Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Man Utd wage expenses:

2021 - £322m
2020 - £284m
2019 - £332m
2018 - £296m

Total £1234m last 4 years

https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/documents/2021-mu-plc-form-20-f.pdf (including last 5 years)

Liverpool wage expenses:

2021 - £314m
2020 - £325m
2019 - £309m
2018 - £263m

Total £1211m last 4 years

Source: financial statements of Liverpool in 2021 (including 2020 numbers) and 2019 (including 2018 numbers).

Man City wage expenses:

2021 - £354m
2020 - £351m
2019 - £315m
2018 - £259m

Total £1279m last 4 years

Source: financial statements of City in 2021 (including 2020 numbers) and 2019 (including 2018 numbers)

But sure, I'm the one in denial, because you've read otherwise somewhere on the interwebs.

Chelsea's numbers weren't readily available (as far as I could see) so I couldn't be bothered with them. Irrelevant club anyway.
Damn. This is legit? I read on Rawk that players basically play for free for Liverpool

Grande

Indeed. Giggs was known for citing poems of Arthur Rimbaud while waltzing past defenders.
I prefer Fergie’s James Joyce Scottish translations, Mourinho’s Houllebeck versions, Mata’s renditions of Garcia Llorca for young persons, Ole doing Norwegian fairytales (Espen Askeladden), and Eric Le Roi being Le Roi (Baudelaire eat your hert out).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Similar signings to Antony, yes for sure but I don't think at these prices. I still think this price isn't out of the ordinary if you think about Martial or even Rashford what he could be at their same ages.
The point was about the idea that we are special in making that type of signing because we can't wait, no top club just wait on a 18 years old to grow otherwise you will have to explain transfers like Lemar, Felix, Pépé, Dembélé, Havertz or Grealish. And here I limited it to attacking midfielders in a similar age range and very expensive.

The only clubs that routinely wait for talent to develop are clubs that are below elite level and don't have as much money, the rest spend big on youngish talent.

JPRouve

Scout
I prefer Fergie’s James Joyce Scottish translations, Mourinho’s Houllebeck versions, Mata’s renditions of Garcia Llorca for young persons, Ole doing Norwegian fairytales (Espen Askeladden), and Eric Le Roi being Le Roi (Baudelaire eat your hert out).
Well done, you are true man of culture. :lol:

Bossi

Supports
Ajax
Can they really ever get more than 80m for this guy? Even an established PL player, Brazil starter like Raphinha went for 65m.
No, unlikely. But the real value of keeping him would be to win the league and playing in the CL the year after. Right now we still only have one direct CL spot so 2nd place could miss out. And no we won't walk the league even with Antony. Season after most likely we have two direct CL spots which obviously matters a ton.

Also getting out of the group stage means a lot of income. And with Antony our chances of this will just improve a lot and is worth a lot.

Also Sao Paulo get 20% of profit.

So even though his sale value will most likely drop, his overall value might be worth it by keeping him.
So the decision between keeping him for another season or selling him now for 80m is not a no brainer decision.

Also we love to watch him play, and it is fun watching your team play good football.

I am really indifferent. The prices quoted can't really not sell him for that amount but also really love it to see him one more year and then move on.

Of course worst case scenario is injuries but that is a risk worth taking.

Him going on strike seems pointless anyway. He has a long contract left and he would jeopardize his world cup spot by not playing now so that wouldn't really benefit him.

Reactions: Penna

JPRouve

Scout
Expensive signings in general, with our flops vs other clubs' flops. I assume that's what you guys were talking about.
No. The point was about this offer being somehow due to United being unable to grow talent themselves. The idea makes no sense when pretty much all wealthy clubs sign that type of players for that type of fees. Clubs try to develop players like Garnacho and also bring expensive talents from other clubs.

Someone

Something
I don't care if we overpay because, feck the Glazers really, I'm only worried about 2 things:
  1. Expensive signings are under much more pressure to perform and we've seen this time and time again. Nobody cares about a 30m Anthony taking his time, but an 80m Anthony would need to hit the ground running or be labeled a flop, We've seen this already with Grealish and Nunez, hell, knives are already out for Haaland for his number of passes in his 3rd game.
  2. I'm worried that this would drive clubs to inflate prices even more for us.
Having said that, if he's mentally strong and can ignore the price tag, then let's go for it. We need all the help we could get.

Teja

I don't care if we overpay because, feck the Glazers really, I'm only worried about 2 things:
  1. Expensive signings are under much more pressure to perform and we've seen this time and time again. Nobody cares about a 30m Anthony taking his time, but an 80m Anthony would need to hit the ground running or be labeled a flop, We've seen this already with Grealish and Nunez, hell, knives are already out for Haaland for his number of passes in his 3rd game.
  2. I'm worried that this would drive clubs to inflate prices even more for us.
Having said that, if he's mentally strong and can ignore the price tag, then let's go for it. We need all the help we could get.
Yeah at this point I'm cheering for them to be as financially irresponsible as Barca, because either we get successful or they sell as a result.

RedDevil@84

I don't care if we overpay because, feck the Glazers really
Glazers dont pay out of their pockets. Transfer spending, going way up or way down, does not affect the money Glazers pull out of the club, year after year.

HookedOnAPhelan

Just to make it clear, the numbers obviously include all wages:

From Man Utd 2021 financial report:

From Liverpool 2021 financial report:

From Liverpool 2019 financial report:

From Man City 2021 financial report:

From Man City 2019 financial report (2019 and 2018 numbers):

So, yeah, don't believe the tabloids and bullshit sites like Spotrac.

thisISben

Kudos is close to moving to Everton, so that makes it what…7..8 departures this summer?

Easy to see why they’d refuse big money for Antony, their squad is getting torn apart.

worldinmotion66

Where have you been this window we can't buy anyone :lol:

We not the money men, so if they can afford this signing, what the bottomless pit got to do with it.

We moan when they don't spend, and moan when they do spend.

Near sure we are bringing in a right back too. Unless you seen the purse strings and know something we don't
Of course we can. The fact that we haven't is down to the ineptitude at the top of the club.

I don't believe everything I read on the Internet, the media are full of shit and use our name for clicks constantly.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Any regular watchers of the Dutch league wanna give a breakdown of Antony vs Gakpo?

Dazzmondo

Do we want both Antony and Gakpo or is Gakpo the alternative to Antony? Frankly I think we could use another player on each wing.

Dazzmondo

Just a stats comparison between the two since many in here seem to think Gakpo is crap (probably mostly owing to his performance against Monaco)

westerley

ETH is going to win or lose based on this transfer window, let’s assume he spends £200m on the following ; T Mallacia(12m), Cassemeiro(52M), L Martinez(46m), Antony (70m), A Bergovic(F), C Ericsen (F), C Gatpo(30m) Total £210M we need to ignore add ons they will never be
Getting PES Man reds flashbacks with some of these player names

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
Any regular watchers of the Dutch league wanna give a breakdown of Antony vs Gakpo?
I'm a bit biassed as an Ajax fan.
But a lot of people in the Netherland think Gakpo is just overrated.

He's already 23, but never really showed anything on international level.

He was also shit against Monaco and Rangers last week.

He isn't good enough for the top 6 in the PL. Would be a good player for Leicester or West Ham though!

P.S. I also think Antony is a little bit overrated. He's great. But not 80 mil great.
He has the potential to become world class in 1 or 2 seasons. But he isn't there yet.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not a regular watcher. But my impression is...
Antony:
  • Left footed, right winger
  • Plays very wide, modern day all round winger
  • Very agile
  • Bit frail but low center of gravity
  • Very good acceleration
  • Plays with flair
  • Robben type potential with his play style and talent
  • Very good close control, very technical, good cross/shot
  • Hard worker but seems also needs to learn when not to commit
  • Probably would get pushed around a bit until he got used to the Prem
  • Likes to front up defenders and dribble a lot, but can also link well with players around him
Gakpo:
  • Bit like Memphis, plays on the left but is a wide forward
  • Right footed
  • Not too agile, but is big and strong. Bit clunky overall
  • Could see him struggle to adapt to the Prem with his lack of agility
  • Dribbling and close control pretty average
  • Average at best creativity
  • Very powerful shot
  • Good finisher
  • Good movement coming in from the left to get in behind the defenders for a through ball, but won't dribble past them really
  • Works hard as well, but as a forward more than as a winger who can press aggressively
  • Won player of the year, could develop as a striker but doesn't seem to have the hold up play
  • Not elite potential

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Ajax Board Room: Oh no, not €80m Euros we couldn't possibly accept such a low offer...

Hey Murtough could you hold a minute bro?

Dialing noises...

Ajax Board Room: Hey Ziyech are you interested in coming for €10m? Got United on the phone again... really going to pay this time. VdB, Martinéz, think we can fleece them another €100m.

Ziyech: Yeah sure no problem, not getting games at Chelsea anyway.

Ajax Board Room: Hey Murtough are you there? we need €100m we really can't get anyone this late in the window and it's not like we will walk the league anyway. We are serious about getting to the final of the CL this year.

We already did you a great deal on Martinez you did us over on that one.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Gakpo > Antony in a vacuum. But of course Antony plays off the right and Gakpo off the left.
Antony's goal tally is a bit misleading because he often did stay out wide so other players could join the attack more centrally (like Mazraoui).

Going by the 21-22 season Antony shows up sometimes, Gakpo pretty much consistently including in Europe.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of objective opinions. Most Ajax fans on here thought Donny was the best thing since sliced bread and some are still in denial.

HookedOnAPhelan

Stats aren't everything. Depay had great stats in the Dutch league, yet always looked mediocre whenever I watched him. Gakpo is the same, and Antony is the opposite: Not consistent enough yet, but his potential is undeniable.

Speako

We paid £80m for Harry Maguire. Honestly, at that point, all bets were off on United’s transfer fees. With that as the benchmark, how can you possibly justify any low or high fees for players? It’s all out the window.

Dazzmondo

Not a regular watcher. But my impression is...
Antony:
  • Left footed, right winger
  • Plays very wide, modern day all round winger
  • Very agile
  • Bit frail but low center of gravity
  • Very good acceleration
  • Plays with flair
  • Robben type potential with his play style and talent
  • Very good close control, very technical, good cross/shot
  • Hard worker but seems also needs to learn when not to commit
  • Probably would get pushed around a bit until he got used to the Prem
  • Likes to front up defenders and dribble a lot, but can also link well with players around him
Gakpo:
  • Bit like Memphis, plays on the left but is a wide forward
  • Right footed
  • Not too agile, but is big and strong. Bit clunky overall
  • Could see him struggle to adapt to the Prem with his lack of agility
  • Dribbling and close control pretty average
  • Average at best creativity
  • Very powerful shot
  • Good finisher
  • Good movement coming in from the left to get in behind the defenders for a through ball, but won't dribble past them really
  • Works hard as well, but as a forward more than as a winger who can press aggressively
  • Won player of the year, could develop as a striker but doesn't seem to have the hold up play
  • Not elite potential
I don't think that's really fair without also criticising Antony's lack of creativity. Gakpo got 13 assists last season, only behind Tadic's 19 in the Eredivisie and far more than Antony's 4 assists. Personally think Gakpo is a lot better than he gets credit for on here and Antony is definitely overrated by many. It's fair to say you think Antony's better and is maybe the more natural dribbler of the two, but I personally don't see any sort of huge gap between them. I doubt either will come in and have a massive impact at PL level personally (not immediately at least).

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
We paid £80m for Harry Maguire. Honestly, at that point, all bets were off on United’s transfer fees. With that as the benchmark, how can you possibly justify any low or high fees for players? It’s all out the window.
Pogba also big fee but showed up twice a season

Status
Not open for further replies.