Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Cheers. That’s very encouraging! My only slight issue from what I’ve seen on the every touch videos is how insanely one footed he is. He’s going to have to at least occasionally go down the line in the PL or he could get a touch predictable ala Greenwood who seemed to forget he had a great right foot at the end. Looks a great prospect though and has a wand of a left foot - great delivery on him.
He does actually go around the outside more often than you'd think, just using his left foot always, so he'll go around the outside and then dribble

Looks a very good player, attitude is questionable.
Depends on what you mean by attitude? His professionalism is top-class and I can provide some interviews that describe his process in preparing for joining Ajax etc to back that up.
He also puts a proper shift in in terms of pressing and tracking back

but if by attitude you mean he's petulant on the pitch, then definitely that too.

Also any talk of him not being absolutely rapid in this thread is completely off the mark. don't remember ever seeing such a quick player at Ajax (outside of like Lukoki for a couple games), and definitely not one with his acceleration.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Seems he actually heard his ankle now. The boy who cried wolf comes to mind.

Rolaholic

Ajax are smoking crack if that's the valuation :lol:

30-50m would be more than fair

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

No way Ajax is letting him go for anything under 50 million. That is completely out of tune with reality. 70-90 million is on the higher side though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No way Ajax is letting him go for anything under 50 million. That is completely out of tune with reality. 70-90 million is on the higher side though.
Is he even that good? I don't really see much about him and that's in the Dutch league. Ziyech has been up and down since moving here and he looked tons better.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Is he even that good? I don't really see much about him and that's in the Dutch league. Ziyech has been up and down since moving here and he looked tons better.
He was one of the stars of the CL group stage, yes he is that good. Ziyech was better but also much older and less suited for the higher leagues as he is a hybrid player.

Ziyech is inbetween a right winger and attacking midfielder, whilst Anthony is a pure right winger that is extremely fast, with great dribbling, good crossing and a long-range finish. He has the potential to be one of the best right wingers, as he has the tools. Ziyech would never.

Ziyech was a quite a bit better in the Eredivisie, in Europe the difference isn't that big.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was one of the stars of the CL group stage, yes he is that good. Ziyech was better but also much older and less suited for the higher leagues as he is a hybrid player.

Ziyech is inbetween a right winger and attacking midfielder, whilst Anthony is a pure right winger that is extremely fast, with great dribbling, good crossing and a long-range finish. He has the potential to be one of the best right wingers, as he has the tools. Ziyech would never.

Ziyech was a quite a bit better in the Eredivisie, in Europe the difference isn't that big.
There isn't much to go by in CL. You haven't played the best sides in Europe with Antony really, so the sample size is very very small.

Dazzmondo

:lol: Antony is worth £30m max. Nowhere near the finished article. For that kind of money, you go for Nkunku.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
:lol: Antony is worth £30m max. Nowhere near the finished article. For that kind of money, you go for Nkunku.
That might be the right call, but it's tempting to finally have an actual left-footed attacker who is natural on the right (that isn't a wrong 'un). It seems like Nkunku would inevitably end up on the left for us, like everybody else.

Dazzmondo

That might be the right call, but it's tempting to finally have an actual left-footed attacker who is natural on the right (that isn't a wrong 'un). It seems like Nkunku would inevitably end up on the left for us, like everybody else.
I think it depends on how central we intend to play our wingers/inside forwards. Nkunku has played on the right of a front 3 a good number of times but moreso as an inside forward where he stays narrow and he has performed very well there. Raphinha is probably the one we should be targeting but there hasn't been much suggested about us going for him. Sounds like he'll be at either Barca or Bayern next season.

Dazzmondo

He’s worth £50m easily. Huge potential.
He definitely isn't. You can say huge potential but no guarantee he reaches that. I've seen enough of him to know he'll need some time to settle in. For £50m you expect an instant impact. We also need to bring in so many other players in other positions this season. We can't afford to be chucking these big transfer fees at rotation players.

EtH

He definitely isn't. You can say huge potential but no guarantee he reaches that. I've seen enough of him to know he'll need some time to settle in. For £50m you expect an instant impact. We also need to bring in so many other players in other positions this season. We can't afford to be chucking these big transfer fees at rotation players.
He would be one of the first names on the teamsheet and would offer an instant impact even if he didn’t hit the ground running as our right side has been a black hole since the Greenwood fiasco. Huge potential but already a menace down the right. No way he goes for £30m. Not a chance.

onemanarmy

Don't think he will go for less. He's a full Brazilian international too now. If he's worth it, that's another question. No way Ajax are holding out for 70-80m.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Maybe I'm wrong -

But I think it's best we go for someone like Olise instead right now.

Sancho is a creative winger on the LM. Getting a creative RM/CAM maybe helpful long term in terms of balance.

That leaves us a right and left footed creative winger for each side aka the replacement for Mata in our squad.

Then the more goalscoring winger like Rashford can take a break until they find some form + the replacement for Greenwood.

Dazzmondo

Don't think he will go for less. He's a full Brazilian international too now. If he's worth it, that's another question. No way Ajax are holding out for 70-80m.
I'd say you could stretch it close to £40m which I still think is overpaying a bit tbh. £50m+ is just ridiculous. Antony is a good talent, I would be happy with him as a signing for £30m but when you get to these higher fees we need to reconsider. We already showed last season the damage of spending all the transfer budget without addressing all the required areas. We need to learn from our mistakes. We need either starters or squad players in all of the following positions: rb, cb, dm, cm, rw, st. I seriously doubt we will get players in all of those positions in just 1 summer, so we need to try and stretch the budget as best we can and be efficient with our recruitment this season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Maybe I'm wrong -

But I think it's best we go for someone like Olise instead right now.

Sancho is a creative winger on the LM. Getting a creative RM/CAM maybe helpful long term in terms of balance.

That leaves us a right and left footed creative winger for each side aka the replacement for Mata in our squad.

Then the more goalscoring winger like Rashford can take a break until they find some form + the replacement for Greenwood.
Agree Olise or Raphinha should be our targets . Would cost 50-60m but it's worth it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Timber, Antony, and Neves mentioned, We will need a CF also. Nunez would be ideal.
I can't think of a striker less suited to a possession based system than Nunez.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
£50m would be ridiculous. He doesn't have great numbers for the Eredivisie, questions about his attitude etc.

I would like him a lot though.

SAF is the GOAT

Ajax bought him from Santos from the Brazilian league for 15m Euros(12.5m pounds) - there's no way in hell his worth that much after few years.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
You guys are all forgetting that Ajax isn't looking to sell Antony, so asking price is going to be very high and doesn't have to be realistic.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
£50m would be ridiculous. He doesn't have great numbers for the Eredivisie, questions about his attitude etc.

I would like him a lot though.
His attitude is fantastic.

See for example this interview after his first 6 months at the club:

"The people in Brazil and within Ajax said that it would be tough for me to quickly adapt. They thought that because of the specific style of Ajax I would have difficulties in the trainings and on the pitch. But in the end it has all gone pretty well. The manager, my teammates and the people around the team, ..., made me feel welcome. And within me burned the fire to as quickly as possible show the real Antony.

Because I don't agree that I have effortlessly adapted. In the Eredivisie it has so far gone okay, but I have experienced that the Champions League is truly of another level. I wasn't completely ready for that and must develop myself further for this. For this, I am doing everything I can. and if for the coming season I grow to thát level, I will be able to make the most of that in the Eredivisie.

That he nevertheless has already delivered a goal or assist every 61 minutes, is partly the result of Antony's unbounded drive to prove himself. "From the moment that Ajax came, I started preparing in Brazil for my Arrival in the Netherlands. I followed all the matches on TV and very specifically watched the attackers. What did Hakim Ziyech and David Neres do at what moments? Why did they make those decisions? What was the result? And - very importantly for an attacking Brazilian - what did they do when possession was lost?"

But that wasn't all. "On the internet I also watched back old matches. In the half year that I'm now here, the coach has put a lot of emphasis on the transition. But I think that because of my studying at home I was mentally already further than he had expected. I feel that - regardless of whether a large fee was paid - you have the duty as new player to do everything to be of value immediately."
His attitude is "bad" in that he's a complete pest on the pitch

Ajax bought him from Santos from the Brazilian league for 15m Euros(12.5m pounds) - there's no way in hell his worth that much after few years.
Again, he's been 10x the player that his reputation suggested he should have been when we got him from Brazil.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
There isn't much to go by in CL. You haven't played the best sides in Europe with Antony really, so the sample size is very very small.
Okay then look at his national side where he is starting to cement a place even over Leeds' Raphinha.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Just because United has a lot of holes, doesnt make his value less. Ajax doesnt care that United has multiple positions to fill.

Tarrou

I don't think we'll sign him if he's £50m+

too many other issues in the squad that need fixing

L1nk

If Ten Hag wants him and we decide to go for a RW would absolutely be on board with this signing, someone with some actual energy and desire for a start

EtH

If Ten Hag wants him and we decide to go for a RW would absolutely be on board with this signing, someone with some actual energy and desire for a start
Exactly. Never mind skill and trickery. Imagine having that on both wings again for the first time in an age !

Add Mazraoui on a free and we would be in really good shape in the wide positions.

Dazzmondo

Just because United has a lot of holes, doesnt make his value less. Ajax doesnt care that United has multiple positions to fill.
That's fine. Then the recruitment team who should care can look elsewhere and Ajax can keep Antony. Everyone moves on with their lives.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
70-90m is just the opening gambit, £50m would be fair for the market. So I imagine he'll go for around £60m if he does go.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Okay then look at his national side where he is starting to cement a place even over Leeds' Raphinha.
Raphina was dropped for a while under BIelsa and which teams did Antony actually play against that had some sort of relevant barometer of say, top 8 PL sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.