With regards to City, I think there situation is different. It all starts from back to front. Territorially, the team is good enough to play majority of the game in the right areas, so the goals will come. If we can sustain enough pressure and move the ball quickly and continuously around the final third, we can get goals from everywhere. Right now, the whole team isn’t good enough.
Bruno already had 9 league goals without penalty this season in poor team. He wouldn't struggle to get that 15 league goals in much more creative team and if we assign him in the same role as Lampard was at Chelsea behind the striker, it's even very possible for Bruno to get that 15 league goals.

Pirlo'sBeard

It’s a valid concern. For that reason alone I’d prefer Karim Adeyemi above all for the right, assuming MG is done.

That said, with the age of Sancho and Antony, there may also be reasonable expectation that goal output will increase.
Adeyemi is away to Dortmund.

Status
Not open for further replies.