Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

Just a stats comparison between the two since many in here seem to think Gakpo is crap (probably mostly owing to his performance against Monaco)
It's worth factoring in that their playing time isn't as close as their "starts" suggest.

Gakpo played 3398 minutes.
Antony played 2535 minutes.

That's 863 minutes more Gakpo played than Antony.

161 minutes per goal for Gakpo
226 minutes per goal for Gakpo

211 minutes per goal for Antony.
253 minutes per assist for Antony.

So, Gakpo did have a better per game average last season, but, there's no way to know for sure that Antony couldn't have hit a run of form in those 863 minutes played less. At the very least their comparable stats would be much closer than is being used currently by the majority of people comparing the two.

Delano

Ultimately Antony's left foot is why he's at a premium. We've got Elanga, Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho, Pellistri who are naturally right footed.

Then Amad and someone who doesn't exist with a left foot. Antony would bring far more balance.

Amadevs

Supports
United
80 going to 100 millions will be absolute maddness for him. What if he flops like Bissaka? 40 million loss ia another and a 80 millions is a different thing. Too much of a gamble and too expensive one. Diaby is cheaper and in total more safe bet.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Stats aren't everything. Depay had great stats in the Dutch league, yet always looked mediocre whenever I watched him. Gakpo is the same, and Antony is the opposite: Not consistent enough yet, but his potential is undeniable.
By always do you mean the last two qualifier games? Gakpo had more than a few outstanding performances in 20-21.

Dazzmondo

It's worth factoring in that their playing time isn't as close as their "starts" suggest.

Gakpo played 3398 minutes.
Antony played 2535 minutes.

That's 863 minutes more Gakpo played than Antony.

161 minutes per goal for Gakpo
226 minutes per goal for Gakpo

211 minutes per goal for Antony.
253 minutes per assist for Antony.

So, Gakpo did have a better per game average last season, but, there's no way to know for sure that Antony couldn't have hit a run of form in those 863 minutes played less. At the very least their comparable stats would be much closer than is being used currently by the majority of people comparing the two.
These numbers are looking a bit strange, probably due to a mix of different mins across various competitions and with national teams. Let's just use their Eredevisie numbers to keep things simple. Numbers taken from whoscored:

Gakpo played 1911 mins in the Eredevisie, got 12 goals, 13 assists. That averages 0.61 goals per 90 mins (or 159.25 mins per goal), and 0.57 assists per 90 mins (or 147 mins per assist)

Antony played 1736 mins in the Eredevisie, got 8 goals, 4 assists. That averages 0.41 goals per 90 mins (or 217 mins per goal), and 0.21 assists per 90 mins (or 434 mins per assist).

That's quite a significant difference.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think that's really fair without also criticising Antony's lack of creativity. Gakpo got 13 assists last season, only behind Tadic's 19 in the Eredivisie and far more than Antony's 4 assists. Personally think Gakpo is a lot better than he gets credit for on here and Antony is definitely overrated by many. It's fair to say you think Antony's better and is maybe the more natural dribbler of the two, but I personally don't see any sort of huge gap between them. I doubt either will come in and have a massive impact at PL level personally (not immediately at least).
I don't disagree with Gakpo being a better player at the moment, but i don't think he is close to Antony talent wise. I'm more talking about the qualities they have, and how those attributes could translate. Antony is a tricky winger capable of whipping in crosses or the Robben type shots. Gakpo you could say could at his best have a Bale type of shot projection, but his other qualities don't translate that well to the Prem IMO. Antony's qualities i think can be elite anywhere and a real star.

Dazzmondo

I don't disagree with Gakpo being a better player at the moment, but i don't think he is close to Antony talent wise. I'm more talking about the qualities they have, and how those attributes could translate. Antony is a tricky winger capable of whipping in crosses or the Robben type shots. Gakpo you could say could at his best have a Bale type of shot projection, but his other qualities don't translate that well to the Prem IMO. Antony's qualities i think can be elite anywhere and a real star.
I mean all that's fine, but you said Gakpo's creativity was average at best which the numbers completely contradict.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think Antony would be a fantastic signing. That Utd right flank is just crying out for a left-footed creative player.

RedDevil@84

We paid £80m for Harry Maguire. Honestly, at that point, all bets were off on United’s transfer fees. With that as the benchmark, how can you possibly justify any low or high fees for players? It’s all out the window.
:lol:
If you make a mistake, you try not to repeat it. You don't take that as a benchmark to make new ones.

RedDevil@84

I think Antony would be a fantastic signing. That Utd right flank is just crying out for a left-footed creative player.
Nonsense. We don't have a right flank. It is known that all Right sided players that we sign is just to play in the left.

Speako

:lol:
If you make a mistake, you try not to repeat it. You don't take that as a benchmark to make new ones.
Far from that simplistic in realty though isn’t it? You’ve set a precedent, and the world knows it. So they use it, and they have, and they will.
Exactly the same as players do with salaries.

bosnian_red

I mean all that's fine, but you said Gakpo's creativity was average at best which the numbers completely contradict.
Assists don't necessarily mean he's creative. Could be a random cross in or a lay off in a 2 vs 1 with the keeper. He didn't strike me as much of a creator basically, just seemed very much a wide forward where his shooting was his best quality, whereas Antony is a proper modern winger, a blend of a creator and a shooter where his trickery is his main quality.

bosnian_red

Matter of time. :drool:

:drool:
Honestly where I stand on this, is financially yes it's a stupid overpay. He should be similarly priced to Raphinha, who was an overpay himself. But the player himself? I think he is the perfect fit for what we need on the wings. The potential he has, the profile of player he is, his confidence on the pitch, ability... Its a very rare mix and I honestly don't see another option for the next 3 years for us like that. So it's one where I don't care about the price. If he does well, nobody will care about that. And I think he's by far the best option.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
As an outsider, I’m kinda surprised by all the money talk. Who cares at this point? Like if you were in a state considered normal, sure. But given where you are, surely the focus should be on strengthening the squad regardless of money involved.

With that being said, this ain’t it :lol: you’d ve better off shopping in Spain or something. Even Ajax fans think he ain’t worth that much or even ready for the top of the PL.

Mr Smith

Is he worth the money we're putting up for him right now? I feel like if we walked away and picked up one of our cheaper options now, we'd be in a position to come back next season with a much reduced offer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We sure are shaping up to have a decent sized Brazilian cohort in our squad, not complaining.

red thru&thru

I get everyone saying he isn't worth the money. But the guy who knows him better than any of us, or Ajax fans do, he does think he's worth it.

BuzzKillington

£80m for this guy and £55m for Martinez will be the sticks that are used to beat EtH out of the club. He’s simply not worth £80m. Good player, but like Maguire at £80m he will not justify the fee.

prateik

How has Antony been in the European games?
Judging purely on Eredivisie stats means little..

BuzzKillington

I get everyone saying he isn't worth the money. But the guy who knows him better than any of us, or Ajax fans do, he does think he's worth it.
Ajax fans on Reddit are incredulous that the club have turned down that offer. He’s a good player, he’s not an £80m pound player. United have lost their marbles.

Delano

Part of me wonders what money tree has been found to afford both him and Casemiro. Very sceptical about this, but would like to see it happen.

red thru&thru

Ajax fans on Reddit are incredulous that the club have turned down that offer. He’s a good player, he’s not an £80m pound player. United have lost their marbles.
I have to agree. However, the fee of a player is only ever brought up when they fail. Does anyone ever feel Real overpaid for CR7? We overpaid for a teenage Rooney? World record fee for a defender in Ferdinand?

If we can be successful and he does well, the fee won't be spoken about. That is the risk we take.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I have to agree. However, the fee of a player is only ever brought up when they fail. Does anyone ever feel Real overpaid for CR7? We overpaid for a teenage Rooney? World record fee for a defender in Ferdinand?

If we can be successful and he does well, the fee won't be spoken about. That is the risk we take.
Antony isn't on that level though.

Cr7 was the best player in the world. Rooney was the best teenager in the world.

BuzzKillington

I see where you’re coming from and if we do go ahead with this I really hope he’s Ronaldo and not Denilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.