Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's the thing I don't believe just adding Antony is anywhere near enough.

How many goals can we realistically expect out of Rashford, & Martial? I know Rashford had a good game vs. Liverpool, but you're talking about players that got 5 & 2 goals last season, and only one proper attacker is enough? Antony isn't exactly high scoring even in Eredivisie, and VDB & Eriksen are no attackers.
The goals under Ten Hag will be widespread. I don't think we will be concentrating it on one or two players.

Amsterdam90s

Supports
Ajax
Thanks.

Somewhat explains the high price they are demanding, as looking to mint every possible penny. However they would be cautious enough to avoid another Neres situation.
Neres was important that season when after he did not leave Ajax we beat Madrid and Juventus. All players basically doubled in value only not Neres since he was injured a lot the season after and then we bought Antony. If Antony stays and we reach the semi final again it could also turn into a situation Real Madrid buys him for 125 million. Its football and anything can happen. Right now Ajax doesnt have a player ready and Chelsea is not being asy on us.

Sweet Square

I‘m getting sick of the incessant moaning of certain pathetic individuals.

-Darwin Nunez goes to Pool for 100 mill and you moan: Why didn‘t we get him?
-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
-Antony wants to come here and you moan:
we don‘t want him.

-Frenkie de Jong is a priority target and you moan: he is not a true dm.
-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Should I go on? You Miserable fecking cnuts!?
This place makes a lot more sense when you realise a lot of people on here, have over time moved away from supporting United and turned into generic internet football fans.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Drastically different situation of course. 80m in 2008 was a world record. 80m in 08 is equivalent to what, 250m now? Its 100m for Antony, I just think that would be madness to reject from a club who doesn't get "infinite money" and will be favourites for the league anyway. Regardless of how many players you sold this window... You'll be swimming in cash to do what you want to rebuild which is needed anyway.
You need to think again if you think Ajax is doing this to win the league.

Winning the league in the Eredivisie is weird, as there are 2 teams that stand out far beyond the rest. Ajax wants to compete in Europe, and you need players like Antony for that. Whether you give them 100 million, Ajax can't find an improvement on Antony bar Ziyech potentially. All other positions except RB, and GK can barely be strengthened further. Top players don't come to the Eredivisie unless they have some history there.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Adding Antony means that now we have Sancho - Martial / Rashford - Antony. That's a pretty lively looking attacking front 3. Interchangeable too when necessary. Give them a few months and I reckon they'll be fecking ripping it up.

Regarding Rashford and Martial. Personally, I'd written both of them off to the point where I'd feel physical revulsion (not fecking literally before some pedantic tw@t tells me I shouldn't care that much) to seeing them walk out of the tunnel. Over the last few weeks however, and especially after Monday, I've found myself almost imagining both of the infuriating eejits actually coming good under TH's coaching. Such is my faith in our new bald supreme leader that I even will try and look at our perennial wasters, Rashford and Martial, through fresh eyes.
You make a good point. I too have to say that, that performance vs. Liverpool blew my mind. I didn't think for one second that they were capable of being that intense. We've been saying for years that Martial et al., if only they could run would be world beaters. If Ten Hag believes Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Antony is enough then I'm nobody to question it, you know. The only point I would say is it's a 50/60 game season, what would we do for rotation?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I‘m getting sick of the incessant moaning of certain pathetic individuals.

-Darwin Nunez goes to Pool for 100 mill and you moan: Why didn‘t we get him?
-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
-Antony wants to come here and you moan:
we don‘t want him.

-Frenkie de Jong is a priority target and you moan: he is not a true dm.
-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Should I go on? You Miserable fecking cnuts!?
Please go on, this is the funniest post I've seen for while.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You need to think again if you think Ajax is doing this to win the league.

Winning the league in the Eredivisie is weird, as there are 2 teams that stand out far beyond the rest. Ajax wants to compete in Europe, and you need players like Antony for that. Whether you give them 100 million, Ajax can't find an improvement on Antony bar Ziyech potentially. All other positions except RB, and GK can barely be strengthened further. Top players don't come to the Eredivisie unless they have some history there.
Yeah I mean fair enough for the ambition but half your team was just sold and your elite level manager has been replaced. Its a transition year. And Antony isn't staying past next season, it's pretty clear he doesn't want to be part of a "Ajax push for the CL" project which will take a few years.

ShinjiNinja26

It is almost like clubs look in their best interest and want to sell as high as possible and buy as low as possible.

Shocker.

Also just expecting to just splash 44m on a 30 year old with no re sale value that would break our transferrecord is not going to happen.

Might as well keep Antony then. Because not sure if you have noticed lately, we don't want to and don't need to sell.
Hey if you want to keep an unhappy player who’s refusing to turn up to training and could potentially unsettle the dressing room because the club are blocking his move then by all means do that. We’ll just bide our time and come back for him next summer and probably sign him for half the price.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes, but probably the worst goalscoring frontline too, according to their past year stats.
Last year's stats are not a good barometer to look at. If we're looking on absolute worst case, disaster scenario, sure. But in that scenario no amount of goals helps us and we're just banter FC again. Martial is playing his best football for ages, and the hope he stays fit. He had a 20+ goal year with Ole and a 17 goal year with Van Gaal, the 2 managers who showed the most faith in him, so the hope is he can match that at least with Ten Hag who also clearly likes him.

Rashford had back to back 20+ goal years. Sancho has regularly been a 15+ a season in all comps guy at Dortmund. Bruno is capable of 10-20 depending on if he's on pens or not. Ronaldo will rotate in there. Eriksen is good for 5-10 for sure. There's enough goals throughout the squad, it's about just getting the system good and the goals will come naturally just as they do for City.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
But if Ornstein said so then it’s happening. Someone else other than Ornstein then it;s different story.
Yes but he’s only reporting United’s feelings/opinions. Not reporting any sort of news.

Redbandito

You make a good point. I too have to say that, that performance vs. Liverpool blew my mind. I didn't think for one second that they were capable of being that intense. We've been saying for years that Martial et al., if only they could run would be world beaters. If Ten Hag believes Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Antony is enough then I'm nobody to question it, you know. The only point I would say is it's a 50/60 game season, what would we do for rotation?
Ronaldo, Elanga, and Garnacho? 7 players for 3 spots. Elanga and Garnacho are young guys that bring energy, pace and can press for short spells against weaker sides. Garnacho needs minutes to develop at the top level. He has the potential to be world class imo. Between those 3 and the top 4 options you listed, there’s enough squad depth to get through the season. If they sell Ronaldo, they add another CF for a small fee…or possibly get Depay/Gakpo anyway depending on the requested fee.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Don't think Ajax finding a replacement is needed. We can talk about Ziyech but the reality is if United offer €94m as expected it far exceeds there "feck off price" its crazy money and that offer doesn't hinder on them finding someone else.

That fee outweighs where they get in the CL as they won't win it anyway.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Yeah I mean fair enough for the ambition but half your team was just sold and your elite level manager has been replaced. Its a transition year. And Antony isn't staying past next season, it's pretty clear he doesn't want to be part of a "Ajax push for the CL" project which will take a few years.
No it's not a transition year really, Ajax isn't buying these players for near record fee's to transition.

The target is always clear, win the title, win the cup, and make it past the group stage. The club and team needs to get used to that level, and they want Antony for that. Antony could stay for 2 more years, if Ajax wants so, but will likely be 0 or 1 max.

It gives Ajax more time to find replacements, to build and be competitive whilst they are at it.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
44 seems high for sure but as you say, we got him on the cheap.

I recon 25 to 30 million euros seems reasonable, he's absolutely proved he can do it for Ajax so there's no risk whatsover.
For me 25 is the absolute max. Ajax don't get 200m tv money every year. We have a totally different budget. Spending 25m+ on a player without resale value is terrible business for Ajax.

Chelsea bought him for €45m. Two years down the road it's clear the current coach absolutely has no appreciation for him. Ziyech is no serious part of Chelsea's plans in any way. Moreover he's now 29 yo and getting past his best days. Chelsea can't seriously argue that in this situation he's still worth much more than €16-20m.

On the other hand I realise if you receive a lot of money yourself you're always going to be forced to pay more. That's in the game and can acceptable to a certain extent. However it doesn't mean that you should take a very bad proposal which in the end is bad business for the club. I understand Chelsea trying to play this game and in the end Chelsea can ask what they want. However, in my view anything Ajax pays over €20m is paying more than he's worth given his role and position in the Chelsea team and the fact that he has no resale value. Therefore in my opinion Ajax should walk away from this. Chelsea have the right to.ask what they want, but €44m is not even close to what Ajax should even consider.

Castia

44m for Ziyech…Chelsea are taking the piss I thought they would sell for around 10m he’s obviously not needed

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
44m for Ziyech…Chelsea are taking the piss I thought they would sell for around 10m he’s obviously not needed
Annoying when the shoe is on the other foot isn't it! Chelsea know they've just rinsed us, but apparently it's ok for them and not for Chelsea?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
True but Chelsea is watching Ajax demanding €100m for Antony and they're thinking: 'Well if you give us a big chunk of that you can still make a profit.' This is the problem with doing business late in the window: The selling clubs have all the power and everyone knows exactly what cards the other fella is holding.

Castia

Annoying when the shoe is on the other foot isn't it! Chelsea know they've just rinsed us, but apparently it's ok for them and not for Chelsea?
Ajax aren’t that club to be spending 44m on 30 year old. They’d be lucky to get 20m to be honest.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
- massively overpriced. Shouldn't cost more than Raphinha (Leeds), Diaz (Porto), who all went under 50m
Why just compare to them, what about Nunez or Felix? Against those two he looks far better value!

LordSpud

In fairness to a Chelsea they know full well that Ajax stand to make upward of 80m from us for Antony and will want a piece of that for Ziyech. Ajax will just have to join the big boys and pay some big bucks.

Also dont forget Antony actually handed in a transfer request so they would have to be low to not let him go.

Marty1968

Is Grealish value for money?

I don't think anyone would argue that he has proved worth £100m given his 3 goals and 3 assists or whatever he got last season.
Oh no absolutely not worth the £100m, sorry i just lost the point of your post or the point you were trying to make....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I have to admit I don’t get the shock in any of these reactions. Chelsea are doing what they are supposed to from a tactical point of view: fecking with us, a rival, and doing their utmost to either scupper the deal completely or get a good chunk of that penalty tax themselves. Win-win for them, regardless.

Our strategic planning (or lack thereof) is ripe for the taking.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I have to admit I don’t get the shock in any of these reactions. Chelsea are doing what they are supposed to from a tactical point of view: fecking with us, a rival, and doing their utmost to either scupper the deal completely or get a good chunk of that penalty tax themselves. Win-win for them, regardless.

Our strategic planning (or lack thereof) is ripe for the taking.
Ajax can buy someone else though, €94m won't be turned down

Status
Not open for further replies.