Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Amazing assist just now.
If we’re learnt one thing from having paid 40m for DVB and 55m for Martinez, is that you guys will rinse us for players who aren’t worth even half the asking price. With regards to Anthony he’s not even the best attacker in the Dutch league and he won’t be doing a quarter of what he’s doing in the premier league.

Lets not blow 80m on this guy.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If we’re learnt one thing from having paid 40m for DVB and 55m for Martinez, is that you guys will rinse us for players who aren’t worth even half the asking price. With regards to Anthony he’s not even the best attacker in the Dutch league and he won’t be doing a quarter of what he’s doing in the premier league.

Lets not blow 80m on this guy.
Alright mate.

Mr PG

The board has to step in and block ETH from buying any physically weak players. Enough is enough. Also we should be buying Marcelo Brozovic as a DM and Mattheus Nunez of Spoting and both would cost same as Dejong and Rabiot.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I remember a few years ago watching a young Antony whilst he was at Sao Paolo and was impressed. There's another kid I watched playing for Santos recently and again yesterday against Coritiba, where he came off the bench and made a impact. And that player is 17 year old Angelo Gabriel who is a left footed forward who looks like he can play across the forward line. Good pace and a very high technical level for his age. I think he's someone that we'll be hearing about in Europe soon. I'd love to see us sign him but not sure if he would get a visa.

Game winning assist below.

Newcastle were/are after this guy,

Real were sniffing around last season, as were Liverpool.

He's already been scouted by majority of European teams last season.

marktan

I just can't take the defending in the Ereedivisise at all. I mentioned how easy a lot of Sancho's goals in the Bundesliga were prior to us signing him, the defending in Antony's goal + assists last season was pretty bad too.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I mean you disagree? You didn’t take us to the cleaners for two players who look far out of their depths in the Prem?
Donny van de Beek, fair enough. The fact you've already written off Martinez tells me I'd rather not go into discussion with you.

Hope you don't want Frenkie either.

Oh shit when did he start playing in the Prem? I must have missed that.
It's not a one-size-fits-all thing where any player from the Eredivisie is automatically shit and can't cut it in other leagues.

I didn't want Martinez because he's a 5'9 defender with no pace. No matter how good he is technically (very), no matter how much aggression he plays with, those are two huge handicaps to overcome.

Ditto Donny. Slow, weak, unimposing, not even particularly talented. There's no chance he makes it here under any manager in any system.

On the flipside Antony is a livewire with rapid acceleration, technically outstanding, works hard out of possession, understands his role and plays with real intensity and fight. I think he'll shine wherever he ends up.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I just can't take the defending in the Ereedivisise at all. I mentioned how easy a lot of Sancho's goals in the Bundesliga were prior to us signing him, the defending in Antony's goal + assists last season was pretty bad too.
Didnt he have relatively more goals/assists in the CL than the Eredivisie last season?

marktan

Didnt he have relatively more goals/assists in the CL than the Eredivisie last season?
Not sure but weren't your opponents Besiktas, Sporting and a pretty bad Dortmund team? For me 6 games against those is not a large enough sample size.

pascell

I mean you disagree? You didn’t take us to the cleaners for two players who look far out of their depths in the Prem?
I think he was disagreeing on you saying Antony isn't the best attacker in the Eredivisie and playing down his transfer value.

He's worth €80m easily, he's exactly what we need on our RW and he'd get fans off their seats.

Judas

Open to offers
He couldn’t be further away from a sure thing and the money he’d cost it would be a big old gamble. We’re desperate but another very expensive flop isn’t what we need. If the squad was in a healthy position I’d say go for it, but that’s far from the case.

Wouldn’t be sad if we did buy him though!

Reyoji-Utd

That what we need. Technical, skillful, agile, and players that being abit arrogant about himself. Confident and never afraid to try again if they fail. But according to most in the caf, you need players with the build of a tank, forceful to bulldoze through players, and best players that already play in EPL because no other some of the best wingers and midfiders that have played or play in EPL for the last 20 yrs are build like a tank and or need to bulk up (most used word when one coming from other league).

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Not sure but weren't your opponents Besiktas, Sporting and a pretty bad Dortmund team? For me 6 games against those is not a large enough sample size.
Then you get this crap, they are CL teams. It takes something to get there.

Well 2 goals, 2 assists in about 250 minutes for Brazil? So a g/a in about every 60 minutes?

South American nations are crap.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He couldn’t be further away from a sure thing and the money he’d cost it would be a big old gamble. We’re desperate but another very expensive flop isn’t what we need. If the squad was in a healthy position I’d say go for it, but that’s far from the case.

Wouldn’t be sad if we did buy him though!
Who is a sure thing? Especially within our reach?

DrBenjamin

Supports
Ajax

Well 2 goals, 2 assists in about 250 minutes for Brazil? So a g/a in about every 60 minutes?

Besiktas played with a b-team they had almost their whole squad out. Sporting Lissabon where very naive with there 3-4-3 formation.And they defended horrible. And Dortmund also where ripped apart by Glasgow Rangers.

marktan

No need to be so sensitive about it, I'm just saying the defending and pressure he faces in the majority of his games is a world away from what he'll face in the PL.

He does look good but there's a big asterisk as to whether he's what we need. From what I've seen of him and at the prices quoted, I don't think so. But I'm sure many disagree and that's fine. I didn't really want Sancho or Martinez either, plenty were clamouring for them.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
No need to be so sensitive about it, I'm just saying the defending and pressure he faces in the majority of his games is a world away from what he'll face in the PL.

He does look good but there's a big asterisk as to whether he's what we need. From what I've seen of him, I don't think so. But I'm sure many disagree and that's fine. I didn't really want Sancho or Martinez either, plenty were clamouring for them.
Is it PL, La Liga or bust?

I know that just signing Antony won't solve all our problems. I suspect that Antony plays with much higher intensity than Rashford/Sancho ever have or will.
We need players that we can move forward with, and the same holds for Martinez in my view.

He may be somewhat of a liability now, but I suspect he will be very important when his team plays like ETH wants his team to play.

Is there enough time for that, let's see.

Many seem to want to revert to being the tallest, fastest team in the league, which we were under Mourinho. Didnt get us anywhere either.

marktan

Is it PL, La Liga or bust?

I know that just signing Antony won't solve all our problems. I suspect that Antony plays with much higher intensity than Rashford/Sancho ever have or will.
We need players that we can move forward with, and the same holds for Martinez in my view.

He may be somewhat of a liability now, but I suspect he will be very important when his team plays like ETH wants his team to play.

Is there enough time for that, let's see.

Many seem to want to revert to being the tallest, fastest team in the league, which we were under Mourinho. Didnt get us anywhere either.
Martinez was a signing we did not need and thus a waste of £50m, nothing will convince me otherwise. A DM would've helped us a lot more. Hell even Richarlison for £50m would've helped us more.

Antony I agree could be useful, but it comes down to valuation for me. £40m I'd consider it a good deal and a risk worth taking, but the prices being quoted - £70m - you pay for the top talents that are refined already and he is not at that stage in his career yet, imo. A similar opinion to the one I had for Sancho.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Martinez was a signing we did not need and thus a waste of £50m, nothing will convince me otherwise. A DM would've helped us a lot more. Hell even Richarlison for £50m would've helped us more.

Antony I agree could be useful, but it comes down to valuation for me. £40m I'd consider it a good deal and a risk worth taking, but the prices being quoted - £70m - you pay for the top talents that are refined already and he is not at that stage in his career yet, imo. A similar opinion to the one I had for Sancho.
DM's may still come.

You are entitled to your opinion, so fair play.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Besiktas played with a b-team they had almost their whole squad out. Sporting Lissabon where very naive with there 3-4-3 formation.And they defended horrible. And Dortmund also where ripped apart by Glasgow Rangers.
Yes, and this is exactly how we can dissect any team that loses.

Pughnichi

The 80M is worth it for 3 reasons….

It covers a troublesome position on the right

it enables Sancho to play on the left where he’s arguably been his most dangerous…

it removes Rashford from the first team.

80M for 3x benefits makes it worth it

RedorDead21

The 80M is worth it for 3 reasons….

It covers a troublesome position on the right

it enables Sancho to play on the left where he’s arguably been his most dangerous…

it removes Rashford from the first team.

80M for 3x benefits makes it worth it
only makes sense if in addition to this 80m we have another 100m for the other positions. Or we have an offer for rashford on the table we can accept to recoup some of the outlay

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If we don’t get De Jong at least we could buy him and have the odd fun moment to enjoy during a game.

Amsterdam90s

Supports
Ajax
As an Ajax fan i think whats happening is this: You have a squad full of players that are not suited to play the system ten hag wants to play. Malacia and Martinez together is a bad choice. Ronaldo and Rashford want to leave and dont even try. Fred and Mctominay is relegation places quality. Mcguire dalot is awful. Ten Hag didnt even like vd beek at ajax.

I think Martinez could be fine in a team that plays technical football, now he cant even give a pass forward because they players in front of him are not that good. Eriksen cant give a pass forward because ronaldo and rashford want to leave and play like that. Ten Hag is being sabotaged because most players understand that either they want to leave or they know they will be replaced.

I think this will be the worst season since the least time you relegated.

davidmichael

Get rid of Ronaldo and bring Antony in, I don’t want to hear any ‘Ronaldo is our only goal threat’ stuff as outside of goals Ronaldo offers nothing and our whole attack is based on ‘put it on a plate for Ronaldo and hope he scored’ instead of any fluidity or diversity.

I’d honestly prefer our options up top for the season to be Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Martial, Fernandes, Garnacho, Diallo and Elanga over anything that included Ronaldo although I’d obviously love Antony AND a centre forward.

Why we don’t attempt loan deals with option to buy like other teams always seem to do I don’t know but surely there has to be a striker out there we could bring in on loan ? Why don’t we look into loans with obligation to buy ? That’d give us a year to raise the money which we could pay over the top for to make up for not paying at the time ?

GledTheRed

We bought their midget centre half that we didn't need instead.

Who the fcuk sanctions our spending when we have gaping holes left right and centre.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As an Ajax fan i think whats happening is this: You have a squad full of players that are not suited to play the system ten hag wants to play. Malacia and Martinez together is a bad choice. Ronaldo and Rashford want to leave and dont even try. Fred and Mctominay is relegation places quality. Mcguire dalot is awful. Ten Hag didnt even like vd beek at ajax.

I think Martinez could be fine in a team that plays technical football, now he cant even give a pass forward because they players in front of him are not that good. Eriksen cant give a pass forward because ronaldo and rashford want to leave and play like that. Ten Hag is being sabotaged because most players understand that either they want to leave or they know they will be replaced.

I think this will be the worst season since the least time you relegated.
Didn't LVG warn him already?

Status
Not open for further replies.