Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart89

Alexander Isak for £65m is a coup according to people on here with his 6 goals and 2 assists as a striker. Yet this guy who has worked with our manager before is waaaaay overpriced. How about people look at the other things beyond goals and assists, such as the way he interplays with his teammates, gives the second-to-last pass to the overlapping full-back, actually being a right winger (and a left-footed one too!) and accelerates our movement towards becoming an EtH team.

I’m very excited by this, just a shame that it’s unlikely that his visa will be completed ahead of the game against Leicester.

Anustart89

Been said many times, the fee is ridiculous, Ajax have totally mugged you off BUT if people can look past that, I really think this guy might be the player you all thought Sancho would be and I think he'll be a better player also.
Plus that he’ll actually let Sancho be the player we want him to be by virtue of not being Rashford who’s utterly useless on the right, thus forcing Sancho to play on the left.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I haven't seen much of Antony but I have seen Raphinha and think he's a good player but not a great player and he seems to be ahead of Antony in the Brazil pecking order. Arjen Robben (particularly the Chelsea version) would be the best player in this Brazil team, including Neymar- he certainly wouldn't be competing for his spot in the starting lineup with anyone.
Robben got 16 goals in like 110 appearances.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Its not related and dont care about being more or less than Pogba transfer.
But part of your argument was that it sets expectation for future transfer fees. I'm using it as an example to show that isn't always the case.

Liverpool paid 75 million for Van Dijk but then bought several players for lower fees.

City bought Grealish for 100 million but have since bought players for way less.

Chelsea 100 million on Lukaku, every player since for less.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Thats the kind of player who makes the crowd stand up. Finally we get these types back
I feel like my blood was frozen and it started flowing in my veins again. Goose fecking bumps.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Given how much many teams use their full backs high up the pitch, I'm hoping Antony can be so quick and terrifying that teams become afraid to try that against us and it helps us play higher up the pitch on the right.

We should be able now to have a bigger threat on both wings rather than, as now, mainly down the left.

Wezzaldo

Fantastic signing. Dont care about the fee - its not my money. Basic business - you are bidding for someones intangible asset which they arent looking to sell. You are going to end up shelling out.

first window, was looking bleak but we now have a world class holding midfielder, back 4 looking settled but maybe a new right back in time, eriksen and bruno great 10’s, two excellent wide forwards and options at striker but again will need one in time. We might start to look like a team now
I really like this post, as it’s accurate and positive.

You’re never going to do a full rebuild in one window, was always going to be 2-3 to get the squad where we want it. But the progress we’ve made in the first window is exceptional imo.

Toblerone92

If he comes here and performs at the level he has in the Eredivisie, nobody will be complaining about the price.

Grealish cost £100m and had been nothing special whatsoever since joining City. Havertz cost £75m and has been spectacularly mediocre. Anthony is a gamble but I feel like the fact EtH knows exactly what the player brings and understands his mentality, which mitigates the associated risks somewhat.

Wezzaldo

Flashy player, his numbers are poor for a 100M player. But Ten Hag must love him to push it this far, hopefully he'll be alright.

The pressure will be immense, I can see this ending pretty badly. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I’m seeing this a lot, but I think it’s unfair. I watched a lot of him last season and his assists could of easily of been triple of what they were, as he was victim to some really woeful finishing by his teammates.

Think people need to watch him rather than relying on stats.

Reactions: Sultan

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I think there is no football person in the world who'd think that 100 mil for Antony is a reasonable price.

But who cares? Not our money, we need him, he wants us and we paid up so... maybe the fee is not that high as reported as the journos are just PR pieces for the clubs, agents and players. So yeah, relax and be happy that we have finally a left-footed RW. If he wants to develop into a Robben, then that'd be just magic.

Having Antony and Sancho on the wings is a major boost. Major. We have Plan B now for low-block teams and he'll blend into the team quickly.

I recommend you all to relax on the prices in the future as it's not your money and done>perfect, so let's focus on getting the players and less focus on the price. Until it's Glazers, we do like so. If we set up our structure neatly and efficiently, we'll have more bargains and hidden gems, but now it's just a pay-up strategy. And if he gets a player and he delivers, then... who cares?

I also expect to see a new CF, CM, RB and GK in the next 72 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Colour me excited.

He looks like an absolutely cracking player. And the fact that he's a Ten Hag disciple means that he knows exactly what's expected of him from day 1. Not that I'm fussed about the price, but that alone has significant worth in our current situation

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Also something that seems to be overlooked as a career mode and seasons player he’ll be fun to play with on FIFA :wenger:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I’m seeing this a lot, but I think it’s unfair. I watched a lot of him last season and his assists could of easily of been triple of what they were, as he was victim to some really woeful finishing by his teammates.

Think people need to watch him rather than relying on stats.
This. Also–not everybody responds to pressure the same way. Some people thrive on it, literally thrive. Licha is a clear example–dude's been in EPL for three games and is already tearing the place up. There is every sign that Antony will be the same. He doesn't seem the least bothered by how much was paid for him, he wants to be the best, he wants to be with EtH and he wants to fight.

BRING IT ON, Antony!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah we’re all excited by a quality winger but guys wouldn’t you be more excited by €100m in United’s accounts amoritized for 5 years instead?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s gonna light up old Trafford!! I love the fact he can escape from 3 players. His dribbling and quick feet is insane!

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Dude is fast with his feet and can go both ways + delivery in crosses and a shot on him + He can dribble people. What more can we actually wish for?
Cheaper price, apparently. Also there are posters who feel that Ajax robbed us, we Murtaugh was taken to the cleaners and and we are overpaying a lot. And there are 4 as good RW for 100 mil.

So yeah, the posters are never satisfied. I think it is connected with their childhood a bit - some traumas here and there, and now they are just expressing their dissatisfaction towards their favourite club, while the emotional criticism is actually a masked outcry for solving the childhood traumas.

dasty

The entire thread is just people banging on and on about his Eredivisie stats being poor and how we have been rinsed for an unproven player.

Yes, he only has 8 goals and 4 assists in Eredivisie last season, but that was from 21 starts. Why exclude the 2 goals and 4 assists he had gotten from 7 CL games? Why exclude the 2 goals and 2 assists from 3 games this season? When you talk about stats you need to include context, otherwise it is pointless. A lot of you do not even understand the very basics of statistics yet you lot kept going on and on about it.

And there aren't a lot of left footed winger in the world, certainly not more than a handful that has the high ceiling of Antony. His major flaws are his decision making and consistency, but how many youngsters do not struggle with that kind of issues, especially as a flair player? Yes we definitely overpaid, but not by as much as this forum thought. €60-70m would be a fair price for him, but the shortage of supply coupled with our very very apparent need for such player means we do not have much of a bargaining power.

Status
Not open for further replies.