Anyone else feeling ok after losing to City in the semi-final of the Carabao Cup?

Fluctuation0161

I’m pissed of at the fact that it’s our 4th semi final that we’ve yet again failed to progress in and may start to become a mental block with this team. Ole needs a trophy badly and has to start delivering soon. As far as the result goes though I’m not too bothered, City are a quality side who’ve regained their form so no shame in losing to them at the moment.
If only we had drawn Brentford. :lol:

croadyman

No way. This team needs to gain a winning mentality. The same people saying they’re not bothered about the trophy will be the ones to criticise Poch for not winning anything with Spurs.
That is a very valid point indeed

Falcow

Not that bothered. If our final ball was better we may have won. We really needed Bruno to play well, unfortunately he was awful so when your most important player plays badly it's always going to be hard to win.

croadyman

Not that bothered. If our final ball was better we may have won. We really needed Bruno to play well, unfortunately he was awful so when your most important player plays badly it's always going to be hard to win.
Far too reliant on him

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I never thought we'd win tbh. City winning however many years in a row, Mourinho never losing a League cup final, written in the stars IMO.

Annoying though because it's yet another semi final and that hoodoo gets further entrenched. We need to win the next one.

Sylar

They are a better team and are far ahead of us in terms of 'development'

Losing didnt annoy me as that can happen
What annoyed me was that we lost due to two set pieces where both goals were unavoidable. Not just giving away the set pieces, but what happened during the set pieces.

Giggsy13

Do we really need an EFL trophy to prove we have improved? I don’t think so.

We’ve all been spoilt with trophies at United and an EFL cup isn’t going to give me a hard on to be Frank.

The most important for United as a club at the moment is to make progress in the league and mount some type of challenge on the top two sides.

The trophies will follow...
We’ve lost 4 semi finals and bottled the champions league. For this squad’s collective psyche, winning something matters. This high and mighty view that it’s only the league cup needs to stop and we can only look at city and their relentless pursuit of winning this trophy as an example. Beating them yesterday would’ve been a huge boost, let’s not pretend it doesn’t matter.

spiriticon

Even if Ole wins the League Cup, will it improve his reputation? I don't think so. It puts him alongside Juande Ramos at most.

You could probably say that for Poch as well.

nyanza

I also did, a lot of people apparently didn't though if one defeat against an admittedly very strong opposition was enough to go back to name calling Mctominay, Maguire, Martial, Wan Bissaka and so on. Haven't opened the Fletcher thread but won't be surprised if someone has questioned what he is doing and why he didn't turn the game around. :lol:

Pearl's a minger

I'm more narked about our dodgy home form, especially against the so called 'bigger' sides. Chelsea, Arsenal,Spurs and City X2 at home and the grand total of 1 goal scored and 9 conceded.Not good enough i'm afraid..

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Should have played the B team. This was a throw away game after the weekend.

RUCK4444

We’ve lost 4 semi finals and bottled the champions league. For this squad’s collective psyche, winning something matters. This high and mighty view that it’s only the league cup needs to stop and we can only look at city and their relentless pursuit of winning this trophy as an example. Beating them yesterday would’ve been a huge boost, let’s not pretend it doesn’t matter.
We are in a different position to City. They are the finished article, we are still working our way back from 7 years of absolute obscurity.

I'll say it again, a feckin league cup means feck all, we have to challenge in the league. Winning a league cup but finishing 6th would still be rightly seen as the team going backwards.

Nobody wants to go out at the semi-final stage but as eluded to in the OP it's not exactly the end of the world is it. Not enough for all the hysteria and slating of the manager and squad.

Tallis

It will be great to win a trophy this season. The league cup could have given us the confidence to really push in the league. It’s an opportunity missed but not the end of the world. I am just hoping we can address at least one squad shortcoming in the winter window to give ourselves the best chance.

Siorac

I know winning breeds winning
There's very little evidence that it does, it's just a narrative on the Caf because Sir Alex once said that the 06 League Cup win was important. We won the FA Cup in 2016, the League Cup and the Europa League in 2017 and it bred feck all. Same goes for all of Arsenal's FA Cup wins. They were nice moments for the fans, sure, but that's about it.

Devil77

One team had to win and City were the better team last night. Don’t think we put up a bad performance, just a little sloppy with the final ball and the City defenders did great. We are definitely on the right track.

Cantonagotmehere

There's very little evidence that it does, it's just a narrative on the Caf because Sir Alex once said that the 06 League Cup win was important. We won the FA Cup in 2016, the League Cup and the Europa League in 2017 and it bred feck all. Same goes for all of Arsenal's FA Cup wins. They were nice moments for the fans, sure, but that's about it.
fair point

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The way Dias and Stones played I cant be mad. Better team won. We go again against Watford, and more importantly, Burnley.

podurban2

My first though after the feeling of losing was that it doesn't really matter. What's important now is playing consistently good in the league.

gza the genius

Out of all the games coming up this is the one I'd have been most okay with losing. Obviously I'd rather we'd have won but the league is much more important.

Giggsy13

We are in a different position to City. They are the finished article, we are still working our way back from 7 years of absolute obscurity.

I'll say it again, a feckin league cup means feck all, we have to challenge in the league. Winning a league cup but finishing 6th would still be rightly seen as the team going backwards.

Nobody wants to go out at the semi-final stage but as eluded to in the OP it's not exactly the end of the world is it. Not enough for all the hysteria and slating of the manager and squad.
I agree with you in that overreactions regarding Ole and the squad by those with an agenda on here are clearly off the mark. However to downplay this loss like you're doing by trivializing the League Cup as not being important for squad is off the mark as well. We are not the finished article and in that regard, having a trophy, as minor as the League Cup, is actually very important for this squad's development. Being in a final and actually winning it could act as a springboard for more success in the future. Think the 2006 league cup win, which players like Ronaldo and Rooney were celebrating and being roundly mocked by our rivals. Those two needed it, as do Bruno, Maguire, Rashford etc. to take the next step. Now the players have to carry the burden and face the scrutiny of being bottlers in big moments in the midst of a potential title race.

You point out that City are in a different position to us but yet they see the importance of winning trophies especially this one, which does little in affecting a team's league form. Who are we then to scoff at this trophy when we're 7 years in the wilderness since Fergie retired.

Tiber

Better team won. And I have never cared about the league cup.

Can't say im losing sleep.

RUCK4444

I agree with you in that overreactions regarding Ole and the squad by those with an agenda on here are clearly off the mark. However to downplay this loss like you're doing by trivializing the League Cup as not being important for squad is off the mark as well. We are not the finished article and in that regard, having a trophy, as minor as the League Cup, is actually very important for this squad's development. Being in a final and actually winning it could act as a springboard for more success in the future. Think the 2006 league cup win, which players like Ronaldo and Rooney were celebrating and being roundly mocked by our rivals. Those two needed it, as do Bruno, Maguire, Rashford etc. to take the next step. Now the players have to carry the burden and face the scrutiny of being bottlers in big moments in the midst of a potential title race.

You point out that City are in a different position to us but yet they see the importance of winning trophies especially this one, which does little in affecting a team's league form. Who are we then to scoff at this trophy when we're 7 years in the wilderness since Fergie retired.
I'm not downplaying the fact that it would be a boost for us, I agree it would. It's just that we've gone out of these cups against good opposition, last night we played well enough, not brilliant but we competed and had chances but we were wasteful and their better players took their chances, it happens, it's a cup competition. It's just frustrating that the fanbase choose to turn on the manager and squad again when the real benchmark we should be focusing on is our league position and how we fare off against Liverpool and City in the league overall.

I don't think they bottled that game last night, there is a difference between losing to the better team on the day and bottling it. I agree it's not a label we want placed on us either, I'm confident we will win a cup soon enough, I just wish we had properly strengthened in the summer and perhaps we wouldn't be having this conversation eh.

James Ward

Yep annoyed especially after the way United went out of the champions league. Gave a much better performance in this though.

I wouldn't have minded if we played our 2nd team but it was our full team bar De Gea do yrs I am annoyed.

I think with Luke Shaw and Martial in the team we are never going to win a trophy. Still think we are a right winger, left back and a CF/LW short depending if Rashford plays CF.

Should of getting Grealish and Regulion when we could of had and Sancho instead of signing telless, Cavani, pellestri, Sancho, VDB to sit on the bench.

Tony247

May be as united manager Ole has in his destiny to win PL as the first trophy.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Meh, I was fuming with CL. Not too bothered about League Cup cos for me it doesn't really prove neither here nor there for me, we have won it since SAF retired and its meant feckal in the scheme of things.

I am disappointed with the performance part though, just didn't show up. People seem to think we played ok cos it didn't look like City had us bent over a desk. They might not have, but they still slapped us up dont get it twisted.

el3mel

Yeah I'm not gutted at all really. Weird but it's what it's. Probably because we're doing pretty well in the league and have a chance to jump to the top next 2 games so it made the loss pretty passable for me.

CL exit was the one black spot I took a pretty long time to get past it. This was the real terrible exit.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Was just disappointed with the attitude. It mever looked we were playing a derby semifinal. Mind you City also didn't play that well but the goals we conceded were quite poor. Not as bad as CL exit ( which we screwed it up) but after so many promising results, this was kick back to earth.

norm87cro

Me. Just watched the highlights and I really wasn't fussed about the game. They always seem to bring their A game against us and other top 6 teams. They have to play the CL and I excpect them to drop plenty of points between now and May.

peridigm

Disappointed for sure but I didn't lose any sleep over it. Let's not get carried away over our league position. We still have a lot of work to do and many players are not the best fit to take us back to the top. I won't get into whether Ole is the best fit to get us back to the top but the players are more likely to come and go before he is.

Amerifan

Couldn’t care less about the loss. Top flight clubs pretend to take cups seriously, but they really don’t care. Managers have won every domestic cup on offer and still gotten the sack based on PL table position. LVG, Jose, Arsene, to name a few. The FA had to create fines because otherwise PL clubs would field the under-18s and save the first team for the league and Europe.

Foxbatt

I also did, a lot of people apparently didn't though if one defeat against an admittedly very strong opposition was enough to go back to name calling Mctominay, Maguire, Martial, Wan Bissaka and so on. Haven't opened the Fletcher thread but won't be surprised if someone has questioned what he is doing and why he didn't turn the game around. :lol:
Honestly I didn't expect us to beat City so no point in saying anything about the match except we lost to a better team.

As for Fletcher yes I do question as to what he is doing. What Ole needs is a very good experienced coach who has a bit of experience in coaching. Not another newbie. This is looking like an old boys club. The exact thing which happened in Liverpool before. Ole knows everything about what United is. So does Carrick and Phelan. He doesn't need to bring another old boy who has no experience.

Lentwood

I think what most posters fail to take into account is that for the past 6/7 years (arguably longer than that) City have been a better side than us and have generally had the better of us in Derby matches.

Sure, we have beaten City at times in the league but only really by parking two buses and playing on the counter. The only time I remember us actually outplaying City post-SAF was when we beat them 4-2 at OT under Louis van Gaal.

Last night, we didn’t park the bus and we actually took the game to the City as equals. OK, we were undone by a deflected set-piece and a the defeat was confirmed close to the end by a great strike from a 2nd set piece. Clearly there are still rough edges to be ironed out.

My point is though, we took the game to City, who themselves played very well, and it was a largely even game. That for me is far more promising for the future than approaching the game as the weaker side, having 20% possession, facing 25 shots and scraping a 0-1 on the counter.

rollingstoned1

well tbh since i'm glass half full i'd rather we lose to city in the semi than Spurs in the final with mou over there. Ideally we would just throw all the cups and play our reserves/out of favor players in it if not those who need the game time. i can see this being an issue throught the rest of this season, going far enough into the competitions and being tempted to gamble with strong teams because you don't want to feel like you missed an opportunity to win something but going out anyway like last year in the EL.

Red00012

I’m not a top red but I’m always pissed off if we win . Ask my partner she can tell whether we won , lost or draw by opening the door and looking at me :lol:

quirkey

well tbh since i'm glass half full i'd rather we lose to city in the semi than Spurs in the final with mou over there. Ideally we would just throw all the cups and play our reserves/out of favor players in it if not those who need the game time. i can see this being an issue throught the rest of this season, going far enough into the competitions and being tempted to gamble with strong teams because you don't want to feel like you missed an opportunity to win something but going out anyway like last year in the EL.
Wow. That’s some loser attitude, you’d rather lose in the semi rather than potentially lose in the final to a manager you don’t like?

rotherham_red

I think what most posters fail to take into account is that for the past 6/7 years (arguably longer than that) City have been a better side than us and have generally had the better of us in Derby matches.

Sure, we have beaten City at times in the league but only really by parking two buses and playing on the counter. The only time I remember us actually outplaying City post-SAF was when we beat them 4-2 at OT under Louis van Gaal.

Last night, we didn’t park the bus and we actually took the game to the City as equals. OK, we were undone by a deflected set-piece and a the defeat was confirmed close to the end by a great strike from a 2nd set piece. Clearly there are still rough edges to be ironed out.

My point is though, we took the game to City, who themselves played very well, and it was a largely even game. That for me is far more promising for the future than approaching the game as the weaker side, having 20% possession, facing 25 shots and scraping a 0-1 on the counter.
Spot on. It's a world of difference between the 3-1 in the cup last year and yesterday. Last year was embarrassing as the chasm between the two teams was so far and wide apart. It was a much more even contest this time round. Our time will come, I'm sure, but we aren't quite there just yet.

I only feel a tinge of regret as it made me think how we might have been if Ole was able to get the players he wanted this past summer. Imagine Upamecano instead of Lindelof. Sancho and Rashford on the left + right, etc...

rollingstoned1

Wow. That’s some loser attitude, you’d rather lose in the semi rather than potentially lose in the final to a manager you don’t like?
if i had to choose. i'm not saying i wanted us to lose yday. my 'loser' attitude doesn't rub off on the team thankfully.