Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I get that… but a cheaper player could of been the right player and allowed us to strengthen another key area of the team.
Which left footed, right winger that fits his profile can you think of?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Diaz wasn't 23-24 when he scored 14 goals. He was 24 when the season started and 25 when Liverpool signed him.

Antony wasn't 22-23, he was 21 when the season started and turned 22 in Feb. He played 4 league games after he turned 22 and then was injured.

When Diaz was 22 or Antony's age, he just signed for Porto. At 21 he scored 2 goals in Colombian league.

At 22, Diaz scored 20 goals in 108 games playing in Colombian first and second division. At same age Antony scored 31 goals in Brazil and Dutch league which are miles better leagues than the one Diaz played in.
Well yeh roughly that. Basically they are 2 year apart when their transfer happened. Diaz at age 24-25 the season he joined Liverpool for 37.5m (+12.5m add on), whereas Antony is going to join us at age 22-23 this season, for reported 80m.

But point remains, Antony shouldn’t go beyond 50m price range in comparison to Diaz and Raphinha.

MinGin

I mean in pounds. Raphinha went for 50m (+5m adds on), Diaz went for 37.5m (+12.5m adds on).

Diaz was having great half season in Porto (14 goals in 18 league games, 7.9 avg rating) before Liverpool signed him up, so it’s not exactly “unknown quality” as compared to Antony, who was not as good in even worse league. Also he was at age 23 turning 24 the season when Liverpool sign him, Antony is 22 and will turn 23 this season. Not much of a difference in age.

Diaz at age 23-24 before Liverpool sign him:
- 14 goals in 4 assists in 18 league games (6th rank league)
- 7.9 avg rating
- 2.6 dribble, 2.2 key pass

Antony at age 22-23 before we are about to sign him:
- 8 goals 4 assists in 23 league games (7th rank league)
- 7.46 avg rating
- 1.8 dribble, 1.6 key pass
Because Porto needed that money immediately in that period, so they need to sell cheaper than his release clause (67m Pound).
While Ajax haven't any financial problem and do not want to loss Anthony now. So, the price will extremely higher than usually.
But, We need that type of player (young, talent) now when we lose Mason as the right side attacker.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-liverpool-saved-18m-luis-22931695

Tarrou

I'm starting to think the price isn't that ridiculous

the market just went crazy these last few weeks and Chelsea are throwing money around like a drunken horny sexpat in Pattaya

r0663664

Worships Man City
Does the price matters if Antony comes in and play well? If he continue to improve, we won't look at this price when he is 28. I think it is the right profile player to buy. Young, hungry and good, might be our Salah in 2 years time.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I mean in pounds. Raphinha went for 50m (+5m adds on), Diaz went for 37.5m (+12.5m adds on).

Diaz was having great half season in Porto (14 goals in 18 league games, 7.9 avg rating) before Liverpool signed him up, so it’s not exactly “unknown quality” as compared to Antony, who was not as good in even worse league. Also he was at age 23 turning 24 the season when Liverpool sign him, Antony is 22 and will turn 23 this season. Not much of a difference in age.

Diaz at age 23-24 before Liverpool sign him:
- 14 goals in 4 assists in 18 league games (6th rank league)
- 7.9 avg rating
- 2.6 dribble, 2.2 key pass

Antony at age 22-23 before we are about to sign him:
- 8 goals 4 assists in 23 league games (7th rank league)
- 7.46 avg rating
- 1.8 dribble, 1.6 key pass
Are you purposefully leaving out Champions League stats?

red thru&thru

We could've signed Richarlison, Raphinha or Diaz for less money so pressures on this cat from the get go with a price tag higher than Cristiano Ronaldo when he left us as a Balon Dor winner after winning the Champions League.

Madness.
Raphinha probably didn't want to come. He rejected Arsenal and Chelsea.

Richarlison is not the same type of player. Player profile is key, not just a player in a different position.

Diaz? Again, player in a different position. We're stacked with players on the left.

Unfortunately, we're paying a premium for a player who is pretty short supply of.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Because Porto needed that money immediately in that period, so they need to sell cheaper than his release clause (67m Pound).
While Ajax haven't any financial problem and do not want to loss Anthony now. So, the price will extremely higher than usually.
But, We need that type of player (young, talent) now when we lose Mason as the right side attacker.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-liverpool-saved-18m-luis-22931695
There is always reasons of overpaying for certain players isn’t it. Maguire, AWB and now Antony. It’s up to the buyer clubs to draw the line of course.

Point being, the more we pay for unproven talent, the bigger risk and drawback we may have to face in future.

Gordon S

Would love to see that Brazilian flair in our team!
Think he and Sancho could have fun together..

Waynne

I‘m getting sick of the incessant moaning of certain pathetic individuals.

-Darwin Nunez goes to Pool for 100 mill and you moan: Why didn‘t we get him?
-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
-Antony wants to come here and you moan:
we don‘t want him.

-Frenkie de Jong is a priority target and you moan: he is not a true dm.
-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Should I go on? You Miserable fecking cnuts!?
:lol::lol:

Godfather

-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
we don‘t want him.

-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Word. The moaning about the price is so fecking tiresome. It's not your money anyway. Let's get the guy he oozes class

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Well yeh roughly that. Basically they are 2 year apart when their transfer happened. Diaz at age 24-25 the season he joined Liverpool for 37.5m (+12.5m add on), whereas Antony is going to join us at age 22-23 this season, for reported 80m.

But point remains, Antony shouldn’t go beyond 50m price range in comparison to Diaz and Raphinha.
Transfer fee won't be decided like that. If that's the case, we can also say Antony should cost roughly around 80 million as Gordon's 60 million bid isn't accepted yet. Every player fee depends on lot of factors, Ajax have lost lot of players and that's why they don't want to sell him. Which means any club that wants to sign him this season have to pay premium fee, which going by reports we are ok with.

Also the age gap between Diaz and Antony is 3 years, if we are talking about when the transfer happened then it's 2.5 years. You have reduced 1 year for Diaz and added 1 year for Antony for no reason. Likewise Antony wasn't 22-23, he was 21 when the season started and turned 22 in Feb and then got injured.

So you are looking at what Antony did at 21 compared to what Diaz did at 24.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are you purposefully leaving out Champions League stats?
It’s difficult to avg down the per game stats from whoscored from 2 different competitions. But there’s not much of a comparison in 6-7 games there even you counted CL stats.

Diaz
- 2 goals in 6 games
- 3.2 dribble
- 1.7 key pass

- 6.95 avg rating

Antony
- 2 goals 4 assist in 7 games
- 1.4 dribble
- 1.4 key pass
- 7.60 avg rating

Diaz being better in scoring rate per game, better dribbling n better in making key pass. Antony being better in assist numbers, and higher avg rating.

Tarrou

we don‘t want him.

fecking aye dude, fecking aye

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Transfer fee won't be decided like that. If that's the case, we can also say Antony should cost roughly around 80 million as Gordon's 60 million bid isn't accepted yet. Every player fee depends on lot of factors, Ajax have lost lot of players and that's why they don't want to sell him. Which means any club that wants to sign him this season have to pay premium fee, which going by reports we are ok with.

Also the age gap between Diaz and Antony is 3 years, if we are talking about when the transfer happened then it's 2.5 years. You have reduced 1 year for Diaz and added 1 year for Antony for no reason. Likewise Antony wasn't 22-23, he was 21 when the season started and turned 22 in Feb and then got injured.

So you are looking at what Antony did at 21 compared to what Diaz did at 24.
Well I don’t really think 2.5 years in age matter much in deciding transfer fee, when the age we are comparing is at 22.5 and 25.

For example, world record transfer fee happened when Neymar was 25. While world record transfer fee for defender happened when Maguire was 26. So indeed Diaz at 25 should be good age to obtain highest transfer fee possible.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Which left footed, right winger that fits his profile can you think of?
I didn’t say we shouldn’t sign him, I said it’s a lot of money when there’s other areas of the team that needs improving

Real Name

we don‘t want him.

Haha, exactly.

Nunez part is the strangest. I read a lot of cries why didnt we go for him. Yet now we're going for a exciting RW, position which we need then there's again a lot of cries.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned

we don‘t want him.

Post of the year.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
It’s difficult to avg down the per game stats from whoscored from 2 different competitions. But there’s not much of a comparison in 6-7 games there even you counted CL stats.

Diaz
- 2 goals in 6 games
- 3.2 dribble
- 1.7 key pass

- 6.95 avg rating

Antony
- 1.4 dribble
- 1.4 key pass
- 7.60 avg rating

Diaz being better in scoring rate per game, better dribbling n better in making key pass. Antony being better in assist numbers, and higher avg rating.
What point are you trying to make now. If it’s the price being inflated then ‘we know’. Or are you saying we should have signed Diaz instead? Which is a bit daft, he plays on the left and plays for Liverpool…

kaku06

Vulgarian
Antony for €100m would destroy the transfer market worse than Neymar for €222m "back then".
You are right just like buying Lucas Hernandez for €80m destroyed the market for defenders. People living in glass houses and all that mate.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Talent to be world class but obviously not there yet. Probably similar current level to Raphinha (not a clear starter between the 2 for Brazil). Potential max ceiling could be something like Arjen Robben or Di Maria the most accurate 2 I've seen. Has buckets of ability, but of course never an easy transition. Is a inverted winger, not an inside forward.
I see, those are not bad players if those comparisons turn out to be true -thanks.

GreatDane

I'm just going to assume it's a done deal and be excited to see him play for us.
It's been ages since we've had a dribling maestro at the wings, and I'm fecking looking forward to it!
Prices have gone up on everything, people need to get over it.

red thru&thru

Diaz and Antony play in different positions. We at first hand have experienced that players playing on the opposite flank does not constitute to the same output.

Antony is quite rare of a high quality right sided player, who is playing at the highets level.

DonnyCostsAlotOfMoney

Supports
Ajax
It's funny how some of you want him te go on strike at Ajax to force a move so Man Utd will have a RW for the next decade...

Bristol_Red_87

Unfortunately, we're paying a premium for a player who is pretty short supply of.
As Manchester United, in this already inflated transfer window, dealing with a selling club who don't have a neccessity to sell at this late stage, I'd suggest £80M is about right?

The original poster's (couldn't find it unfortunately) comments regarding Ronaldo's sale in 2009 failed to factor in inflation.

In a normal line of business (i.e. not elite football), Ronaldo at that point in his career would go for c.£120M today. More realistically it would be £140-150M.

Similar comparisons can be brought for other players this potential transfer is being compared to.

Personally, the only comparative stats that would help to provide a half decent insight into Antony's potential would vs a similar player, at a similar age who has followed a similar career path to his in the past 5 year's (Brazil > Holland > EPL) and who has played CL football.

So many variables when comparing player for player across different leagues.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What point are you trying to make now. If it’s the price being inflated then ‘we know’. Or are you saying we should have signed Diaz instead? Which is a bit daft, he plays on the left and plays for Liverpool…
That the fee we are paying is massively overpriced? That’s all I am saying, it just seem some of you disagree, hence the arguments.

roonster09

Scout
Well I don’t really think 2.5 years in age matter much in deciding transfer fee, when the age we are comparing is at 22.5 and 25.

For example, world record transfer fee happened when Neymar was 25. While world record transfer fee for defender happened when Maguire was 26. So indeed Diaz at 25 should be good age to obtain highest transfer fee possible.
I didn't say age decides the transfer fee, even player quality alone won't decide the fee. Also taking one random example to come up with 25 is the good age for max transfer fee is also just wrong. Mbappe and Dembele fetched huge fee when they were very young, Hazard was sold for insane fee when he was 30.

Transfer fee doesn't work on any algorithm like transfermarkt wants everyone to believe. It depends on lot of factors, biggest of them all is the selling club's situation. For this, Ajax lost many players and they don't want to lose anymore player. If they do, it's for very high fee.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
In the current market where Jack Grealish is worth 100m, and Neymar 222m, a 24 years old Ronaldo who just won ballon d’Or, would go for at least 300m. You can bet on that.

Some of you are still living in a world where 30m for Berbatov was a record. In today reality, that would have costed us 90 at least.

Everything has changed, get used to it.

Grande

Diaz
- 2 goals in 6 games
- 3.2 dribble
- 1.7 key pass

- 6.95 avg rating

Antony
- 1.4 dribble
- 1.4 key pass
- 7.60 avg rating

I get that you’re playing devil’s advocate here, and I get your main point being that the price is too high.

Still, I think you’re arguing too much like a bent advocate. You continually chose to present things skewed to make his age seem older, the price higher, the output less. Needless.

Comparing Antony and Luiz, I think we are paying extra because of several combined factors: Age compared to output is one (A at 22 v L at 22). Another is the supply/demand of left footed players v right footed. A third is United’s acute need of certain players v Liverpool’s. A fourth is thevalue of money over player for Ajax at this time v Porto’s at that time. A fifth is Ten Hag wanting specifically this player v Klopp wanting just a player of that profile and level.

All these factors don’t just add, they multiply. Bottom line is that United are where we are due to past mistakes etc, and now we must judge the value of this particular player to this particular project, compared to other particular players of his particular profile who is available right now. Looking at Martinez and Malacia v Liverpool, I tend to think it’s worth the risk at this moment.

roonster09

Scout
It would be very hard to find any fan who thinks the deal is not overpriced but that's what we have to do once we left it too late and dealing with club that has lost many players. If we are good with planning, we would have had alternate players ready but I don't think we are. Or maybe EtH is very rigid on his targets and want Antony only for his right wing.

So the question is, do we spend the money or carry the hole in right wing for entire season?

Status
Not open for further replies.