Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
At Ajax, Antony is faced with a medium-to-low block and almost always slows to a stand-still after racing onto the ball. Sending him down the line often results in him turning back and Ajax resetting their attack. To combat this, he has developed a sharp drop of the shoulder which, combined with his explosiveness and close control, makes him difficult to stop from going inside.

He is the right profile especially with Greenwood suspended/gone.

Where would Ajax fans rate him amongst all the 21 year old attackers they have had since Suarez?
The best. He is the best attacker in the Dutch league since Suarez.

bosskeano

don't give a fuk what he costs....i want to win the league or challenge for it, win a domestic trophy, win the europa and get back into the top 4

we've got to get this kid and bring him to Manchester

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I hope this gets sorted ASAP, we need left footed attacker whose best position is on right wing. I don't remember the last one we had, we had Greenwood but he was more like a wide forward than a winger (going full FM here)

IMO there is no reason to feel sorry for anyone, we failed to reach agreement long back for various reasons, we desperately need the player so we are paying the premium price. Close to 100 million euros is a huge fee, so Ajax are getting compensated well.

Anyways can't wait to watch tricky winger playing for ManUtd, him and Sancho on the wings should create a lot.

Thom Merrilin

I think we're overpaying for what we're likely to get but I'm still excited for this one.

Transfer fees have gone mad and it's difficult to judge a player's future success based on how much they were bought for. I'm not quite in the "it's not your money" camp but I'm getting closer.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well he is going to be hugely overpriced. But if he really does come good, price doesn't really matter. One thing for sure, he is clearly talented. Whether he could do it week in week out in the PL is another matter.

RW: Antony, Sancho, Elanga
LW: Sancho, Rashford, Garnacho
CF: Ronaldo/new CF, Martial, Rashford

Positive:
- We finally have a decent right winger, and our winger position would be set for next decade
- One of most skilful dribbler around, clearly talented
- He was one of ETH top targets this summer, so manager will know how to use him for sure, will suit our new possession football system

Negatives:
- massively overpriced. Shouldn't cost more than Raphinha (Leeds), Diaz (Porto), who all went under 50m
- Rather underwhelming numbers in very poor league, could even struggle more in PL
- other clubs would look at this transfer and try to take us to cleaners in negotiating fees in future transfer

Last edited:

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
This one’s pretty much in the bag. No way we back out now. I’m camping in the Frenkie thread for the last 7 days. :wenger:

Kramer

So Antony on the Right and Sancho on the left??
We’re going for an all Ant(h)ony front 3.

Antony to Anthony reverses back to Anthony plays a 1-2 with Antony who feeds it in to Anthony and Anthony scoressssss!!!

Confuse the shit out of the opposition.

ETHBALL!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
This is a done deal 100%, question is are United going to get Frenkie?

Next summer all United would need then is a new GK and a RB, insane.

AttackAttackAttack

Is it really interesting? He is just being negative so that he can tell us "told you so" in case he doesn't succeed.

If Antony has a poor start, look out for his posts.

Pace is probably his biggest asset, and here he is saying he's not that fast. It's tiring and so easy to see through.
Not interesting at all. Antony is going to crush teams that sit back and let him work his magic.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Not interesting at all. Antony is going to crush teams that sit back and let him work his magic.
I think Antony will also enjoy a RB that overlaps looking at his match performances, he can cut in and cross too but having a top RB next to him will destroy teams.

Honestly Sancho and Antony will be the two best wingers we've had at the club since Nani and Ronaldo.

Red_Orchestra

I honestly don't care how much he is bought for, there aren't that many young left footed right wingers out there to begin with. Just take another loan out and get it done.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well he is going to be hugely overpriced. But if he really does come good, price doesn't really matter. One thing for sure, he is clearly talented. Whether he could do it week in week out in the PL is another matter.

RW: Antony, Sancho, Elanga
LW: Sancho, Rashford, Garnacho
CF: Ronaldo/new CF, Martial, Rashford

Positive:
- We finally have a decent right winger, and our winger position would be set for next decade
- One of most skilful dribbler around, clearly talented
- He was one of ETH top targets this summer, so manager will know how to use him for sure, will suit our new possession football system

Negatives:
- massively overpriced. Shouldn't cost more than Raphinha (Leeds), Diaz (Porto), who all went under 50m
- Rather underwhelming numbers in very poor league, could even struggle more in PL
- other clubs would look at this transfer and try to take us to cleaners in negotiating fees in future transfer
Raphinha went for 65. Luis Diaz was more of an "unknown quality"/lower reputation and much older, it's a different situation.

Newtonius

Ajax did not want to sell him, is what I remember. Since then, Antony has gotten vocal about wanting to move.
After Martinez yeah but wasn't it also widely reported they demanded what they thought was an unrealistic feck off price at 80 million?

Dr. StrangeHate

Antony for €100m would destroy the transfer market worse than Neymar for €222m "back then".
100 is high for Antony no doubt. But Barcelona paid 140 mil each for both Dembele and Coutinho. Chelsea paid 60 mill for a LB who might not even be best at their own club. Chelsea paid 70 mil for Kepa. Manchester United paid 80 mil for Maguire. Real paid 80 million for Touchameini and 60 for Jovic. All these deals are way over the top. Market has been F**** for a long time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Raphinha went for 65. Luis Diaz was more of an "unknown quality"/lower reputation and much older, it's a different situation.
I mean in pounds. Raphinha went for 50m (+5m adds on), Diaz went for 37.5m (+12.5m adds on).

Diaz was having great half season in Porto (14 goals in 18 league games, 7.9 avg rating) before Liverpool signed him up, so it’s not exactly “unknown quality” as compared to Antony, who was not as good in even worse league. Also he was at age 23 turning 24 the season when Liverpool sign him, Antony is 22 and will turn 23 this season. Not much of a difference in age.

Diaz at age 23-24 before Liverpool sign him:
- 14 goals in 4 assists in 18 league games (6th rank league)
- 7.9 avg rating
- 2.6 dribble, 2.2 key pass

Antony at age 22-23 before we are about to sign him:
- 8 goals 4 assists in 23 league games (7th rank league)
- 7.46 avg rating
- 1.8 dribble, 1.6 key pass

Last edited:

NLunited

I mean in pounds. Raphinha went for 50m (+5m adds on), Diaz went for 37.5m (+12.5m adds on).

Diaz was having great half season in Porto (14 goals in 18 league games, 7.9 avg rating) before Liverpool signed him up, so it’s not exactly “unknown quality” as compared to Antony, who was not as good in even worse league.
You know Dutch league is way above Portugal in uefa rankings?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really hope this happens. It's a lot of money but we've needed a left footed RW who has pace and skill for ages. Moreover ETH rates him very highly and has worked closely with him. That's worth the extra money well end up paying.

Newtonius

Damn are people really worried about his quality? Yeah his end product isn't there yet but he will be huge for the team he is basically Bruno in terms of work rate but is actually good with the ball at his feet.

tbtt

WUM
He's a young, LEFT-footed RW, which is already a perfect recipe for crazy transfer fee. Extremely expensive, but are there any alternatives? A quality left-footed winger is always a rare breed. Maybe it's just a supply-demand thing, not United's incompetence.

ETH has sorted out the left side of defense with a left-footed CB, and now he's about to get left-footed RW. The squad looks much more balanced now.

Antony knows ETH's system, and has experiences of playing with Martinez, Fred, and Casemiro. He will settle well, and will be a joy to watch.

Waynne

We have a genuine threat from that right flank in this guy.
Very tricky, skillful player who will always look to make inroads and beat his man.
Ronaldo will be lapping up those crosses into the box.
Very excited for this one

mav_9me

It can matter to be fair though, look at the likes of Maguire and Pogba. Essentially it might be fine for the rich club to overpay so long as the player is a success. They'll be judged by the fee, that's for sure, fair or not.
Contradictory. Success is judged by their performances. If they are good, no one will care about the fee. If they are even average, fee will be used to criticize.

tbtt

WUM

Diaz was having great half season in Porto (14 goals in 18 league games, 7.9 avg rating) before Liverpool signed him up, so it’s not exactly “unknown quality” as compared to Antony, who was not as good in even worse league. Also he was at age 23 turning 24 the season when Liverpool sign him, Antony is 22 and will turn 23 this season. Not much of a difference in age.

- 7.9 avg rating

- 7.46 avg rating
Diaz is right-footed, and it seems there is a huge premium on left-footed wingers in the current market.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

- 7.9 avg rating

- 7.46 avg rating
Diaz wasn't 23-24 when he scored 14 goals. He was 24 when the season started and 25 when Liverpool signed him.

Antony wasn't 22-23, he was 21 when the season started and turned 22 in Feb. He played 4 league games after he turned 22 and then was injured.

When Diaz was 22 or Antony's age, he just signed for Porto. At 21 he scored 2 goals in Colombian league.

At 22, Diaz scored 20 goals in 108 games playing in Colombian first and second division. At same age Antony scored 31 goals in Brazil and Dutch league which are miles better leagues than the one Diaz played in.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Really hope this one works out. Especially considering how much he’s gonna cost. We could of got another winger and a rb for the price we’re paying for him, but if it’s what ten Hag wants them i’m all for it. He’s the first manager we’ve had since fergie that I truly believe in and trust.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Really hope this one works out. Especially considering how much he’s gonna cost. We could of got another winger and a rb for the price we’re paying for him, but if it’s what ten Hag wants them i’m all for it. He’s the first manager we’ve had since fergie that I truly believe in and trust.
Rather pay for the right player at 22 years old than get cheaper options.

Look how Amad and Pellistri are paying off because United couldnt be arsed paying the fee for Sancho. Both young obviously and maybe will make it, but most likely not since they'll be destined to go on Loan for a few more years.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Rather pay for the right player at 22 years old than get cheaper options.

Look how Amad and Pellistri are paying off because United couldnt be arsed paying the fee for Sancho. Both young obviously and maybe will make it, but most likely not since they'll be destined to go on Loan for a few more years.
I get that… but a cheaper player could of been the right player and allowed us to strengthen another key area of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.