Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-T

If you had to demolish your house and sack the previous builder cause he fecked it up, would you appoint a builder that's still in essence at college learning his trade who had already failed his first exam?
I think I'd be less likely to keep trying the rebuild with the same rotten timbers and defective bricks.

Hopefully even the student would recognise that.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Woodward and the entire structure above the manager has been the issue since SAF left. Until we have a upper management that are subject matter experts in football we are going nowhere. The sad thing is Ed doesnt care because according to him "we dont need to win titles to make money".
True, and the most amazing thing about Ed Woodward is that he is still in charge despite him turning the best team in England into a joke, and making us a laughing stock in the transfer market. I hope he gets run over by one of his godamn sponsors and I do not mean the coffee sponsor.

Litch

Its astonishing that even when its clear the players are not good enough, people still want yet another manager, who hasn't even had an opportunity to buy ONE player. There is also some irony because these fans will then criticize the board for making poor football decisions!

I do not know whether Ole will be a success or a failure, but absolutely no one can have an valid argument for saying, at this moment in time, that it is a mistake to appoint him.

Funny, this is pretty much what a lot of fans are saying regarding playing the youth players now like Laird, Greenword, Chong, Gomes and co from now on, even though, using your analogy, they are "in college learning the trade". Yet when a new manager arrives, no, he needs experience. This despite the fact that we've had three previous managers who have had plenty of experience and all three haven't done a good job.

Look people, this is NOT about trying to be right or wrong. Its just about giving a manager an opportunity to have a few transfer windows to see what he can do. You may be right. I may be right. Its irrelevant. What is important though is you don't hire someone, and then fire them, without giving them any opportunity to change anything.
I hear you and time will tell. I'm sure Ole has the makings to be a great manager, just like I said, it's a massive gamble the biggest club in the world appointing a manager from a club from below even our championship. Less experience and success than Ste Bruce who wouldn't even get an interview to manage this club if Ole was sacked tmw.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Worst run since I was born 38 fecking years ago. It’s lunacy to place all of the blame on to the players. We look tactically clueless. That’s on the manager.

Aloysius's Back 3

Ole came in & we played the best game of football in the time where he said " I want the players to play freely the way they want".

The longer he stayed the more our performances deteriorated.

Now that's either down to the players not being able to handle Ole's type of football - or that's because ole is implementing his poor tactics more and more and this is causing an inability to our whole squad.

I don't care about the loss but it's ultimately the element of control of a match that this United can show even if they lose matches.

That is not happening & these players are looking like they are playing with no tactics whatsoever.

I saw the same bunch of players clearly play possession based football.&i saw the same bunch of players playing park the bus & counter.

What are people seeing with Ole exactly? I see most of our squad sitting back against some really weak teams and having the minimal ability or understanding of what to do when they have the ball at their feet.

Yes the players are to blame but the last 2 PL games we have looked like relegation candidates & no matter how bad these players are - this should not be happening.

I hope Ole proves me wrong but he is more and more looking like the right DOF than the manager that should coach these players. The players look lost on the pitch & this may be linked to them trying to persue the needs of a manager with limited tactics.

Again, hopefully I'm wrong.

Litch

I think I'd be less likely to keep trying the rebuild with the same rotten timbers and defective bricks.

Hopefully even the student would recognise that.
Agree but there's a big difference in recognising that and having the knowledge and experience to recognise the pitfalls in having to fix them. Ole is going to be a great manager but for me it's the right appointment but at the wrong time.

Chillosophy

Not having a structured transfer and footballing structure for the past 6 years was a mistake

Litch

Ole came in & we played the best game of football in the time where he said " I want the players to play freely the way they want".

The longer he stayed the more our performances deteriorated.

Now that's either down to the players not being able to handle Ole's type of football - or that's because ole is implementing his poor tactics more and more and this is causing an inability to our whole squad.

I don't care about the loss but it's ultimately the element of control of a match that this United can show even if they lose matches.

That is not happening & these players are looking like they are playing with no tactics whatsoever.

I saw the same bunch of players clearly play possession based football.&i saw the same bunch of players playing park the bus & counter.

What are people seeing with Ole exactly? I see most of our squad sitting back against some really weak teams and having the minimal ability or understanding of what to do when they have the ball at their feet.

Yes the players are to blame but the last 2 PL games we have looked like relegation candidates & no matter how bad these players are - this should not be happening.

I hope Ole proves me wrong but he is more and more looking like the right DOF than the manager that should coach these players. The players look lost on the pitch & this may be linked to them trying to persue the needs of a manager with limited tactics.

Again, hopefully I'm wrong.
I hear you. I first started to worry when I seen how late he responded with subs. Then the nature of the subs. Then the idea of offering players most agree have had there chance, extended contracts. The worrying thing about today's is even after half time, he still didn't get a response from the players.

Morpheus 7

Ed should bite the bullet and sack him now in order to save him the trouble of doing so in November. 6 defeats in 8 is unprecedented in it's awfulness. It's becoming increasingly clear that he hasn't got a clue how to turn the tide. United need a new manager and staff with a clear vision how to play progressive football.

A few months later and it's like Mourinho never left:

Still faffing about with the defense (is he really the man to shore up this defense?)
Still playing the same formation
Still willing to give the deadwood more chances
Still shunting Rashford to the wing
Still putting Matic straight back into the team
Still calling out the players in the press
Still talking about the past
Still negative

At least Mourinho would have had them fired up to come back from a losing position once in a while.
Moan, moan, moan, look at the time you created the thread. Fecking Jokers in here, Ole is the only positive thing from the shit situation we find ourselves in.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Ole cares about United and he will quit if he feels he cannot do the job. The problem right now is the owners who are running the club into the ground. Oh, and also people who keep buying the shirts so long as the current owners remain.
Ole will do whatever it takes to keep the job. He was happy to follow the Glazers orders. He wasn't bothered about a mass exodus on Friday when he gave his speech saying everyone will get a second chance in pre-season.

Right now? They've been a thorn in our side since the very beginning. They are clueless parasites who treat us like their cashcow. They have no real interest in challenging. We are all being taken for fools by them. I never hear a peep from GNev/media about this though.

The fans who have their heads buried in the sand and give blind faith are the worst. If he keeps getting outclassed by other managers, then we can't be afraid to make big decisions. If we have to be ruthless and get rid of Ole soon too then so be it.

Ban

And putting blind faith in someone who's past experience is managing in the Norwegian league is not even more mental? Someone mentioned it before, would you be as optimistic if we appointed Steve Bruce/Mark Hughes instead? I'm sure they 'get United' too.

It's not even just that though, he's getting shown up on a regular basis now. Shown up by Nuno Espirito Santo twice in one week. Embarrassed by Marco Silva today. Pellegrini easily had the better of him last week too. Each passing week, he's looking increasingly out of his depth. You cannot ignore this.

I wish someone could tell me what Ole has actually changed on the pitch? We look no different to when Mourinho was here. In fact, i would argue it's even worse. At least, he would actually attempt to change things during the match.

Why does everyone just assume that Ole is even capable of rebuilding us? It's the height of delusion to me.
Yeah if only the manager who didn't have a proper preseason and a transfer window is the problem. Only thing that got 'shown up' is that manager isn't the problem right now. Thinking that is mental.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Ole will do whatever it takes to keep the job. He was happy to follow the Glazers orders. He wasn't bothered about a mass exodus on Friday when he gave his speech saying everyone will get a second chance in pre-season.

Right now? They've been a thorn in our side since the very beginning. They are clueless parasites who treat us like their cashcow. They have no real interest in challenging. We are all being taken for fools by them. I never hear a peep from GNev/media about this though.

The fans who have their heads buried in the sand and give blind faith are the worst. If he keeps getting outclassed by other managers, then we can't be afraid to make big decisions. If we have to be ruthless and get rid of Ole soon too then so be it.
It does not matter who comes in. The main problem will still be the owners, as long as the commercial side is operating they will be happy. WE could win Jack shit for 30 years but if the money keeps coming in the owners will be happy as feck. If you think otherwise you have been fooled.

ti vu

I have a feeling Woody and the board will massively regret the decision to give Ole the long term contract too early leading to them being restrictive when it comes to transfer decisions this summer.
We might be on the way to lose another 2 seasons before the real rebuilding job can start under whoever might finally be considered the right manager.
It's the other way around. Ole may be the one who regrets it. Even Mike fecking Phelan didn't commit his future. Even rumored to be outspoken about issue at the club. An interim assistant manager. Think about it.

And no, the one who hold the purse has more say in transfer issue. It's not OGS.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It does not matter who comes in. The main problem will still be the owners, as long as the commercial side is operating they will be happy. WE could win Jack shit for 30 years but if the money keeps coming in the owners will be happy as feck. If you think otherwise you have been fooled.
What makes you think I don't understand their true motives?

So in essence, you've given up and are not bothered that we have handed the reigns to a rookie manager out of their depth? How is that acceptable?

Ban

It's the other way around. Ole may be the one who regrets it. Even Mike fecking Phelan didn't commit rumor to be outspoken about issue at the club. An interim assistant manager. Think about it.

And no, the one who hold the purse has more say in transfer issue. It's not OGS.
This. LVG and Jose may be hated here (or just Jose) but both said the clubs structure is a mess, now even Phelan doesn't want to commit. It's a clear pattern.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Sack Ole, bring in Paul Ince as caretaker. It’s the only way.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Yeah if only the manager who didn't have a proper preseason and a transfer window is the problem. Only thing that got 'shown up' is that manager isn't the problem right now. Thinking that is mental.
But he is becoming a problem though. If other managers are consistently getting the better of him every week... If we carry on seeing no sign of progress on the pitch, then I believe he doesn't deserve the chance to have a transfer window and pre-season before we judge him.

He wouldn't be the first to be removed after a few months.

To carry on burying our heads in the sand, that is completely insane to me.

You must be deluded if you think he's performed fine this past month.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
What makes you think I don't understand their true motives?

So in essence, you've given up and are not bothered that we have handed the reigns to a rookie manager out of their depth? How is that acceptable?
I have not given up, I am just worried that the people who own the club see winning trophies as not so important and see getting money as the main aim. They have already told us that that is their main aim.

Ban

But he is becoming a problem though. If other managers are consistently getting the better of him every week... If we carry on seeing no sign of progress on the pitch, then I believe he doesn't deserve the chance to have a transfer window and pre-season before we judge him.

He wouldn't be the first to be removed after a few months.

To carry on burying our heads in the sand, that is completely insane to me.

You must be deluded if you think he's performed fine this past month.
Yeah I guess we can change the manager and see if it goes. I mean it's not that we tried that already and that many problems we are witnessing right now haven't already occurred before. He does deserve a transfer window and a good one. Insisting on just changing managers without looking at the bigger picture is burying your head in the sand.
To think some were afraid fans won't turn on him cause he's a legend. It sounds so funny right now given how quickly fans turned on him, at least here.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It's funny because I know you were being sarcastic, but basically yes, plenty of coaches could've had a good CL campaign with this current Ajax squad. Peter Bosz made a Europa League final with a squad that player for player had slightly less talent just two years ago.

Frank de Boer before that beat teams like Barcelona, PSG and Manchester City in the group phase of the CL with a squad that cost maybe 25% of their current squad, deploying attacking players who literally weren't even Championship level players. Think of names like Siem de Jong, Tobias Sana, Derek Boerrigter, they knocked City completely out of Europe one year.

Frank de Boer is also the most succesful Ajax manager since Louis van Gaal, and by the way look at how those two performed in England if you want some indication of what it would - probably - be like for Ten Hag.

For what it's worth I'm sure your man Poch based on what he's showed at Spurs could've won the league with City's team last year as well. And Klopp could've done a fine job at Tottenham had he he signed for them instead, and I'm sure Guardiola would've done very well at Liverpool if he'd had the same financial backing Klopp had for that matter. All clearly good managers who know what they're doing, all of them also have better squads than United over the last two years imo.
We have no evidence that they would have. Their are teams that has much better players and supposedly better managers than Ajax in the champions league, but they are not in the semifinals. So, I don’t believe those other managers would have gotten this team playing the way they are and in the semifinals. Getting in the final of Europa League Final is not as accomplishing as getting into a champion league semifinals. And when you see the teams Ajax faced to the path to that final, I would be surprised if they didn’t make it. So comparing that accomplishment isn’t that great compared to the current one under Erik Ten Hag. On Frank De Boer and LVG unsuccessful spells at England, Ten Hag, has a different philosophy to them. It is not like he will follow a similar approach to them, so we can’t indicate whether Ten Hag would be successful based on their accomplishments here in England. Poch, Klopp and Pep are great managers, so they would have had similar level of influence wherever they go.

SteveW

Klopp finished 8 in his first season. Solskjaer has comfortably outperformed everyone barring Liverpool and City since he took over. He's done great with an unfit injury hit squad. Proper supporters would get behind him

Tom Van Persie

No relation
United fans calling Ole a 'yes man' to the Glazers are so clueless. Is this the same Ole who publicly spoke out against the Glazers taking over the club? The same Ole who has been a patron of the Manchester United supporters trust for years? Ole is United through and through. He wants United back at the top as much as anyone. No way he'll roll over and accept mediocrity just to please the Glazers. He'll be pushing the board to spend money this summer and rebuild the right way.

Habs

I don’t think it all comes down to the managers having the balls to do it here, the glazers, Woodward and board don’t have the ability or will to do it.
We’ve been awful in transfer dealings with these in charge.
We needed to sign a proper midfielder or two to replace scholes, Keane for a decade. We’ve needed a proper right winger/7 for 10 years too. And we don’t know how to move dead wood on.
The glazers have turned us into a shell of a club.
You're right that the board and Ed have a lot of responsibility to sort this mess out. I'm just hoping that Ole is able to see what the fans are seeing and is able to force their hand, after all if anyone can it's a club legend who is loved by the fans. I just worry with what I've seen from him recently, his persistence with the likes of Young/Lingard/Rashford when it's clear they're not doing anything, and his substitutions have also been really poor too.

I really hope he doesn't keep too many of the current players around, because if he does, it's going to cost him his job early into the season.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I have not given up, I am just worried that the people who own the club see winning trophies as not so important and see getting money as the main aim. They have already told us that that is their main aim.
I don't know what to say to you. They 100% don't care about trophies. They only invest enough to secure top 4 for the stability it brings. They buy 1 (2 max) marquee players for the commercials and to 'appear relevant'. I love Pogba but why do you think they were so eager to keep him? It wasn't for his football skills that's for sure.

They don't see the return of investment to go from top 4 to competing to be worth the risk. They would love to see Ole consistently achieve top 4 on a shoestring budget.

We've been sold down the river. I don't see how we get out of this but it doesn't mean I'm going to just accept any old manager in spite of all this.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Klopp finished 8 in his first season. Solskjaer has comfortably outperformed everyone barring Liverpool and City since he took over. He's done great with an unfit injury hit squad. Proper supporters would get behind him

Absolute nonsense. You do realise we've lost 6 of our last 8 matches. During his time here We've been dumped out of cups and the top 4 race. He's outperformed nobody.

mark_a

The biggest error was having no plan to make January changes. The squad is horrendous and Ole's bright start papered over that.

That being said, I don't understand the logic in giving him the contract so early. It's not like he was going anywhere.
Yep, this. It made no sense. They needed to keep things as they were. Unless his permanence was to get things moving for contracts and summer planning, though I have a bad feeling that the planning isn’t as far on as it should be. There’s so little evidence from the club that they know what they’re doing.

It’s obvious which players can’t deliver, non-delivering players won’t get you anywhere (or maybe 6th!), could be that Ole is the man to do what 2012 SAF, Moyes, LvG and Mourinho couldn’t do, namely have a bloody clearout!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Ed should bite the bullet and sack him now in order to save him the trouble of doing so in November. 6 defeats in 8 is unprecedented in it's awfulness. It's becoming increasingly clear that he hasn't got a clue how to turn the tide. United need a new manager and staff with a clear vision how to play progressive football.

A few months later and it's like Mourinho never left:

Still faffing about with the defense (is he really the man to shore up this defense?)
Still playing the same formation
Still willing to give the deadwood more chances
Still shunting Rashford to the wing
Still putting Matic straight back into the team
Still calling out the players in the press
Still talking about the past
Still negative

At least Mourinho would have had them fired up to come back from a losing position once in a while.
Surely a troll thread? I think it is clear, more than ever, that the football players contracted to this club are the number one issue and not the manager.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Our owners want cash and the y want it now, buy no feckin United shirts.
I don't know what to say to you. They 100% don't care about trophies. They only invest enough to secure top 4 for the stability it brings. They buy 1 (2 max) marquee players for the commercials and to 'appear relevant'. I love Pogba but why do you think they were so eager to keep him? It wasn't for his football skills that's for sure.

They don't see the return of investment to go from top 4 to competing to be worth the risk. They would love to see Ole consistently achieve top 4 on a shoestring budget.

We've been sold down the river. I don't see how we get out of this but it doesn't mean I'm going to just accept any old manager in spite of all this.
They do not care about trophies. Success for them is making a profit, they are not football people. They are business people, if United win Champions league and they lose out on cash then the season was a flop. If United play like shit and the profits are coming in then it was a great season. WE need to shake off these idiots like a dog shakes off shit.

ash_86

When we have players failing under 4 different managers then you don't have to look farther for where the problem lies . You don't have to be tactically spot on to get a win againt everton . Againt top6 and good teams in CL yes but not against fecking Everton and West ham and wolves .

If our players go to these games and get out classed in ever department, then the players are 1) not good enough 2) don't care to perform for the shirt 3) don't want to be at the club.

The only way to stop the spread of rot is to sell a whole bunch of these players and set a example to the team on the standards required . At this point we can bring what ever manager but the result is going to be similar . I'll judge Ole on how ruthless he will be during the summer .

lex talionis

I'm still in the camp that says our players are below the standard required. My evidence?

Young, Smalling, Jones, Darmian, Rojo, Valencia (effectively retired), Matic, Mata, Lukaku, Lingard, Sanchez and Martial come to mind.

Rashford is still young but looks a very decent prospect. McTominay is a respectable prospect as well but his ceiling isn't that high.

De Gea and Pogba are undeniably world class, but there's only so much they can do.

RuudTom83

Nah, Ole will finally see the end of this sorry group of players. He will compare them the the great players from the past and know who isn’t up for the challenge.

The matchday fans won’t turn on Ole either, the players have nowhere else to hide.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Nah, Ole will finally see the end of this sorry group of players. He will compare them the the great players from the past and know who isn’t up for the challenge.

The matchday fans won’t turn on Ole either, the players have nowhere else to hide.
Ole is fine and good, but we still have the small problem with the actual owners of the club., or in other words our main problem.

ravi2

I am 100% behind Ole, However his tenure is doomed unless the structure of how the club is run changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.