Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkedIntoLife

Well, if it’s an absolute must for ETH to have a left footed right winger, it’s Amad then (or perhaps Greenwood will be cleared of charges). But even in such case, it’s still better not to spend 100m on Antony, he is not worth 100m with all due respect.
I agree in principal. I think he has unbelievable potential but 100m would be 'they've pulled our pants down' territory. Ajax are fairly well off after some good sales and they must know that ETH wants a left footed RW and that there's little out there, hence demanding a deterrent fee. I'd now consider either taking a gamble on a raw but talented Olise (35m release clause apparently) or playing Sancho on the right and hoping Rashford will be back to the form from like 2 years ago.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I agree in principal. I think he has unbelievable potential but 100m would be 'they've pulled our pants down' territory. Ajax are fairly well off after some good sales and they must know that ETH wants a left footed RW and that there's little out there, hence demanding a deterrent fee. I'd now consider either taking a gamble on a raw but talented Olise (35m release clause apparently) or playing Sancho on the right and hoping Rashford will be back to the form from like 2 years ago.
Where did you get that release clause for Olise ? Do you have a source? That would be one of the best business, actually.

Scholsey2004

Personally i think over £45m would be over the top for Antony. I'd go with Rashford and Sancho on the flanks. Obviously we wont have a left footed player but i'd take Sancho on his right foot over Antony any day.

RuudTom83

ETH needs to look elsewhere after this summer window closes. Frankie and this lad for over £150 million is bonkers.

croadyman

Personally i think over £45m would be over the top for Antony. I'd go with Rashford and Sancho on the flanks. Obviously we wont have a left footed player but i'd take Sancho on his right foot over Antony any day.
€60m plus addons should be absolute max

GoldanoGraham

To late in the day for this one now…..possibly earlier in the window when Ajax could have sorted out a replacement but we’ve been mincing around FDJ for so long our competitors think it’s amateur hour when they deal with us nowadays and just quote shite prices

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Where did you get that release clause for Olise ? Do you have a source? That would be one of the best business, actually.
He did have a £35m release clause in his contract according to reports, but it has since been reported about Olise renewing his contract with the release clause going over £50m.

Waynne

This guy can put in decent deliveries into the box. It's a pity Ronaldo is being a bit of a prick cause he'd be lapping up those up all day long.

That said, I'd get Antony next season and instead look for a good ball playing holding midfielder. We desperately need our own Rodri or Busquets.

SparkedIntoLife

These are sources of variable repute, admittedly, but -
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/1851...w-contract-crystal-palace-50m-release-clause/
https://theathletic.com/3299169/202...his-release-clause-will-be-a-coup-for-palace/
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ea...=A concern for Palace fans,no say in the sale.

It has been widely reported but I've seen no rebuttal to this story. The reports were common in May but, since then, it's gone a bit quiet and Olise doesn't seem to have signed the new deal which would have eradicated his release clause. Maybe he's been told to wait before re-signing it as he's first backup target, for instance.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To late in the day for this one now…..possibly earlier in the window when Ajax could have sorted out a replacement but we’ve been mincing around FDJ for so long our competitors think it’s amateur hour when they deal with us nowadays and just quote shite prices
Ajax have wanted 75m to 80m for Antony before the last season finished according to Mike Vewreij. Ajax didn't account for selling Antony and Martinez for the new season and hence will only part with those players for high fees.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was reported in May he was set to sign a new one but I don’t think it’s confirmed he’s signed it - unless I’ve missed it.
I haven't seen anything confirmed but the report by the Palace correspondent for The Athletic, did report the player and the club were close to agreeing on a renewal. And that was reported in May.

IRELANDUNITED

Does he have many years left on his contract? Could we get him for cheaper in January or next summer?

Chief123

Who are the realistic alternatives? There's Ziyech, Pulisic, Asensio, Chukwueze, Olise. RW market is pretty average right now
We should be going nowhere near Ziyech. He is very unlikely to succeed in the premier league. He just ain’t built for it.

Dannn411

Although it does not look like it now, Ajax have done us a big favour. Antony has not done anything to prove he's worth over 40 or 50 million pounds. Paying anything over 50m would have been pure madness.

Wing Attack Plan R

Oh my god shut up.

I swear we're only weeks away from someone stepping in dogshit and blaming it on "wokeness". Or intentionally driving their car off a cliff, despite being warned repeatedly by everyone around them that it's not a good idea, and with their last breaths muttering out "bloody woke bastards did this innit".
Antifa made me do it.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Can't blame them when the CEO of the bidding club is more interested in doing PR stunts at a bar.

roseguy64

This one is like a bloody flashing light: it's on... oh wait, it's off. No hang on, it's on. errr, oh...
It's not been on for ages. Ever since the 80m was confirmed and we spent what we did on Martinez. This was not gonna happen.

roseguy64

It's almost like waiting until late in the window to try and buy a player from a club that has already lost multiple players is a bad idea. I know it's a controversial opinion
It's been said multiple times that they wanted 80m for him before the window even opened. It's nothing to do with waiting until late.

Also, the players they lost early on in the window were transfers decided from like the start of the year.

roseguy64

Then why does he consistently get picked for Uruguay? Can’t be that bad. Swear posters consistently down play a footballers ability for no reason whatsoever
It's because some scout he knows, who is the bastion of all football judgement, deems him not good enough.

roseguy64

No it's not. What Overmars did was stupid and very unprofessional. However, Ajax completely overreacted in firing him. That was all down to a big scandal surrounding sexual herrassment at the The Voice of Holland show, which got huge media attention the weeks before. If the world wouldn't be in a woke-mob stranglehold he wouldn't have been fired.

We are now 6 months later and nothing came out that warrants him being fired. He was just a stupid man, that should have been suspended from work pending investigation. If no criminal investigations are opened, which hasn't been the case, he should have been back to work back at Ajax. As an Ajax fan I hope to see him back at Ajax in the future. He could start tomorrow for me.

Actions have consequences is one of the biggest knockdown arguements I've heard. You don't stick someone in jail for walking through a red light.
He sent a couple texts to a chick. Why is everyone so fecking soft now?
??????????????????????????????

Putting all banter aside

The same ajax who sell twice the number to the likes of bayern and dortmund every other summer for half the price ?
I wouldn't take this Twitter account too seriously. Got some family living in the NL and my nephews see him as one of the pure clownish accounts that for some magical reason, thinks that the amount of followers he has on equals how often he is right. A pure joke that account.

Last edited:

Putting all banter aside

??????????????????????????????
I think the levels of what is acceptable behaviour and what not are slightly different in the Amsterdam area. If I would misbehave like that for a week I'll lose my job, but here are some nutjobs that unironically plead that his career was ruined due to wokeness. Give me a break please, what am I reading on this platform?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Does he have many years left on his contract? Could we get him for cheaper in January or next summer?
Depends how his World Cup goes, really. A strong World Cup and Ajax can still ask for a lot. Probably not near the outrageous €100m fee they’re after now, but something more realistic to negotiate over next season as we’ll be on a clean slate and Ajax can’t refuse Antony’s desire to leave two seasons running.

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
We'll never reach the height City and Liverpool are by relying on one forward upfront, we must play as a team, score, create and defend as one.
Why indulge a 37 year old when we're starting a long term project, why compromise on a style of play for a player who is already past his best and might be retired or in some irrelevant league by the time the team should be hitting its peak?
That’s the keyword right there! Players can play as stars in one team creating high values for transfers, but that won’t say they be as productive in another team. A set of individual stars will nót win a real team of youngsters (really well visible on the legendary Real-Ajax and Juve-Ajax games of 2019). Together those lads were gold, but even guys like de Ligt had trouble at Juve. So it is up to the manager to make a team.Ronaldo is just an old legend drifting away from his legendary state as he only focusses on his own instead of the team.

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
It's been said multiple times that they wanted 80m for him before the window even opened. It's nothing to do with waiting until late.

Also, the players they lost early on in the window were transfers decided from like the start of the year.
It has also been said multiple times that Ajax didn’t want to sell Antony at all. So actually this outcome is not really surprising. Ajax at this moment is not the same selling club as 5-10 years ago. Ajax made proper steps up in quality and liquidity. Ajax is hunting for the steady top of europe and final stages in the CL. You won’t reach that by continuously selling your prime players.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Please give us your educated verdict on his performances in Brazil and transfer value before he came to Ajax and met Erik.
Antony was just a random bloke they picked up in Brazil without any prior knowledge about football. Ten Hag taught him everything there was to know about football.

Man, people here sometimes are really stupid. Sure a manager can make some players shine. But other players like Antony don't need a manager to do that for them. It's not like Antony will forget how to play football now that Ten Hag isn't here. In his first pre season match last Tuesday he looked as good as under Ten Hag, he might've forgot that Ten Hag wasn't there anymore? Surely he'd be worse now right?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yeah, they're in no rush to sell from a contractual point of view, and they've raised more than enough funds this summer already through other sales.

Unless he's refusing to work/train/play, Ajax have absolutely no reason or need to sell for anything under an extortionate fee.

How and why we didn't see this unfolding and move early in the window - especially with everyone knowing about the contractual difficulties concerning the FDJ/how long it would take (if it even happens) months ago - is absolutely beyond me. We've been absolutely left behind this window, and are paying the price (literally) for another rubbish strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.