Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackAttackAttack

Surely wouldn't if they weren't selling him...
Agreed, I think they will work on the structure of the payment (more upfront) to push it over the line. I do not think it all depends on Ajax finding a replacement for Antony. The player wants to go and is on strike, United have offered an astronomical sum, now it’s Ajax trying to look strong and get as much out of the deal as possible. I also don’t see Chelsea holding out for the sum they are asking Ajax to pay for Ziyech.

MUnchies

This club is just so predictable the panic has gone he would already be here if we had lost at Liverpool, maybe even Gakpo as well.
Yeah, all this is in your mind. The result against Liverpool would not have changed anything win or lose, Antony will be here the same time as planned. Are you assuming if we had lost Antony and Gakpo would have been here this week and ready to play Southampton?

Member 125398

This is the club that made a 130 million offer for Joao Felix after Brentford the money is there (or was there) all of those "complexities" would have disappeared had they lost again.
Does anyone actually believe that was real? We get so much nonsense reported about us by journalists trying to get some attention by using our name. Twitter is just the modern day equivalent of the teletext clubcall ads. "United in mega-raid for ace hotshot. call for more details...."

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It amazes people post content/tweet that is more than 5 minutes old. It’s already been posted…

AFCA1900

Supports
Ajax
Ajax seem to be struggling post-Overmars on the technical side with Huntelaar/Hamstra. Van der Sar stepping in indicates that. They've seemingly put values on players, received bids + changed their mind when seeing what other players are going for, so they make it up on the fly. He reportedly had to step in to finish the Bergwijn deal too this summer. Wouldn't surprise me if it was him that got the deal for Martinez over the line.
Hamstra and Huntelaar are not struggling at all. From Ajax' point of view there is no rush in this transfer. First we want to find a decent replacement - if not, Antony will not be sold.

Of course it is a nice offer (around €90m.), but Ajax sits on a massive amount of money already. So the sporty side weighs more compared to the financial side in this transfer I think.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Maybe we should include DVB in the deal? I know we are short in the central are but Ajax might be might be more open to the deal this way

AFCA1900

Supports
Ajax
Maybe we should include DVB in the deal? I know we are short in the central are but Ajax might be might be more open to the deal this way
We don't need a player like Donny at the moment, our midfield is full already. We need a right winger with pace. Someone like Antony ;)

Baxquux

clean 50m, Donny and Chong in the deal, maybe, plus an Amad loan? Could be beneficial for both parties on balance, although I'd still prefer Amad to get 20 games for a lower-end PL club whilst building up his strength and situational awareness within PL-paced games...

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
We already have 2 midfielders on the bench which were starting for NL in the last match...

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
When the feck are we just going to go ahead and appoint VdS as our new CEO? Everyone knows it’s the most logical thing to do apart from the actual people who can make it happen.
Because he’s the dutch Woodward and is the master at making commercial deals for Ajax.

He doesn’t touch the footballing side of the operation at all, he leaves that to their DoF.

Superunknown

Hi, new here.

Nice discussion about Antony. Since a couple of days i really think Antony will stay another season at Ajax.
Especially because Zyech will not come to Ajax. The Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf said today there is a chance Antony will be in the Ajax squad this weekend to play against FC Utrecht. I think if that happend, he will stay.

https://www.telegraaf.nl
Welcome to the Cafe and cheers for the post.

I don't think it's clear cut either way whether he goes or stays, so either scenario has a chance of happening. It seems like Ziyech is a big sticking point for Ajax, and I don't know if they are linked to any other names that would make them feel ok with Antony going.

It's interesting reading Transfermarkt and looking at who has come and gone this Summer. They've spent about £91million and have recouped £109million in sales. They seem to be in a habit of their sales/players out outweighing their spending/expenditure/players coming in. That suggests that they're probably in a healthy financial situation, unless something is going on behind the scenes (unlikely, in my opinion), which in turn suggests that they're not in trouble and desperately need the money. On the other hand, it does show that they are used to selling players/moving players on for profit. The numbers we're talking about would rival the money they received for de Jong and de Ligt, so it's a serious amount of money. On top of the that, the player wants to go.

It's a tricky one that I can't personally call either way anymore. That money could be huge for Ajax and lead to tons of reinvestment, but it might be too late in the window for that. I still think if Ajax can get someone in to replace Antony's role in the squad, he'll leave. They're financially in a position where they can accept the Ziyech money, in my opinion. So, it might be that they're trying to bring that cost down first.

ShinjiNinja26

Because he’s the dutch Woodward and is the master at making commercial deals for Ajax.

He doesn’t touch the footballing side of the operation at all, he leaves that to their DoF.
Hence why I said CEO. He’s done a brilliant job at Ajax and even though he doesn’t handle football matters on a day to day basis he’s still a football man. I’d much rather him than some unknown quantity like Arnold.

ETH86

Supports
Ajax
What about Amad? We could sell him to you as cash+player exchange for Antony
Sorry to say, but this is not Ajax from 2013. Shite players that never leave the bench at United, Barca or other big clubs aren't good enough for us anymore.

Remad7

Why does it always take so long for us to submit a bid?

Before we know it will be deadline day and will just encourage Ajax to drag their heels and be like "oh well what do you know the deadlines passed, guess he stays with us then!"

So incredibly frustrating.

Last edited:

Superunknown

I think we're waiting for the all-clear that any bid we put in will be accepted before we then go through the motions, hence why Edwin is getting involved.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I reckon this is in part because we were monitoring De Jong, but if we've kicked off the VdS talks then its likely full steam ahead Antony(?)
We will conclude this asap because Ajax still need to do things on their end, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.