Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm currently watching the latest series of Slow Horses, Shetland, Murder at the End of the World and Fargo, all of which are enjoyable enough. I just finished the second series of Time which was a decent watch if not exactly uplifting.

kundalini

Bulgarian series Devil's Throat on 4 Channel 4 (Walter Presents) is silly but enjoyable. It's a murder mystery that has twists and turns all the way through its 12 episodes. I enjoyed it.
I watched that when it first appeared on Walter Presents. I've watched a huge number of Walter shows but lost my enthusiasm in the summer; think I needed a change. They rarely seem to get mentioned on here.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Murder at the End of the World
Currently halfway through the second episode and struggling to get into this at the moment, which is annoying me as I loved the creators' last show (The OA).

Was it just me or did it seem painfully obvious that the murder was faked at the end of episode 1?

SparkedIntoLife

I watched that when it first appeared on Walter Presents. I've watched a huge number of Walter shows but lost my enthusiasm in the summer; think I needed a change. They rarely seem to get mentioned on here.
Any other Walter Presents recommendations? I’m currently watching Marnow Murders (German) which seems ok so far.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Currently halfway through the second episode and struggling to get into this at the moment, which is annoying me as I loved the creators' last show (The OA).

Was it just me or did it seem painfully obvious that the murder was faked at the end of episode 1?
It crossed my mind at the time but 4 episodes in it seems no more (or less) likely.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I finished Blue Eye Samurai yesterday - what a great show. Is this anime? If it is, it's the first anime show I've seen and I loved it.

Would love to get some recommendations of similar shows (real or anime) set in the Shogunate period / feudal Japan.

Castia

I finished Blue Eye Samurai yesterday - what a great show. Is this anime? If it is, it's the first anime show I've seen and I loved it.

Would love to get some recommendations of similar shows (real or anime) set in the Shogunate period / feudal Japan.
I have no interest in anime it’s not my cup of tea but I’ve seen a few people mention this show so might check it out

Ahmer Baig

If you are interested in historical fiction, do check out Vinland Saga, set against the backdrop Viking rule of UK.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The main actor annoys me so I have avoided it.
Agree. Her voice alone almost made me quit Orange Is the New Black multiple times.

Her Old Navy adverts are like fingernails along a chalkboard.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Just started The Recruit on Netflix.
2 episodes in and yeah it’s a bit of a push to be credible but still enjoyable entertainment for a weeknight.

My elderly FIL prefers spy/action/war so it fits the bill nicely.
My ratings system for him is “two eyes open”, instead of “2 thumbs up”.

Roosney

Oh no, Hugh Grant :houllier: Hope he does well and won't spoil the series.

Watching Six Feet Under at the moment. Midway thru season 2 and it's getting worse and worse to the point I might give up on it.
I know it's a "feel good" series and not to be taken too seriously but some of the scenes and storylines are just plain silly they're hard to overlook.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Starting a rewatch of 'Five Days at Memorial' tonight, no doubt it will be as emotional as the first go 'round.

I cannot recommend this miniseries highly enough.

kundalini

Any other Walter Presents recommendations? I’m currently watching Marnow Murders (German) which seems ok so far.
I watched that one.

These ones are fairly recent, as in last 2, possibly 3, years. After a certain length of time, shows tend to disappear from
Walter, though it can vary. The following Walter shows are all B+ to A (The Wire, West Wing, Sopranos, Narcos, Borgen, Spiral etc would be A+)

The Hunter (A, about the prosecutors hunting mafia crime bosses), several seasons, all good

Faking Hitler (B+, about the fictitious Hitler Diaries) - based on a true story, light

Four Strangers (not sure if B+ or A-) - think it is not going to be available to watch for much longer as it's on the leaving soon list

When The Dust Settles (A-)

The Twelve (A, about a Belgian jury panel during a trial) - might be my top recommendation as it offers a different perspective to most TV

The Defence (B+, Polish charismatic, alcoholic, female lawyer Chilka and her assistant), several seasons. I like it so watched all available.

Don't Leave Me (B) - shows a different side to Venice, plot feels slightly unsatisfactory, suppose that's true of most tv drama.

Astrid (Murder in Paris) - Young woman with Asbergers (or similar) works in Criminal documents department, solves crimes in partnership with female detective. Different to the Bridge (Swedish) but similar in that the best element is the relationship between Saga/Martin (Bridge) and Astrid/Raphaelle.

All The Sins (B+) - detectives try to uncover the truth in somewhat disturbing religious community in northern Finland. Several seasons.

The Truth Will Out - from memory season 1 (B+), is better than season 2, (B-) detective handed team consisting of misfits, makes use of their individual talents to solve case

Stockholm Requiem (B, possibly B+, can't recall) - decent

Code 37 Sex Crimes (B+) is different to your typical detective series. Belgian series solving sex crimes. Fairly light. Several seasons. Enjoyed it enough to watch all.

Rebecka Martinsson Arctic Crimes has spectacular scenery. Preferred the original actress

Gold Diggers (B+, Russian series) - I find that I tend to learn something from my first or second say Russian/Polish/Chilean series, compared to 80th french, 25th Swedish etc

Red Light is good but subject matter I found depressing/bleak. Focuses on 3 women: female detective, prostitute and wife.

Deutschland 83/86/89 (A-) - light but very enjoyable

The Team series 1 (A-) is good but series 2 is at best average (B-), possibly worse than that (C), A bit like Interpol, one Belgian, one Danish, one German detective work together

Inspector Borowski (A- or B+ early seasons, storylines in most recent season were awful, though still like the main characters) - amazed it is still available to watch

Rest of shows I've watched that are currently available on UK Walter with approx rating: The Wall (C), Top Dog (B), Spiral of Lies (B-), Grow (B), A Familiar Stranger (B), The Adulterer (B+ female star is gorgeous, perhaps a B rating if you don't find her so hot), Snow Angels (B it's good but subject matter is bleak), Vanished By The Lake and others (Fear, Killer) in the By The Lake series (B), Nordic Murders (B with original actress, C after she left, though I gave up within a few episodes after the change), Monster (B), Arctic Circle (B), Outlier (B-, maybe C), Box 21 (B- though struggling to recall it), Mountain Rescue (C), Witch Hunt (B), Partisan 1st season (B), 2nd perhaps (B-), Disturbing Disappearances (B-), Lolita Lobosco (B, light, similar feel to female version of Inspector Montelbano though different location), Time is a Killer (C), The Crimson Rivers (B to B+, quite a few seasons, watched them all), The Wagner Method (B-), Torn (C), Redemption (B-), Dark Rivers (B), Dark Woods (B), Floodland (B), Blackout (B), Inner Circle (B, possibly B+, political drama), Mobile 101 (B), Sacha (B, another bleak subject), Sisterhood (B-), Sins of the Fathers (B), Angel of Death (B-, didn't fancy watching 2nd season), The Pleasure Principle (B), The Blood Pact (B-, think I lost interest after watching first 2 series), Actor (B, worth considering if want something different), Exterior Night (B+, another that stands out from most modern TV), Inside (B), Mafia Only Kills In Summer (B+ light). What Pauline Is Not Telling You (B), I Killed My Husband (B), Inside (B). My brother watched Seaside Hotel first season, possibly 2nd series too, seemed to think it was quite light but fine/ok/easy viewing so perhaps (B or possibly B+). I gave up on Ice Cold Murders: Rocco Schiavone towards the end of the first season though other people seem to like it.

Not sure if these older ones (B+ to A rating) are still available (can't see them on the UK version of Walter, other countries that have Walter typically have a slightly different set of shows): Bad Banks (1 + 2), The Cleaning Lady (cleans up crime scenes paid by criminal gang), Fugitives (spectacular Chilean series), Black Widow (dutch female crime boss). Best ever Walter series was Magnifica 70 season 1 but season 2 was rubbish. Blue Eyes, Spin, Locked Up, the Border, Mafiosa (female crime boss), the Outlaws (original Belgian dark comedy, since remade by Apple as the Sisters), Professor T (Belgian version, since remade by ITV but not watched that version), Before We Die (Swedish version, since remade by Channel 4 but not watched that version, supposedly nowhere near as good), The Swingers varies in quality across lots of seasons (since remade by Channel 4 as the Neighbours, currently showing but I've only watched a few mins). The Lawyer. Also watched another 100+ Walter series no longer available in UK that were mostly B- to B, though a few C, even a couple of Ds.

There are tons of B to B+ type series on Walter but very few A+. Huge number of detective shows, Scandinavian drama, French/Belgian/Dutch series, 90 mins German detective shows from the long running Tatort brand. I liked Italian detective series Thou Shalt Not Kill (probably because the main actress is gorgeous in an understated way in this role - compared to her role in 1992/1993/1994).

General guide to my ratings for Walter (clearly he has done his own filtering so there shouldn't be many rubbish shows):

C don't bother, hard to understand why Walter chose this

B- might be worth considering if you like that type of drama, for example german detective, Scandi noir, political, 8 x 45 min episodes

B reasonably good so long as you are comfortable watching foreign drama, check if it is your type of drama

B+ good, recommended if within your normal range

A- might be worth risking even if slightly different to what you typically watch, recommended if within your normal range

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Just got around to watching, Kin (BBC iplayer). What a series!
Its really good but they made a mistake casting Gillen in the role he was in. He being the main protagonist early in Love Hate made it hard to see him as a different character person in a somewhat identical role

kundalini

Wow, that's excellent. Thanks @kundalini. I'll look into these.

Speaking of foreign shows, I echo earlier shout outs for Lupin. Really fun.
I watched all of Lupin a month or so ago. Enjoyed the first season most. I like the main actor. He was in the film Untouchable, I saw a few years ago. Finally figured out that his ex-wife was in Mesrine (2008 film), The New Pope and The Young Pope (on Sky Atlantic), recognised her but couldn't recall so looked on imdb.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Halo (2022)

Pretty decent sci-fi show to watch. Despite a formulaic plot, the show moves at a fast pace, has lots of good action and a relatable cast.

Good popcorn entertainer to watch when bored.

7/10
Yeah, it probably helps having a sentimental attachment to the game and The Wire but I enjoyed it well enough.