Other Apple Vision Pro

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Even if it becomes socially acceptable to wear one in public, would you risk wearing a $3500 (starting price, pre tax) gadget out in the streets and on the subway? It's instantly recognisable and will for sure be targeted by the baddies. And even if that doesn't happen the whole thing lasts for about 2-3 hours, so you will probably need another battery ($200) and of course a carrying case ($200).
I don't think that anyone is arguing that it's viable at the current stage of development (and pricing). By the time it will hypothetically become socially acceptable chances are it's going to be way more convenient to use and, well, way more affordable.

Sanche7

People had an issue with Google glass because they thought creeps would be recording everyone.. how is this shit going to be accepted :/
Just because its apple?

the idea is pretty cool.. lets see where it is a few gens down the line.. I really liked the idea of google glass as well.. then nothing happened for several years.
I think the ultimate aim is AR, with stuff laid over what you see in the real world. Google glass was ahead of its time and I feel the vision pro will eventually become something similar to the ray ban smart glasses. The verge reviewer said something similar, the vision pro is basically a VR headset and that is not really what Apple wanted to do but this is all they could do with the tech we have right now.

Sanche7

I don't think that anyone is arguing that it's viable at the current stage of development (and pricing). By the time it will hypothetically become socially acceptable chances are it's going to be way more convenient to use and, well, way more affordable.
Even if it becomes cheaper and socially acceptable, unless they are able to find proper use for it, I don't see how it's going to be a massive product line like the iPhone or iPad. The tweet above said Apple have been working on this for 15 years, yet they don't seem to have much of an idea about what it's actually useful for. Can it do some cool stuff? Sure. But is that worth $3500? Definitely not, at least IMO

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree with the effect on eyes. Our eyes are most comfortable looking at things further away. Staring at a screen mere millimeters from your eyes for hours can cause massive strain to your eyes and can give you really bad headaches. We will only know the adverse effects its going to have on your eyes after a few years but no doubt it can cause issues.
Pretty much the same as viewing your phone hours on end and reading a book. It will have the same effect... but it won't stop people?

Even if it becomes cheaper and socially acceptable, unless they are able to find proper use for it, I don't see how it's going to be a massive product line like the iPhone or iPad. The tweet above said Apple have been working on this for 15 years, yet they don't seem to have much of an idea about what it's actually useful for. Can it do some cool stuff? Sure. But is that worth $3500? Definitely not, at least IMO
This is standard Apple pricing, the going rate plus Apple tax. There will be cheaper competitors at some point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Agree with the effect on eyes. Our eyes are most comfortable looking at things further away. Staring at a screen mere millimeters from your eyes for hours can cause massive strain to your eyes and can give you really bad headaches. We will only know the adverse effects its going to have on your eyes after a few years but no doubt it can cause issues.
As far as your eyes are concerned you’re looking at stuff that is far away. They’re not focused on the screen near your face. Their focus is further away.

Sanche7

Pretty much the same as viewing your phone hours on end and reading a book. It will have the same effect... but it won't stop people?
I don't know about you, but I don't use my phone millimeters from my eyes or read a book keeping it millimeters from my eyes.

afrocentricity

As far as your eyes are concerned you’re looking at stuff that is far away. They’re not focused on the screen near your face. Their focus is further away.
Isn't it still the issue that your focus is stuck on a focal plane for long lengths of time. I know there's technology for that but I struggle to see how that turns up in Ray-Bans anytime soon...

I don't know about you, but I don't use my phone millimeters from my eyes or read a book keeping it millimeters from my eyes.
It's the lack of refocusing, see above...

Sanche7

Sorry, I didn't get you. My understanding of VR is that there is a screen inside the headset displaying videos or running apps that you look at. I don't understand how you are looking at stuff that's far away.
Edit - did some reading and I think I understand.
But there's also other side effects like constant exposure to blue light, vergence accommodation conflict, etc, which are all worse on a VR headset as opposed to a smartphone. Might not be a big issue but you never know.

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Even if it becomes socially acceptable to wear one in public, would you risk wearing a $3500 (starting price, pre tax) gadget out in the streets and on the subway? It's instantly recognisable and will for sure be targeted by the baddies.
after honing my fighting style on beat saber, i’d like to see them try.

afrocentricity

after honing my fighting style on beat saber, i’d like to see them try.
You jest, but if you throw a bunch of tech nerds and a bunch of regular nerds into a post apocalyptic or dystopian or battle royale setting......

I'd back the tech nerds...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sorry, I didn't get you. My understanding of VR is that there is a screen inside the headset displaying videos or running apps that you look at. I don't understand how you are looking at stuff that's far away.
Seen your edit. Yeah, I was just talking about whether or not you’re focussing on something nearby, which you’re not. But I agree it intuitively seems unhealthy to be so close to a light source for hours and hours. Although it is normal to have bright blue light hitting your retina during daylight hours, if someone uses this deep into night on a regular basis it probably isn’t ideal.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah it’s a bit of a pricey novelty similar to how iPhone 1 was at the time in the absence of a developed app ecosystem. Once developers start churning out highly addictive apps, many will buy one, just as many are willing to throw down a grand for a phone these days.

Castia

I’m seeing a lot of pictures of people out in public with these….feck walking around the streets with a 3-4K device strapped to my head.

Sweet Square

Doesn’t it do everything a iphone or television can already do ?

I will be surprised if it catches on as it suffers from the same issues as other VR headsets - It’s big and looks shit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Doesn’t it do everything a iphone or television can already do ?

I will be surprised if it catches on as it suffers from the same issues as other VR headsets - It’s big and looks shit.
I think it’s a lot more than what was previously thought of as VR. It’s basically a spatial computer that integrates VR, AR, and ordinary computing, gaming, film watching etc., into one device wrapped into the usual Apple “I have to have one now” marketing.

Balljy

This is standard Apple pricing, the going rate plus Apple tax. There will be cheaper competitors at some point.
Isn't there already in the Quest 3 and what it calls mixed reality? It does all the being able to watch sport on multiple screens, watch replays on a different part of the screen, and superimpose the image over your living room etc anyway. Maybe this does more I'm missing at the moment though.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm completely failing to get why anyone would want to be part of this dystopian nightmare. We don't have to actively try to create a Phil K Dick fever dream.
Tech companies have figured out that people don't see the point in buying a new phone, laptop, tablet or whatever each year, so in order to keep feeding the growth beast they've come up with something new they can sell us.

Sweet Square

I think it’s a lot more than what was previously thought of as VR. It’s basically a spatial computer that integrates VR, AR, and ordinary computing, gaming, film watching etc., into one device wrapped into the usual Apple “I have to have one now” marketing.
Cheers. I only watched the YouTube video posted and it didn’t seem great. Interesting to see if it catches on due to the Apple marketing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
i won’t care. i’ll be too busy, immersed in my perfect vr world. a sub-account credit controller in the finance team of a small, family run business. a 4/10 wife and two podgy, under achieving kids. driving around a 20 year old volvo v70 estate car, with only minimal corrosion. two family holidays to the uk coast a year in our caravan, which in all honestly we’ve outgrown. yes, sir. quite the dream.
This is how I imagine all of the other billionaires will be using this tech.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I think the ultimate aim is AR, with stuff laid over what you see in the real world. Google glass was ahead of its time and I feel the vision pro will eventually become something similar to the ray ban smart glasses. The verge reviewer said something similar, the vision pro is basically a VR headset and that is not really what Apple wanted to do but this is all they could do with the tech we have right now.
To be honest I am really concerned about the possibilities of AR combined with AI development. Even in today's world of social media it's impossible to tell which posts are written by humans and which are coming from bots. Going forward, imagine if you see the world through something like the Apple Vision - how the heck are you supposed to know what's real and what's artificially generated?

Donut

To be honest I am really concerned about the possibilities of AR combined with AI development. Even in today's world of social media it's impossible to tell which posts are written by humans and which are coming from bots. Going forward, imagine if you see the world through something like the Apple Vision - how the heck are you supposed to know what's real and what's artificially generated?
By taking off the goggles :wenger:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's annoying looking at videos and listening to people where it seems they don't realize there are already VR headsets that can do plenty of what this can do for a fraction of the price? It's just taking what others have done and putting it into the seamless Apple ecosystem.

Ofcourse it can do things better than others can, but that doesn't make it 'innovative'.

MiceOnMeth

People had an issue with Google glass because they thought creeps would be recording everyone.. how is this shit going to be accepted :/
Just because its apple?

the idea is pretty cool.. lets see where it is a few gens down the line.. I really liked the idea of google glass as well.. then nothing happened for several years.
Google glass was a decade ago wasn't it? Maybe we are all just more accepting with people potentially recording us since well that already happens everyday with everyone having a 4k recording device in there hand at all times

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
As I said in the Snapple thread: I'm not that impressed. A lot of it was already possible with other VR sets, it just does it a bit better due to more expensive hardware and better software integration with Apple s closed ecosystem. But other VR sets tried to remain a lot more affordable than this so of course there is a difference for that alone. Like 3D TV this still won't catch on until it becomes a lot more affordable, intuitive and most of all - less dorky. Using one at the home is one thing, but no one s gonna walk around with that in public except for that Sean Penn tech reviewer apparently. Wake me up when something like Google Glass or similar format is ready for prime time, or just put a chip in my head.

Hoof the ball

I picked up a couple of these. One for me, one for my nephew for doing well at Uni.

I haven't used it yet. I'll crack it open this week when I get home!

stepic

Why is everyone talking about using it in public? 99% of people will not use it in public. On a plane, maybe.

Once it gets a little lighter and doesn’t need the external battery pack in your pocket, along with dedicated apps and integration with Netflix, YouTube and especially the likes of Sky Sports, it will be pretty damn cool. The ability to just use your fingers as a controller, the integration with your laptop and phone, and the ease of switching from full immersion to ‘see-through’ are significantly better features than anything else on the market right now.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Why is everyone talking about using it in public? 99% of people will not use it in public. On a plane, maybe.

Once it gets a little lighter and doesn’t need the external battery pack in your pocket, along with dedicated apps and integration with Netflix, YouTube and especially the likes of Sky Sports, it will be pretty damn cool. The ability to just use your fingers as a controller, the integration with your laptop and phone, and the ease of switching from full immersion to ‘see-through’ are significantly better features than anything else on the market right now.
So you're saying it's not ready for mass adoption, which I agree with. I ve owned several VR headsets incl those with pass through and again, while Apple made some interesting improvements there is little more it can do than something like a Quest Pro or Quest 3 for instance. Everyone i talk to who has one or more sets have them collecting dust after a short amount of time. There isn't as much of a convenience benefit once you get past the cool gimmick aspect.

Moby

Dick
putting it into the seamless Apple ecosystem.
That's been a huge selling point for Apple for ages now, and that matters a lot for people who are already using their other products. I initially only owned a macbook, but then I switched to iPhone with one reason being that I can very easily use it along with the laptop and a lot of the interface is shared across the devices, and then it is similar for those who also use the watch. This would add to the same and that would be an advantage over other brands. Obviously a lot will just buy it because of it being Apple without needing a lot of this integration but in the end it's simplifying user experience and that's something Apple has built upon for ages now.

Moby

Dick
There's already a bunch of videos doing rounds of guys using it while walking on the street and crossing roads, while scrolling stuff in the air etc.

I can see myself falling asleep while wearing this and being on the socials.