Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I agree with both posts as regards price. To think Leeds purchased him from Rennes for only 17M simply because their hand was forced to get him as an alternative to Daniel James! United should've sold James and should've been looking at the likes of Raphina. Amazing how united conducts business

Interesting comparisons but is is indeed too small a sample size. My issue with Antony is his petulance/penchant for the theatrical and showboating. His domestic stats in Holland are underwhelming for a player getting as much game time as he does in a dominant side to boot. Richarlison by comparison has faired better in a struggling Everton in a much tougher league for instance.

He would have to be more direct and cut out the nonsense to make a difference on English shores. Depay learned that lesson too late but it benefited him post United. I think Antony wouldn't be too dissimilar to Almiron at Newcastle. An obvious talent that needs more than just talent to cut it at a higher level
I suppose on that point we’d have to put faith in Ten Haag being able to show him the path to greatness and coach that into him.

I don’t think I’ve seen much in his play that is massively concerning with regards to showboating but I understand the Depay comparisons. I suppose the saving grace here is the player would be already known to the manager and not developing a new relationship. Ten Haag have him his big break so he’d potentially be more inclined to follow any advice given than Depay was.

United in sin

I suppose on that point we’d have to put faith in Ten Haag being able to show him the path to greatness and coach that into him.

I don’t think I’ve seen much in his play that is massively concerning with regards to showboating but I understand the Depay comparisons. I suppose the saving grace here is the player would be already known to the manager and not developing a new relationship. Ten Haag have him his big break so he’d potentially be more inclined to follow any advice given than Depay was.
The thing is Depay came to united after a successful world cup campaign under Van Gaal's tutelage. The two were very close but Depay let Van Gaal down and lost his place to Lingard.

The situation with Hag and Antony possibly coming in is similar with the major difference being that Ten Hag has no experience at this high level in a domestic league and will be under a lot of pressure himself from the jump with a steep learning curve. Antony will have to hit the ground running to help his manager and Ten Hag may not see him as the same player in these new surroundings as he'll need more from him than he did at Ajax

Last edited:

Golden Nugget

Thanks for sharing that a good little read.

The only intention of sharing such footage is to show he does have a high level of skill. While that is enjoyable it’s not the main reason I like him for our squad.
Yeah nothing wrong with you sharing it, it was a great watch. I’m just saying that if we do sign him, I’m going to hold off my excitement until I see what he does in the PL

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He played well under Ten Hag - I’d imagine he’d be confident to turn his form around and use him properly. Nothing we have seen so far resembles anything like his form at Ajax. He’s been shit to this point anyway.

I doubt he’d sell him first summer here.
Many players can't make the the up.

jesperjaap

The thing is Depay came to united after a successful world cup campaign under Van Gaal's tutelage. The two were very close but Depay let Van Gaal down and lost his place to Lingard.

The situation with Hag and Antiny coming in is similar with the major difference being that Ten Hag has no experience at this high level in a domestic league and will be under a lot of pressure himself from the jump. Antony will have to hit the ground running to help his manager and Ten Hag may not see him as the same player in these new surroundings as he'll need more from him than he did at Ajax
Seen little of ANtony but I dont understand the talk of Depay and his world cup I hear so often. From emmory at least he started mainly from the bench and was only pretty competent when he came on, was nothing outstanding at all, didnt get the fuss when we signed him at all, gone on to have a decent career but was never near the levels made out to be I felt and never has been since he left us

United in sin

Seen little of ANtony but I dont understand the talk of Depay and his world cup I hear so often. From emmory at least he started mainly from the bench and was only pretty competent when he came on, was nothing outstanding at all, didnt get the fuss when we signed him at all, gone on to have a decent career but was never near the levels made out to be I felt and never has been since he left us
Depay had a good 2014 world cup, and he was top scorer and Dutch player of the season in his final season at PSV before signing for united. He was given the number 7 shirt and was considered a very high profile and promising signing. The excitement was huge. His social media following went up astronomically and his United shirt sales shot up to third worldwide within a week of his signing being announced. So my contention is he was the best young player in Holland at the time with much better numbers than Antony but he flopped despite playing for a manager and fellow countryman who had a lot of faith in him

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't think the Memphis comparisons are entirely fair. Antony looks like a much more dynamic player. He's a lot more agile, quick footed, tricky. Memphis was a very effective player who did tricks, but he wasn't that agile really. He had a good shot, decent pace (but then kept bulking and lost a lot of it), and is generally a smart player with his technique, but isn't a quick/tricky winger. Memphis was asked to be something he wasn't here pretty much, and we signed Martial right away and also Rashford quickly broke through, 2 players who are much more dynamic than Memphis while competing for the same position. And then mentality things as well with Memphis thinking he was a star right away.

You never know how a signing will fit in mentality wise, but at least play style wise, we don't have any natural right wingers, no left footed attackers, and his competition would be Amad coming back from loan... So like... Not much.

United in sin

Don't think the Memphis comparisons are entirely fair. Antony looks like a much more dynamic player. He's a lot more agile, quick footed, tricky. Memphis was a very effective player who did tricks, but he wasn't that agile really. He had a good shot, decent pace (but then kept bulking and lost a lot of it), and is generally a smart player with his technique, but isn't a quick/tricky winger. Memphis was asked to be something he wasn't here pretty much, and we signed Martial right away and also Rashford quickly broke through, 2 players who are much more dynamic than Memphis while competing for the same position. And then mentality things as well with Memphis thinking he was a star right away.

You never know how a signing will fit in mentality wise, but at least play style wise, we don't have any natural right wingers, no left footed attackers, and his competition would be Amad coming back from loan... So like... Not much.
Not disagreeing, but it was Lingard who took Memphis place initially. I'm merely comparing their status in the Dutch league before signing for united (in the case of Antony its pure speculation).

Memphis was definitely the bigger and more high profile talent at 21 coming to united off a good world cup (where he became the youngest Dutch player to score at a world cup) and coming in as the Dutch player of the year and top scorer in the Eredevisie playing in a similar position as Antony although he played from the left primarily at PSV. Antony has the same goals and assists record as Richarlison has at a struggling Everton this season with similar minutes. Depay scored a wide range of goals for PSV from the left side and was one of the most productive young players in Europe. Antony doesn't come close to what Depay achieved at a younger age

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Memphis put on a bit too much muscle when he joined United, he used to look lean and quick at PSV but he really bulked up when he got to United.

He lost a lot of that explosive burst and acceleration/pace that he had as a winger. Eventually it played a part in him moving more centrally as an AM/CF for Lyon but it worked out for him to his credit.

Antony looks very lean and quick and you hardly ever see Brazilian forwards really bulky, Hulk would be the only exception I can think of. Pretty sure he'll stay being a winger. He also showcases that Brazilian flair often from the looks of it.

United in sin

Memphis put on a bit too much muscle when he joined United, he used to look lean and quick at PSV but he really bulked up when he got to United.

He lost a lot of that explosive burst and acceleration/pace that he had as a winger. Eventually it played a part in him moving more centrally as an AM/CF for Lyon but it worked out for him to his credit.

Antony looks very lean and quick and you hardly ever see Brazilian forwards really bulky, Hulk would be the only exception I can think of. Pretty sure he'll stay being a winger. He also showcases that Brazilian flair often from the looks of it.
You can add Julio Baptista and Adriano to that small list

United in sin

All the 90s forwards could also be described as bulky.
A lot were yes when you think about it. When it comes to Brazil not so much. Ronaldo and Adriano (not 90s prime player) just let themselves go, but Baptista was always bulky and he wasn't a 90s striker

TheReligion

Abusive
Looks like the kind of player I’d absolutely love, skill, pace, trickery! I do think for his sake he should join someone else though, there’s a massive part of this fanbase that can’t stand flair players and will hound him if we don’t perform as a team. Pogba, Martial etc have a **** of people that can’t stand them despite the fact they have been hugely entertaining players for us over the years. For now we’d be better with technical players with less flair that will rile up the fanbase less. Sad but it’s just true for now.
Complete and utter nonsense!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Looks like the kind of player I’d absolutely love, skill, pace, trickery! I do think for his sake he should join someone else though, there’s a massive part of this fanbase that can’t stand flair players and will hound him if we don’t perform as a team. Pogba, Martial etc have a **** of people that can’t stand them despite the fact they have been hugely entertaining players for us over the years. For now we’d be better with technical players with less flair that will rile up the fanbase less. Sad but it’s just true for now.
Yeah, people don't like Martial and Pogba cause they have flair, nailed it there lad.

United in sin

The players he mentions are vilified for a multitude of other reasons but the poster does have a point. When times are bad it's the flair players who get the most stick at united first and foremost when they stop producing. Nani would've been criticized to death in today's United. He got a lot of stick back then as well. There's some revisionism about how he was seen overall. The more direct players are given more rope because they're usually seen to be 'at least hardworking' and 'keeping it simple' even when they're producing nothing. It's the British way

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

I've not watched him that much but apparently he's been below par for a while now. Don't know how true that is, though.

I'd much prefer us to go for Raphinha if we were to get a right winger. Premier league proven and a top performer at that.

TheReligion

Abusive
The players he mentions are vilified for a multitude of other reasons but the poster does have a point. When times are bad it's the flair players who get the most stick at united first and foremost when they stop producing. Nani would've been criticized to death in today's United. The more direct players are given more rope because they're usually seen to be 'at least hardworking' and 'keeping it simple' even when they're producing nothing. It's the British way
It’s just normal. Nothing to do with United or being British. Just common sense.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
There’s players in this team that have been given so much rope. There’s others that have never been warmed too from minute one. Martial was our player of the season, one of the best young players around and it took no time at all for fans to turn on him completely. Again I’m not taking about the last year but even before that there was so many that couldn’t stand either player despite the fact they were performing better than most. Flair just isn’t appreciated by this fanbase as much as “attitude” “hard work” blah blah. Nani was equally criticised, hell even Ronaldo took years to win over half the fanbase.

jesperjaap

Depay had a good 2014 world cup, and he was top scorer and Dutch player of the season in his final season at PSV before signing for united. He was given the number 7 shirt and was considered a very high profile and promising signing. The excitement was huge. His social media following went up astronomically and his United shirt sales shot up to third worldwide within a week of his signing being announced. So my contention is he was the best young player in Holland at the time with much better numbers than Antony but he flopped despite playing for a manager and fellow countryman who had a lot of faith in him
Understood your point regarding knowing the manager, didnt know much about him bar FM until the world cup, but his world cup seemed really hyped to me when he did very little that was the onl ypoint I was making, cant comment on Antony as not seen him for mor ethan 10mins

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeah, people don't like Martial and Pogba cause they have flair, nailed it there lad.
Oh that’s not the only reason. Some of it is far more overt… the fact is even in their best spells at this club they have only been as good as their last poor performance, while some of our lesser players received nothing like the same criticism. I honestly don’t think most Utd fans are prepared to put up with the inconsistencies of flair players.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Oh that’s not the only reason. Some of it is far more overt… the fact is even in their best spells at this club they have only been as good as their last poor performance, while some of our lesser players received nothing like the same criticism. I honestly don’t think most Utd fans are prepared to put up with the inconsistencies of flair players.
Hmm while I don't entirely agree with you I do see your point.

TheReligion

Abusive
There’s players in this team that have been given so much rope. There’s others that have never been warmed too from minute one. Martial was our player of the season, one of the best young players around and it took no time at all for fans to turn on him completely. Again I’m not taking about the last year but even before that there was so many that couldn’t stand either player despite the fact they were performing better than most. Flair just isn’t appreciated by this fanbase as much as “attitude” “hard work” blah blah. Nani was equally criticised, hell even Ronaldo took years to win over half the fanbase.
Nope. You’re talking shite.

The club is built on youth, flair and attractive football. Look up George Best and Eric Cantona.

United in sin

It’s just normal. Nothing to do with United or being British. Just common sense.
From my experience and discernment it's very much a British thing. It's as British as player scapegoating

Too right

Understood your point regarding knowing the manager, didnt know much about him bar FM until the world cup, but his world cup seemed really hyped to me when he did very little that was the onl ypoint I was making, cant comment on Antony as not seen him for mor ethan 10mins
Well, it depends on how you look at his performance in the tournament. It was his debut international tournament at 20 and he scored in each of his first two appearances coming off the bench, and he set up a goal for Van Persie in his first appearance in a come back win against Australia before scoring the winner himself. He also clinched their advancement to the knockouts with his second goal in the 2-0 win over Chile who weren't pushovers. Memphis was shortlisted for young player of the tournament alongside Pogba and Varane, and Pogba won it

Nope. You’re talking shite.

The club is built on youth, flair and attractive football. Look up George Best and Eric Cantona.
Is it really? Those guys were great and treated like Gods even in the lowest moments of their careers and personal lives. The same can't be said about a slew of others. Pogba dances on social media and its worse than being an alcoholic wife beater who abandoned his son in a hotel room while he played with hookers, or a French player who disrespected a panel discussing him assaulting a fan at a game by showing up late and beginning his appeal by thanking the prostitute he spent the night with. Legendary! Why is Andy Cole not as appreciated/celebrated despite being one of our highest goalscorers in the premier league era? Players like McTominay are more revered by the local fans than Pogba who has contributed more in terms of productivity and entertainment, but in his low moments he's nothing, same as Martial, another player who has entertained more than the hard working keep it simple academy lad McSauce, or even a Daniel James who was rubbish but largely escaped the most scathing of criticisms because he 'worked hard', 'put in a shift, 'was merely a punt', 'left it all on the pitch'.

Basic guys like this invoke more passion among the local following and when they play like shite many would rather see them tried/shoehorned in different positions. Scott at CB for Scotland (currently being suggested to be 'retrained as a CB under Hag), James suggested at RB despite being clueless positionally, but hard work. Same with Alan Smith stinking up the place as a striker but being tried in midfield because he had fight and worked hard.

That's the British way my friend. I don't want to risk being flagged/warned for saying things that apparently don't contribute to the quality of discussion but this is the way I've always seen things when it comes to certain players and the overall tradition in England

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would love to get this one done for Ten Hag, it ticks so many boxes:

Left footed right winger
Young with potential
Played under ETH before

Price is somewhat prohibitive, but I'm sure there's something we can help them with - Diallo on loan? Maybe another player they might be interested in.

TheReligion

Abusive
From my experience and discernment it's very much a British thing. It's as British as player scapegoating

Too right

Well, it depends on how you look at his performance in the tournament. It was his debut international tournament at 20 and he scored in each of his first two appearances coming off the bench, and he set up a goal for Van Persie in his first appearance in a come back win against Australia before scoring the winner himself. He also clinched their advancement to the knockouts with his second goal in the 2-0 win over Chile who weren't pushovers. Memphis was shortlisted for young player of the tournament alongside Pogba and Varane, and Pogba won it

Is it really? Those guys were great and treated like Gods even in the lowest moments of their careers and personal lives. The same can't be said about a slew of others. Pogba dances on social media and its worse than being an alcoholic wife beater who abandoned his son in a hotel room while he played with hookers, or a French player who disrespected a panel discussing him assaulting a fan at a game by showing up late and beginning his appeal by thanking the prostitute he spent the night with. Legendary! Why is Andy Cole not as appreciated/celebrated despite being one of our highest goalscorers in the premier league era? Players like McTominay are more revered by the local fans than Pogba who has contributed more in terms of productivity and entertainment, but in his low moments he's nothing, same as Martial, another player who has entertained more than the hard working keep it simple academy lad McSauce, or even a Daniel James who was rubbish but largely escaped the most scathing of criticisms because he 'worked hard', 'put in a shift, 'was merely a punt', 'left it all on the pitch'.

Basic guys like this invoke more passion among the local following and when they play like shite many would rather see them tried/shoehorned in different positions. Scott at CB for Scotland (currently being suggested to be 'retrained as a CB under Hag), James suggested at RB despite being clueless positionally, but hard work. Same with Alan Smith stinking up the place as a striker but being tried in midfield because he had fight and worked hard.

That's the British way my friend. I don't want to risk being flagged/warned for saying things that apparently don't contribute to the quality of discussion but this is the way I've always seen things when it comes to certain players and the overall tradition in England
Another complete and utter nonsense posts sadly.

AFC NimbleThumb

Sad, but true.

See McTominay being likened to Ruud fecking Gullit after 2 goals against Leeds ffs. There’s definitely an archetype this fanbase give time to, how many managers has Shaw sulked under yet he still has a vocal support for example.

Tarrou

Too right

I do believe there is an element of truth in what you’re saying. Pogba especially I feel has had his unfair share of criticism and we can all theorise on the reasons but it’s for another thread. However, Pogba and Martial are both culpable themselves for putting in more than their fair share of half-assed performances.

No matter what country or team every fan loves a player who works his bollocks off, and no fan-base will keep backing a player if they look like they simply don’t give a feck.

Really well articulated post by the way

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Wow. Hot take. And I actually always "liked" Pogba and Martial FC.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Too right

Is this a "race" thing, as you see it? No disrespect. I'm from South Africa, so not really accustomed to the British way, whichever it may be. As an example, my opinion of most of those above, are informed by their contribution to the club. Cantona/Best etc. are almost forgiven for anything (read most things) because of what they contributed on the pitch. Football is a fickle game (like most/any sport). I don't like McT as a starter, hell - not even in our squad, and i would choose Pogba over him any day. But to put perspective to it...Pogba left us and we signed him for a world record fee, yet his performances have been "inconsistent" at best (so has the teams, in fairness). Surely you can understand why some has issue with Pogba, over someone like McT? (especially considering half our fans' infatuation with "homegrown" etc.). Not that hard to figure out. Look at how nasty things are turning out with Rashford - a minority still stands by him, but in general, he is being slated and it's not down to any major conundrum except for a combination of his shit form and attitude, IMO anyway.

AFC NimbleThumb

Is this a "race" thing, as you see it? No disrespect. I'm from South Africa, so not really accustomed to the British way, whichever it may be. As an example, my opinion of most of those above, are informed by their contribution to the club. Cantona/Best etc. are almost forgiven for anything (read most things) because of what they contributed on the pitch. Football is a fickle game (like most/any sport). I don't like McT as a starter, hell - not even in our squad, and i would choose Pogba over him any day. But to put perspective to it...Pogba left us and we signed him for a world record fee, yet his performances have been "inconsistent" at best (so has the teams, in fairness). Surely you can understand why some has issue with Pogba, over someone like McT? (especially considering half our fans' infatuation with "homegrown" etc.). Not that hard to figure out. Look at how nasty things are turning out with Rashford - a minority still stands by him, but in general, he is being slated and it's not down to any major conundrum except for a combination of his shit form and attitude, IMO anyway.
My issue with the Pogba vs McT narrative is if you actually watch McT play he often hides on the pitch, positioning himself behind players & then often arrives late to tackles because he isn’t in a better position to begin with. He isn’t some give his all, tactical savant. In fact I’d say he’s just as culpable as a Pogba when it comes to half arsing it around the pitch. How many passages of play does he give us where he makes a terrible pass to follow it up with another one in quick succession, for example. People create ideas of players & pigeonhole them, the idea of McT as a player is an all action midfield general when in fact he’s only rarely looked good in games we’ve surrendered possession & a few times against Leeds.

Look at Maguire, he’s had one of the worst personal performing seasons I can remember for someone of his profile yet there’s a contingent on here that will tell you it’s bad form, only a few bad games etc. I’d assert neither Pogba nor Martial [the players mentioned previously] have ever played as bad for as long in their respective positions yet the ‘support’ from the fanbase couldn’t be more dissimilar.

Contrast that with Rashford [who you mention] whose poor form is extrapolated across his United career by some & the vitriol around him is becoming very Pogba-esque, then look at Shaw who has sulked/suffered poor form under 4 different managers yet check how many EtH starting 11s have him in because ‘he will come good’ despite evidence showing us he’ll be more bad than decent.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Guys... Maybe there is, maybe there isn't an agenda. But please, this is the Antony thread

TrustInJanuzaj

Wow. Hot take. And I actually always "liked" Pogba and Martial FC.
Perhaps I’m just fatigued by everything around this club. I’m fed up with taking to some of my Utd supporting friends and family over the years and defending certain players who were over criticised. It just seems a common pattern that the most ardent criticism was always aimed at our most talented flair players. I’d still love Anthony at the club and hope he could be a world beater but I’m just worn down.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Antonio Valencia
Anthony Martial

It's hard to get excited with that kind of name anymore.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
My issue with the Pogba vs McT narrative is if you actually watch McT play he often hides on the pitch, positioning himself behind players & then often arrives late to tackles because he isn’t in a better position to begin with. He isn’t some give his all, tactical savant. In fact I’d say he’s just as culpable as a Pogba when it comes to half arsing it around the pitch. How many passages of play does he give us where he makes a terrible pass to follow it up with another one in quick succession, for example. People create ideas of players & pigeonhole them, the idea of McT as a player is an all action midfield general when in fact he’s only rarely looked good in games we’ve surrendered possession & a few times against Leeds.

Look at Maguire, he’s had one of the worst personal performing seasons I can remember for someone of his profile yet there’s a contingent on here that will tell you it’s bad form, only a few bad games etc. I’d assert neither Pogba nor Martial [the players mentioned previously] have ever played as bad for as long in their respective positions yet the ‘support’ from the fanbase couldn’t be more dissimilar.

Contrast that with Rashford [who you mention] whose poor form is extrapolated across his United career by some & the vitriol around him is becoming very Pogba-esque, then look at Shaw who has sulked/suffered poor form under 4 different managers yet check how many EtH starting 11s have him in because ‘he will come good’ despite evidence showing us he’ll be more bad than decent.
All fair enough bud

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Perhaps I’m just fatigued by everything around this club. I’m fed up with taking to some of my Utd supporting friends and family over the years and defending certain players who were over criticised. It just seems a common pattern that the most ardent criticism was always aimed at our most talented flair players. I’d still love Anthony at the club and hope he could be a world beater but I’m just worn down.
Yeah I think we all are and there’s definitely an old school element where the “effort and those blood and thunder tackles” are more appreciated than flair but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as you mentioned - not at United anyway. Look how dan James was criticised for lacking flair or for just being a kick and run merchant. I think we love flair at United and we have a history of some of the best ever, in the game, who have represented us. I just think pogba and martial are more despised because despite the talent being there, they lack commitment IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.