Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The only thing that makes any sense to me is that Ajax and Ten Hag think he's the next Neymar level player. Yes to the whole rest of the footballing world he doesnt look anywhere near that level but they should know best. If he's not then why would Ajax hold out for 100mill? They will never get this kind of money unless he turns out to be a Neymar level player. And the same goes for United. Ten Hag must be saying he is going to be world class or why offer that much? Sure you can say they are paying a premium because United are desperate or Ajax dont want to sell so close to the end of the window etc but there is paying a premium is paying double. Lets say he is is not Neymar put will turn out Raphina level in 3 years then he's surely worth less than Raphina is now. And thats 60 million euros. So Antony at Raphinas level is worth around 50 because he is young and raw and unproven. A premium extortionate fee would be then be what 70? So wtf is 100mill? Ajax make a profit of what 120 mill a year. Makes no sense.
He's 10 levels below Neymar at the same age who was already a major player for Barcelona, it's not even comparable. He's also way below Hazard who was the best player in Ligue 1 2 years in a row. There's far more chances that he's at Raphina's level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I know, but i'm absolutely neutral on this deal. I don't want him to leave Ajax, but i also want him at Utd. So i can now finally see how both sides react and it's not looking great for the Utd Side, it's full of petulant children that throw away any logic because all they think is that Ajax is a very small club that shouldn't be able to refuse bids this high, even though Ajax is very rich and can reject it with ease.
It's not because you can, it's because why are they? do you seriously think 90m euros for Antony isn't fair?

The player has requested to leave for the next step in his career, Ajax are being fairly compensated - this is how football works.

RORY65

Are you being stupid on purpose? Antony clearly states they had an agreement which is why he's so angry.

How else are we supposed to know the situation :houllier:
I'm the one being stupid. He said he told them twice before today that he wanted to leave, nowhere does he say they agreed to it and in fact they offered him a new contract as an alternative. All he says is that he considered it a 2 year project based on nothing concrete seemingly.

Adam-Utd

I'm the one being stupid. He said he told them twice before today that he wanted to leave, nowhere does he say they agreed to it and in fact they offered him a new contract as an alternative. All he says is that he considered it a 2 year project based on nothing concrete seemingly.
Why would they feel the need to compensate him if there was no agreement?

Heyli

Supports
Ajax
At least he's consistent about being a cnut. Who knows, Ajacieden may come to share my opinion of him after all :nervous:
Already did. But at least he was ours, so then you happily accept. not too sorry to see him leave though. (I actually think it would be ashame to miss out on 90 mil in case Ajax decide not to sell)

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
We should just walk away. Antony will be unhappy at Ajax and hopefully kick up a fuss in the dressing room and refuse to try his best. Ajax will suffer for this and we will get him for cheaper next year when his stock has fallen. Feck them.

mav_9me

They should. Its not to Ajax's benefit to have them but any player who joins on the understanding its for a set time period should require a clause with Ajax
Yeah but that's where mutually agreed comes in. I mean clubs like Ajax's model is to sell players on, but it starts with their scouting and then attracting the players to their club on this basis. Talents might be more likely to go to clubs that offer realistic clauses. Better chance of recruiting the young talents they want.

RORY65

They literally can't lose. They want to hold they player but if they lose him it's for a small fortune. It's what their fans wouod want.
It's what we would want if United were in that situation.

Drainy

Yeah but that's where mutually agreed comes in. I mean clubs like Ajax's model is to sell players on, but it starts with their scouting and then attracting the players to their club on this basis. Talents might be more likely to go to clubs that offer realistic clauses. Better chance of recruiting the young talents they want.
RB Ajax here we come

cyberman

They literally can't lose. They want to hold they player but if they lose him it's for a small fortune. It's what their fans wouod want.
They have a player who has effectively went on strike.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How are they strengthening their brand? Their entire model is based around buying rising starlets from smaller leagues and developing them, whilst offering a shop window to the big fish in larger leagues.Talented young players sign for them because they know they’re a selling club.
What the feck? They have one of the best youth academies in the entire world. They literally develop superstars on a regular basis.

You're going on about them like they're Dortmund or Porto.

saivet

Haaland also wanted a release clause when Man Utd were trying to purchase him and from all reports seems to have a couple in his Man City contract too.

Some of you have your heads in the clouds to think that a teen South American who isn't a Neymar like talent will turn their nose up at going to Ajax in the future, undoubtedly one of the best clubs in Europe to be a young player.
Exactly. Antony may well stay but they would have seen Martinez, Gravernberch and Haller move to bigger clubs for a transfer fee. Onana and Mazraoui have made steps up on free transfers. Ajax will still be an attractive option for young players, needs a whole lot more than Antony staying for it to really change.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
It's not because you can, it's because why are they? do you seriously think 90m euros for Antony isn't fair?

The player has requested to leave for the next step in his career, Ajax are being fairly compensated - this is how football works.
Ajax believe that there is a good chance he'll shine at the World Cup, thus making the 100m fee fair. Of course, that's a gamble. But it's not impossible, because he is very good.
If this wasn't a World Cup year he would've been sold by now for like 80m i guess. But it is a World Cup year

Bestie07

Ajax have always been a reasonable club in our dealings with him. I would argue that they just don't believe it is the correct time for them to sell Antony after losing literally half their first team already. Maybe time to recognise they don't want to sell this window and move on?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yes some players do.
A player who loves his current club might indeed re-new because he knows the club can sell him for more money the next year or the year after that, but that's not at all how it is with this Antony situation.

Enigma_87

You know who
What happens if United walk away like they did with Rabiot?

No one is offering that kind of money and they have unsettled player that wants a move.
How is Ajax winning in that scenario?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Blaming Ajax is silly. Our ire should be directed at our useless DoF and CEO. How come it's our club at the centre of these sagas so often? Boring.
No one is blaming anyone here. I think the point is that, while Ajax are right to be not willing to lose yet another player, it'll be more damaging to keep an unhappy one.

I believe as per reports, the asking price was 40m at the start, which rose to 60 then 80 and now even 100m bids are getting rejected. And I obviously get that it's late in the window, but surely Ajax should have shook hands on exit terms at the start of the window or in Feb, when Antony told them his intentions to leave.

The fact that he had expressed his desire to leave, and despite that Ajax did not sign a replacement is Ajax's fault. It's like us and Ronaldo - if he leaves and we're left with just Martial as CF, that's on us.

DonnyCostsAlotOfMoney

Supports
Ajax
Yeah I am sure every latin american talent will refuse to go to Ajax now because they would hate to be in Antonys situation now. The horror.

Which other club will fork up a 20m fee, 3m salary, CL football and a limited buy out clause?

complete nonsense argument

Something else. Dont underestimate the egos at play. Glazers and Murthough or however the fcek he is called need a big signing. He can go panic mode and get that Napoli fella or some washed up Asensio with an insane salary or add 10m and get Antony

From Ajax' side; huntelaar and Hamstra replaced Overmars. They did great with Martinez. If they keep Antony its considered a feat. If they get 100m they are gods too. If they sell now its kinda winky

Reactions: moses

Adam-Utd

Ajax believe that there is a good chance he'll shine at the World Cup, thus making the 100m fee fair. Of course, that's a gamble. But it's not impossible, because he is very good.
If this wasn't a World Cup year he would've been sold by now for like 80m i guess. But it is a World Cup year
He could also be unhappy until the world cup, lose his motivation and play poorly and not get into the side. Ajax may never get this type of money ever again.

Very risky. Lets hope he doesn't run his contract down and leave for free.

Boondog

Honestly we should leave. It sets a bad precedent to be fleeced like that. We did good walking away from Rabiot and Arnautovic, now is the time to leave this behind, too as much as I would want him. We're already offering stupid money and if they don't want to accept this, then whatever - surely there are targets out there that can do a better job than what we have for way less money.
Time matters here. Do we want to wait for next year for this team to start climbing the ladder, or pay a little more and get the key piece the new manager wants. If Antony comes here and stars for us who cares if you have to endure the laughs of the unwashed masses on twitter in the early going. What does that matter compared to having the right player added to this team and under contract with us for the next 5 years as a cornerstone piece.

All that aside I do think Ajax is determined to submarine this deal. So I expect we walk now.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
What happens if United walk away like they did with Rabiot?

No one is offering that kind of money and they have unsettled player that wants a move.
How is Ajax winning in that scenario?
They have a huge pile of money in the bank and keep a player they want to keep. It's about the team. They sell to cover running costs but they also want to compete.

RuudTom83

Up and up and up!

United should tell ETH every target has a value and Antony is now so overpriced it sets a terrible precedent going forward.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The club did too. Length of contract protects the club just as much. Why were you lot so desperate to tie Salah down? Certainly not for his financial security!
Why? How? If he flops, they're stuck with a player who has 3 years on his deal left. Would people have any sympathy for Ajax then when they are trying to offload him? How would you feel about Antony if he refused to leave them?

We were desperate to extend Salah because we want him playing for our club for another few years. Just like Ajax want Antony to play for their club again this season.

RORY65

Why would they feel the need to compensate him if there was no agreement?
So they agreed to sell him and then offered him a new contract? Isn't it more likely they knew he wanted out and offered him a new deal to appease him? Wayne Rooney wanted to leave us twice and got big new contracts both times, had we agreed that he could leave?

OrcaFat

I mean either they keep one of their best players or they get an even more overly inflated fee to compensate for losing him this late, 2 pretty good results for them I would suggest.
When do they stop saying no? The later they leave it the worse it is for them.

If they refuse all offers they have a very unhappy player who will certainly not shut up about it and, sad to say, his performance will suffer, if he plays. Recruitment of similar new talent will be much more difficult for them.

2 pretty bad results for them, I would suggest.

Drainy

A player who loves his current club might indeed re-new because he knows the club can sell him for more money the next year or the year after that, but that's not at all how it is with this Antony situation.
Even if he weren't grateful for the opportunity to move to Europe, Sao Paulo would be shafted by him having a 'reasonable' release clause given that they get 25% of the profit

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The fact that Ajax have rejected that bid, and want a replacement for him shows that the club us operating on a far different level now. It would be easy to say, play Berghuis/Ihattaren on the right as replacements, let's have the money. But the club is no longer led by money. Good for Ajax.

TheReligion

Abusive
very entitled. If you planned to be there 2 years why sign a 5-year contract? Did Harry Kane get his move? nope and just got on with it. United fans hella entitled right now. Antony can make all the claims he wants but these are just his claims. He is just a mere employee

None of these are comparable. He is a sports employee paid MILLIONS to do the job he loves so does the clubs needs not also matter? how much time do they even have to find a replacement? He has only fulfilled 2 of a 5 year contract. It is insane to assume he has the right to just up and leave because United fans want him. He does not make decisions for Ajax as they are bigger than him
You sign for 5 to give Ajax value? He essentially kept to his side of it and now they are refusing to budge on a well over value bid for him ignoring the agreement.

marcus agrippa

Haaland also wanted a release clause when Man Utd were trying to purchase him and from all reports seems to have a couple in his Man City contract too.

Some of you have your heads in the clouds to think that a teen South American who isn't a Neymar like talent will turn their nose up at going to Ajax in the future, undoubtedly one of the best clubs in Europe to be a young player.

It's also incredibly churlish to think long contracts only protect clubs. Yeah it's great for Ajax that Anthony fulfilled his potential. What if he didn't, as so many don't? He'd be sitting pretty, on a salary far higher than any he'd get in Brazil and going nowhere most likely unless another club offered a similar salary or Ajax agreed to subsidise his salary.

It goes both ways.
Two points:

1. A release clause serves different purposes. Messi had a release clause, as did Neymar, etc. Doesn't mean anyone could realistic afford them (unless you're PSG). You don't know what Haaland's release clause would've been at United had we signed, him, but I reckon it would've been in the range of where it's at at City (somewhere in the 200 million range). For context, his release clause at Dortmund was 65 million pounds or so, far more attainable, and therefore basically an insurance policy that he could get out for the right price.

2. Where have I said long contracts only protect the clubs? A contract is an agreement between two or more parties. Common sense suggests that the parties in it are in it for themselves. So clearly both club and player, and any third parties, benefit.

OrcaFat

We should just walk away. Antony will be unhappy at Ajax and hopefully kick up a fuss in the dressing room and refuse to try his best. Ajax will suffer for this and we will get him for cheaper next year when his stock has fallen. Feck them.
Yeah, I’m coming round to this.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
They have a player who has effectively went on strike.
Yeah and he’s now missed two games. And he’s really unhappy - and we know how unhappy players always perform at their peak when forced to stay. And they’ve turned down a fee they will never get again (unless we go back in…) And he’ll only have two years on his deal next year so his value will plummet - maybe even half if he has a poor unhappy season. And they’ve just made any young South American very wary of joining them without a release clause. And there’s a huge media storm overshadowing anything else Ajax. If this was a United player people would declare it a shit show from the club -but Ajax - they’re playing it oh so well.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He could also be unhappy until the world cup, lose his motivation and play poorly and not get into the side. Ajax may never get this type of money ever again.

Very risky. Lets hope he doesn't run his contract down and leave for free.
That could be the case yes, but that is the gamble they make. But again, Ajax is very rich, they can make that gamble.
Besides Antony would ruin his career staying 3 more years and not playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.