Other Apple Vision Pro

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Couldn't find a thread, ignore if there's already one.... So which of you has one? fecking tech nerds....

What are your thoughts?

afrocentricity

Also, anyone seen a tech nerd wearing one in the wild yet?

SirAF

Ageist
Too expensive really, it’s a few years away from being ready for the general public.
This.

That said, it seems pretty fecking cool. Imagine watching movies or TV shows on that thing :drool:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
This.

That said, it seems pretty fecking cool. Imagine watching movies or TV shows on that thing :drool:
yeah… movies or tv shows... def-in-ite-ly. woah, boy… just imagine that.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Just wait until everyone is wearing one

The world will end in 2028
i won’t care. i’ll be too busy, immersed in my perfect vr world. a sub-account credit controller in the finance team of a small, family run business. a 4/10 wife and two podgy, under achieving kids. driving around a 20 year old volvo v70 estate car, with only minimal corrosion. two family holidays to the uk coast a year in our caravan, which in all honestly we’ve outgrown. yes, sir. quite the dream.

King Eric 7

I love this thing and actually just watched that review yesterday. I can't imagine how awful it would be though if even 5% of the country eventually has one, wandering around in public waving their arms everywhere and stopping in the middle of paths. I also wonder how uncomfortable it would be to wear one on a regular basis and how it would effect your eyesight after wearing it for hours on end.

littlepeasoup

Would genuinely find it useful for productivity in a home setup bereft of the space to put a huge working monitor. Would never ever want someone else to see me wearing one though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
From multiple reviews that I've seen it looks properly amazing. Although, as it often is with new technologies, it's doesn't make sense to buy this version.

I liked this visualization for example (of a yet non-existent app). Within a few years, I'd imagine, the thing will be more compact, less reliant on the external battery and there would be tons of specialized apps (instead of the current number of ~600).

prateik

People had an issue with Google glass because they thought creeps would be recording everyone.. how is this shit going to be accepted :/
Just because its apple?

the idea is pretty cool.. lets see where it is a few gens down the line.. I really liked the idea of google glass as well.. then nothing happened for several years.

Fingeredmouse

I'm completely failing to get why anyone would want to be part of this dystopian nightmare. We don't have to actively try to create a Phil K Dick fever dream.

Zen

People had an issue with Google glass because they thought creeps would be recording everyone.. how is this shit going to be accepted :/
Just because its apple?
I'm guessing because while some are taking this out into the public to experiment.... it's not necassarily being marketed as such, nor is it built as such right now. Wasn't the first Glass video about a guy doing his daily routines out and about in New York and showing how the Glass just seamlessly integrated into it? I'm not sure this will be at that level of intended integration for a good while yet.

Also, I think generally we've just accepted being filmed a lot more over the past 10 years, especially from a background point of view.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm completely failing to get why anyone would want to be part of this dystopian nightmare. We don't have to actively try to create a Phil K Dick fever dream.
Yep, utterly bemused by it all too.
I mean, I respect the idea and the workings behind it to some degree but I look at enough screens as it is plus there's a weird shallow/cold distant vibe around it all.

We're getting lost in technology.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Same. Very little about this interests me, and in fact I find it a bit depressing that it's something people seem to want. Though I can't see it becoming more than a novelty, seeing someone with this on out in public - in its current form at least.

afrocentricity

Same. Very little about this interests me, and in fact I find it a bit depressing that it's something people seem to want. Though I can't see it becoming more than a novelty, seeing someone with this on out in public - in its current form at least.
I suspect it'll happen because people already partially shut themselves off with headphones and their mobile phones.... Recently been on a commute?

Personally I'm not interested until it's a pair of Ray-Bans but of course I'd get one. I"d have fun with it, and augment my phone (as I wouldn't need to take it out much) usage.... nothing to do with some sci fi dystopia...

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I suspect it'll happen because people already partially shut themselves off with headphones and their mobile phones.... Recently been on a commute?

Personally I'm not interested until it's a pair of Ray-Bans but of course I'd get one. I"d have fun with it, nothing to do with some sci fi dystopia....
Yeah but they're way more socially accepted, way more convenient and compact, less ridiculous looking, etc. Maybe something like this will in time become more accepted and normalised, but I'm not so sure. And a phone offers a lot of convenience over simply not having a phone - I'm not too sure what this offers over just having a phone or laptop? It's surely more interactive and novel than a laptop, but it is as robust?

afrocentricity

Yeah but they're way more socially accepted, way more convenient and compact, less ridiculous looking, etc. Maybe something like this will in time become more accepted and normalised, but I'm not so sure. And a phone offers a lot of convenience over simply not having a phone - I'm not too sure what this offers over just having a phone or laptop? It's surely more interactive and novel than a laptop, but it is as robust?
You'd have your phone still, your PC/tablet/laptop. I think replacing that won't be happening any time soon. For me it looks like an add on t your devices increasing the functionality and adding spatial consumption of media (movies, videos and games - 2D 3D AR and VR, 6 degrees of freedom for control) and control of software (multitasking, design, spatial remote control).

Not a must have but a nice to have - as Ray-Bans...

Sanche7

Even if it becomes socially acceptable to wear one in public, would you risk wearing a $3500 (starting price, pre tax) gadget out in the streets and on the subway? It's instantly recognisable and will for sure be targeted by the baddies. And even if that doesn't happen the whole thing lasts for about 2-3 hours, so you will probably need another battery ($200) and of course a carrying case ($200).

Sanche7

I love this thing and actually just watched that review yesterday. I can't imagine how awful it would be though if even 5% of the country eventually has one, wandering around in public waving their arms everywhere and stopping in the middle of paths. I also wonder how uncomfortable it would be to wear one on a regular basis and how it would effect your eyesight after wearing it for hours on end.
Agree with the effect on eyes. Our eyes are most comfortable looking at things further away. Staring at a screen mere millimeters from your eyes for hours can cause massive strain to your eyes and can give you really bad headaches. We will only know the adverse effects its going to have on your eyes after a few years but no doubt it can cause issues.