Any experts on 1992-93 season?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

0:50:18 pass to Giggs, I believe it was Irwin, need a confirmation
1:20:10 corner kick, I again think it was Irwin, was it?

Also, anyone remembers who was fouled (if it was a foul, and not a handball for instance) for following Giggs-Irwin-Giggs's fabulous free kicks?

0:52:00 (Giggs)
1:07:25 (Irwin)
1:27:05 (Giggs)

Also, long shot probably, but does anyone know who kicked the ball to Robson in the final game of the season, against Wimbledon in the 2-1 win?

Thanks!

Tarrou

That's a bit random. I remember the goals and that's about it, sorry.

Out of interest, why do you need to know?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Watched the review, so wanted to keep track of goals and assisters as well. We don't have much about the later from those days. Those six situations above are the unclear ones, so hoped to see if someone here has more info.

Drummer

What a season. I used to have that linked review on video ! Might still be in my attic.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
That first assist for Giggs was definitely Irwin, not sure about the rest but I'm definitely going to watch that review again now

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
The corner for Bruce's first goal looks like Irwin. If it's paused I can't see Irwin anywhere else in the picture so if you check the team sheet for that game and if Irwin played the 90 minutes then I reckon it is him

FujiVice

For the Blackburn game, try digging up Steve Bruce Captain's Log. It has the full highlights of the famous Blackburn game.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Yep and yep.

Also, anyone remembers who was fouled (if it was a foul, and not a handball for instance) for following Giggs-Irwin-Giggs's fabulous free kicks?

1) Kanchelskis.
2) Sharpe.
3) Ince.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Also, long shot probably, but does anyone know who kicked the ball to Robson in the final game of the season, against Wimbledon in the 2-1 win?

Thanks!
1:27:05 - Ince was fouled.

Robson was fouled for Pallister's free kick after that as well of you want to know that one.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
This is brilliant, guys, thank you. Will for sure bug you in 93/94 season. ;)

All that's left is final goal of the season, who passes to Robbo?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I think that's off the 1001 Goals DVD, that's what the number down the bottom means. I used to have it somewhere, it was like 3 discs in a case.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The ball comes from the right side CB

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Hey guys, have some inquires about next season, brilliant Double one, 1993-94.

First, in league, who was fouled for these free kicks by Giggs and Irwin?

07:51 (Giggs)
52:20 (Irwin)

Two league cup games, and a FA cup last minutes brilliance by Hughes.

42:40 who headed the ball to McClair?
45:40 who kicks the ball to Hughes?
50:30 that great pass to Hughes, fairly certain it was McClair, but was it really?

Cheers.

Ole'sbodyguard

Two league cup games, and a FA cup last minutes brilliance by Hughes.

42:40 who headed the ball to McClair?
45:40 who kicks the ball to Hughes?
50:30 that great pass to Hughes, fairly certain it was McClair, but was it really?

Cheers.
Can't help you on the first two.

It's a guess but I am guessing at Pallister for McClair's goal against Portsmouth, although the player and number are well concealed. Keane and Bruce are in the penalty area so can't be them. The only thing that makes a bit hesitant is that player might be a bit short for Pallister.

Second looks like Keane to me. Irwin takes the corner and Sharpe/Kanchelskis are in the bottom of the shot and Cantona, Pallister and Bruce are in the 18 yard box.

Third, looks like McClair.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
It was Cantona at the end for the Portsmouth goal. 'Fergie's 2000 goals' has some more footage before the kick, and you can see Cantona and Pallister getting in positions, with the King getting closer to the goal. And yeah, I'm now convinced it was McClair for third in second set.

And just now found the whole Villa game in LC final on Youtube. You are right, it was Keane. :)

Thanks.

Now, onto 1994-95. ;)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heartbreaking 1994-95 was pretty clear, though, there are three instances of uncertainty. Sadly, I haven't even managed to find the footage online of it.

19th November 1994 v Crystal Palace in PL, 3-0 win with Irwin getting the first with deflected free kick. Anyone remembers who was fouled for that?

EDIT:
5th October 1994 v Port Vale in LC, 2-0 win with May getting the second. Pretty boy with the corner kick, surely that was Beckham? Though, #8 on shirt, has he ever wear that? Though, for FA Cup, Europe and LC shirt numbers were regularly changed between players. He might've.

It was Beckham really. He wore #8, Butt was #4 and Scholes #10 that night. His first assist for the club. :cool:

(from 3:00), 3-2 win with Scholes getting our third goal. I believe it was Kanchelskis who provided the cross, can see him running with the ball towards the flag, but guess someone could've switched with him when we don't see him.

Will try to upload myself some gifs or videos of first two situations.

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

Not sure about the first, but the Irwin one against Liverpool it was Keane that was fouled.

elisha27

(from 3:00), 3-2 win with Scholes getting our third goal. I believe it was Kanchelskis who provided the cross, can see him running with the ball towards the flag, but guess someone could've switched with him when we don't see him.
It's Simon Davies, I think - it isn't Kanchelskis's technique, and I think he can be seen ambling away at the edge of the area just prior to the corner being taken.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Thank you, dear people. You're completely right, just again watched the situation, and commentator even says "Simon Davies has Pallister on the near edge...". Dunno how I missed that.

This is brilliant, thanks to you, from more dozen of these 'dubious' situations, only three remaining from three seasons.

92/93 Bruce or Pallister pass to Robson?
93/94 who was fouled for Giggs' free kick?
94/95 and for Irwin's?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
On to 'can't win with kids' season. Great fun in rewatching this. Just two situations I'm not certain about...

Corner to Scholes' goal against City on 14th October 1995 in 1-0 win (Giggs surely, right?), and who flicked the ball to Cole for his goal against Boro on the last day of the league in a 3-0 win?

Video of both goals...

Ole'sbodyguard

On to 'can't win with kids' season. Great fun in rewatching this. Just two situations I'm not certain about...

Corner to Scholes' goal against City on 14th October 1995 in 1-0 win (Giggs surely, right?), and who flicked the ball to Cole for his goal against Boro on the last day of the league in a 3-0 win?

Video of both goals...

Giggs is certainly the first. Sharpe was the only other left footer in the squad and this was the season Beckham started ahead of him often.

Second, looks like Pallister misses the ball and it hits Eric on the back before falling for Cole. Again not 100% sure.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Looks a bit too short for Cantona, somehow 'feels' it's not him to me. Haircut and demeanor...could be I just imagined it.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I'm on 1996/97 season now. Solskjær's fantastic debut season, Beckham breakthrough, and immense season of Cantona. Just how unselfish that guy was? Plus he scored a lot, including that Sunderland one. You know which one.

Three situations I'm unsure about, all three Beckham's goals (and what goals!).

Wondering who was fouled for his free kicks in video above, and was that Johnsen who passed to him for a rocked of a third goal?

bishblaize

...was that Johnsen who passed to him for a rocked of a third goal?
Think so. We apparently played 5-3-2 (!) in that game, with Giggs as wingback and Johnsen on that left of the three. Cant see who else it could be

That clip doesn't show the game btw, just the line ups

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Nice find, thanks. Yeah, I'm now convinced it's Johnsen. Thought it might've been Irwin, but he didn't play, and didn't really looked the part. :)

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Thank you, dear people. You're completely right, just again watched the situation, and commentator even says "Simon Davies has Pallister on the near edge...". Dunno how I missed that.

This is brilliant, thanks to you, from more dozen of these 'dubious' situations, only three remaining from three seasons.

92/93 Bruce or Pallister pass to Robson?
94/95 and for Irwin's?
It looks like it was Bruce who assisted Robbo. From The Guardian archive:

SOCCER: INVADERS SPOIL PARTY;
Wimbledon 1, Manchester United 2

BYLINE: NEIL ROBINSON

SECTION: THE GUARDIAN SPORTS PAGE; Pg. 12

LENGTH: 500 words

THIS should have been the story of how Manchester United tied the ribbons around their gift-wrapped season. But as the whistle blew on their eighth title victory, several hundred spectactors charged on to the pitch and cheated the players of their finest hour.
Throughout the afternoon frequent warnings were relayed over the public address imploring fans to stay off the pitch. All were ignored and as the players ran off Eric Cantona was engulfed. He later emerged minus his shirt.

United's players briefly re-appeared intent on parading their trophy round the pitch. But the mere sight of a red shirt proved another red rag to those thronging the sidelines.
Hundreds more broke the police cordon and rushed on to the boos emanating from the vast majority who wished to share United's joy.

"For the sake of the players we could not go back out there," said United's manager Alex Ferguson. "We were very disappointed. "

It was a sad end to what should have been a splendid occasion. However there were compensations: for Wimbledon a record crowd, 30,115, and record receipts of pounds 303,000 - more than double their previous best; and for United two gilt-edged goals after a leaden first half and a win which leaves them with exactly the same record as they had when they last won the title in 1967.

But for all their flicks and frippery United were frustrated by opponents who spoiled at every opportunity. Ince, clattered early by Jones, replied in the best way by opening the scoring in the 63rd minute.

Giggs, who had replaced Irwin at half-time, swung in a corner and, as the ball was headed out by McAllister, Ince steadied himself on the edge of the area and swung his right foot. The ball hit Fitzgerald and snaked past Segers.

At last United were humming and a second goal soon followed. This time Robson, making his first full appearance since December 6, raced clear in pursuit of Bruce's free-kick. Robson drove low and hard into the net - his first Premier League goal.

Holdsworth rallied Wimbledon with his 19th league goal - headed neatly from Barton's cross - but United were determined to end on the right note. What a pity a minority of their fans let them down.

Wimbledon: Segers; Barton, McAllister, Jones, Scales, Fitzgerald, Ardley (Joseph, 70min), Earle, Fashanu, Holdsworth, Clarke.

Manchester United: Schmeichel; Parker, Irwin (Giggs, h-t), Bruce, Sharpe, Pallister, Robson, Ince, McClair, Hughes, Cantona.

Referee: J Worrall (Warrington).[/quote

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
That's one brilliant research, Pat, much appreciated. Tried the same archive for next two games, but there's nothing for 93/94 one, and guess 'Teenage stand-in does Schmeiehel proud' could be about 94/95 game. Too bad it's pay only.

Thanks again!

What's left:

94/95 and for Irwin's?
95/96 who flicks the ball to Cole?
96/97 who was fouled for Beckham's free kicks?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That's one brilliant research, Pat, much appreciated. Tried the same archive for next two games, but there's nothing for 93/94 one, and guess 'Teenage stand-in does Schmeiehel proud' could be about 94/95 game. Too bad it's pay only.

Thanks again!

What's left:

94/95 and for Irwin's?
96/97 who was fouled for Beckham's free kicks?
My pleasure mate. I think I've found the info for Beckham's free kick vs Tottenham in 96/97, but I couldn't find anything about the others.

The Times
January 6, 1997, Monday
Beckham blunts Spurs

BYLINE: Rob Hughes, Football Correspondent

SECTION: Sport

LENGTH: 991 words

Manchester United 2, Tottenham Hotspur 0.
MANCHESTER United, attempting an unprecedented fourth consecutive appearance in the FA Cup Final, overcame a tactically proficient, tenacious Tottenham Hotspur before 52,495 spectators at Old Trafford yesterday. They then learnt that their visitors in the next round will be the other London branch of perseverance, Wimbledon FC, assuming no heroics from Crewe Alexandra when their third-round tie is played.

However, we must hail the spirit and ingenuity with which Tottenham made such a game of it yesterday. They arrived without six quality players - Sheringham, Armstrong, Anderton, Scales, Mabbutt and Iversen. Moreover, Tottenham have now travelled to Old Trafford 13 times since the start of Alex Ferguson's tenure and won but twice.

So, even history was against the white-shirted innocents in this third-round tie, which should have been such a classic. Manchester United, winners of the FA Cup nine times, and Tottenham, its holders on eight occasions, share the most illustrious pasts in a tournament that has run for 125 years.
Yet how do you take on United when your team has been ravaged and when it has recently conceded six goals at Bolton Wanderers and then seven at Newcastle United? The faith that poured down from the Tottenham section of this crowd, their blue and white balloons filling the air, was defiance and outrageous optimism personified.

It was later to turn nasty: "Are you Arsenal in disguise?" the fans in white taunted; "End of your season!" the red brigades responded. Why must they do it? Why is it not enough to support a team and take the game at face value?

At least, on the field, Tottenham let no one down. They had an emergency strike force in two 19-year-olds, Rory Allen paired with Neil Fenn, so ebullient on his first outing for the first team. Behind them, Sinton, brought in from the wing, was creative and lent his experience to those around him. Better still, Howells, in the anchor role, was a true captain of the depleted force.

And then there was Campbell. "Big Garth," he was dubbed as a youth; big indeed in the way he dealt with Cantona's opportunities. More redeployment came on the flanks, particularly the right where Carr and Austin tried to contain the pace and trickery of Giggs. That should not sound too negative, for Tottenham came to play foot ball, to counter-attack with pace and movement.

Ferguson said: "It was a credit to Gerry Francis that he could pull a team out of the hat like that. What gave us a little edge was the two young players up front against the experience of May and Johnsen."

Ferguson further identified Keane, the embodiment of cup-tie spirit and dynamism as "marvellous - there was not a player within a thousand miles of him, the way he found a red jersey all the time". Perhaps so, but Keane also has a recklessness that, in the 31st minute, could have got him sent off.

He raced behind Nielsen, he fouled him wickedly and then pursued the ball, raising his boot in an ugly fashion against the outstretched leg of Edinburgh. A yellow card for two yellow-card offences and, come the European Cup resumption, Keane will not get away with that.

United, meanwhile, had profited from Allen's inexperi ence when, from a cross by Fenn, he mis-headed the ball from a scoring position at the far post. Gradually Beckham was inviting United to break through. In the 26th minute, Giggs squandered a wonderful centre from Beckham when he allowed Walker to make a superb save. The goalkeeper arched his back and palmed the ball away with both hands; and yet, from eight yards, Giggs should not have allowed him the glory.

By half-time, United became almost a 4-2-4 attacking formation, with Cantona wide on the left, Beckham on the right and Giggs doing what Cantona seemed reluctant to do - playing through the middle close to Cole.

Spurs had grown in confidence, had moved the ball impressively before half-time. But, just after, came the breakthrough. Beckham initiated it, Cole, with his best moment of the match, provided the through ball and Scholes scored with a sharp, low shot from an acute angle.

"Pass the ball to the net" was a piece of advice one Bill Nicholson, the manager of the great push-and-run Tottenham side, used to advise Jimmy Greaves. Scholes looked quite a pupil.

But Beckham was to finish the match as a contest nine minutes from time with a peerless free kick. We talk of Brazilians being able to conjure bias and swerve at their will on a dead ball. Beckham can do that, too.

Calderwood, lucky not to receive his second caution when he brought down Giggs, was punished when Beckham addressed the free kick from 27 yards. He ran at it side on, he used the instep of his right foot, yet he produced not only the guile and spin, but also tremendous ferocity, giving Walker not a ghost of a chance as the ball arced into the roof of his net.

Tottenham had spirit. At times Fenn looked a player for the present rather than the future. He gave May a hard time, and later we learnt that the United defender will have an operation today on a hernia problem that has troubled him for two months.

Irwin, taken off with a hamstring strain, may also miss the next match, which happens to be next Sunday, against Tottenham at White Hart Lane. "People think our season is over," Francis said. "It hurts to be out of the Cup at the first attempt, but those players did us proud today. It's not unrealistic for us to aim to finish high enough in the league to reach Europe."

MANCHESTER UNITED (4-4-1-1): P Schmeichel - G Neville, D May, R Johnsen, D Irwin (sub, B McClair, 55min) - D Beckham, R Keane, P Scholes, R Giggs - E Cantona - A Cole (sub: O Solskjaer, 77).

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR (5-1-2-2): I Walker - S Carr, D Austin, C Calderwood, S Campbell, J Edinburgh - D Howells - A Nielsen, A Sinton - R Allen, N Fenn.

Referee: S Lodge.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Again excellent, thank you.

97/98 went painless. There were two uncertainties about couple of Beckham's free kicks, but luckily, from 3-1 away win at Liverpool, and 5-3 FA Cup beauty against Chelsea. Managed to find extended highlights of those online, with the fouliees(?). Cole and Giggs they were.

On to treble season!

94/95 and for Irwin's?
96/97 who was fouled for Beckham's free kick against Southampton in 3-6 loss?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Quite a few unknowns in the Treble season actually. All involving Beckham's free kicks. With penalties, we usually get the action that got us there, but with regular free kicks, season reviews, and some other goals' videos such is 'Fergie's 2000 goals' just show them, not the actual fouls.

So, would be great if someone could remember the 'fouliees'.

07:50 who was fouled for Beckham's free kick v Leicester on 15th August 1998 (2-2)
16:50 same as above v Barcelona on 16th September 1998 (3-3)
38:04 again Beckham with free kick, who was fouled this time against Brondby on 4th November 1998 (5-0 win)

00:35 who was fouled for Beckham's free kick v Everton on March 19th 1999 (3-1 win)

There's also one more Beckham's free kick that I cannot yet find online, it was on 1st May 1999 v Aston Villa, we won 2-1. Anyone with memory on who was fouled then?

I'll try to find Villa goal, or upload myself.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Managed to find out that it was Yorke who was fouled for Beckham's free kick against Barcelona, and Johnsen was fouled for Everton's free kick. 3 more unknowns for that season..

In 1999-00 there were only two Beckham's free kicks with unknown fouliees.

First one against Croatia Zagreb in away win of 2-1 on 27th October 1999. 32nd minute goal.

Second one against Southampton on 22nd April 2000 in away win of 3-1. 8th minute goal. Can't find online goal, will upload it myself along with Villa one from above in a few...

EDIT:

Last edited: