Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Halfway through Poker Face, an episodic mystery/detective series created by Rian Johnson and starring Natasha Lyonne as a woman who can tell whenever somebody is lying. It's great. Columbo with comedy. Packed full of guest stars (Adrian Brody, Chloe Sevigny, John Ratzenberger, Benjamin Bratt, Simon Helberg and loads of other familiar faces) and it has the trademark Johnson twists and tricks with perspective. Just a super easy watch.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
At the end of season 2 of Yellowstone. fecking hell what a show.
Watching it for a second time, fantastic show, loads of great characters in it to root for as well. Most only have one person you really like but this show has multiple ones. Beth and Rip are my personal favourites.

Spoony

The People's President
For me, I finished it simply because I felt an obligation to see how it played out, but it got repetitively annoying and I literally could predict how every episode would pan out and it was a case of just seeing how they going to do it.

Really feel like they missed a trick with it, it could have been good, but it's like a 5 or 6/10. Decent to watch if you really don't have much else to watch.
It reminds me of Veronica Mars. I've seen two episodes and I'm not sure I can be arsed with another.

SirAnderson

Watching it for a second time, fantastic show, loads of great characters in it to root for as well. Most only have one person you really like but this show has multiple ones. Beth and Rip are my personal favourites.
Sometimes Beth was a decking pain though, but yeah, she brings the colour to the show. I personally like Kayce. At some point I thought a decent spin off could be with him as Chief Wildlife Officer.

But yeah, great story with great characters.

decorativeed

Halfway through Poker Face, an episodic mystery/detective series created by Rian Johnson and starring Natasha Lyonne as a woman who can tell whenever somebody is lying. It's great. Columbo with comedy. Packed full of guest stars (Adrian Brody, Chloe Sevigny, John Ratzenberger, Benjamin Bratt, Simon Helberg and loads of other familiar faces) and it has the trademark Johnson twists and tricks with perspective. Just a super easy watch.
Columbo had plenty of comedy. I love both shows though, and I'm really looking forward to more episodes of Poker Face.

SparkedIntoLife

I binged Wolf on iPlayer last night (day off today). It’s by Stephen Moffat’s company and his fingerprints all over it, despite being written by Megan Gallagher. It’s fast paced, slightly zany but has genuinely creepy moments.

I predicted big aspects of the plot by episode 2 of 6 but it was still gripping and surprises were still to be found. The lead actor Ukweli Roach was excellent I felt and there were strong performances from others, especially Iwan Rheon and Juliet Stevenson.

It was a better show than Inside Man by the same company. Both were set up intriguingly but Inside Man fell flat while this one sustained the quality and interest IMHO. It didn’t go into self indulgent territory like later series of Sherlock.

Looks like it’ll be back for another series.

decorativeed

You're right, I've done Falk a disservice there. I've just got the last two PF episodes to finish tonight.
You have a bit, but I forgive you. There was that one episode where he fell down a hill for about three and a half minutes, but maybe you haven't seen that one.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Has anyone seen DARK WINDS. Based on the Tony Hillerman novels?
First season was really good. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Had a bit of a Wind River vibe. Curious what they'll do for the second season.

jem

It's been a while since I've checked in on this thread. Suggestions from recent years: Poker Face (absolutely fantastic!); Reservation Dogs (I don't think it's
as great as some do, but very good nonetheless); Winning Time (ridiculous, but very watchable)...and of course Succession, but it almost feels ridiculous recommending that one.

AaronRedDevil

I'm bingewatching Vikings and it's so good. I've seen it once before but I forgot how good the characters are. On season 3 now, can't wait to get to Paris. That was Peak Vikings.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
:lol:

haha, watched that ep a couple of weeks ago. Columbo is so chilled to watch, really fond of his german dub but I really should watch the original version - usually it‘s still miles aheady

decorativeed

:lol:

haha, watched that ep a couple of weeks ago. Columbo is so chilled to watch, really fond of his german dub but I really should watch the original version - usually it‘s still miles aheady
Of the top of my head it's from the episode that involves a cigar case? But yeah, it has a few stinkers in the original run, but it is a great show. I haven't watched many of the second run, as I'd presumed they were all shite, but apparently there are still some good ones from the 90s.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Of the top of my head it's from the episode that involves a cigar case? But yeah, it has a few stinkers in the original run, but it is a great show. I haven't watched many of the second run, as I'd presumed they were all shite, but apparently there are still some good ones from the 90s.
A bomb in a cigar case, yea.

We have our box auto-record the episodes which run on two different channels. One is shite and rapes the 4:3 aspect ratio into widescreen which should be a criminal offence imho (unwatchable). Not saying I'm a Columbo expert, watched it religiously as a young teen though so it now got that retro kick, and I agree that the newer ones don't look that great but I believe it's mostly down to a new dub voice which kills the momentum.

decorativeed

A bomb in a cigar case, yea.

We have our box auto-record the episodes which run on two different channels. One is shite and rapes the 4:3 aspect ratio into widescreen which should be a criminal offence imho (unwatchable). Not saying I'm a Columbo expert, watched it religiously as a young teen though so it now got that retro kick, and I agree that the newer ones don't look that great but I believe it's mostly down to a new dub voice which kills the momentum.
I thought it was that one. Great ending.

And I agree about aspect ratios. How can people prefer a stretched image to black bars at the side!?

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I thought it was that one. Great ending.

And I agree about aspect ratios. How can people prefer a stretched image to black bars at the side!?
Probably quite funny if one's stoned but other than that I can see no good reason. Think I could manually change the aspect ratio on my telly to adjust to that, not sure that would help but I think so, but that's already too inconvenient. :lol:

Man, now that I'm writing about it I think I'll check out the pilot in OV. About time.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The Bear on Disney is brilliant. Rave reviews are absolutely justified
I'm really enjoying the 2nd season. The 1st season was OK, I just found it a little repetitive with bear and cousin always shouting then a musical montage to finish off every episode.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Just finished season 2. Definitely keeps trending upwards in quality.
I wish I could erase my memory and start all over again. Clean state.

You wont regret watching next 4 season. Its bloody brilliant. And ending without giving away any spoilers, is probably the best ever of any TV show.

Sylar

In fact, not ashamed to say I even thoroughly enjoyed Amazon's Citadel
Watched this and enjoyed it. It's light though it was easy to predict the main twists if you've watched any TV before. But that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable.
Ive enjoyed madden in most shows I've seen him in

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
My wife hates footies. She loves The English Game. I guess it's a goodish show, but I can't be arsed.

She watches while I fiddle.

With my FPL side.
I hated that show. Felt like a historical paint by numbers by people who didn't know anything about football and clearly didn't particularly like football.
Big thanks to everyone recommending The Shield. Just finished season 1. Quality.
Oh man, it just keeps getting better and better. Frantic pacing that show.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
A bit late to this, but finished watching Mare of Easttown last night. Binged the show in a couple of days, and I got to say, I thought it was incredible. I will say, when it came to the murder mystery aspect of it all, I thought the show was a little cheap and manipulative at times. It felt like it was constantly playing the "gotcha" card by pointing the finger at someone, only to reveal that they had nothing to do with it...or did they? But they would do this A LOT, and I know that's the genre we're working in here, but I thought that aspect was a little overbearing at times.

But the main appeal of the show was the characters. They managed to create this incredibly real and believable world. Kate Winslet was amazing, as was basically everyone on the show. I just loved spending time in their company, and could have easily spent another few seasons with them. Whilst the surroundings and some of the personal drama was obviously bleak, it was also very funny at times, and was never too saccharine or forced; they balanced the tone so well. It was serious when it needed to be, and It could be incredibly touching, but It was never manipulative. And that levity was always there.

It was so well realised in this aspect, that the murder mystery became the least interesting thing about the show. But yeah, great series.

I'm currently watching The Bear. I'm on episode 6. I got to say, it's really not doing it for m at all. I don't get the hype. I may stick with it, or just bin it. I'm in no rush to watch another episode yet.

Anustart89

For those of you with kids who are going mental with your children wanting to watch Paw Patrol and other dumb stuff that the kids learn nothing from, I can warmly recommend that you nudge them in the direction of Bluey. It's an Australian animated kids show about a family of dogs with many jokes appreciated by adults. Some episodes are funny, some give you inspiration for new games with the kids and some hit you right in the gut, like this one below. My girlfriend and I find ourselves watching some of the episodes after the three-year old's gone to bed :wenger:

Available on Disney+ and, ehrm, other sites

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A bit late to this, but finished watching Mare of Easttown last night. Binged the show in a couple of days, and I got to say, I thought it was incredible. I will say, when it came to the murder mystery aspect of it all, I thought the show was a little cheap and manipulative at times. It felt like it was constantly playing the "gotcha" card by pointing the finger at someone, only to reveal that they had nothing to do with it...or did they? But they would do this A LOT, and I know that's the genre we're working in here, but I thought that aspect was a little overbearing at times.

But the main appeal of the show was the characters. They managed to create this incredibly real and believable world. Kate Winslet was amazing, as was basically everyone on the show. I just loved spending time in their company, and could have easily spent another few seasons with them. Whilst the surroundings and some of the personal drama was obviously bleak, it was also very funny at times, and was never too saccharine or forced; they balanced the tone so well. It was serious when it needed to be, and It could be incredibly touching, but It was never manipulative. And that levity was always there.

It was so well realised in this aspect, that the murder mystery became the least interesting thing about the show. But yeah, great series.

I'm currently watching The Bear. I'm on episode 6. I got to say, it's really not doing it for m at all. I don't get the hype. I may stick with it, or just bin it. I'm in no rush to watch another episode yet.
Just rewatched MoE as well & I thought it got better the second time around (I was a definite fan upon its release). The richness of the characters is one of its many positives.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just rewatched MoE as well & I thought it got better the second time around (I was a definite fan upon its release). The richness of the characters is one of its many positives.
Definitely a show i could watch again because, as I said, the murder mystery part is the least compelling part of it. Not that it's bad by any means (apart from the things i mentioned) but the characters, the setting, the environment, all incredible.

I would love another season just following Mare.