Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This club's a joke, once again bowing to trial by social media and appeasing the cancel culture brigade. I bet Getafe are licking their lips.
How? The player isn’t suspended, and the club are not making any conclusive decision at this stage. Antony is withdrawing from the limelight until this is dealt with. This is absolutely the correct decision.

Bwuk

Until he’s been arrested or charged with anything it’s absolutely ridiculous to suspend him.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Making the right decision to take the time off voluntarily to deal with these allegations. Good luck to him and hope that he comes out on top.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't know the exact details of why they can't name Arsenal's Voldemort, just that they can't.

They're not making a judgement call on the seriousness of the allegations or what they think will sell more papers.
Even if they can't name him, they should still exercise the same duty of care and sideline him util the matter is resolved. I'm surprised Leah Williiamson hasn't come out with one of her statements.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This club's a joke, once again bowing to trial by social media and appeasing the cancel culture brigade. I bet Getafe are licking their lips.
It is impressive such a succinct post managed to contain so much horrendous content.

Right decision by the club. Well done United.

lifted

I’m a bit curious about why this is, not living in England. Wasn’t Mendy named in a similar legal situation? And why is it more important to not mention a guy that is charged and out on repeated bail as opposed to someone only accused of something?
Mendy was only named when he was charged. The Arsenal player has not been formally charged. There is an ongoing investigation and a charge may come, at which point he will be named.

In Rainbows

Some of us tried to tell you how naive you lot were sounding. Why on earth would you believe United would take the PR suicide by not doing this with Antony after the Greenwood incident? They were in the mud, and they needed to do something.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Even if they can't name him, they should still exercise the same duty of care and sideline him util the matter is resolved. I'm surprised Leah Williiamson hasn't come out with one of her statements.
I agree, was just answering a question as to why the press aren't covering it. They can't.

Leethal

Club's in an impossible lose/lose position.

In light of that, this is probably the best decision they could do and is probably handled as appropriate as can be.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Unrelated to the case, but Sancho has to start on Saturday, on the right. Gives him the perfect opportunity to show the world he was wronged.

Win win for ETH, and also if he does in fact play well it puts an instant end to the drama of the situation.

cyberman

Some needs to show this to a north London club. If there aren’t mass resignations when that comes to light then feck football

BootsyCollins

Its important to notice that its not a suspension.
They are very clear that its mutual, so for all we know its might as well be Antony himself who wants some time of to fight this f.ex.

Best decision imo. Lets see whats time will tell and take action from there.

lsd

The Oracle
United are amazing at making statements that don't really say anything.

It's like they ensure the statement legally says nothing but instead makes people think it says what they want it to say

the_cliff

Terrible decision by the club.

The Greenwood backlash definitely played a part in this. Social media FC.

laughtersassassin

That's his career done. Won't play football for the best part of a year or more.

Ridiculous. If there was evidence like Greenwood I'd agree but there isn't.

ForeverRed1

Terrible decision by the club.

The Greenwood backlash definitely played a part in this. Social media FC.
He’s taking time out to deal with this really serious situation. You think his head is going to be in playing football while he has this hanging over him? It’s the right decision all around and hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The way society is starting to assume someone is guilty before any proof is put forward in a courtroom is very dangerous. People have lost their careers, their families and ended up in prison only to be declared innocent years after the supposed incidents.

He could be guilty, but it could be 3 people wanting to get rich quick. That is why the courts presume someone innocent until proven guilty.
In this specific instance it does genuinely seem that it was a mutual decision between the club and Antony to delay him coming back. He seems to want the break in order to sort this out and not play with this cloud hanging over him. I know you appear to be making a more general point, but i can definitely see Antony being the one who was wanting this delay as much as the club.

Frank White

That's his career done. Won't play football for the best part of a year or more.

Huh last week you was one of the people asking why, and this is your words why should this cnut play and not Greenwood? And that was before 2 other women came forward so what's changed?

Unam333

Nothing we can do about this. Don't know if the club made the correct decision, but the way the club handled the whole Greenwood issue, we had no choice but to give him time off. It's also a PR thing.
Personally, this is the best for Antony as he can now focus on his personal issues first. No way will he be focused during matches. The away crowd will definitely abuse him as well.

Gavinb33

You do not know there is no evidence, just because the Greenwood stuff leaked doesn't mean it doesn't exist for this case because it hasnt leaked, if anything this might mean there is evidence

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It is impressive such a succinct post managed to contain so much horrendous content.

Right decision by the club. Well done United.
Yeah, the same club who welcomed back Ronaldo with a similar, if not worse chequered history. Virtue signal all you like!

the_cliff

He’s taking time out to deal with this really serious situation. You think his head is going to be in playing football while he has this hanging over him? It’s the right decision all around and hopefully it gets resolved quickly.
Is he gonna take time off receiving his 250-300k a week salary as well ?

chocolate cloud

What's the deal with Thomas Partey?

Why have Arteta and Arsenal been allowed to play him with zero mention of it on Sky or TNT or The Athletic?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I know this is slightly off topic, but while Antony isnt here, letting Sancho play again whilst he still has the statement up, is another player power win against the manager, like what the club supposedly are trying to stamp out. Fergie rightly would have shoved him in reserves and sold him asap. TH should at least make him publically apologise for undermining him before having him back. Give Pellestri, Amad, Mount or Bruno game time if Sancho doesnt agree.
Crafton already saying how ETH will now have to get on the phone to Sancho and grovel. That man has a serious agenda against ETH. Everything we know about ETH suggests he’s going to leave him out of the next squad too.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Unrelated to the case, but Sancho has to start on Saturday, on the right. Gives him the perfect opportunity to show the world he was wronged.

Win win for ETH, and also if he does in fact play well it puts an instant end to the drama of the situation.
Eh, there is zero chance of him starting after what happened last week

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wonder how long he'll be out for. If he maintains his innocence and wants to aggressively fight it, makes sense to have a period away as it would be a hell of a distraction. These things can go on for a while though.