Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We will probably walk away, he stays on strike or downs his tools, come back in January and sign him for 30m.

OrcaFat

I now have, they haven't gone back on their word. Your point is still incorrect. He might come but Ajax are playing this perfectly.
If he might come, what is Ajax’s aim? To get more money? I thought the word is they don’t want to sell?

We can’t know they are playing it perfectly or not until we see what happens - will Ajax be better off than if they had accepted the large bid?

RORY65

Clearly not, we hear it first hand he's told them he wants to leave twice, 4 months apart.
Did they agree that he could leave? If not then they haven't gone back on their word, surely that's obvious.

saivet

I think Ajax are daft for turning down this offer but I thought the same about PSG turning down 160m for Mbappe last summer and Dortmund refusing to let Haaland go last summer for over 100m.

There are other factors at play why a club may turn down a daft offer especially when they could still make a healthy (even if less profit) next summer.

I think this will get done and we'll end up paying the 100m they want. Worry is that if we don't make the offer soon they might jack up the price if we come calling on deadline day.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Of course they are. People here disrespect Ajax every 3 posts, just because they won't let them have a new shiny toy. Not that hard to dislike those people.
You're on redcafe, not red and white cafe.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
In June of this year, I interrupted my vacation and came personally to inform the managers of Ajax, including new coach, about my wish to leave and that they should consider this possibility, because it was a project for two seasons.
:lol:

What a dickhead. Wanted the financial security of a 5-year deal should he flop in Europe, and was too scared to bet on himself by only signing a 2-year deal. Can't have it both ways.

Enigma_87

You know who
It’s exactly how it works.

We are getting stitched up for not doing our business early.

Even with an unhappy player that is not playing or training, Ajax are still playing hardball.

Why? Because they are in the driving seat as they know we’re desperate.
Maybe, maybe not.

It’s clear the guy wants to move. He’s skipping training and refusing to play. If they don’t sell this year they will have a very unhappy player that would sulk the place for a year with his value going down the crapper.

I doubt any club would want to go down that road. Yes they would make a “statement” but a what price?

RORY65

If he might come, what is Ajax’s aim? To get more money? I thought the word is they don’t want to sell?

We can’t know they are playing it perfectly or not until we see what happens - will Ajax be better off than if they had accepted the large bid?
I mean either they keep one of their best players or they get an even more overly inflated fee to compensate for losing him this late, 2 pretty good results for them I would suggest.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We have the worst negotiators on the planet. Forget about football, these losers wouldn't be able to negotiate a decent price of potato, in an Istanbul bazaar.

They do everything the worst way: not setting deadlines, being desparate, having no alternative options, waiting until the last second...

It's as if they don't really want to buy, or they are completely incompetent, or both.

What a fecking train wreck

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Conversely, if their own scouts had thought he had no quality, would they have offered him a five year contract. Why don’t they just offer a 2 year deal then if they thought he might be shit.

Of course they’re entitled to keep him but they’re doing nothing but damaging their own brand in the eyes of future starlets that see Ajax as a stepping stone to the bigger leagues. I’m sure agents will be calling Ajax to insert release clauses into their client’s contracts if it’s clear the club won’t honor its promises. It was Ajax who set the price, a price that United have matched multiple times only to be told a new price each time. And it’s not even like United are lowballing Ajax either; it’s a record price for the league and far exceeds his market value.

You missed the point about the 2 years, I'm saying neither side can decide a 5 year contract is not just tgat. Their brand can only be strengthened by this stand off. Ask a non united supporter.

Sviken

Wouldn't be surprised to see us push for Gakpo instead now. I don't see us going above what we offered, would be very surprising, already a ridiculous offer. No chance Ajax gets as much for him next summer, but he'll still fetch a good fee.
Honestly we should leave. It sets a bad precedent to be fleeced like that. We did good walking away from Rabiot and Arnautovic, now is the time to leave this behind, too as much as I would want him. We're already offering stupid money and if they don't want to accept this, then whatever - surely there are targets out there that can do a better job than what we have for way less money.

Abraxas

It's not really entitlement I think. Imo 80m is more than a fair price. We didn't keep Ronaldo against his will. Of course Ajax could do whatever they want but imo it's not really nice nor right to keep a player against his will when the offer is fair.
It's a more than fair price in your opinion.
Which is fine, you can have a view on what you think a price is, but fairness is probably not high on the agenda for football clubs. Never has been, let's not delude ourselves into thinking they consider anyone but themselves, and that goes for us too.

The key being, you're not Ajax, you don't really know how selling him now impacts their prospects. You don't really know how good he is, whereas they have a fair idea of his potential. You perhaps haven't taken into account that they also have a plan, they've already lost some players and eventually they have to also have an opinion on their own squad and not just be washed over by every wave that hits them because we think they should because we want a new toy.

So maybe Ajax's fair price for selling this player at this stage and yours is different for quite explainable reasons.

RORY65

how the feck do I know :lol: according to Antony yes.
According to him where? He said he told them he wanted to leave, I don't see where he's said that was approved. You're the one who said they went back on their word, now you have no idea.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Haven't met the required price? It's the largest ever fee for an Eredivise player! It's clear what's happening here, and it's not about the offer on the table.

This will change things going forward re: their recruitment abroad. Look at what Haaland did with Dortmund, insisting on a release clause when he signed that contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Bellingham's done the same, but someone please check. The difference with Haaland is that he was a top-rated talent, and so a price could be set beforehand that would seem reasonable. What about an unknown South American with a potentially high ceiling? How would his agents protect his prospects?
Haaland also wanted a release clause when Man Utd were trying to purchase him and from all reports seems to have a couple in his Man City contract too.

Some of you have your heads in the clouds to think that a teen South American who isn't a Neymar like talent will turn their nose up at going to Ajax in the future, undoubtedly one of the best clubs in Europe to be a young player.

It's also incredibly churlish to think long contracts only protect clubs. Yeah it's great for Ajax that Anthony fulfilled his potential. What if he didn't, as so many don't? He'd be sitting pretty, on a salary far higher than any he'd get in Brazil and going nowhere most likely unless another club offered a similar salary or Ajax agreed to subsidise his salary.

It goes both ways.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I mean either they keep one of their best players or they get an even more overly inflated fee to compensate for losing him this late, 2 pretty good results for them I would suggest.
They literally can't lose. They want to hold they player but if they lose him it's for a small fortune. It's what their fans wouod want.

cyberman

Because they wouldn't be 3 weeks into a season and they'd have months and months to replace him, rather than a few days.

No one truly believes that we offered over 90m Euros on day 1 of the transfer window then he'd still be an Ajax player. We were slow and ponderous yet again.

It amazes me after 10 years of this incompetence people are still desperate to defend the club.
Who says they need months? Even then Antony is clearly saying he told them back in February that he wanted to leave.
I know early transfers is preferable but let’s not pretend making g a bid with a third of the transfer window left is somehow late.
I’m not defending the club, I’m seeing the player himself state that he told the club many times this year, never mind this summer, that he was set on a move. Even then we literally meet their price each step of the way! What should we do, offer more than they’re asking? It’s their indecisiveness that’s stringing this along.
It doesn’t always have to be Man Utd bad. Another club can feck up their window as well.

Rolaholic

Just because its a record fee doesn't make it the required price - even if we think its a more then generous offer.

I'm sure if we bid £150m they would accept. Ultimately its Ajax who set his worth to them and what they want to do this season.
:lol: :houllier:

No player has ever been valued more in Holland and its not as if he's the greatest player to ever step foot in the Eredivisie. The offers rejected have been absolutely more than fair

AndySmith1990

Wouldn't be surprised to see us push for Gakpo instead now. I don't see us going above what we offered, would be very surprising, already a ridiculous offer. No chance Ajax gets as much for him next summer, but he'll still fetch a good fee.
The difference is £9m. feck it, get it done

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Haaland also wanted a release clause when Man Utd were trying to purchase him and from all reports seems to have a couple in his Man City contract too.

Some of you have your heads in the clouds to think that a teen South American who isn't a Neymar like talent will turn their nose up at going to Ajax in the future, undoubtedly one of the best clubs in Europe to be a young player.

It's also incredibly churlish to think long contracts only protect clubs. Yeah it's great for Ajax that Anthony fulfilled his potential. What if he didn't, as so many don't? He'd be sitting pretty, on a salary far higher than any he'd get in Brazil and going nowhere most likely unless another club offered a similar salary or Ajax agreed to subsidise his salary.

It goes both ways.
You're a head of sense today.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
At least he's consistent about being a cnut. Who knows, Ajacieden may come to share my opinion of him after all :nervous:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
:lol: :houllier:

No player has ever been valued more in Holland and its not as if he's the greatest player to ever step foot in the Eredivisie. The offers rejected have been absolutely more than fair
We don't set the price, they do.

That's literally how football has always worked.

If they are holding out for 100m Euros, then thats their perogative

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
According to him where? He said he told them he wanted to leave, I don't see where he's said that was approved. You're the one who said they went back on their word, now you have no idea.
Are you being stupid on purpose? Antony clearly states they had an agreement which is why he's so angry.

How else are we supposed to know the situation :houllier:

Drainy

What a dickhead. Wanted the financial security of a 5-year deal should he flop in Europe, and was too scared to bet on himself by only signing a 2-year deal. Can't have it both ways.
Or he signed a longer contract so he will have a higher transfer value which benefits the clubs who gave him the opportunity. Especially given the sell on clause for Sao Paulo

Some people are still romantics.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
You're on redcafe, not red and white cafe.
I know, but i'm absolutely neutral on this deal. I don't want him to leave Ajax, but i also want him at Utd. So i can now finally see how both sides react and it's not looking great for the Utd Side, it's full of petulant children that throw away any logic because all they think is that Ajax is a very small club that shouldn't be able to refuse bids this high, even though Ajax is very rich and can reject it with ease.

TsuWave

Can'r really question the guy's desire to come here. I hope we can make it happen for him

marcus agrippa

this thread is full of petulant children who believe every bit of information that is in their favour. You think that everything Antony's team is now saying is the truth? Of course not, he's trying to force a move, so they'll say everything they think will help their case. If Utd payed up instantly this wouldn't be a problem. Ajax has been clear from the start that they won't negotiate, it's asking price or get out.
Is it? Wasn't the asking price lower not long ago? 80 million or so?

And it cuts both ways: why should I believe everything/anything Ajax say?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Or he signed a longer contract so he will have a higher transfer value which benefits the clubs who gave him the opportunity. Especially given the sell on clause for Sao Paulo

Some people are still romantics.
Yeah I'm sure he was also having Ajax' financials in mind back then. That might be how clubs think, but players don't give a feck.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Haven't met the required price? It's the largest ever fee for an Eredivise player! It's clear what's happening here, and it's not about the offer on the table.
And when you add money and they accept it it will still be the largest fee ever for an Eredivise player.

They will have a numerical figure that they will feel is fair due to the fact they have little to no time to replace him (because you still haven't offered them what they want) and if you compensate that they will leave.

They are under no obligation to accept what United/Antony or anyone else feels is a fair offer.

Nights

You missed the point about the 2 years, I'm saying neither side can decide a 5 year contract is not just tgat. Their brand can only be strengthened by this stand off. Ask a non united supporter.
How are they strengthening their brand? Their entire model is based around buying rising starlets from smaller leagues and developing them, whilst offering a shop window to the big fish in larger leagues.Talented young players sign for them because they know they’re a selling club.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
At least he's consistent about being a cnut. Who knows, Ajacieden may come to share my opinion of him after all :nervous:
We've always known he is a cnut, but there is no problem if he's on your side :lol:

Laurencio

If only he was the top target when they were wasting 3 months on FDJ, ultimately that's whos fault it is when he didn't want to leave, Ajax are only doing what is best for them.
I guarantee you we know the asking price, but also know that the closer to the end of the window we get, the more difficult Antony will become. We're trying to get him cheaper, Ajax are trying to get as much money as possible - in the middle is an inexperienced kid who doesn't get what is happening and is scared to death he won't be allowed his dream move.

This will either be a Sancho type deal where we wait until next summer, or we will plonk down the 100M and sign him before the window closes.

marcus agrippa

The club did too. Length of contract protects the club just as much. Why were you lot so desperate to tie Salah down? Certainly not for his financial security!

Status
Not open for further replies.