Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fixed.

I honestly believe they’re looking to sell the club by the end of the season & all this investment in players is to try & prop up the price of the club. That being said though, playing staff will do square root of feck all when stadium rebuilt or renovations & training ground investment is what is going to cost the most for any new owner. (Besides the cost of the actual club of course)
I agree.

The issue is clearly Joel Glazer whose been meddling in things he shouldn't be getting involved in. The Antony deal could've easily been done earlier in the window but it might get done now because the owners are under pressure. And I agree they will sell, but they can't allow their asset to lose value because that will weaken their position in negotiations.

Red00012

Fixed.

I honestly believe they’re looking to sell the club by the end of the season & all this investment in players is to try & prop up the price of the club. That being said though, playing staff will do square root of feck all when stadium rebuilt or renovations & training ground investment is what is going to cost the most for any new owner. (Besides the cost of the actual club of course)
If they are trying to prop up the price of the club paying nearly €100 million for a player playing in the Dutch league that’s worth half it is not the way to go about it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Raphina only cost Barca £50m, IMO Antony isn't any better, and shouldn't cost lot more than that. In fact, Raphinha does look like a better talent/player than Antony.

Red00012

Liverpool got Diaz for £37 million let that sink in. We are a shambles of a club when it comes to transfer fees

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What is your formula then for a player that looks really good in the best team in a league that is ranked seven in Europe?
I don't have a formula. But I am damn well sure no one here does either. Why did Liverpool pay £85m for Nunez?
Transfer fees for a 23 y/o are largely based on the level you think a player can achieve in your team among a host of other factors.
The same best team from a league ranked 7th in Europe have consistently been one of the better sides in Europe over the past few years, consistently beating sides from better leagues and sis very comfortable financially.
Saying arbitrarily he's not worth more than x sounds silly to me.

El Presidente

Fixed.

Well, then investing 100m in a 40m player is very stupid, isn't it. Not to mention 70m in a 30-year old who's value will drastically decline.

Mr. Ant

In the past I used to care how much we paid for players but given the Glazers are destroying this club I don't care anymore.

Yes we overpaid for Casemiro but not by much imo and sure Antony is not worth 100 mil but we have few more days until the end of transfer window and ETH needs players for his system.

If we loan Pulisic as a alternative to Antony for example the club won't buy other players for those 100 millions because the Glazers don't care.

Chris-Red

Liverpool got Diaz for £37 million let that sink in. We are a shambles of a club when it comes to transfer fees
Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it? They signed players that haven’t worked great too. There’s no guarantee players will work out.

We’re in a situation now where if we want players we really need then we have to pay extra. If we pulled out of every deal now because of this premium, this place would go insane.

Once the team gets back to some normality and we’re making yearly signings to strengthen the team, rather than out of desperation, then we can start haggling over price a bit more.

AjaxNL

This saga just got a massive boost in fuel :lol: :nervous:
Those are some insanely one sided quotes. In the same article, hé also said hé would be perfectly fine with playing another season at Ajax and that hé owes the club everything. If anything, this interview is more proof that hé won’t kick a fuss if Ajax will not sell.

Having said that, I do think this transfer is happening.

sepulturite

Agreed. Also, 100m as a transfer fee for Antony creates a elf fulfilling prophecy. 100m was spent on him so he must be good.

Is he really a 100m player or is this is a nosebleed reaction to the opening two results? If Ronaldo was 10 years younger would you be bidding 100m? I dont think so.
We're not talking about Martinez here...

fps

How did I write Nunez off?
I presumed you were writing him off because you replied to a post about Diaz being good value with what looked like a counterpoint about the price of Nunez, implication I got being he wasn’t good value.

jameyzane

Rubbish takes all over the thread as if united are the first club to pay over the odds for a player that didn't work out. Real Madrid has done it time and time again, Barcelona under Laporta, Man City and their ever revolving door of defenders. This is what the selling club wants and if United can negotiate a good fee, great. If not, pay what they ask and give the manager players who will run through brickwalls for him. Not the crappy sods we currently play upfront. If Anthony works out, great for us. If he doesn't, move on. It's not like we don't already know the recruitment team at the club is a shambles. But atleast, give the player a chance if he comes. We complain about pundits sticking the boot in on our expensive underperforming players because of their price, then the fans go on to do the same. Jesus! Just as bad as the pundits.

Zlatans Knee

35-40 Mil player at the most, anything more is ludicrous
Or what? We need top quality players, there are hardly any available, they have no desire to sell and we really want him apparently. It all adds up to premium prices

Adisa

I presumed you were writing him off because you replied to a post about Diaz being good value with what looked like a counterpoint about the price of Nunez, implication I got being he wasn’t good value.
Value can only be ascertained after performance. Diaz mught prove to be a £100m player while Nunez might prove to be a pub player or might prove to be a £200m player.
Nunez and Diaz cost vastly different amounts for a host of factors, many of which we might not be privy to.
Fergie thought he got value in Kagawa when he turnd down Hazard. Transfer fees are mostly assessed in hindsight.
With Antony, not many here have even watched him regularly. But they are adamant he isn’t worth more than x.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Raphina only cost Barca £50m, IMO Antony isn't any better, and shouldn't cost lot more than that. In fact, Raphinha does look like a better talent/player than Antony.
Depends really, as of late it seems like the NT slightly favours Antony over Raphinha. I think they are about the same level where Antony is younger and plays for a bigger club.

A transfer fee is not just a function of ability.

fallengt

I'm convinced ETH is Ajax's spy.
No fecking way someone would see Antony as 100m player.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Antony said:
What I can say is that I want to come to the right decision with my family, business partners and Ajax, which is good for everyone. In the end, God determines my future.
via [@telegraaf via @MullockSMirror]

looks like murtough is making quite the name for himself, since the casemiro deal.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Those are some insanely one sided quotes. In the same article, hé also said hé would be perfectly fine with playing another season at Ajax and that hé owes the club everything. If anything, this interview is more proof that hé won’t kick a fuss if Ajax will not sell.

Having said that, I do think this transfer is happening.
Why was he training alone, do you know?
Which God is determining his future? :D

Adisa

Would Leeds have sold Raphina to us for £50m?
Remember Chelsea bidded £60m, but the player only wanted Barca.

Idxomer

Find it funny that posters who have barely watched him or have no idea about how to value a player are adamant about what a player is worth.
I do think he's overpriced but it's almost impossible to judge a player's value as a fan before they start playing for the club.

We paid £35m for VDB and we claimed here that this was a fantastic deal but the reality after watching him play for United is that we shouldn't have paid any money for him at all, the same goes for someone like AWB on a lesser scale.

largelyworried

I find it hard to get excited, especially at this price. I've only seen him play a couple of times and he didn't stand out, and his YT highlights don't exactly scream £80m player. But I guess with Rashford showing few signs of improving his form yet, another attacking option could be important.

zenith

Please god no, not for a 100 million, even 80 sounds too much. He's an exciting player with potential but too many what ifs attached to him.

Last thing we need is for glazer to absolutely bankrupt the club.

We need a strong minded and progressive dof to put an end to this sort of nonsense

El Presidente

But he wasn't good value, that much should be obvious for everyone. At the end, he might even become better than Suarez, who knows. Yet, currently he's just a one-season guy with clear weaknesses in his game, so clearly doesn't justify the huge price tag.
Antony and Nunez are similar in the sense that, you're paying way over the top for pure potential that, either, the manager or the club sees in those players. But that comes with a lot of pressure, because they now have to be the 100 million players, which they are clearly not yet.

Red00012

Same club paid £85m for Nunez.
Let’s not go tit for tat over Liverpool v Utd in the transfer market the last few years .
im just saying Liverpool were able to get Diaz for peanuts and we keep entertaining Ajax for a player who is not worth anything close to what we are willing to pay.

jungledrums

He said it in the below interview with Mike Verweij who is a tier 1 journalist for Ajax.

Awesome, thanks. That was in the last few hours was it? On the move on my phone, so can’t check the link

Adisa

Let’s not go tit for tat over Liverpool v Utd in the transfer market the last few years .
im just saying Liverpool were able to get Diaz for peanuts and we keep entertaining Ajax for a player who is not worth anything close to what we are willing to pay.
Who would you suggest we buy fornthe RW?
And I am not going tit for tat. I am just letting you know every transfer is different.

dinostar77

Antony needs a very good right back behind him to do the overlaps so it opens up space for him to cut inside. Its a key part of his game. So not only would be need to spend €100mil on him we then need to get abgood right back in who compliments his game.

He has got the best dribbling stats in europe apparently and is a creative and dangerous player with a higher ceiling than raphinia. But €100mil ? Thats just mental.

Though if he starts in the WC in november and has a great tournament, this might be our only opportunity to buy him before bigger and more attractive fish make an offer.

fps

Value can only be ascertained after performance. Diaz mught prove to be a £100m player while Nunez might prove to be a pub player or might prove to be a £200m player.
Nunez and Diaz cost vastly different amounts for a host of factors, many of which we might not be privy to.
Fergie thought he got value in Kagawa when he turnd down Hazard. Transfer fees are mostly assessed in hindsight.
With Antony, not many here have even watched him regularly. But they are adamant he isn’t worth more than x.
Gotcha. Certainly the way things have gone the last few years the alternatives to the top players have been disasters. Fergie somehow made all his players walk ten foot tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.