Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I watched the Liverpool game thinking Sancho’s been shoved out on the right wing to basically accommodate Rashford and Elanga. All the stats suggest that Sancho is much more effective on the left and YouTube can tell you instantly that Antony is absolutely a right winger.

Sancho on the left and Antony on the right looks exciting on paper :drool:
Yeah it does just need to find that number 9 next summer who gives us different option down the middle from Marcus & Tony

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
IHe's not that fast and he doesn't score that many goals. We could've signed Richarlison, Raphinha or Diaz for less money so pressures on this cat from the get go with a price tag higher than Cristiano Ronaldo when he left us as a Balon Dor winner after winning the Champions League.

Madness.
Gonna cost more than what we paid for Cantona, Keane, Cole, Yorke and Stam combined.

Madness

Nights

I'm so sold on this signing, think he is going to be world class. Has aspects of his game he needs to improve, but he just has that 'it' factor that the top players have. That being said, the only thing I'd be worried about with his signing is the lack of goals. He's more of a creator and a ball carrier at the moment than a pure scorer. Sancho on the other side would be the same. It would put a lot of pressure on our midfield and forward to score goals by not having a scorer first out wide. Will be interesting to see how ETH manages that.
I agree; I think he’ll work well with other fast and mobile attackers (Martial/Rashford/Sancho) and it also helps that he’ll have two fellow Brazilians from the NT playing next to him too.

croadyman

Malacia
Eriksen
Martinez
Casemiro
Anthony

Won't be a bad first window

And then in Jan/next summer

New GK
New RB
New CF
FDJ
and depending on Varane's fitness a new CB

That'll be the rebuild more or less done
Wouldn't rule out getting a RB this window but only if AWB goes back to Palace on loan

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Makes Rashford on the left and/or Ronaldo up front even more critical. Who’s he looking to create for if not those two?
Think it'll vary between the 3 wingers we have and depend on opponent. Team creation rather than focus on a single player

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Oh I agree, Robben is more like the ultimate peak for him but even Robben exploded in a way nobody expected.
I don't really agree. Robben really was a huge talent back in the day. I can say that I didn't expect him to explode like that from the right wing, but I did expect him to be an absolute top class left winger. He really came across as the natural replacement of Giggs when he was young (and still playing from the left side). You could say he was one of the first to start the transition to the inverted wingers.

Antony has a very long way to go to get to Robben levels. I don't think he'll ever get to that level in terms of effectiveness. However with his flair he could really become one of the most exciting wingers of his generation. He's got it in him, but obviously needs to develop in terms of consistency and effectiveness.

croadyman

Antony and a back up GK done this week. Still think we’ll get a RB or Frenkie or both on deadline day too
Agree with first three but no FDJ, really hope Erik can persuade him to join next summer if we can get back into Champions League

marktan

This guy against low blocks is going to be a sight to behold.

And by that, I mean not great. As others have said we're overpaying by about £40m, but hey it's not my money.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
No matter how good he plays for Ajax this season (if he stays) he wont be worth more then what we are offering now (if the 100m eurors fee is correct). Ajax best season, with CL semifinals, had bigger stars in the team, like De Jong and De Ligt and the media were reporting 150m euros for each player but Ajax didnt even get 100m for them, it was like 88m for De Jong and 90m for De Ligt. And to be honest they were both more important for the Ajax team and had like every team in Europe bidding for them.

I understand that we are not in a position to pick and choose players right now, but if they wont let him go for 100m euros then we should just let it be and try again next year.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm really excited to see this guy potentially get Old Trafford up off their seats, he looks like what we've been missing in a winger since Nani. Sancho on the left in his natural position.

croadyman

Crazy money and unless Casemiro can single handedly change this midfield I'm not sure what he's going to be able to do in those typical games United struggle with. At least Erik gets one of his main guys.
Like I said earlier will just have to adapt our style this season without a progressive CM

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Diaz is a right footed left winger, Richarlison just isn't great and Raphinha wanted Barça himself, please stop.

marktan

I'm really excited to see this guy potentially get Old Trafford up off their seats, he looks like what we've been missing in a winger since Nani. Sancho on the left in his natural position.
He's nowhere near as explosive as Nani was. If anything he reminds me of a left footed Sancho.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

And by that, I mean not great. As others have said we're overpaying by about £40m, but hey it's not my money.
you mean the guy that’s great in tight spaces and taking on a man? hmm think you might need to recheck that. he’s not a kick and run merchant like rashford.

marktan

you mean the guy that’s great in tight spaces and taking on a man? hmm think you might need to recheck that. he’s not a kick and run merchant like rashford.
He's not, he gets away with it sometimes in the dutch league against crap defenders, but he doesn't have quick acceleration like Mane or O. Dembele, against faster defenders he'll be shut out like Sancho has. Hell even Malacia shut him out when they came up against each other.

Shark

@NotShark
He's nowhere near as explosive as Nani was. If anything he reminds me of a left footed Sancho.
Maybe not but he's a winger that seems to take more risks than Sancho. Especially with shooting from distance. Thus some comparisons with Robben also.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He's not, he gets away with it sometimes in the dutch league against crap defenders, but he doesn't have quick acceleration like Mane or O. Dembele, against faster defenders he'll be shut out like Sancho has. Hell even Malacia shut him out when they came up against each other.
As Malacia just did to Salah, it seems like you don't really have an idea what you're talking about.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Message to the mods:

I hope we can ban all discussions about how expensive or how much we overpaid for him once he comes to United.
I think we have discussed it as much as humanly possible already. It's beyond boring at this point and he hasn't even signed on the dotted line yet.

OverratedOpinion

Jesus the miserable feckers in here.

We are signing an exciting young Brazilian winger in his early twenties. Is it your money? Can you control how our cash is spent? No and it has been a miserable stretch as a Utd fan so just look forward to an exciting player that will give us some moments of joy when watching.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

We are signing an exciting youn Brazilian winger in his early twenties. Is it your money? Can you control how our cash is spent? No and it has been a miserable stretch as a Utd fan so just look forward to an exciting player that will give us some moments of joy when watching.
This is literally the most exciting signing we could possibly make as well. I hate people.

croadyman

Fair play to the lad though, his unrelenting desire to join us at all cost is endearing to me honestly :lol:

He's very much forced the issue in a window where Ajax had no intention of letting him go.

Feels good going after players who absolutely want to join for a change.

He's answered his managers call like he said in the farewell video they made
Yeah I knew then he was a Ten Hag foot soldier willing to do what it takes to join him, unlike a certain other player who played for Ajax.

Shark

@NotShark

We are signing an exciting youn Brazilian winger in his early twenties. Is it your money? Can you control how our cash is spent? No and it has been a miserable stretch as a Utd fan so just look forward to an exciting player that will give us some moments of joy when watching.
Miserable indeed. They'd probably be the first to be calling for ETH's head too if our business stopped after signing Martinez, Eriksen and Malacia. We've since gone on to sign fecking Casamiro and now a exciting Brazilian RW. Understand why opposition cringe at sections of our fan base.

AttackAttackAttack

Interesting you say that because I’ve heard he is a great at dribbling in tight spaces and has good link up play….

OverratedOpinion

Miserable indeed. They'd probably be the first to be calling for ETH's head too if our business stopped after signing Martinez, Eriksen and Malacia. We've since gone on to sign fecking Casamiro and now a exciting Brazilian RW. Understand why opposition cringe at sections of our fan base.
They also act like they are football scouts. If we are all totally honest we never have any idea how someone is going to progress. I know we like to sound intelligent (I certainly do) but we are all constantly caught off guard by players doing worse or better than we expected.

He looks like a literal fountain of untapped potential ready to take the next step to being world class to me. I might be wrong though. Either way I am shocked how anyone could see this as anything other than exciting.

tomaldinho1

The irony of us complaining about spending levels is it’s probably as close to our money as you can get. Glazers only take out so match going fans, people who pay for tv etc. are directly helping fund the club more than its owners. Let’s fecking spend it! I don’t care if we overpay for a player as long as they’re good, nobody cares about net spend not even FFP anymore.

mav_9me

Interesting change in approach for us (if we ever had an approach) 3 Brazilians and an Argentinian in the starting 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.