Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morree

Ajax will be laughing all the way to the bank if these prices turn out to be true. Ridiculous price and we have only ourselfs to blame for waiting this late in the window. But hey it's not my money so i couldn't careless as long as we get quality players in, and he for sure looks quality.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Clear speculation and leaves himself wriggle room with the last sentence. Don't get me wrong, I think this deal is dead in the water but this is more guesswork based on the Case deal than anything else.
I don't see how you think it's clear speculation though? It comes across to me as though he's been told by somebody at the club. And we know he seems to have good contacts within the club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think you make a good point about January.

It was widely reported we didn’t want to spend and preferred to give the money to the new manager

Essentially we could well be doing two windows worth of business here and with the likes of Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Mata, Cavani off the books for the new financial year.
Yeah it was reported around the time they told Rangnick he couldn't spend as they wanted a good haul for the new manager.

Would make sense why we have a few extra quid laying about, but i'd be pretty shocked if we did somebody get the last 2/3 over the line.

Adam-Utd

I don't see how you think it's clear speculation though? It comes across to me as though he's been told by somebody at the club. And we know he seems to have good contacts within the club.
"almost certainly, highly unlikely and not ruling out" doesn't sound like he's had any clear confirmation by anybody.

pocco

loco
Speculation from Stone and not included in anybody else's brief
Stone is the most reliable when it comes from news from the club. Always has been. He never sticks his neck out on anything of this nature and generally only comments on something that is confirmed. Besides, didn't other journalists pour cold water on it. Albeit to a lesser degree than Stone.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Stone is the most reliable when it comes from news from the club. Always has been. He never sticks his neck out on anything of this nature and generally only comments on something that is confirmed. Besides, didn't other journalists pour cold water on it. Albeit to a lesser degree than Stone.
Almost all of them said the same thing, then Stone added his bit. You might be right, but I read it as him reading into the brief that it's done, rather than that being the actual brief.

pocco

loco
"almost certainly, highly unlikely and not ruling out" doesn't sound like he's had any clear confirmation by anybody.
This is why context is important. "Not ruling out a further attempt in the future but for now, it's not happening"

How do you interpret that? To me, he is clearly saying what the club have said. Unless you think Simon Stone of the BBC is in charge of our transfers?

Pughnichi

Can you imagine a summer where we signed

Malacia
Eriksen
Martinez
Casemiro
Antony
FDJ

obviously we haven’t concluded the last two on the list but my mind would be blown if it works out that way

El-Manos

Can you imagine a summer where we signed

Malacia
Eriksen
Martinez
Casemiro
Antony
FDJ

obviously we haven’t concluded the last two on the list but my mind would be blown if it works out that way
Really need a rb too but that would be incredible.

Adam-Utd

This is why context is important. "Not ruling out a further attempt in the future but for now, it's not happening"

How do you interpret that? To me, he is clearly saying what the club have said. Unless you think Simon Stone of the BBC is in charge of our transfers?
I think he's using his opinion that we've spent big on a midfielder and probably won't spend big twice.

Whether that will be true or no remains to be seen. Reports at the time said we wanted BOTH, not 1 or the other.

If Stone knew for sure, he'd say DEAL OFF, not beat around the bush.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We’ll overpay for him in this window and he will be a success in the second half of the season.

bosskeano

all this talk in the match thread about united playing on the counter so now you add in a guy like antony on the wing with sancho, rashford/martial.....electric dribbling and pace which will cause all sorts of problems for teams trying to defend us and worrying about getting too stretched in the attack having to deal with the counter

not bothered by the price paid for antony as long as it doesn't hinder us from bringing in one more player which we still need...either FDJ or Gapko

Redbandito

I feel that is overpriced.
Why are we offering close to 100million when City gets Haaland for around 60million? Something is just not right with our transfers
Totally different scenarios contractually. Haaland had a buyout clause whereas Ajax still have Antony on a 3 year contract. Not saying anyone should splash 100m Euros on Antony, but the situations are not the same.

pocco

loco
That's not what he said either. He said for now, it's not happening' . That's not committal as feck. It's not happening today is about the same.
So by the future, you think he might mean tomorrow? We can all choose how we interpret it, but I don't think that's what he's saying. I see it as future = January onwards. For now = This window.

3vra

Today is a pretty confusing day, We shall name that day Anthony’s day. I am seeing Anthony Martial, Antony, Anthony Elanga and Anthony Gordon threads and It make me dizzy, so lets sign that fecker and be done with that Please, what better day to do It then on Antony’s day?

Withnail

So by the future, you think he might mean tomorrow? We can all choose how we interpret it, but I don't think that's what he's saying. I see it as future = January onwards. For now = This window.
Exactly. The whole tweet is non-committal and can be interpreted anyway you like so he can never be wrong later. He could have said 'this window' if he wanted. He very carefully chose vague non-committal language.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Looks like he's coming, but why have Ajax been such cnuts over transfers, specifically to us this summer? They've always been a selling club so I don't understand the bitterness in selling players to us (way over value) and to a coach who left them on good terms.
Yes, how dare they demand high fees for their players and not just be bent over a barrel by the mighty Manchester United.

Get a grip.

pocco

loco
Exactly. The whole tweet is non-committal and can be interpreted anyway you like so he can never be wrong later. He could have said 'this window' if he wanted. He very carefully chose vague non-committal language.
If that is how you see it. I think he knows that anything can happen in football and he'd be a fool to absolutely rule anything out. Barca could come crawling with a reduced fee and his wages covered, if they're that desperate. Frenkie could change his mind and be desperate to join. There are many variables, but as it stands it is fair to say it's not looking likely.

If your theory is correct, I'd struggle to understand the motives of Stone with tweeting this. I mean, what does he gain? Piss on the chips of the few people that still hold a candle for FDJ? I don't see why he'd just make all that up for no reason. And that is even harder to imagine when you look at how Stone operates generally. He's not a reactive type of journo that throws his opinion is out and treads the company line when it comes to United. He doesn't tend to speculate on transfers at all. So, what is his motive to sit there and make all that up?

Withnail

If that is how you see it. I think he knows that anything can happen in football and he'd be a fool to absolutely rule anything out. Barca could come crawling with a reduced fee and his wages covered, if they're that desperate. Frenkie could change his mind and be desperate to join. There are many variables, but as it stands it is fair to say it's not looking likely.

If your theory is correct, I'd struggle to understand the motives of Stone with tweeting this. I mean, what does he gain? Piss on the chips of the few people that still hold a candle for FDJ? I don't see why he'd just make all that up for no reason. And that is even harder to imagine when you look at how Stone operates generally. He's not a reactive type of journo that throws his opinion is out and treads the company line when it comes to United. He doesn't tend to speculate on transfers at all. So, what is his motive to sit there and make all that up?
I didn't say he made anything up but he said very little and nothing you could hang your hat on.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Anthony seems quite creative as a RW which is good because it gives us 2 wide creators in him and Sancho.

Then Rashford & the “one who should not be named” - can be the more direct, shot taking inverted forwards depending on how their future pans out which is hardly certain.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yep.

Journos also tweeted in unison that we will not be signing Antony back when Ajax raised their price to 100m. All it takes is for them to tweet two weeks later that we are 'back in for Antony', as they have done, because that's what the facts are. I have no idea what will happen regarding De Jong, but these tweets don't really mean anything in and of itself. They tweet a lot of things. Like Frenkie being close to joining Chelsea two weeks ago, now radio silence on that. They will tweet what they believe to be the case at any given time, but they are reactive to events.

Teja

I was always under the impression that this was illegal?
It's how every deal is done and has been done. 'Tapping up' was always a bullshit complaint. As if the player has no agency in his own move.
This is why we get intermediaries involved. Nothing preventing someone who knows what the player wants talking to someone who knows what the club wants.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Yes, how dare they demand high fees for their players and not just be bent over a barrel by the mighty Manchester United.

Get a grip.
Exactly. We got ambitions as well mate. We want to do well in the CL. Our team already got rinsed apart before the summer even began. With Antony leaving we wont have a RW anymore. He’s the guy people go to the stadium for on a 3 year contract. You bet we want money for him now at the end of the transferwindow.

It will happen though and I wish him all the best.

Trex

Exactly. We got ambitions as well mate. We want to do well in the CL. Our team already got rinsed apart before the summer even began. With Antony leaving we wont have a RW anymore. He’s the guy people go to the stadium for on a 3 year contract. You bet we want money for him now at the end of the transferwindow.

You got Bergwijn and you'll Ziyech, you'll be fine. We'll root for you all the way. As a matter of fact Ajax are now my second team.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
You got Bergwijn and you'll Ziyech, you'll be fine. We'll root for you all the way. As a matter of fact Ajax are now my second team.
Thanks mate. UTD is my second club and I was absolutely buzzing last night, the first 25 minutes showed what ETH is all about, I think the players were quite gassed after that. If we do get Ziyech it will lessen the pain.

GreatDane

I get it and I'm sure you will be paid handsomely for him.
I for one is very excited about the prospect of signing him.
Looks like you might get Ziyech back, hope he hits the level he were for you before he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.