Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Name

I see I stepped on a lot of peoples toes here. Sorry for that. Let's start off saying that the comment has nothing to do with race. It was about the tattoos crawling up the neck of a guy in his early 20's and stereotypes associated with that. Maybe I'm oldfashioned and too old (I'm not that old though, but we can't all B20) to understand it, the ideals has clearly changed the last 25 years (when I was his age). Everyone is free to choose their style and appearance all they want, I don't think less of people looking different than me or having different taste than me. That's all cool, but your choice of style/appearance will affect the impression you make on other people and make people put you in different stereotype boxes without knowing the faintest little thing about you. Going for permanent bodyart in your face and neck before your grownup life has really started will make people think this and that...
I did not mean to offend anyone, but I can see that I have, so I'll think twice before I post anything like this again. Sorry!

Back to Antony, the footballplayer: I think he is far from a safe bet at the prices quoted in media and by pundits.
I'm sorry but it isnt 50 years ago or more when people who wore tattoos were either criminals, someone who was in the jail or in the army.

red_de_pologne

Not sure if this was already known, but it looks like the Eredivisie Transfer Window ends on the 31st August. This is one day before the window closes for the Premier League, at 11pm on Thursday 1st September.

I guess this means that Ajax will really need to do something quickly in terms of getting a replacement if they do let Ajax go. That's tight. I seriously can't see them leaving this amount of money on the table.
Genuinely worried our higher ups might be unaware of that and be still confident midday on 1st Sept.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's a deal that could have been sought back when Ten Hag was announced if the Glazers weren't being tight bastards
I think we aren't going to waitfor Frenkie to sign so we go Casemiro. A different tactical approach.
And that changes the priority and Antony became the next priority.
Now of we get Frenkie we have options.

Bossi

Supports
Ajax
I’m surprised at the negligence from Ajax in not knowing what to do without Antony.

He’s wanted to leave since the start of the window. It’s not a big surprise. Thought they were well run?!
We are, that is why we can afford to keep one of our best players and not have to sell. It's great.

How is that not a good thing for us? We are in a position of strength so no need to sell unless we get a good replacement in for a good price or a fee is that crazy that the board decides to sell without getting a replacement lined up.

It's is quite obvious Ajax know exactly what to do with Antony, it just depends on lots of variables what the end result will be. I expect Chelsea to drop the price and us to sell Antony before end of the window. And if not we keep Antony.

You should be moving your anger towards your own club for leaving it so late or to Chelsea for screwing you over by setting such a high price for Ziyech.

Because we don't want to sell and don't need to sell. Which is apparently a sign of a not well run club by your logic. I disagree with that.

Remember the geese

We are, that is why we can afford to keep one of our best players and not have to sell. It's great.

How is that not a good thing for us? We are in a position of strength so no need to sell unless we get a good replacement in for a good price or a fee is that crazy that the board decides to sell without getting a replacement lined up.

It's is quite obvious Ajax know exactly what to do with Antony, it just depends on lots of variables what the end result will be. I expect Chelsea to drop the price and us to sell Antony before end of the window. And if not we keep Antony.

You should be moving your anger towards your own club for leaving it so late or to Chelsea for screwing you over by setting such a high price for Ziyech.

Because we don't want to sell and don't need to sell. Which is apparently a sign of a not well run club by your logic. I disagree with that.
Ajax will soon lose their appeal though. They are viewed as a fair club who allow players to leave should they wish, providing the price is right. If this is no longer the case, young talents will be reluctant to move there.

TheReligion

Abusive

I’m not angry. I don’t mind either way. Just don’t see it as very good planning by Ajax as it’s clear the player doesn’t want to be there and that’s been obvious for months.

Not getting a replacement lined up is really silly on Ajax’s part. Ziyech or bust is quite laughable really.

Good luck keeping an unmotivated Antony. His value will drop and guess what… he’ll still want to leave!

captaincantona

Ajax are, as usual, behaving impeccably and handling their business well. Made it very clear from the outset that Antony was not for sale unless an astronomical offer was made. They have no need to sell nor an obligation. Utd, true to form, have done the old…

“we are not paying that…no way…no way…no way…ok times running out for both of us now…please…come one…please…ok now we’re both up shit creek if this doesn’t happen so here’s an extra €10 million for your troubles.”

Alemar

Should think a famed institution for developing their own youth have absolutely zero interest in bestowing their coaching on another clubs' talent.
Yes, that’s why we could send them Amad on a permanent transfer, if it facilitates Antony.

Marcus

Chelsea want to drag this to the wire for a double win. So that United may not be able to sign Antony and Ajax are made to pay more for Ziyech. It's not difficult to see. But if logic prevails, Chelsea will drop their asking price for a player they don't want to keep.

troylocker

I'm sorry but it isnt 50 years ago or more when people who wore tattoos were either criminals, someone who was in the jail or in the army.
Sure! That doesn't change the fact that how you choose to appear affect the impression you make on other people, especially the people that doesn't know you. Old fassion views or not.

Jacob

I wish our confidence in signing players was transferred to the pitch.

macheda14

Ajax will soon lose their appeal though. They are viewed as a fair club who allow players to leave should they wish, providing the price is right. If this is no longer the case, young talents will be reluctant to move there.
I’m sorry but it’s still Ajax at the end of the day. They’re a great club for young players to go to, great style of football, always in the CL, great fans, great history, really great city. If like Dortmund, they like to keep a player maybe one year extra, that isn’t going to affect how young players see them.

RedDevilRoshi

Ajax are, as usual, behaving impeccably and handling their business well. Made it very clear from the outset that Antony was not for sale unless an astronomical offer was made. They have no need to sell nor an obligation. Utd, true to form, have done the old…

“we are not paying that…no way…no way…no way…ok times running out for both of us now…please…come one…please…ok now we’re both up shit creek if this doesn’t happen so here’s an extra €10 million for your troubles.”
And that astronomical offer has been made - I doubt they even envisaged being offered €100M for him.

Of course they don’t have no need to sell but when the player is refusing to train and is pushing for the move, then why keep a very unhappy player at the club that clearly doesn’t want to stay and you’ve just been offered ridiculous money that I doubt you’d be getting anytime soon from elsewhere?

DonnyCostsAlotOfMoney

Supports
Ajax
Nah not really…they did something similar with Ihattaren from Juventus and only last year they loaned Brobbey back from RB before buying him. Not sure what makes you think they wouldn’t be interested in Amad in that context. My concern was based around them needing a first team replacement for their star player…which I think would be their greater concern.
Brobbey was a disaster.. Left for free.. Back on loan to be a stand-in. Then bought for an insane fee. Argument: there is not a better striker on the market + knows the club.. Insanity.. but great player and love his personality somehow. Our Pogba basically

Ihattaran is on on loan but with a buy- clause for 2m or something. Kid was considered a generational talent but has a bad mentality/ poor environment and lost his dad recently. He seemed to be back on track big time but now he is associated with the 'mocro maffia'. He loaned his car to some gangsters who used it to go to their trial (thats related to the murder of a journalist, a lawyer, the brother of the star witness, a beheading and thousands and thousands kilos of blow). One could say he does not have the best of judgement. Still unknown if he will be signed. After Promes we may want to treat carefully (he stabbed his cousin and, allegedly, invested in coke transports.. he was being wired and Ajax was wanred about his associates)

Getting a talent of Man Utd would only be interesting with a buy-on option. We are not Vitesse plus we have our own talents and struggle giving them enough minutes as it is

Reactions: Fortitude

Speako

I mean in that clip outside OT, Arnold is asked ‘are we signing Antony?’ - and he nods and literally says ‘Yes’. Although there’s history with Richard and his videos, this was clear as day surely?

Alemar

What is the status, did we officially submit a new bid? There were talks about its preparation for a week already, enough is enough.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I mean in that clip outside OT, Arnold is asked ‘are we signing Antony?’ - and he nods and literally says ‘Yes’. Although there’s history with Richard and his videos, this was clear as day surely?
Well is clear Ajax have accepted they'll probably sell Antony as they've been trying to buy Ziyech. They wouldn't do that if they were cemented on keeping him.

Obviously though we need Ajax to sign a replacement before they'll accept. Maybe we will have to wait until January if not.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Sounds like a them problem to be honest. Anyone that makes such assumptions about tattoos in 2022 is probably living under a rock.
Well to be fair you just proved our point because it was he who made that assumption not us. That is what we were having issues with.

....and what's up with the gangsta/drugdealer-look? You'd almost expect to find a knife or a gun on him.

Bossi

Supports
Ajax
I’m not angry. I don’t mind either way. Just don’t see it as very good planning by Ajax as it’s clear the player doesn’t want to be there and that’s been obvious for months.

Not getting a replacement lined up is really silly on Ajax’s part. Ziyech or bust is quite laughable really.

Good luck keeping an unmotivated Antony. His value will drop and guess what… he’ll still want to leave!

Yeah angry was overstating it. Apologies. A bit annoyed would be a better description.

Until last week everything looked all done. Antony happy and said he didn't mind staying another year even after the earlier high bids, him playing an amazing game at the weekend and kissing the logo and all was good in the world. And then another bid came in and things did change.

So it wasn't until last week that he really wanted to leave.

So yeah I agree an unhappy Antony is suboptimal, but he has a contract until 2027 (!) and with a world cup coming up where he isn't even sure of a starting spot or might even risk his spot in the squad if he downs tools he doesn't really have much say in it.

I am more worried about after the world cup

captaincantona

And that astronomical offer has been made - I doubt they even envisaged being offered €100M for him.

Of course they don’t have no need to sell but when the player is refusing to train and is pushing for the move, then why keep a very unhappy player at the club that clearly doesn’t want to stay and you’ve just been offered ridiculous money that I doubt you’d be getting anytime soon from elsewhere?
because Antony is a star player and they have limited time to find a replacement. Furthermore…if the Antony sale goes through now, before the replacement is brought in, the replacements club will know Ajax have 100million burning a hole in their pocket. So the gains they made in the transfer are lost on their subsequent outlay.

Ajax said clearly, astronomical offer only. Had that offer been made at the start of the window, allowing Ajax time to find a replacement before concluding the Antony deal…we wouldn’t be here. It’s Utds completely backward focusing on De Jong that has caused this.

For Ajax, and according to someones agent who recently gave an interview about it, (can’t recall exactly but something to the effect of it was hard to know who they were dealing with and everything had to be signed off before real decisions could be made) dealing with Utd is like amateur hour.

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax

So how do we know such thing? From media/journos? That would be error prone. Ofcourse Antony would want to make a step, but does that mean he does not want to play for Ajax for months already? I’d say no. A week ago we were all focussed on Antony kissing the Ajax logo. Last Friday the media/journos stated that Antony would like being reunited but does not feel a requirement to leave Ajax.

So yeah, Antpny probably will like his new salary in England, but probably(!) also doesn’t mind playing ball for Ajax

Posh Red

I’m sure any club that Ajax approached looking for a winger will put two and two together. The notion that posters in this thread have some kind of inside knowledge that selling clubs wouldn’t have is funny. I’m sure the money men at Chelsea have access to Twitter.

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax

If that amount was offerd in early june, Antony probably would have been running around old trafford for a couple of weeks already but maybe Martinez would not.

And again... please tell us you are Antony’s neighbour or bestie before gossiping he is “very unhappy”, “on strike”, “hates Ajax” or whatever. Unless this comes directly from Antony, these are bare insinuations based on very little.

And also again, money doesn’t score you goals!

Sparky Rhiwabon

Well to be fair you just proved our point because it was he who made that assumption not us. That is what we were having issues with.
Tattoos (and knife carrying to be fair) is commonplace with guys that age these days. (Not saying he carries one of course)

Giggsy13

This seems like a move that will get done on deadline say. Ajax will squeeze United for every single penny, as they did with Martinez.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Nah not really…they did something similar with Ihattaren from Juventus and only last year they loaned Brobbey back from RB before buying him. Not sure what makes you think they wouldn’t be interested in Amad in that context. My concern was based around them needing a first team replacement for their star player…which I think would be their greater concern.
Ihattaren is the formerly biggest talent in Holland, and it's a 1.5 season loan with an option to buy for... €2m. You'd almost be stupid not to take that chance if you think you have even a 10% chance of getting him back on track.
It was mostly just getting him back to fitness with the reserves anyway, and now with all the shit surrounding him on a personal level it looks like Ajax won't be taking the option after all anyway.

If Ihattaren were to be back in his old form, with a clear mind, etc. we'd have had an immediate Antony replacement for €2m.

Brobbey was because we desperately needed a backup striker who would immediately fit in, and Brobbey was therefore an obvious option considering he'd only just left exactly that role, and knew the Ajax system inside out.
It was a massive feck up all around though, even if his goals in that first month back at the club probably did win us the league.

Having more inexperienced talent loaned to us wouldn't really help in this case. we have our own talents for the position (Hansen, Rasmussen, Van Axel Dongen) and a bright talent who will need to adjust (Conceicao) already. Another of the latter doesn't add anything, and definitely not on the "be competitive in the Champions League" level.

The argument against selling Antony at this point is that you've spent a lot of money this summer on players (Bergwijn, Bassey) as immediate replacements or improvements so that you can perform immediately this season at a similar level under the new manager as you did under Ten Hag. Selling Antony now without a Ziyech level replacement would mean a complete change to the ambitions/targets for the season.

I think the view within the club at this point would be that if you can't replace Antony at this late stage at that sort of level, then you're better off risking getting a €50-70m fee for Antony next summer and holding onto the ambitions and promises for this season.

Obviously you risk his value tanking beyond even that, but you always run that risk anyway. Also performing in the CL makes our other assets, like a Timber, worth more.
Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent, sorry.

Reactions: Fortitude

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
This seems like a move that will get done on deadline say. Ajax will squeeze United for every single penny, as they did with Martinez.
Antony-deal and Martinez-deal are similar in that fact that Ajax was able to directly sign Bassey as amartinez’ replacement. Thát is a tad different with Antony where Conceicao needs some time to replace Antony and Ziyech is probably not coming over from Chelsea. Besides that, the moment in the window also doesn’t help. No time left to get a good replacement, so it has not that much todo with money imho, but with the sportive side of the transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.