Anyone else feeling ok after losing to City in the semi-final of the Carabao Cup?

ShinjiNinja26

I’m pissed of at the fact that it’s our 4th semi final that we’ve yet again failed to progress in and may start to become a mental block with this team. Ole needs a trophy badly and has to start delivering soon. As far as the result goes though I’m not too bothered, City are a quality side who’ve regained their form so no shame in losing to them at the moment.

justsomebloke

I think it summarises the lack of purpose that Solskjaer has as a manager. Was he brought in to bring stability because he's already done this. Was he brought in to redefine the quality of the squad because we have the best team since SAF retired and one of the best squads in the league. How do we define the managers purpose ? Ole is more or less doing what Poch did with far more resources yet the argument against Poch is he won nothing.

End of this season Solskjaer will have been here for around four years, if we haven't won anything why is he not being scrutinised more to the same extent that any other manager would have been heavily criticized. This isn't about sacking the manager but more that the fans have allowed Ole to coast in a passive not win anything but get along position and somehow deemed this as progress.

Who was the most successful manager to join since SAF retired ? Mourinho, why, because he won trophies. That is ultimately the definitive aspect of success at a club so fans turning a blind eye I feel your inadvertently not supporting Solskjaer because eventually it will get to a point where people will start to turn their nose up at this.
"It's been two years, where's my silverware". Really, we have to think a bit further than that. Ole was brought in to carry out a complete makeover of the club, and build a contender. To all appearances, he's making good progress on that. But it takes time. And patience.

At the end of this season, he will have been here 2 1/2 years, not 4. To claim he's not been scrutinised is astoundingly inaccurate.

Mourinho won the league cup and the Europa league, but never brought us anywhere close to competing for a title, and left in his third year leaving the club and squad adrift and in ruins. Which is one important reason why we're now in the midst of a rebuild and overhaul that will take several seasons. His appointment was a grave mistake as far as I'm concerned, and the titles he won does little to outweigh his destructive impact. For my part, I'd much much rather be where we are now without those titles, than be where Mourinho left us and with the titles.

We're getting there. But we'll need at least another transfer window of strong and good investment. Then we can start talking about titles.

Zoo

Kind of because it shows we are not there yet. Liverpool and City remain superior but we have another chance to show we can reach their level at Anfield next week.

Also hopefully Ole will rethink things - set piece issues, Maguire and Lindelof are generally stable but no longer should they be the definite first choice pairing, just because it’s a big game doesn’t mean that McTominay has to play etc

AshRK

We need to be careful of not becoming this "nearly team". Another trophyless season would not be a good look on us and Ole.

Park's Petrified Pooch

No. Not ok with this loss at all. There has been a good improvement, but we’ve developed a nasty habit of losing when under real pressure to perform. And not just losing, but never looking like winning those games. Bruno looked like a man trying to be the guy with the winning mentality and superman us to victory but nothing came off and he had a dreadful game. To a man we were passive and in the end succumbed to the loss without a fight.

Burnley is huge now before we face Liverpool. We need a proper performance, on the front foot, or we’ll get shithoused into submission.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I don’t understand all this fornication over city and their performance.

They were mildly the better team. Very much mildly. Two poor bits of defending by us cost us the game on the night.

There was no brilliance from them, and unfortunately, less from us.

They are the better team and squad in almost every aspect and it showed but I’m bored of hearing how good they were in the game. One long range shot and a tame header from Sterling is all they had for such a ‘masterclass’ from Pep. And I use the word Masterclass because two bitter mates have used that term directly about the game last night
This.
City were marginally better and we were toothless going forward but there wasn't much between the two teams. On another day we score first and the match completely changes.
Our defending from set-pieces is criminal though and that's the most annoying bit.
Also, it's the League Cup..

Kaos

It's a positive in the sense it humbles us into realising we're not quite ready for a genuine title challenge. I'm hoping it compels the board to let Ole invest in more players, but not entirely optimistic considering how much they've been willing to settle on top 4.

justsomebloke

I don't mind losing the odd game. What I would worry about is that under Ole we have a history of allowing a bad result to usher in a run of terrible performances. If the team takes it on the chin and play well and get good results in next few games then I won't worry too much about losing a league cup tie.
Really? Other than the beginning of this season (which were not preceded by a bad result, or anything resembling a proper pre-season), I can't actually think of a single example of a bad result ushering in a run of terrible performances, since Bruno arrived. And before that, we were a different team to what we've been for the past 12 months.

Alemar

Never thought I’d say that after losing to City but I’ll take that defeat.
We lost to a better performing team yesterday, the outcome was fair. If it was an unlucky loss, it would have felt badly, but it wasn’t. On the other hand, it wasn’t a humiliating loss, either.

We simply need to improve the squad, and the coaching team needs to work on certain aspects of the game, it’s obvious

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not too disappointed because I didn't expect us to beat City as we're not at their level yet. I haven't got carried away thinking about titles like some, top 4 would still be a good season for me.

Andersons Dietician

Never thought I’d say that after losing to City but I’ll take that defeat.

I’m looking at the opposition. City were fired up last night. A different team with a totally different approach in comparison to the team we played in the PL the other week.

Going on the performance and the level of opposition, it amazes me how we resort to slagging off our players. Ffs we’ve played far worse than that and won games before.

A reality check, nothing more and time to kick on!
I agree, obviously there were things in the game we were lacking but simply got out done by peps tactics and a decent city team in form. We were in that game and I always felt if we get a good chance we could score it just never happened for us. I felt like we played pretty well considering and showed no fear. Like you said, we’ve played far worse and won games.

Sometimes you simply have to hold your hands up and say they were better than us on the day.

CM

It's a disappointment but winning the Carabao Cup isn't the summit of our ambitions so it's not the end of the world. If this result gets a reaction for the Burnley and Liverpool games this will be a distant memory.

meamth

If devil asked me, "You can win the league cup, but you will lose against Burnley, so choose"

I'd gladly take the 3 points. That's how I feel at the moment.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I was surprised at how they didn't trouble us much at all. Shite goals to concede. That's the glass half full many seem to be seeing.

That said, it felt like they didn't need to get out of second gear and neither did we despite being behind. We just played out the game and went out without any urgency or fight.

We are in as good a position to challenge as we've ever been since SAF retired, but that display doesn't bode well at all.

Plymouth Red

The result was not a surprise so I just shrug my shoulders and look to the future. I'm going to reserve judgement on pretty much everything and everyone until this season is over.

At that point, it will be clear whether we have genuinely advanced on the pitch. We will be able to see whether we are temperamentally-weak serial bottlers when it really matters or whether we are strong-minded.

Individual players will have shown their true appetite to win or develop their game. The coaching we give them will or won't have improved us, at set pieces, as an example. We'll concede less than in the first half of the season and we'll score more by converting more of the simpler chances we regularly miss, like last night. Or we won't. Who knows at this moment?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Was a little disappointed yesterday obviously but I am over it. We are just not ready to beat a very good team in crucial cup games.
The same way Pep’s City were not ready so far to reach the latter stages of the CL.
In the league teams sometimes play different against us, Pep was happy with a point, most other teams are happy with a draw against us. In the cup there can only be one winner so the approach and pressure are different.

I am not too bothered by 4th semi final exit. These things happen sometimes.
A higher level example is us under Fergie. I read yesterday on bbc that Fergie only lost 6 semis altogether in his 26 years at United. No idea if this is true or not. Obviously this number is so low because most of the time we made it to the final. However there was a long time period in the CL between our 99 final win and 2008 semi final win against Barca (so 9 years!!) where despite still winning stuff and league titles domestically, in the CL we didn’t beat a really top team (ex CL winners or regular league winners). So why was it like this? Was it a mental block? Poor tactics? There can be a lot of reasons, but in the end we were just not good enough in those years in Europe and / or there were at least one or two teams just better than us. Once we were good enough in the next few years we did beat some top/big sides (Chelsea 2008/2011, Milan 2010, Inter 2009, (Arsenal)).

The same way we are currently improving but there are 2 teams in England who are currently just better than us. That doesn’t mean that we can never beat them, but in the crucial games more often than not they are going to win.
We are on a good path I feel and it’s important that we (the players and Ole) learn from their mistakes and at the same time focus on the other competitions.

On another note if we somehow fluke these crucial games, Ed might in the end think that McFred and Matic are good enough and we don’t need anyone else either.

spiriticon

I'm ok. It's nice to win a trophy but at the end of the day it's just not valued enough to give a massive confidence boost to our players for next season. The FA Cup is a bigger trophy.

We've won the League Cup recently and yet we haven't really pushed on from it.

Last edited:

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Yeah, I'm obviously disappointed that we're missing out on our best chance to get a trophy, I'd really like to see Ole win something, but I'd be more disappointed if that match was in the league if I'm honest. I thought 1st half there wasn't much between the teams, and considering their win over Chelsea a few days ago that's not a bit sign at all. 2nd half we lost because we suck at attacking and defending set pieces (have we scored off a corner or in-direct free kick this season?) and because we looked knackered whereas they recently had a full week off (not trying to come up with excuses, but I can't help but think that played at least a small part). You've also got the fact we could go top of the league for the first time in god knows how long coming up to comfort us, whether you consider us true title challengers or not that's still a nice place to be.

Maticmaker

Its not losing to City, they were the better team end of! Its losing four semi-finals on the bounce, in the higher reaches of Cup competitions we cannot 'find a way to win'...this is what is upsetting and worrying!

Cantonagotmehere

I know winning breeds winning, but I really have never cared for this Cup and wish it was the 'kids' all the way through. So, I am OK today. I am bummed that we lost to Pep and they look a better side, but I really only care about the Prem this year and hopefully a great FA Cup run.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The team didn't look like they lacked hungriness to me. And what are yo on about, City were excellent. No way de Bruyne had a poor game.

Having the height advantage isn't much help to prevent two goals not scored from aerial duels. On the first, Maguire was again too passive in letting the ball pass rather than attempt a dangerous clearance. On the second, the trouble comes from Martials poor first clearance and lack of concentration on the first post.
Ruben Dias and Fernandinho had excellent games. That was the only difference. Neither their attackers nor ours stood out.

The clearance for the 2nd goal came from Wan Bissaka, not Martial.

CG1010

Weirdly this game gave me more confidence about progression as a team. We played probably the PL champion for this season and while we were comfortably defeated, it was more due to us being out of touch rather than a difference in quality itself (like last few seasons). However, very concerned about the ability of the team to take this to next level and develop a winning mentality. Burnley game is huge as a legit top of the league position, however briefly, would give massive confidence to this young team.

K Stand Knut

This.
City were marginally better and we were toothless going forward but there wasn't much between the two teams. On another day we score first and the match completely changes.
Our defending from set-pieces is criminal though and that's the most annoying bit.
can I just bury my head about this and pretend it never happens

The Hilton

This.
Totally agreed, and the stats back it up as well - two set pieces are what decided the match.

The extra rest that City have had playing half as many matches as us in December won't have hurt them either.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Sometimes you need a bit of luck. Yesterday it was clash of styles. Guardiola´s more progressive and Ole´s more pragmatic. Both team created some chances, could go either way but if you look at the statistics. Historically, teams with more possession create generally more chances and win more often than not. We will win games scoring some great goals from counter attacks and be thinking how good we set up tactically but should definitely work on our pressing game and keeping the ball.

We shouldn´t be crazy pressing like Bielsa´s team but with a quality team like this you want it to play on the front foot, unless you have a world class defence and worse attack so you can mix it up. Still better more progressive teams will trouble us more than ever. We shouldn´t let them and try to be as dominant as possible. I am disappointed from yesterday but I´ve seen few good things, just hope we progress and don´t waste another season. Just motivation is not enough but good coaching can be. So I hope everyone is working hard on that.

lee82gx

No. Not ok with this loss at all. There has been a good improvement, but we’ve developed a nasty habit of losing when under real pressure to perform. And not just losing, but never looking like winning those games. Bruno looked like a man trying to be the guy with the winning mentality and superman us to victory but nothing came off and he had a dreadful game. To a man we were passive and in the end succumbed to the loss without a fight.

Burnley is huge now before we face Liverpool. We need a proper performance, on the front foot, or we’ll get shithoused into submission.
I cant say it better myself. Watched the game and this is my exact feeling.

A prime Pep's City, lacking a few first teasers can actually walk over us. I mean the way we played them, Pep would not mind to play us 38 times a season and definitely would've end with the championship.

Capt's not defending well again when it matters. But you don't want to watch every derby game at home, with bated breath, holding on to straws defending for our lives every time right?

Dve

A bit annoyed that we part of the game had plenty of space to explore in their half without the quality to take advantage of it, and yesterday I was also annoyed by Bruno always trying a sexy pass with the outside of his foot when a simple pass would have been enough.

On the positive - if we are still in a title race come April - we´ll get to rest while two of our opponents have a final to play.

Edy2

I was surprised at how they didn't trouble us much at all. Shite goals to concede. That's the glass half full many seem to be seeing.

That said, it felt like they didn't need to get out of second gear and neither did we despite being behind. We just played out the game and went out without any urgency or fight.

We are in as good a position to challenge as we've ever been since SAF retired, but that display doesn't bode well at all.
Agree with this. It was infuriating to see Maguire and Lindelof still passing it sideways and backwards inside their own half in the 92nd minute with absolutely no urgency to rescue the game.

We are better than we have been but a long way to go. It would help if he picked players in their proper positions and play the likes of Bailly when he's looked to fit in well in this system complementing Maguire and having a bit of pace and aggression about him.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
The loss hurts of course, I'll admit that, and City were better. It was a close game however, there was a bit of luck involved in both goals. It was obvious that whoever scored first would win it.

I felt the lineup and game plan weren't what we needed, but 'what if's and crying over spilt will get us nowhere. On to the next.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A cup is a cup and all, but I find it very difficult to get excited about the EFL Cup.

If last night was a 3rd round FA Cup tie which city dumped us out of, I'd be a bit more annoyed.

Giggsy13

Set pieces cost us this tie. I thought the balance of play was fairly even and if we weren’t so sloppy in the attacking third we probably go up 1 nil before half time - when Bruno completely misplayed a pass to Rashford on the break. Unfortunately just one of those days. However the narrative of this squad and Ole being bottlers remains firmly in place and this is the unfortunate part of this loss. We need a trophy now whether it be the FA cup or Europa to shed this label and reputation.

croadyman

Set pieces cost us this tie. I thought the balance of play was fairly even and if we weren’t so sloppy in the attacking third we probably go up 1 nil before half time - when Bruno completely misplayed a pass to Rashford on the break. Unfortunately just one of those days. However the narrative of this squad and Ole being bottlers remains firmly in place and this is the unfortunate part of this loss. We need a trophy now whether it be the FA cup or Europa to shed this label and reputation.
Set pieces cost us a semi final now where have we heard that before, how many more times are we going to keep getting undone like that before the penny drops with our coaching staff that there is clearly a problem which needs addressing before it costs us more league points.

RUCK4444

Do we really need an EFL trophy to prove we have improved? I don’t think so.

We’ve all been spoilt with trophies at United and an EFL cup isn’t going to give me a hard on to be Frank.

The most important for United as a club at the moment is to make progress in the league and mount some type of challenge on the top two sides.

The trophies will follow...

Roboc7

Weirdly this game gave me more confidence about progression as a team. We played probably the PL champion for this season and while we were comfortably defeated, it was more due to us being out of touch rather than a difference in quality itself (like last few seasons). However, very concerned about the ability of the team to take this to next level and develop a winning mentality. Burnley game is huge as a legit top of the league position, however briefly, would give massive confidence to this young team.
I don’t see what confidence can be taken from an under strength City beating us fairly comfortably at Old Trafford without playing particularly well. City are a shadow of team they were at their peak under Pep and we’ve been way too tentative in both games against them this season.

Ed9

My only regret is we didn't use this competition for giving our best young talent any chances. We bailed on the famous United giving youth a chance. Otherwise I don't care about League Cup.

I'm annoyed because it's City, but everybody at the top end of the table knows the League Cup is a competition we'd be better off without.

It did us a good turn in reminding us we are not as good as we thought, Ole is not Ferguson reincarnated, and there is still work to be done.

romufc

I am not sure how I feel after yesterday.

1. Ole keeps saying we have improved, yes our league position backs it up but we haven't beaten Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, City this season, and only scored 1 penalty, which shows there hasn't been that much improvement.

2. We have improved against lesser teams.

3. There seems to be a mental block, we cannot keep coming out with excuses, the first real team we have to play in a cup competition, we get knocked out.

4. The positive from this is it gives the fans and players a reality check, we are not as good as many think, the players will have realised they aren't that good.

However good Bruno is, in open play he has failed to impact the big games, this is a big concern.

Renegade

No way. This team needs to gain a winning mentality. The same people saying they’re not bothered about the trophy will be the ones to criticise Poch for not winning anything with Spurs.

The league cup win in 05/06 was the catalyst for the successfor that 06-09 team.