Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
People are getting too strung on the numbers. Antony isn’t really an inside forward masquerading as a winger like most wide players in football these days.

Red Rash

Any total more than £35 mil is beyond madness. He has huge potential though.
I struggle to see how we would get him for that price. With the current market prices, the fact that Ajax know we are desperate and the United tax I think we would need to pay around 50 to 60 million euros (upfront plus add ons) to really stand a chance.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No point leaking interest in other targets when Ajax don't want to sell, which is the most likely situation here. I think this is a transfer for next summer. Can't see them letting him go this summer, even if he puts up a big fuss.
Surely if he wants to leave which I think he does then Ajax won’t want to keep an unhappy player. If we put in the amount they want then they’ll sell him. It’s all about how much we’re willing to pay them. He’s already said whenever ten Hag needs him he’ll be there.

Bojan Djordjic

Because Luis Diaz looks like a £100m player while Antony had 8 goals and 4 assists in the Dutch league.

Don’t get me wrong I’d like Antony but we’d be wanting more goals and assists in a much harder league.

For comparison Diaz had 14 goals and 5 assists in half a season in Portugal.
Luis Diaz had 6 goals and 2 assists in his age 22 season for what it's worth which gives a goals and assists minus penalties of 0.41. Antony's was 0.63 last year. Players usually improve after age 22 - which I guess its difficult for us United fans to remember sometimes!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So you have no clue whatsoever and just argued for the sake of it. I certainly won’t be trusting our scouting department - I like to have my own opinion in any case.
As if you have any clue about the prices. Just shows the sorry state of our fans where they decide the price behind a keyboard because they played fifa or FM.

Anyways, I will let you continue on it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So you have no clue whatsoever and just argued for the sake of it. I certainly won’t be trusting our scouting department - I like to have my own opinion in any case.
Modric cost 35, Dembele 120, Robertson 8, Maguire 80, Van Dijk 80, Kepa 60, Coutinho 150.....see the pattern? Players (as everything) cost how much someone wants to pay them and for how much someone wants to sell them.
So Antony can be 10 and can be 100. I never understood when fans start throwing "fair" fees

city-puma

I struggle to see how we would get him for that price. With the current market prices, the fact that Ajax know we are desperate and the United tax I think we would need to pay around 50 to 60 million euros (upfront plus add ons) to really stand a chance.
My feeling is that the current market has become more reasonable based on several transfers already done. Let’s see what happens once the window officially opens.

Ted Lasso

Modric cost 35, Dembele 120, Robertson 8, Maguire 80, Van Dijk 80, Kepa 60, Coutinho 150.....see the pattern? Players (as everything) cost how much someone wants to pay them and for how much someone wants to sell them.
So Antony can be 10 and can be 100. I never understood when fans start throwing "fair" fees
From that list, Barcelona are one of the offenders for constantly overpaying and are now in a financial crisis.

I think there's also an expectation based on which league a player is moving from. What's the record for a transfer from the Eredivisie? Can't be more than €50m can it?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
From that list, Barcelona are one of the offenders for constantly overpaying and are now in a financial crisis.

I think there's also an expectation based on which league a player is moving from. What's the record for a transfer from the Eredivisie? Can't be more than €50m can it?
Its more than 50m euros

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I don’t think anyone mentioned ‘fair fees’ he’s likely not leaving this summer but if he does it will be closer to 100 than 10

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
As if you have any clue about the prices. Just shows the sorry state of our fans where they decide the price behind a keyboard because they played fifa or FM.

Anyways, I will let you continue on it.
Just because you are too dense to have an opinion doesn’t mean others don’t/can’t have one - a well educated one considering the information to hand, it’s hardly fecking rocket science

Ted Lasso

Its more than 50m euros
€75 - De Ligt & De Jong (forgot those funnily enough despite talking about Barca's bad business)

Then it's €42 for Davidson Sanchez
€37 for Zyech

So from the standpoint of the Dutch league alone I think we could put a fair price range for Antony in the 30-40 range.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
€75 - De Ligt & De Jong (forgot those funnily enough despite talking about Barca's bad business)

€37 for Zyech

So from the standpoint of the Dutch league alone I think we could put a fair price range for Antony in the 30-40 range.
I agree Antony shouldn't really be costing over 45m euros. However if Ajax do not want to sell, then…

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

€37 for Zyech

Inflation and desperation for a RW will add at least another €10-15m to that.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Raphinha is right there for 55-60m. Get him instead.
Think he wants Barca. We could probably get Antony for 55m he’s a few years younger. Not that he should cost that much but that’s what they’ll roughly want for him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just because you are too dense to have an opinion doesn’t mean others don’t/can’t have one - a well educated one considering the information to hand, it’s hardly fecking rocket science
Well educated information in hand ? What well educated information you have , proves he is worth 60 ? For a supposedly well educated person, what makes you think 40m is too low ?

Just asked that question earlier but you blanked. So asking again . Care to explain ?

Redcy

That only really works though when the club wants to sell. Ajax will seemingly only sell if the offer is too good to refuse as is their right.

From our perspective, it's probably wise to look elsewhere even if its a stop gap as at that price it's quite difficult to justify the transfer. Anyone know if Chukweuze at Villareal is still performing well? They seem to be strapped for cash and he was supposed to be very good a couple of years ago.
Chukweuze has dropped of a cliff and you would be talking 25-30m for a player doing nothing. Scored 3 goals and 3 assists in 1400 mins last year. Might as well just stick with Martial at that rate

Not quick enough. With Bruno and Ronaldo down the middle we need someone who can stretch teams and take fullbacks on. Ziyech will just muddle the middle with the other two who aren't speedy.
Ziyech would be a terrible option, there is a reason he hasn't worked.

The prices suggested are ridiculous for a player who's numbers aren't spectacular in the dutch league.

The main counter I can see is that there aren't that many quality right wing options about compared to the left (listing by market value on Transfermarkt below):
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spi...&jahrgang=0&land_id=0&kontinent_id=0&yt0=Show
That list does show the problem. The fact that pulisic is in the top 8 value wise...

The only ones available to us from the top 20 are Pino who would be a huge gamble and would cost us 40-50m, Sarr .. jesus, Asensio who has been meh for a while and would be a player coming because he has nowhere else to go, maybe Zaniolo?

Raphinha is right there for 55-60m. Get him instead.
The guy has come out and said he doesnt want to go to a PL club, and Leeds would absolutely rinse us even if he did. would cost us 60m quid, and doesn't even have the skills we want. Avoid if his head is in Barca

NYAS

The blatant disregard for Antony’s numbers in the Champions League is completely bizarre.

Why is everyone just ignoring that and focusing on his stats in the Dutch League?

I know it’s because his numbers in the CL look good, so it doesn’t fit the narrative, but to act like they just don’t exist is very weird behaviour. And it’s not one or two posters doing it, it’s pretty much the majority.

Pretending the CL doesn’t exist because you don’t like a player’s shithousery. Weirdo summer on the Caf.

Darlington Padgett

The blatant disregard for Antony’s numbers in the Champions League is completely bizarre.

Why is everyone just ignoring that and focusing on his stats in the Dutch League?

I know it’s because his numbers in the CL look good, so it doesn’t fit the narrative, but to act like they just don’t exist is very weird behaviour. And it’s not one or two posters doing it, it’s pretty much the majority.

Pretending the CL doesn’t exist because you don’t like a player’s shithousery. Weirdo summer on the Caf.
I'm not saying his goals don't count but Ajax's champions league group was almost Europa League quality.

NYAS

I'm not saying his goals don't count but Ajax's champions league group was almost Europa League quality.
It’s a CL group. The teams in that group were in the CL for a reason. I’m not sure what you’re looking for here. Are you saying we should only sign players who have scored or assisted against Real Madrid?

Also weird that people are only making this about goals. He’s not a striker. But again, I know why. It’s because his assists make the “numbers” look better. So it’s easier to just ignore them.

dasty

Not really. Borruisa Dortmund was in their group
People will genuinely make shit up here to fit their narrative. Antony has good numbers in the CL? Oh it's because his CL group is shit mate even though Dortmund and Sporting is in it. Meanwhile we barely qualified from a group with Atalanta, Villarreal and Young Boys.

Idxomer

People will genuinely make shit up here to fit their narrative. Antony has good numbers in the CL? Oh it's because his CL group is shit mate even though Dortmund and Sporting is in it. Meanwhile we barely qualified from a group with Atalanta, Villarreal and Young Boys.
A Europa Conference league group.

tjb

It really is a weirdo summer here. Everyone just wants to complain or dismiss players we may be going after. Then when another club gets the player, even for a ridiculous fee, cry about how we didn't do anything to get them.

People are crying about Antony; Nunez plays for Benfica and moved for a massive fee. Tchouemeni plays in the French league and moved for close to Pogba money. Yet us trying to sign FDJ with numbers of 69m is them fleecing us.

I'm really happy that we aren't having a mass buy window where we are signing a bunch of unknown entities like we did in 2015 and 2016 under LVG. We aren't panic buying or buying unknowns to full fan appetite for transfers. We also aren't selling high profile players due to having a bad season under poor managers.

Nicolarra90

Maybe because you can fluke a win or stats in the CL but not in a league.

The number of games is bigger so it gives a better perspective.

Also because of the motivation the CL gives to players and clubs. Big clubs are motivated to win it and so are those players, but at least half of the teams just go in a "try to do your best and have fun" vibe, since most groups are finished before they start.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

I don't get why people don't like the look of him. I think he looks really good and at 22 he'll only get better. Left footed RW too. Skillful, entertaining, works hard in defence... He's everything we've wanted for years. Now the player is finally there, and wants to sign for us, and people turn their nose up at him. I'm confident if we signed him he'd change opinions pretty quickly anyway. As long as it's a decent fee.

AjaxNL

Ajax CL group actually was of EL quality. We got 18 points, scoring 18 goals. Dortmund was total garbage at that point, we beat them 4-0 and 1-3. Antony’s Numbers are inpressive, but so are Steven Berghuis’ coming from midfield. When it mattered most, in two games against Benfica, Antony was invisible

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I don't get why people don't like the look of him. I think he looks really good and at 22 he'll only get better. Left footed RW too. Skillful, entertaining, works hard in defence... He's everything we've wanted for years. Now the player is finally there, and wants to sign for us, and people turn their nose up at him. I'm confident if we signed him he'd change opinions pretty quickly anyway. As long as it's a decent fee.
It was the same with Mane. People know feck all.

I’ve not seen that much of Antony, but been frustrated whenever I watched him by how sloppy he is. Hoewever, I really dont care if EtH wants him. First, he know the player better than «anyone». Second, he knows more about football (and the demands of his football) than most.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ajax CL group actually was of EL quality. We got 18 points, scoring 18 goals. Dortmund was total garbage at that point, we beat them 4-0 and 1-3. Antony’s Numbers are inpressive, but so are Steven Berghuis’ coming from midfield. When it mattered most, in two games against Benfica, Antony was invisible
you won't mind selling him then

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It was the same with Mane. People know feck all.

I’ve not seen that much of Antony, but been frustrated whenever I watched him by how sloppy he is. Hoewever, I really dont care if EtH wants him. First, he know the player better than «anyone». Second, he knows more about football (and the demands of his football) than most.
He may be sloppy at times, many young, flair players are. It's about seeing the potential. It's as though people forget what the likes of Ronaldo were like when they were younger. But even so, I'm pretty sure his ball retention figures stack up favourably against the alternatives people suggest.

AjaxNL

you won't mind selling him then
I would actually. I think he is a fine player for Ajax, I don’t think a potential replacement would improve us. I just don’t think he is good enough to be a star in the Prem.

Acquire Me

I would actually. I think he is a fine player for Ajax, I don’t think a potential replacement would improve us. I just don’t think he is good enough to be a star in the Prem.
I think he will be, but you have obviously seen more of him than me. Can you elaborate a bit more?

Status
Not open for further replies.