Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Sweet Square

Copenhagen Cowboy

Incredibly beautiful looking and have no idea what it was about or if it made any sense. Also brilliant cameo performance from a certain someone.

10/10

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I Hate Suzie Too

Just finished watching this. Only three episodes. Probably need to watch first season first. Pitch black humour and completely compelling central performance from Billie Piper (who is a hell of a good dancer). Also more than a bit nuts. Well worth a watch.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anybody watched Shantaram?

2cents

Scout
I haaaaated the book. So annoying the way the main character is presented as this un-flawed super cool dude. That could get very old, very quick, on screen.
I liked the book ok, but yeah the protagonist was easily the worst character. Haven’t heard much about this series though.

2cents

Scout
Hated probably a bit strong but I had high hopes and yer man pissed me off from very early on, which I found impossible to get over.
I read it quite stoned in a guest house in India, some of it rang true to the foreigner experience in that country, enough to get me through it. The fecking philosophy, Wildean dialogue, and superhero antics were very cringy. Still may give this a chance though, there’s a story there if they can cut that stuff out.

Sylar

Yeah she was really good, kind of felt the same but Bu-Jeong is growing on me. The actress playing her is starting to have those similar interactions.
Season two was fantastic. If it ends there I'm happy cos it had a good ending and was done well. Enjoyed it a lot.

Trying a few more korean shows now

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Another Apple miniseries that looks commendable. Apple really can’t do no wrong these days imo. Comes out mid February…

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Brief mention for 'The Rig' on Amazon prime. I'm 2/6 episodes in, no idea what the hell is happening but it's a decent mystery, little bit of sci fi, bit of a thriller. It ticks the few episodes box as well.
I am half-way through and enjoying it. Would have been a decent Dr Who story in my opinion, although they'd need to drop some of the f'ing and jeffing.

Andersons Dietician

Season two was fantastic. If it ends there I'm happy cos it had a good ending and was done well. Enjoyed it a lot.

Trying a few more korean shows now
I looked to see if there was possibly a 3rd season and seemingly it’s quite rare that Korean shows ever even get a 2nd season. It’s common practice that a story is told within the one season. So Given that I think it’s done. It did seem to wrap up everything. That last episode started off brilliant, didn’t quite sustain it for me but the call back to the closing the door with the relics had me.

If you haven’t watched it yet ‘My Name‘ is brilliant. I’m watching astonishing attorney Woo. It seems quite good, worth a watch.

Sylar

I looked to see if there was possibly a 3rd season and seemingly it’s quite rare that Korean shows ever even get a 2nd season. It’s common practice that a story is told within the one season. So Given that I think it’s done. It did seem to wrap up everything. That last episode started off brilliant, didn’t quite sustain it for me but the call back to the closing the door with the relics had me.

If you haven’t watched it yet ‘My Name‘ is brilliant. I’m watching astonishing attorney Woo. It seems quite good, worth a watch.
I've watched half of my name
My wife thought it was too gruesome :lol: so I'll continue on my own but enjoying so far (four EPs in)

Interesting about the number of seasons. Probably why season two became ten episodes

Sweet Square

10/10 sounds a tad exaggerated...
Gave it a few more extra points due to a late appearance by someone. But really it what’s a tv show should be…..giving a director a ton of money and hours to come up with a vibe.

There’s no really character development and the plot makes no sense but there isn’t anything as interesting as this on Netflix.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Just started watching For All Mankind. Decent thus far. Penny from Lost is in it and she will always be Penny from Lost to me.

Roosney

Copenhagen Cowboy

Incredibly beautiful looking and have no idea what it was about or if it made any sense. Also brilliant cameo performance from a certain someone.

10/10
I really liked this too, Twin Peaks meets Stranger Things vibes here.

At some points it got a bit dragging and felt like filler material but a strong 9/10 from me as well.

Who is this "certain someone"? A caf member?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Copenhagen Cowboy

10/10
How far on the Refn scale is it? Bearable, there-is-still-substance-despite-being-mostly-style side of the scale, or full blown artsy pretentious Refn shit? I won't judge you if it's the latter and you still enjoyed it :D

At some points it got a bit dragging and felt like filler material but a strong 9/10 from me as well.

Who is this "certain someone"? A caf member?
Yeah it's obviously @R.N7

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Watching the Taylor Sheridan double bill of Yellowstone and Tulsa King at the moment. Both excellent.
I used to love Yellowstone but it drops off a cliff after season three. Sheridan does loads of spin-offs and it feels like he's just riding off the popularity rather than bothering to close out the story. It's a shame.

You should watch Mayor of Easttown if you like them. Another quality show by him.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I used to love Yellowstone but it drops off a cliff after season three. Sheridan does loads of spin-offs and it feels like he's just riding off the popularity rather than bothering to close out the story. It's a shame.

You should watch Mayor of Easttown if you like them. Another quality show by him.
That's sad to hear. I'm on the last episode of season 1.

Sweet Square

Tbh I’ve only seen a few episodes of Strangers Things but agree with on the Twin Peaks example. Copenhagen Cowboy is very clearly a show that is the vision of one person. It isn’t worried or that interested in the audience, which makes it so different to 90% of tv that is produced.

Who is this "certain someone"?
Kojima!

How far on the Refn scale is it? Bearable, there-is-still-substance-despite-being-mostly-style side of the scale, or full blown artsy pretentious Refn shit? I won't judge you if it's the latter and you still enjoyed it :D
Oh it’s fully on the Only God Forgives scale. The main character almost never talks, some characters make pig noises for no explained reason, laser sound effects when punches are thrown and it’s mostly all very beautiful shots of people staring into the distance. Almost viewed its as Refn trying to make an old Dario Argento movie.

What it does have in common with most of Refn other works, is that it really nails the petty criminal elements. There’s a grossness and dirty vibe to the world and characters are cold, unforgiving but also incredibly stupid and backwards but there’s also maybe weird witch stuff going on.

The one downside was that Refn seem to have got addicted to slowly spinning the camera around a room, which made me feel a bit ill.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Also if anyone is planning to watch Copenhagen Cowboy, watch it in the original Danish with English subtitles. The English dubbed version is awful looking.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Just started The Americans. Seems very dated already, although I think that's in-part a deliberate choice by the director. Really enjoying it, 3 episodes in.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Think you’re mixing two different shows there! Mare of Easttown or Mayor of Kingstown!

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

I think you mean Mayor of Kingstown?

Mare of Easttown is another HBO Show that is also really good.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Oh it’s fully on the Only God Forgives scale. The main character almost never talks, some characters make pig noises for no explained reason, laser sound effects when punches are thrown and it’s mostly all very beautiful shots of people staring into the distance. Almost viewed its as Refn trying to make an old Dario Argento movie.

What it does have in common with most of Refn other works, is that it really nails the petty criminal elements. There’s a grossness and dirty vibe to the world and characters are cold, unforgiving but also incredibly stupid and backwards but there’s also maybe weird witch stuff going on.
Eurgh, that's quite the mixed bag review... I still feel I should give it a try though, when you're not raving about the latest Marvel film you tend to have decent taste.
Also if anyone is planning to watch Copenhagen Cowboy, watch it in the original Danish with English subtitles. The English dubbed version is awful looking.

What do you take us for, philistines?