g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Exactly my point. He hasn't been tested near enough.
So wait for him to be objectively proven beyond all reasonable doubt and pay £120m for him then. Because that is how it works in football. You either buy Haaland when he has bullied the Austrian League only, or you buy him once he has bullied PSG.

Mainoldo

£20m United tax. I think £55m should hopefully do it and I’m all for this player. He’s perfect for what our club should represent.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
4 yellow cards in 33 games this season. He's hardly the new Nigel De Jong or something
He could have been off in some other games though for petulant little kicks and what looked like a little punch (in the away game against Feyenoord)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So wait for him to be objectively proven beyond all reasonable doubt and pay £120m for him then. Because that is how it works in football. You either buy Haaland when he has bullied the Austrian League only, or you buy him once he has bullied PSG.
Antony isn't bullying anything. He's not the Haaland of the Dutch league, what the heck are you on about?

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Raphina was dropped for a while under BIelsa and which teams did Antony actually play against that had some sort of relevant barometer of say, top 8 PL sides?
Dortmund I guess?

That's the away game, but I think he was better in the home game.

There's a reason why in the first games against Sporting and Dortmund both sides subbed their leftbacks out at halftime

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People saying £30m are optimistic. Ajax don't want to sell Antony or Timber this summer. Not part of their plan. If we want them, we will have to overpay.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Dortmund I guess?

There's a reason why in the first games against Sporting and Dortmund both sides subbed their leftbacks out at halftime
We're going in circles. Dortmund themselves have had terrible thumpings in Bundasliga under Rose's open system which will suit players like Antony.

But even if we grant he did superb against them and they are a difficult side to play against, its literally a couple of games. He is in no way proven to punt a big fee on him, not near as close. He's not exactly ripping it up in the league if you look at his end product either.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Antony isn't bullying anything. He's not the Haaland of the Dutch league, what the heck are you on about?
Antony has shown the talent. You seem to keep demanding that talent is proven at the very highest level first before you are convinced. In the market teams speculate based on potential, either that or they just sit back and deal in £100m players exclusively. What the heck I’m on about isn’t that strange.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Antony has shown the talent. You seem to keep demanding that talent is proven at the very highest level first before you are convinced. In the market teams speculate based on potential, either that or they just sit back and deal in £100m players exclusively. What the heck I’m on about isn’t that strange.
No, I don't. I am saying a player that is near totally unproven outside the dutch league is not worth 70m, unless he's putting in Mbappe/Haaland esque performances. Which spoiler alert, he isn't. Or of course unless he's putting in ridiculous numbers of goals and assists. Another spoiler alert, he isnt'.

OmarUnited4ever

Ajax managed to sell De Jong for £75M and De Ligt for £67M, both were 22 & 20 years old at the time they were sold.

So, I will not be surprised if Ajax ask for £70M for Antony, who is only 22yo, a key player for Ajax, and a full international with Brazil.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Ajax managed to sell De Jong for £75M and De Ligt for £67M, both were 22 & 20 years old at the time they were sold.

So, I will not be surprised if Ajax ask for £70M for Antony, who is only 22yo, a key player for Ajax, and a full international with Brazil.
Agreed. Ajax don't want to sell him and don't really need the money, so they'll ask a lot of money for him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Ajax are smoking crack if that's the valuation :lol:

30-50m would be more than fair
We won’t sign him this summer then. I read the news 2-3 weeks ago about Barcelona wanted Raphinha and gave up on Antony because Raphinha would be cheaper. Feck me, so this is what it meant.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm calling it now before anyone else. The Brazilian Daniel James.

Andrew7582

£70-90 million??? Jesus. I thought he would cost like £35-40 million at most. We will have to look elsewhere then.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
£70m, United tax :lol:
I don't think he's a de Jong or de Ligt level prospect who commanded the massive fees. Big prospect but for that much?? Nah. Something like £45m would be more realistic I think and would still be a huge fee for them.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That's fine. Then the recruitment team who should care can look elsewhere and Ajax can keep Antony. Everyone moves on with their lives.
United isn't the only club interested it seems, but yes, Ajax would happily keep him for an additional season. Unless someone offers a fee they deem worth his value.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No, I don't. I am saying a player that is near totally unproven outside the dutch league is not worth 70m, unless he's putting in Mbappe/Haaland esque performances. Which spoiler alert, he isn't. Or of course unless he's putting in ridiculous numbers of goals and assists. Another spoiler alert, he isnt'.
I doubt he will cost 70m at all.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No way Ajax will let him go for anything less than 45-50 million. Hope United dont buy him either way. I like United and he's a Neymar level diving cnut.

BarstoolProphet

Some are saying hes the left footed Nani and some nut jobs are saying they don't want him!?

Think people forget how incredibly frustrating Nani was most of the times. Of course, those that came after him have put him in a better light, but we need to aim higher. Especially as we don't have that young Ronaldo to cover for the others.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Raphina was dropped for a while under BIelsa and which teams did Antony actually play against that had some sort of relevant barometer of say, top 8 PL sides?
Don't think that is the meter of the Brazilian NT, Antony is very much of the same level.

Dortmund, Sporting, PSV most likely. But this is a bit nonsensical anyway. You don't just play against the top 8 teams. Almost none of our current players, play consistently well against the top 8 teams. Not even Bruno. Sell the whole team.

It is far wiser to look at your system, what qualities you need, how they link with eachother, the current level of players and their qualities and what they could grow to. I hope the club is more concerned with that than just measuring goals + assists and tracking literally every single team he has played.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Don't think that is the meter of the Brazilian NT, Antony is very much of the same level.

Dortmund, Sporting, PSV most likely. But this is a bit nonsensical anyway. You don't just play against the top 8 teams. Almost none of our current players, play consistently well against the top 8 teams. Not even Bruno. Sell the whole team.

It is far wiser to look at your system, what qualities you need, how they link with eachother, the current level of players and their qualities and what they could grow to. I hope the club is more concerned with that than just measuring goals + assists and tracking literally every single team he has played.
National squads will pick in form players often, and when Raphina hasn't played its tough for him to be considered.

Its not about tracking every single team, rather it is about seeing if there is a big enough sample size to consider a player's worth. He is nowhere near established enough to command near 70m. Half that and it's still some sort of risk, but palatable.

Kaos

Call me a party pooper, but I feel like it would be a tad bit disrespectful for us to take Ajax's manager, and then raid their squad for their best talents. I know thats how it goes in football, but still feels a little wrong. Hence I wouldn't blame them slapping a big price tag on him.

I'd take Timber though :D

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Only 2 outcomes possible

1. We buy him this summer and he flops and turns into daniel james

2. Madrid et al snatch him and he turns into a world beater

We are doomed it seems :(

bosskeano

Dortmund I guess?

very impressive highlights and he's been briliant for Ajax. Hate to say it but we badly miss Mason on the right with his ability to use his left by cutting inside and having the change/flexibility in the formation

We need another left footed player in the squad and in the attack.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Think people forget how incredibly frustrating Nani was most of the times. Of course, those that came after him have put him in a better light, but we need to aim higher. Especially as we don't have that young Ronaldo to cover for the others.
I think my post needed more ???!?! for sarcasm effect :D

What you say is absolutely spot on. I always stumble with tik tok videos of a berbatov highlight for example and all the comments are: he was so underrated, what a technique he had and the likes and im like "man don't you remember how frustrating he was most of the time?"

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Nani had half a good game, if we were lucky, most of the time.

BarstoolProphet

I think my post needed more ???!?! for sarcasm effect :D

What you say is absolutely spot on. I always stumble with tik tok videos of a berbatov highlight for example and all the comments are: he was so underrated, what a technique he had and the likes and im like "man don't you remember how frustrating he was most of the time?"

You are preaching to perhaps the biggest Berbatov fan around :D

But I agree, time tend to enhance the reputation of those that were just ok/good ÷. Especially since the years post-SAF have lowered the bar significantly on what United fans see as acceptable output. Both Nani and Berbatov were very talented but just ok players for us (don't forget Tevez who was truly bad for us in his second season) but they were dragged along by a GOAT player and a potential GOAT player (Rooney) and a well-functioning team due to SAF.

BarstoolProphet

Nani had half a good game, if we were lucky, most of the time.

Agree. I will never forget the amount of abuse Nani got from the stands back then - never seen it since (Fellaini closest). He was the sort of player who made you go from Valderrama to ten Hag in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.