Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I was only 8 or 9 at the time, but I remember my dad being absolutely furious that we were letting Gillespie go.
For reasons not worth going into, I was in the newsroom of a national newspaper when this story broke. bedlam in the sports desk with a very obviously senior guy - and even more obviously a Geordie - going apoplectic with rage

jackal&hyde

They weren't. Whitwell confirmed Morata was pursued but we walked away over the price. Arnautovic bid was reported across Athletic/BBC etc. That's not agent talk.
I canceled my sub to the Athletic some time ago. Their nr.1 source for info are agents.

Amsterdammed

Supports
Ajax
Hi, new here.

Nice discussion about Antony. Since a couple of days i really think Antony will stay another season at Ajax.
Especially because Zyech will not come to Ajax. The Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf said today there is a chance Antony will be in the Ajax squad this weekend to play against FC Utrecht. I think if that happend, he will stay.

https://www.telegraaf.nl

Member 101269

Nothing is held back from our side. We are waiting for Ajax to settle their replacement I think
Interesting; i was implying announcements are made when the stock market is open. If you believe nothing will hold back the announcement. okay..

pacifictheme

The same time he also swapped Keith Gillespie + money for Andy Cole, and Gillespie was probably a highly rated youngster in the league at the time and the deal including his services and cash was a British record at the time. Newcastle quickly became main rivals for the title and at one point they had 12 points more than United, so very risky from SAF indeed. But worth a title in the end, and who knows, maybe with Sancho and Antony at wings, we would have "The Entertainers" no.2 in Premier League.
Them being ahead in the title race had little to do with Gillespie. He really wasn't one of their main players.

AndySmith1990

Thought there would be more movement on this by now. Guess Ajax are trying to sort out the replacement first

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I really hope ETH hasn’t spoke about Martial publicly unless a deal has been secured for Antony already.

Tommy79

https://www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/...-on-his-man-utd-career-during-mutv-group-chat

try be a little less arrogant in your response. Keith himself has a different view and if Fergie was in any way swayed by Beckham coming through he wouldn’t have tried to buy Gillespie back.

Finally, it’s no beyond the pale to say that a great man manager such as Ferguson, who was famed for knowing how to handle players between professional and personal challenges, would have been a positive influence on the careers of those players. Your examples of Yorke and Sharpe are just odd and not comparable as they had great careers with Utd. They struggled once they left. You are in a club of one with a view that troubled players possibly thriving under Ferguson is “madness gone mad” - Cantona would like a word.

it’s one thing being wrong…but you did it in such an arrogant and emphatic way. A bit embarrassing for you that.
Arrogant" you just lost the rag because I stated Fergie was not some sort of Jesus Christ that could save everyone, and yes you can compare those two I mentioned, as both left here due to their lifestyles, something Fergie had try to curb with Sharpe since 92 and failed. As for great careers, yorke had two decent seasons here and his party lifestyle start effecting him in 2000, so hardly a great career.

Also, other than Eric, what other troubled player did Fergie save so ? Anything else is just hearsay and guess on your behalf, as a person can only be helped if they want it and pretty sure others like Hoddle, El Tel offered Gaza help and look how he turned out.

Notice the way you just attacked me over Fergie, but refuse to comment on my pointing out you were wrong on why Keith left, and you have the balls to call me arrogant, so please point it out where I was that, as it appears you deem people arrogant if they prove your point to be wrong which you were and then try to change the goalpost by using the fact Fergie wanted him back a few months later.

captaincantona

Arrogant" you just lost the rag because I stated Fergie was not some sort of Jesus Christ that could save everyone, and yes you can compare those two I mentioned, as both left here due to their lifestyles, something Fergie had try to curb with Sharpe since 92 and failed. As for great careers, yorke had two decent seasons here and his party lifestyle start effecting him in 2000, so hardly a great career.

Also, other than Eric, what other troubled player did Fergie save so ? Anything else is just hearsay and guess on your behalf, as a person can only be helped if they want it and pretty sure others like Hoddle, El Tel offered Gaza help and look how he turned out.

Notice the way you just attacked me over Fergie, but refuse to comment on my pointing out you were wrong on why Keith left, and you have the balls to call me arrogant, so please point it out where I was that, as it appears you deem people arrogant if they prove your point to be wrong which you were and then try to change the goalpost by using the fact Fergie wanted him back a few months later.
Follow the link I gave you at the top of my post. I don’t need to prove you wrong…Keith did it himself in that interview. The fact that you think you know better is quite arrogant no?

second, Yorke and Sharpe. Find me one article or source that says they were let go because of their lifestyle? They just didn’t have what it took to take the next step and to maintain the level required.

And for other players…type “Fergie” and “father figure” into Google ya lazy sod. The amount of players that cited Fergie as a father like positive influence on them while they were away from home. It’s common knowledge no? Clearly not for you. Surely that influence would have been a good thing for Gillespie? Might have helped

as for Fergie, saying that the great man could have helped the guys career ain’t calling him”Jesus Christ”…that was you. Mine was a quite reasonable view that he /could would have had a better career under Fergies management and the climate of professionalism Fergie set at Utd.

Last edited:

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Him stepping up in big games, would that be due to the spaces bigger side leave behind like we see with Rashford or is it his attitude towards small games.
The former more than the latter imo. Domestic opponents almost without exception all park the bus.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ajax have every right to demand whatever they see fit for the benefit of their own club. But according to Mike Verweij, Antony has been preparing to leave the club since the end of last season. He (Verweij) went on to say that Antony's agents were putting feelers out for a prospective buyer to come forward because Antony felt he was ready for the step up. Verweij also mentioned about a month ago that Ajax were expecting a approach closer to the end of the window. So unless Mike Verweij is making things up, Ajax knew that the player wanted to move before the transfer window opened and they've also been aware about a late approach for the player.

As far as United are concerned, Antony would've been a United player by now if it wasn't for Joel Glazer imo. I do believe the transfer budget for the current window was around £120m, which was widely reported. But I think the two defeats at the hands of Brighton and Brentford started a chain of events which put immense pressure on the Glazers. Casemiro arrived shortly after, and the pursuit for Antony which was reported to be over, was once again a real possibility.

Trex

The former more than the latter imo. Domestic opponents almost without exception all park the bus.
Okay, if he can pull players towards himself in the lesser games allowing more space for other forwards that will be good.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Hi, new here.

Nice discussion about Antony. Since a couple of days i really think Antony will stay another season at Ajax.
Especially because Zyech will not come to Ajax. The Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf said today there is a chance Antony will be in the Ajax squad this weekend to play against FC Utrecht. I think if that happend, he will stay.

https://www.telegraaf.nl
I'm starting to have similar thoughts about this transfer. We will probably get the Newcastle goalie and that's it for the remainder of the transfer window. We will probably revisit this after this season.

Count Ravioli

We heard all summer how we were confident and relaxed about the FDJ deal, look how that ended up. These briefs to the press do nothing to comfort me.

Dembeza

Seeing some rumors Van der Sar has stepped into the negotiations.
Done deal!

I sometimes do wonder how Ajax fans feel when Van de Sar always steps in to make sure that we always get what we want from Ajax and at very reasonable price.

captaincantona

With Martial out, Ronny still praying for an CL team to take him and Elanga really showing his limitations over the last year rather than kicking on, this transfer is very important indeed. If it falls through - let’s give Chicharito, Welbeck and Januzaj a buzz…see if they will do us a favour and get the band back together! (Only half joking about Januzaj)

LordSpud

Done deal!

I sometimes do wonder how Ajax fans feel when Van de Sar always steps in to make sure that we always get what we want from Ajax and at very reasonable price.
From VdS' point of view he got us a deal done for one of Ajax's best players and we pretty much ruined his career. Might not be all rosy on that front.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From VdS' point of view he got us a deal done for one of Ajax's best players and we pretty much ruined his career. Might not be all rosy on that front.
Doubt VDS cares that deeply about VDB being unable to prove himself at a higher level.

JustinC00

Ajax seem to be struggling post-Overmars on the technical side with Huntelaar/Hamstra. Van der Sar stepping in indicates that. They've seemingly put values on players, received bids + changed their mind when seeing what other players are going for, so they make it up on the fly. He reportedly had to step in to finish the Bergwijn deal too this summer. Wouldn't surprise me if it was him that got the deal for Martinez over the line.

Last edited:

Newtonius

This club is just so predictable the panic has gone he would already be here if we had lost at Liverpool, maybe even Gakpo as well.

mu4c_20le

Or maybe he had a hand in mugging us. Funny how they don't try to take him back if he's so good.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Ajax seem to be struggling post-Overmars on the technical side with Huntelaar/Hamstra. Van der Sar stepping in indicates that. They've seemingly put values on players, received bids + changed their mind when seeing what other players are going for, so they make it up on the fly. He reportedly had to step in to finish the Bergwijn deal too this summer. Wouldn't surprise me if it was him that got the our deal for Martinez over the line.
Hamstra and Huntelaar were appointed as interims, haven't officially been made DOF (board member) yet and as such possibly not authorized to close deals above a certain price without a board member signing off on it.

On paper Hamstra is the technical manager, and Huntelaar is his assistant. Neither of which have director level authority and is quite important for a publicly listed club.

Newtonius

Nah, this ain't the local shop mate... at the price quoted with a stubborn seller this is a complex deal.
This is the club that made a 130 million offer for Joao Felix after Brentford the money is there (or was there) all of those "complexities" would have disappeared had they lost again.

Status
Not open for further replies.