Gaming Apple vs Epic

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah I know. They said the logo could damage their brand. Holy feck, how could anyone think that looks anything like an apple logo — it’s clearly a pear.
Apple fanboys would cause they're so stupid. I mean you'd have to be an idiot to get an iPhone over an Android phone anyway
hahalolzcomeatme

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They’re not going to get Apple to turn into an open source platform in a million years.

Siorac

They’re not going to get Apple to turn into an open source platform in a million years.
That's not quite what they're asking for. macOS isn't open source either but it allows you to install whatever you want on your Mac, you're not limited to the App Store. Their total control over iOS is one of the many reasons I'd never get an iPhone.

Untied

Worth noting that Tencent, the Chinese multi-billion dollar social media company, owns 40% of Epic, so this could entirely be geopolitics being played out through, Epic, Apple, Google, etc in response to TikTok.

Bojan11

Means no UE support for Mac which is big. Going to be interesting what Sweeney says.

Revan

Assumptionman
Apple going nuclear as expected. Cannot see this ending well for Epic.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Any idea what Epic is hoping to achieve with this? They are effectively banned from two largest mobile operating system and on Apple you can't even side load their app. It's way too much to save 30% cut.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Any idea what Epic is hoping to achieve with this? They are effectively banned from two largest mobile operating system and on Apple you can't even side load their app. It's way too much to save 30% cut.
Make Apple look bad so they can look like a hero while they're actually just wanting to be Apple.

Balljy

With their public responses they were blatantly expecting everything that's happened so far and are loading up the lawsuit for a big payout which will now include earnings from the Unreal engine as well as Fortnite - basically billions if it lasts for a long time.

I guess their thought process is that they can survive this and will be better off if they win in the courts. The funny thing is that Apple banning Unreal Engine as a development tool probably plays into their hands as it shows how closed the system is and that Apple can basically do what they want which Epic will claim is not a fair market. Whether it's enough to force the court to make Apple open up is going to be interesting.

I can see it having different results in the EU to America as the EU generally don't like closed systems (making Microsoft ask which Browser / search engine you want to use for example after an investigation).

Bojan11

Sweeney said earlier this month that Epic is not seeking a “special deal” with Apple that other iOS app makers don’t get.

But in Friday’s filing, Apple disputed that point.

“On June 30, 2020, Epic’s CEO Tim Sweeney wrote my colleagues and me an email asking for a ‘side letter’ from Apple that would create a special deal for only Epic that would fundamentally change the way in which Epic offers apps on Apple’s iOS platform,” former Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller wrote in a declaration. Schiller, whose title is now Fellow, runs Apple’s App Store.

Apple said Sweeney was asking permission for Epic to bypass in-app purchases and allow Fortnite players to pay it directly. Schiller said that Sweeney emailed him the morning that Forntite changed its payment mechanism saying that it “will not longer adhere to Apple’s payment processing restrictions.”

Epic has asked for a temporary restraining order that would place Fortnite back on the App Store. A hearing on that order is scheduled for Monday in the Northern District of California.

“In the wake of its own voluntary actions, Epic now seeks emergency relief. But the ‘emergency’ is entirely of Epic’s own making,” Apple’s lawyers said in the filing.

Apple says that if Epic were to remove the payment mechanism it introduced, it would allow Fortnite to return to the App Store, and would not disable Epic’s developer account. If Epic were to lose its Apple developer accounts, it would not only be unable to publish Fortnite for iPhones, but it would also hamper the development of the Unreal Engine, software that helps programmers make games, and is used in hundreds of apps from many other companies.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/21/app...-side-deal-for-fortnite.html?__source=twitter

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He also said he did not know if the App Store made a profit, telling the court Apple did not break down the figures.

Facing questions about the level of profit the App Store generates from the 30% commission it takes on sales, he said: "We don't have a separate profit and loss statement for the App Store."

Instead, he said that he had a "feeling" that it was profitable - but could not share figures with the court.
:lol: I bet they make 10’s of millions from it but it’s still practically a rounding error for Apple.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
:lol: I bet they make 10’s of millions from it but it’s still practically a rounding error for Apple.
I think I saw another BBC article saying lifetime net profits were estimated at $30bn!

They've made $100m revenue from Fortnite alone apparently.

Balljy

That's unbelievable. As if Apple don't know the revenue coming from the app store. To be fair the maths is difficult, 30% of total income via app store minus labour and overhead costs. I can see why they can't say it to the court...I know it's not that simple,