Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

United in sin

Haha OK. It's amazing how short a memory people have. Selective memory maybe. Sancho's transfer saga went on for two seasons and he was always seen as the solution to the right wing conundrum. Solskjaer at one point even tried to convert him to a right wing back role. Sancho played more at RW under Solskjaer than he did at LW. Greenwood was undroppable but played RW, this is what hindered Sancho's deployment in that role

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Haha OK. It's amazing how short a memory people have. Selective memory maybe. Sancho's transfer saga went on for two seasons and he was always seen as the solution to the right wing conundrum. Solskjaer at one point even tried to convert him to a right wing back role. Sancho played more at RW under Solskjaer than he did at LW
Pretty sure he spent more time on the bench, and eventually started getting played at LW before Ole was fired (because the player seems to prefer it)

United in sin

Pretty sure he spent more time on the bench, and eventually started getting played at LW before Ole was fired (because the player seems to prefer it)
Greenwoods form is what kept Sancho away from the RW role and Solskjaer struggled to integrate him

Cassidy

Greenwoods form is what kept Sancho away from the RW role and Solskjaer struggled to integrate him
Indeed and its again all over the press again that RW is a priority this summer

Idxomer

Haha OK. It's amazing how short a memory people have. Selective memory maybe. Sancho's transfer saga went on for two seasons and he was always seen as the solution to the right wing conundrum. Solskjaer at one point even tried to convert him to a right wing back role. Sancho played more at RW under Solskjaer than he did at LW. Greenwood was undroppable but played RW, this is what hindered Sancho's deployment in that role
For people who just looked at his stats without seeing what type of player he was at Dortmund.

United in sin

Indeed and its again all over the press again that RW is a priority this summer
Is it? Can you share any links? I thought the Antony rumors are based on lazy journalism seeing as he's a star player at Ajax and Ten Hag might be at the helm next season

reddevilz007

Rashford, Elanga, Garnacho. Rashford's work rate takes the piss at the moment, but in fairness to him Rangnick keeps on playing him on the right where he can't hack it. Would be a good time to see how Rashford on the left and Sancho on the right plays like again before deciding what to do in the summer.
Because Rashford doesnt play in his favored position, he stops working? If thats the case, thats poor professionalism, crybaby attitude.

United in sin

For people who just looked at his stats without seeing what type of player he was at Dortmund.
Not disagreeing. He's not the traditional explosive type of winger most united supporters thought he'd be. More a dynamic hybrid wide playmaker type

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We need to play players where they're strongest.

Greenwood, Lingard, Cavani and possibly Ronaldo and Martial are gone this summer. Elanga and possibly Amad should have squad roles next season. Rashford at the moment is a shadow of the player he once was and should be seen as a squad player rather than a starter until he can prove himself again.

Sancho on the left, Antony or Raphinha on the right (think Raphinha is headed to Liverpool, personally) and another player as striker should be the route forward.

luke511

Because Rashford doesnt play in his favored position, he stops working? If thats the case, thats poor professionalism, crybaby attitude.
100%. I think he should be sold in the summer for a number of reasons, his work rate on the pitch being the main, but may as well have one last shot at seeing if he's permanently shit or not on the left wing before selling him. At the same time, you can get a good assessment on Sancho on the right, whether he can actually do the job in the position we originally planned for him.

Cassidy

Is it? Can you share any links? I thought the Antony rumors are based on lazy journalism seeing as he's a star player at Ajax and Ten Hag might be at the helm next season
No its been in the press for months. Striker, RW and DMC

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Quite a sad post, your opinion though.

I love it, wish he never stops. A joy to watch, and the Brazil manager might seem to even prefer him over Raphinha.
You think he is that good? Interesting! The showboating aside, I really think he is so sloppy whenever I see him play. Would love him to be our solution. Left footed RW, brazilian with flair and pace. But I really struggle with how sloppy he is.

United in sin

We need to play players where they're strongest.

Greenwood, Lingard, Cavani and possibly Ronaldo and Martial are gone this summer. Elanga and possibly Amad should have squad roles next season. Rashford at the moment is a shadow of the player he once was and should be seen as a squad player rather than a starter until he can prove himself again.

Sancho on the left, Antony or Raphinha on the right (think Raphinha is headed to Liverpool, personally) and another player as striker should be the route forward.
When United rejected Leeds reported 20M bid for Daniel James and went ahead and signed Raphina from Rennes for 17M I couldn't believe it. How does this club lack such foresight? I think Raphina will either sign for Barcelona or Liverpool. More likely Barca

gorky_utd

When United rejected Leeds reported 20M bid for Daniel James and went ahead and signed Raphina from Rennes for 17M I couldn't believe it. How does this club lack such foresight? I think Raphina will either sign for Barcelona or Liverpool. More likely Barca
I think the scouting department needs a refresh.

United in sin

No its been in the press for months. Striker, RW and DMC
You've mentioned that, I merely asked for a few links concerning the RW position being brought up as a priority. I'm aware about the striker and DM positions as they've been discussed at lengths on this forum and others online. Those are obvious positions and I have indeed read many articles linking us to various players in these roles

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I like him, but also intrigued by Adeyemi. Hadn’t considered him before due to Dortmund/Barca talk - but appears they can’t rub two pennies together and he is still available. He’d be a real goal threat from the right, which I think we need.

marktan

Never watched him, if our scouts recommend him he must be shite

MUFC OK

From what I’ve seen he’s similar to sancho, great at close quarters but doesn’t have that burst of pace and has scored nearly all his goals cutting in from the right. I don’t think he’d be up to it personally and hope we avoid.

Gakpo would be much better in the PL but he plays on the LW.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You think he is that good? Interesting! The showboating aside, I really think he is so sloppy whenever I see him play. Would love him to be our solution. Left footed RW, brazilian with flair and pace. But I really struggle with how sloppy he is.
Havent thought of him as sloppy at all. He probably is, but he is playing in a position where he needs to make stuff happen. Ajax don't pointlessly keep the ball.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Havent thought of him as sloppy at all. He probably is, but he is playing in a position where he needs to make stuff happen. Ajax don't pointlessly keep the ball.
yeah same, i never thought of him as sloppy, not even a player who losses the ball dribbling a lot.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He's far, far less sloppy than Raphinha, especially with his passing.

Antony:

Raphinha:

It's worth noting that Antony's numbers are even more impressive than they look, because fbref doesn't include stats for non-top 5 leagues - so those numbers are just from his Champions League performances.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
From what I’ve seen he’s similar to sancho, great at close quarters but doesn’t have that burst of pace and has scored nearly all his goals cutting in from the right. I don’t think he’d be up to it personally and hope we avoid.

Gakpo would be much better in the PL but he plays on the LW.
He is very fast.

CallyRed

I can't help but say his name in the voice of Caroline Aherne's character in The Royale Family

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He's far, far less sloppy than Raphinha, especially with his passing.

Antony:

Raphinha:

It's worth noting that Antony's numbers are even more impressive than they look, because fbref doesn't include stats for non-top 5 leagues - so those numbers are just from his Champions League performances.
Do they have pressing numbers on there? Be interested in knowing how hard he works.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Do they have pressing numbers on there? Be interested in knowing how hard he works.
Hmm, they did yesterday, but the scouting report section of fbref has disappeared for me suddenly... Not sure why, hopefully they're not putting it behind a paywall or something, it's nice for stats.

Did a comparison to a few of our players on squawka instead. He definitely seems to work hard enough. His defensive stats look a lot more like Bruno and Elanga rather than Sancho or Ronaldo.

sifi36

Hmm, they did yesterday, but the scouting report section of fbref has disappeared for me suddenly... Not sure why, hopefully they're not putting it behind a paywall or something, it's nice for stats.

Did a comparison to a few of our players on squawka instead. He definitely seems to work hard enough. His defensive stats look a lot more like Bruno and Elanga rather than Sancho or Ronaldo.
When you normalise for average possession, Antony’s numbers are way more impressive. Ajax average almost 70% possession compared to us at just over 50%. As a result he has fewer opportunities to make a tackle, pressure or interception, because his team has more of the ball. I wish there were publicly available possession normalised defensive numbers out there, it would make our players look even more like the thieves stealing a living (calling 150k a week on average a living feels vomit inducing but that’s by the by) than they already do.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Cheers. That’s very encouraging! My only slight issue from what I’ve seen on the every touch videos is how insanely one footed he is. He’s going to have to at least occasionally go down the line in the PL or he could get a touch predictable ala Greenwood who seemed to forget he had a great right foot at the end. Looks a great prospect though and has a wand of a left foot - great delivery on him.

SAF is the GOAT

Cheers. That’s very encouraging! My only slight issue from what I’ve seen on the every touch videos is how insanely one footed he is. He’s going to have to at least occasionally go down the line in the PL or he could get a touch predictable ala Greenwood who seemed to forget he had a great right foot at the end. Looks a great prospect though and has a wand of a left foot - great delivery on him.
But at least Antony has a great dribble in 1v1 situations comparing to Mason and he doesn't afraid to run into the box from right wing and cross the ball to the striker or whoever is there

Status
Not open for further replies.