Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This is one signing I’d love us to make. A natural right winger, he’s rapid aswell. Him on one wing with sancho on the other will cause defenders a lot of problems. What’s he like in the final third though? Is he an unselfish player?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This is one signing I’d love us to make. A natural right winger, he’s rapid aswell. Him on one wing with sancho on the other will cause defenders a lot of problems. What’s he like in the final third though? Is he an unselfish player?
A signing you'd love us to make but don't know what he's like in the final third?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nani was also loaned out to Sporting CP at the age of 27. At that age most players are at the peak of their careers but we couldn't get him out of the club quick enough.

Players like Perisic have turned into better players than Nani and are still playing at the highest level at the same age.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Nani was also loaned out to Sporting CP at the age of 27. At that age most players are at the peak of their careers but we couldn't get him out of the club quick enough.

Players like Perisic have turned into better players than Nani and are still playing at the highest level at the same age.
We got rid of a lot of players that could have stayed for at least a couple years. Welbeck, Zaha, Rafael, Nani, Hernandez, Fletcher and Evra were sold.

We signed Falcao, Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger , Darmian and Rojo during those years...

Tavern in the town

We got rid of a lot of players that could have stayed for at least a couple years. Welbeck, Zaha, Rafael, Nani, Hernandez, Fletcher and Evra were sold.

We signed Falcao, Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger , Darmian and Rojo during those years...
The real crime was binning Evans. Has been absolutely excellent for Leicester and better than Maguire for years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I agree we got rid of a lot of player that maybe could've been kept for a few more seasons.

But my point is that there wasn't much tears shed when Nani departed on loan at 27 and there also wasn't much interest from any big club for him. He eventually ended up in Turkey and then became a journey man footballer who was spending a year here and a year there. If the club think Antony can't at the very least have a bigger impact at United than Nani, then he shouldn't be signed.

red thru&thru

I think if we get him, Sancho will be used centrally.

People are massively underestimating the importance of Rashford next season, and him having a good season is absolutely crucial to us having a good season, as he’s the only senior wide player who can be relied upon for both output and also having rapid speed to stretch opponents.

Rashford in any sort of decent form has to be a lock on the left for me. I think that causes Sancho to put pressure on Bruno, as well as competing with Antony on the right if signed.
I've never seen Sancho play centerally. Where as I have seen Rashford play up front.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I agree we got rid of a lot of player that maybe could've been kept for a few more seasons.

But my point is that there wasn't much tears shed when Nani departed on loan at 27 and there also wasn't much interest from any big club for him. He eventually ended up in Turkey and then became a journey man footballer who was spending a year here and a year there. If the club think Antony can't at the very least have a bigger impact at United than Nani, then he shouldn't be signed.
Yeah that's fair, I don't think being compared with Nani should be a negative though. When most do that I think we're all thinking of the Nani during 2010 and 2011 which was a very fantastic player.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
People just need to remember not to get carried away by the YouTube highlights. Instead, I recommend watching his all touches Vs teams videos, you get a better feel for his performances that way. I firmly believe of the two, Rafinha would be the more productive player for us over the next 2 years as he's already EPL adjusted and more refined in his play even if less flashy. That being said, I think Antony has the higher ceiling of the two. If he gets to the point where the game slows down for him, He'll be an absolute monster. But that's a big If. If ETH trusts and wants him then I'm all for it

Would be great to finally have a true right sided forward without ambiguity about his best position. I like his quickness and speed (can stretch the field much better than Sancho) . He's also instinctively unpredictable.

Ronaldo, Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Elanga and youth players should be enough to get us through the season.

El Jefe

Again this is a post with zero context. Nani was struggling with injuries and on massive wages. Without that he definitely would've stayed a United player but the niggles affected him for a few years and ultimately he lost his pace in what would have been his peak years.

As another poster said, if Antony can be what Nani was from 2010-2012 I can't think of a United fan that wouldn't take that. Nani before the injury problems was a top footballer.

miked99

I think Nani had a lot more about him. Even prior to his arrival there were highlights of ridiculous skills and outrageous goals.

Think people are only pointing to Nani because both players like a bit of showboating.
Nani at his best was absolutely sensational. When Ronaldo left, it wasn't seen as a total disaster as Nani was so good. I know nothing of this guy, but if he's got Nani's level of talent then we should jump at the chance.

He could've been world-class, but his decision making was bafflingly terrible. Probably the most frustrating player I've ever seen at United. I say bafflingly because you'd think decision making would be something that could be learned and improved on, but it never happened. He never quite reached the heights he threatened to, and fell away badly in his last couple of years here to the point where he couldn't do anything right. It was sad to see. But he gave some fantastic moments and he's a player I remember fondly.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Again this is a post with zero context. Nani was struggling with injuries and on massive wages. Without that he definitely would've stayed a United player but the niggles affected him for a few years and ultimately he lost his pace in what would have been his peak years.

As another poster said, if Antony can be what Nani was from 2010-2012 I can't think of a United fan that wouldn't take that. Nani before the injury problems was a top footballer.
That's why I said to you that with the exception of a few seasons (2010-12) Nani was underwhelming.

Robben was a winger who suffered badly with injuries, but Bayern managed his injuries and the class shone through. Bayern also signed a certain Franck Ribery during the same summer we signed Nani and they both cost a similar amount. And Ribery turned into a far superior player. And for me that's the level of player we need to identify.

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure about Antony succeeding because you can never be 100% sure. But for me Antony is naturally more talented than Nani at the same age.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
A signing you'd love us to make but don't know what he's like in the final third?
Ye I don’t watch Ajax much or his games but I’ve seen his talent though YouTube videos and highlights and looks a decent player that could become world class.

Remember the geese

I'm far from an expert on Antony, as I have only seen a handful of Ajax matches this season. From what I have seen, I don't consider him to be as talented as Nani was. Nani was more two footed and possessed a powerful shot from range. Antony is quick, but I'd even give Nani the slight edge there too. Despite all this, I do consider Antony a good player. Hopefully he can prove to be more than that in time, should we sign him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Antony is fantastic in this regard.
The idea that he has a poor attitude is based purely on his antics on the pitch, but on the pitch he also has a very high workrate and puts in a defensive shift. He puts a lot of full intensity sprints into pressing and tracking back.

In regards to his off the pitch (or at least outside of match) attitude, this interview after his first half season at the club (which I've posted here before) was very revealing:

And he's had other interviews since then with similar dedication and self-reflection shining through
The above post from Ajaxsuarez also points towards a player with the correct mentality to help the team without the ball and his desire to improve as a player.

Edit: The quoted piece is missing, so go to the post I've quoted to see the post in its entirety.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The assist around 20 secs was oh so naughty :drool:
The tricks are fun to watch but also feck with defender's heads. One of our biggest problems the last few seasons is the lack of quick passing and movement - defenders could just stand there because we only had one trick and that was to wait until a magical ten foot gap opened up.

Sign him up, piss off opposition fans. Done.

Blood Mage

I think Raphinha is a better player but he's probably heading to Barca so Antony would be the next best thing for our right flank.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I'm far from an expert on Antony, as I have only seen a handful of Ajax matches this season. From what I have seen, I don't consider him to be as talented as Nani was. Nani was more two footed and possessed a powerful shot from range. Antony is quick, but I'd even give Nani the slight edge there too. Despite all this, I do consider Antony a good player. Hopefully he can prove to be more than that in time, should we sign him.
Nani had that FIFA style tactical dribble too, where he could slow down to a stand still then beat a player. Also, can't forget the delicate chip, off both feet!

Bojan Djordjic

The tricks are fun to watch but also feck with defender's heads. One of our biggest problems the last few seasons is the lack of quick passing and movement - defenders could just stand there because we only had one trick and that was to wait until a magical ten foot gap opened up.

Also, I feel opposition defenders have been very happy to leave their left sides undermanned in recent years because of our general toothlessness on our right flank. Having someone who can easily make an idiot out of you will stretch opposition defences and create space for our danger men like Sancho and Bruno that usually meet compact defences on their side of the pitch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Also, I feel opposition defenders have been very happy to leave their left sides undermanned in recent years because of our general toothlessness on our right flank. Having someone who can easily make an idiot out of you will stretch opposition defences and create space for our danger men like Sancho and Bruno that usually meet compact defences on their side of the pitch.
yep we’ve lacked the threat of somebody who will go outside.

Is it a coincidence that our form tailed off badly when greenwood was no longer about? maybe

Bojan Djordjic

yep we’ve lacked the threat of somebody who will go outside.

Is it a coincidence that our form tailed off badly when greenwood was no longer about? maybe
Greenwood was far from a natural right wing either and struggled to beat a man or progress the ball forward. His main strength was his shooting but even that was a hindrance at times because with himself, Rashford and Bruno and obviously Ronaldo, their first instinct is to hanger a shot in rather than create.

AttackAttackAttack

I was about to come on here to say for the quoted price I’d rather give Diallo a shot and owning the right wing and spend the money else where. However, after seeing that video,sign him up! I love a winger with tricks; Old Trafford has been missing that for years. We crave entertainment. I want players that make me stand up.

meamth

We have Elanga, Facu Pellistri, Amad in that position.

Getting Antony as the undisputed RW will obviously force 2 of them to go on loan. My pick would be Antony & Elanga, Amad and Facu continue their development elsewhere.

LW is secured with Rashford and Sancho to fight it out, Garnacho as backup.

Really liking what I see about Antony, sign him!

Waynne

From the footage I've seen of him at Ajax he's a skill full player and definitely not selfish in the final third. Always looks to beat his man and loves short passes in and around the box.
I'd love to see him and Van De Beek link up in the final third. They both seem to like quick short passes in and around the box. Could make some entertaining football with Ronaldo waiting to feed off their creativity.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
An explosive right winger with a new attacking RB would improve us so much.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Those were all under LVG? Sackable offence. Great coach at his peak but he must have depended on the DOF to make his buys before coming to United.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We have Elanga, Facu Pellistri, Amad in that position.

Getting Antony as the undisputed RW will obviously force 2 of them to go on loan. My pick would be Antony & Elanga, Amad and Facu continue their development elsewhere.

LW is secured with Rashford and Sancho to fight it out, Garnacho as backup.

Really liking what I see about Antony, sign him!
In an ideal world maybe. But in the real world, ETH has to prioritise. The RW isn't his highest priority at the moment considering the number of options we have albeit an inexperienced one or a Sancho available there. Either ke keeps one of the two kids (Amad or Facundo) inhouse and loan the other but at least then he has then Elanga, Sancho and (my choice) Amad on the RW.

I don't understand why Antony is being linked then.

Why spend your financial resources there when we lost 2 central midfielders ... 3 if you count Lingard (1/2) and Mata (1/2) and a striker?

Kramer

If we do end up signing him, we shd have very realistic expectations about what he’ll be able to do in his 1st season.

The step up from the Dutch League to Premier League is huge. The amount of time and space you get in the EPL is a lot less.

It will take time for him to make those adjustments.

Exciting player to watch. Hope it works out well.

StonedhamsterZA

I guess the only thing I can say about all these comparisons to Nani is whether we would want a young hungry Nani back at the club.

I believe the answer is yes, and even if Antony is perhaps slightly lacking in certain aspects, he will still provide something on the right that we all enjoyed when Nani was there.

meamth

In an ideal world maybe. But in the real world, ETH has to prioritise. The RW isn't his highest priority at the moment considering the number of options we have albeit an inexperienced one or a Sancho available there. Either ke keeps one of the two kids (Amad or Facundo) inhouse and loan the other but at least then he has then Elanga, Sancho and (my choice) Amad on the RW.

I don't understand why Antony is being linked then.

Why spend your financial resources there when we lost 2 central midfielders ... 3 if you count Lingard (1/2) and Mata (1/2) and a striker?
I would agree that RW isn't a priority. Antony is a good signing if we sign him, however like you mentioned, I'm also fine if we go into the season starting with Elanga.

Still think we have surplus of young wingers that should be loaned out. If we don't sign Antony I'm happy if we keep Rashford, Sancho, Elanga and Amad. Although I'm a bit unsure with Facu, as he is starting games for Uruguay.

Idxomer

I would agree that RW isn't a priority. Antony is a good signing if we sign him, however like you mentioned, I'm also fine if we go into the season starting with Elanga.

Still think we have surplus of young wingers that should be loaned out. If we don't sign Antony I'm happy if we keep Rashford, Sancho, Elanga and Amad. Although I'm a bit unsure with Facu, as he is starting games for Uruguay.
Elanga's best position isn't even right-wing and overall he's pretty limited.

We only have Pellestri and Amad whose best position is right-wing, and they have never played at this level before. I rate Amad but there's no escaping the fact he has zero experience and was nothing more than a bench option for Rangers, sometimes not even that.

redcucumber

Going into the season with Elanga as the starter for the RW spot (with one of Pellistri/Amad as his only real competition?!) would be an absolute disaster. It'd be the equivalent of sticking McTominay at DM and hoping for the best, or not bothering to replace Pogba as we've got Fred and Garner who can play CM. Getting a RW is absolutely a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.