Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

I love themes.
Brilliant scene, one of the best in television history. Everything with that police Captain is outstanding, his little passion Christ scene is brilliant as well. I love that show. Want rewatch it now!

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Just started watching the Chinese version of The Three-Body Problem which is becoming available with fansubs on Viki. Only about 20 mins in but it's looking good and I've heard its much better than version Netflix is producing. Any fans of the novels should check this out:
https://www.viki.com/tv/39255c-three-body

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
How could anyone possibly know this.
I don't think people can know for sure, but there are people involved in production that have some idea. I think some of it comes from when Americans have adapted Asian movies in the past and their adapted version have been left wanting compared to the original. The Ring compared to Ringu is one example and the US version of Oldboy was crap compared to the original Korean version. The author himself has said this:
"Liu has repeatedly turned down offers from James Cameron, explaining that The Three-Body Problem violates the fundamental principle of "black and white themes" present in Hollywood science fiction films."
which I think is a fair criticism of how mainstream Hollywood often tends to adapt movies and dumb them down to the lowest common denominator.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The fact that the author said that, and then sold the rights to Netflix anyway, implies that either the television series will not have "black and white themes", or that he was full of shit.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think she's lovely and can totally understand why she wouldn't give a shite about him finding candy wrappers in the soil, especially several years into the relationship.

(also she's not entirely dismissive, she joins certain of their events and feigns the right level of interest I think)

It's a lovely little show btw, thanks for those who recommended it!
I finished it recently and really enjoyed it. Nice understated show with some moving moments. The bromance between Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones works perfectly.

I was surprised to see Terry from this show in a random character of a His Dark Materials episode though :lol:

SirAnderson

It was indeed set-up for a following season and it has been cancelled but not due to low viewership or quality or anything like that. The Network that produced it (Cinemax) decided to move away from creating Original series and unfortunately for Jett, that announcement came before it had been renewed, which is a shame because Jett is really fecking good.

Fan and critic response was really good, so Carla Gugino said that she would try to get another network or streaming platform to pick it up - but nothing has come from it so far

with all the nonsense these streaming platforms make, you'd think they'd want to pick up an ACTUAL good show, but alas
That's so disappointing to hear.

I really do hope it is eventually picked up, but I'm surprised to have only heard of this for the first time. Has it come up in this thread 2 years ago? Probably, but point is if there is not a lot of fan pressure it's going to be tough to get a season 2.

Regardless, that seems to be the norm these days, shite shows get 10 to 15 seasons, while the good ones get canned way too soon.

Roosney

Ive had a shocker recently with new shows, they've all been so bad I quit watching a few episodes in. The peripheral, the rig - both really bad. Dissapointing really as I had high hopes for the periphral. Tulsa king started off great but I got bored after 6 episodes.

Never seen true detective but sounds like its a good show so i'll start watching that today.
True Detective all seasons have different cast and plot so basically separate shoes, and like it's been said many times here the first one is incredibly good.

kundalini

Marie Antoinette (BBC i-player)

Perhaps not as good as Versailles (also shown on BBC 2) but still interesting. I thought the actress that played Marie Antoinette was very impressive, though her husband was terribly dull. Last episode is rubbish.

Last edited:

SirAnderson

everyone should watch Jett:

Just finished this now and would definitely recommend it.
Keeps you interested in the story development and characters. Bit far fetched with some aspects, but still enjoyable.

Can't believe this was the first time it's come up in this thread since being released in 2019.

Last point about not being renewed is that the ending was at least satisfying enough despite it clearly being setup for a season 2.

Don Juan Matus

Almost finished season 1 of Joe Pickett, absolutely brilliant show.
It's a neo-western series with Ozark vibes which gets darker with each episode, highly recommended.
Didn't think I was gonna like it when I read the synopsis on wiki but it sucked me in, very watchable.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Almost finished season 1 of Joe Picket, absolutely brilliant show.
It's a neo-western series with Ozark vibes which gets darker with each episode, highly recommended.
Didn't think I was gonna like it when I read the synopsis on wiki but it sucked me in, very watchable.
Thanks for posting this! I had not heard of this show but I read your neo-western description and I already watched the first episode. Definitely hooked.

sepulturite

Myself and my other half watched the first eight episodes of Bad Sisters earlier, would definitely recommend it so far. Very dark humour at times which we both love, and the story and acting are great.

A word of caution though for anyone who's ever been through any kind of psychological abuse in a relationship or anything, because it can be very tough to watch with the way one of the main characters is in it. My sister went through it so I did find it hard at times.

But in saying that it is a great show, far fetched for sure at times, but it is a dark comedy/drama so it works. I'll update this post when we've watched the last two episodes.

Edit: So we watched the last two episodes and yeh it's brilliant, would definitely recommend watching it. Last episode was very good, mixed drama and comedy very well.

Last edited:

arthurka

The war on football is interesting.
PS Perez is not very likable.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ages ago I saw someone suggest that Natasha Lyonne would make a good Columbo if they ever remade that series. Having seen a bit of Poker Face, I get it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ages ago I saw someone suggest that Natasha Lyonne would make a good Columbo if they ever remade that series. Having seen a bit of Poker Face, I get it.
Not sure why but she really annoys me.

I've avoided Poker Face for this reason.

SirAnderson

I'll be interested in your take when you are finished.
Just finished this today.

Took me almost a month. The episodes didn't really get me wanting to watch the next immediately.

I didn't really like Amber's character so wasn't so invested in seeing if she would be rescued or not. The last 3 or so episodes were much more gripping.
Also found the journalist irrating.
I did love the action and the brother and husband though, they were solid. Loved the alcoholic binge part with the brother befriending the fisherman :lol: .Ending was a bit weird for me, not sure exactly what to make of it really.

SirAnderson

Almost finished season 1 of Joe Pickett, absolutely brilliant show.
Going to start this today, on your recommendation.
Sounds interesting, hoping it's great.

Edit: couldn't get through the first episode. Will try again another time :nervous: :wenger:

Last edited:

kundalini

Domina (Sky box sets)

I struggled for a bit when they changed actress for Livia Drusilla, as they have very different accents. However, both are impressive, especially Kasia Smutniak.

Some great scenes between Livia and Antigone.

The swearing, affairs and divorces are casually stunning.

Apparently, a 2nd season is due out later this year.

Last edited:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I started The Expanse few years ago but never got past the first 3 episodes of the first season. I thought it was too slow and not logical..boy i was wrong. I binge watched all of the 6 seasons now and this is probably the best sci-fi show i ever watched. Amazing!

Josh 76

Pepsi, where’s my jet.

On Netflix. It’s a 4 part documentary. Found it fascinating.

SirAnderson

I started The Expanse few years ago but never got past the first 3 episodes of the first season. I thought it was too slow and not logical..boy i was wrong. I binge watched all of the 6 seasons now and this is probably the best sci-fi show i ever watched. Amazing!
Yep, that's how I also got sucked in eventually. I struggled for months to get passed the first few episodes and then left it for a few years, picked it up again when the 4 season came out and it's definitely one of my best scifi shows as well.
Its the growth as well of the characters I loved.