Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulli_G

I don't think Ole is as good as Klopp tactically all honestly.
I don't his tactics have been bad, just he's been let down by the players, either missing chances, defensive and keeper bloopers. How can fans give the last 3 a chance and now we get someone who understands us, want to get rid without giving him a chance. Pochetino would have been more of a yes man. Ole if he is not backed will walk, that's the type of man he is. Pochetino not so much.

Skills

Snitch
I think that is unfair. Fans have no impact on the decisions of the club, and being emotional and romantic is just part of the essence of being a fan of a football club. You take that away and we have no reason to follow any of these big money clubs. If you do a cold analysis on a lot of clubs you'll mostly find a cold business, with suspect owners etc. Not something you'd normally stand behind. Romanticism is all we've got.

SAF gave his recommendation, media did their part and finally Woodward appointed Solskjaer. The only thing the fans is guilty of is being happy with the results and performances of that initial period that got him the job. Every fan of the club deserved to be happy in that period.
Nope this is bullshit. The fans have a huge influence on the clubs decisions - it's the case at every club. Liverpool appointed Dalglish under similar circumstances a few years ago.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Nope this is bullshit. The fans have a huge influence on the clubs decisions - it's the case at every club. Liverpool appointed Dalglish under similar circumstances a few years ago.
I supposed it can be bullshit. You may view it differently but I'm of the understanding that media influences people and not so much the other way around. That is another topic all-together but I really think that is unfair on fans. I highly doubt a fully functioning board with a plan would re-think their strategy purely because of idiotic opinions from fans. Fans are going to be fans, it is not their fault a board have no plan and are easily swayed by media agendas, popular opinion and makes decision based largely on public image. Yeah, Clubs sometimes do this, but it is because of desperation and lack of vision not because fans of these clubs are idiotic.

Some Liverpool fans even turned on Klopp a while back because they were just used to bad appointments and had a reaction ready when a tough period happened. Some United-fans and unbiased fans, might even have thought at the time those who did that were the sensible Liverpool fans, and the romantic ones always blindly backing the manager were the silly ones. That looks a bit different today. In the end, my point is it doesn't matter that much. It is up to the board to find the right manager and trust him, and their duty in fact to not be affected by media and fans who may base their opinion on similarities with different historic events or are just purely guessing based on emotion or a newfound perceived lack of emotion.

Cloud7

Pochetino would have been more of a yes man. Ole if he is not backed will walk, that's the type of man he is. Pochetino not so much.
What exactly is this based on? Leaving the discussion of the theme of this thread aside, why do you say that Pochettino is a yes man, and especially why do you say that Ole will walk if he isn’t backed? How on earth do you know that’s the type of man he is?

Revaulx

I supposed it can be bullshit. You may view it differently but I'm of the understanding that media influences people and not so much the other way around. That is another topic all-together but I really think that is unfair on fans. I highly doubt a fully functioning board with a plan would re-think their strategy purely because of idiotic opinions from fans. Fans are going to be fans, it is not their fault a board have no plan and are easily swayed by media agendas, popular opinion and makes decision based largely on public image. Yeah, Clubs sometimes do this, but it is because of desperation and lack of vision not because fans of these clubs are idiotic.

Some Liverpool fans even turned on Klopp a while back because they were just used to bad appointments and had a reaction ready when a tough period happened. Some United-fans and unbiased fans, might even have thought at the time those who did that were the sensible Liverpool fans, and the romantic ones always blindly backing the manager were the silly ones. That looks a bit different today. In the end, my point is it doesn't matter that much. It is up to the board to find the right manager and trust him, and their duty in fact to not be affected by media and fans who may base their opinion on similarities with different historic events or are just purely guessing based on emotion or a newfound perceived lack of emotion.
Well absolutely.

The United Board has done nothing to indicate that this is the way it behaves though. It seems to base its decisions entirely on emotion and popular pressure. Woodward is about as far from the stereotypical cold blooded, ruthless investment banker as it’s possible to be. The circumstances around the appointment of Ole, in direct contradiction to the original stated plan, is the latest example of this. The apparent intention to surround him with yet more “legends” is a sign that there’s more to come.

simplyared

I see Ole as someone learning his trade. We brought him to the club as a short term sollution and to put the smiles back on the fans faces. The mistake was signing him up for the long haul, not for bringing him in as caretaker.

gulli_G

What exactly is this based on? Leaving the discussion of the theme of this thread aside, why do you say that Pochettino is a yes man, and especially why do you say that Ole will walk if he isn’t backed? How on earth do you know that’s the type of man he is?
Just basing it on the fact that after Pochetino not getting in even a single player he didn't kick up a fuss or walk, even after Madrid option was open at various times last year. I could be wrong and maybe he was waiting the United job. But judging him at how he was at previous clubs, I doubt you would see him complaining or leaving due to a lack of structure or backing by the glazers.

Regarding, Ole, he loves the club and judging about the way he talks in the public and the fact that he has said he will not fail. I just have a very strong feeling that if he feels the upper management is a hindrance, he will leave.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

I still can't believe that Woodward thinks that it's a sensible strategy employing an inexperience manager in top tier football and put him in charge of one of the biggest/most difficult rebuild in the history of world football.

Enough is enough. Woodward has been mismanaging us so badly and this is taking us to another new low altogether. :mad::mad:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Just basing it on the fact that after Pochetino not getting in even a single player he didn't kick up a fuss or walk, even after Madrid option was open at various times last year. I could be wrong and maybe he was waiting the United job. But judging him at how he was at previous clubs, I doubt you would see him complaining or leaving due to a lack of structure or backing by the glazers.

Regarding, Ole, he loves the club and judging about the way he talks in the public and the fact that he has said he will not fail. I just have a very strong feeling that if he feels the upper management is a hindrance, he will leave.
You're wrong on all counts. Obviously he wasn't "waiting for the United job". And Pochettino didn't kick up a fuss about the lack of signings in the last two windows because (a) the long-term project at Spurs is one that he signed-up for, knowing full well from Levy that the stadium costs would restrict transfer budgets; and (b) he is part of the transfer committee at Spurs that decides on who to buy or sell and what max. price to offer … and no player is bought or sold without his agreement.

Pochettino would never come to United without total control over the squad and without knowing - and agreeing with - the long-term strategy.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
We might as well get a

Appointing Moyes was a big mistake!
Appointing Van Gaal was a big mistake!
Appointing Mourinho was a big mistake!

thread.

Give Ole at least a decent transfer window ffs and the 19-20 chance.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I see Ole as someone learning his trade. We brought him to the club as a short term sollution and to put the smiles back on the fans faces. The mistake was signing him up for the long haul, not for bringing him in as caretaker.
Indeed. If Pochettino was (and I say if) our preferred option then that is who we should have moved heaven and earth to get.
I have to say that I find it difficult to believe that Ole was the number one choice.

He would command far more respect for our underperforming players and most importantly he knows how to build a team fit for the modern game.
Elite clubs require elite managers. That much is absolutely clear.

sp_107

At least Ole's name was discussed in today's parliament session

Jeremy Corbyn said: ‘In view of the amazing performance of Liverpool last night, perhaps the Prime Minister could take some tips from Jurgen Klopp on how to get a good result in Europe.’

Mrs May hit back: "I actually think that when we look at the Liverpool win over Barcelona last night, what it actually shows is that when everyone says it's all over, that your European opposition has got you beat, the clock's ticking down, it's time to concede defeat - actually we can still secure success if everyone comes together."

Labour's Justin Madders joked that the PM could also get "tips from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Pep Guardiola about getting out of Europe in April".

Negative Red

It's funny how Ole was a genius when we were winning. We were scoring goals and looking good initially. We kept in tight and played counter attack football in games when we needed to, much like Sir Alex used to. The players have clearly stopped playing for him (Don't ask me why). There are no guarantees that any other manager would do any better. We have tried big name managers and that clearly didn't work. Give the man a chance to build his own team or until Christmas at least!

77Steve

Something that Gary Neville said the other night during his rant has stuck with me.

It’s the fact that Ole, Mike Phelan and Michael Carrick have been involved with the club during some of the highest of highs and are more emotionally invested than any other manager and coaching set ups that we’ve had post Sir Alex.

Yes, Ole is inexperienced and I’m not saying he is the right man for the job right off the bat but, if we are to have a clear out and bearing in mind Phelan stays, surely we can’t question what they’d give for the club and have that as very good basis and starting point.

Reactions: nimic

Celoti23-81

Something that Gary Neville said the other night during his rant has stuck with me.

It’s the fact that Ole, Mike Phelan and Michael Carrick have been involved with the club during some of the highest of highs and are more emotionally invested than any other manager and coaching set ups that we’ve had post Sir Alex.

Yes, Ole is inexperienced and I’m not saying he is the right man for the job right off the bat but, if we are to have a clear out and bearing in mind Phelan stays, surely we can’t question what they’d give for the club and have that as very good basis and starting point.
Like Solari did at Real Madrid and Gattuso is doing at Milan you mean? You can't give jobs on sentiment. Our football was dire with Phelan as no.2 under SAF. I clearly remember people couldn't wait to see if Moyes could bring us a better brand of football compared to the “past it” SAF.

Truth of the matter, there has been no real thought process into the managers we have hired. We should have offered Giggs the job there and then after Moyes was sacked, no difference in that and hiring Ole now.

Moyes was the Chosen one, got sacked, got LVG, an experienced manager cause Moyes was too inexperienced, and the board didn't want to make the same mistake again. Then we get Mourinho, experienced winner who clearly didn't fit the ID of the club. Now we have gone back to an inexperienced manager, who nobody knows what his philosophy is. And from what I hear, his 2nd stint at Molde didn't go that well!

Watch this space, Ten Haag, Ajax manager will be at barca next season, and we will be persevering till February with Ole. Of course I want him to succeed, but I just don't see it. He live too much in the past!

Reactions: nimic

BlueHaze

My biggest concern is that he is content with dross like Jones, Smalling, Young etc. Two of these three got extensions with Ole at helm. I have no doubt these are going to feature plenty of games next season and to be quite frank I'm baffled how he could get rid of Fellaini while at the same time think these lot are good enough for us. If he's happy to field these type of players I dread to think of what type of players he'll bring in.

Wishe

Where did Klopp finish with Liverpool in hes first season? Get a grip people.

ForestRGoinUp

My biggest concern is that he is content with dross like Jones, Smalling, Young etc. Two of these three got extensions with Ole at helm. I have no doubt these are going to feature plenty of games next season and to be quite frank I'm baffled how he could get rid of Fellaini while at the same time think these lot are good enough for us. If he's happy to field these type of players I dread to think of what type of players he'll bring in.
Considering the players likely to leave, these 3 are likely to share the armband next year.

That is a concern, for sure, but I think the biggest one has to be if he is anywhere near good enough as a coach to build a team AND develop a ton of players.

dove

Where did Klopp finish with Liverpool in hes first season? Get a grip people.
I constantly see people mentioning Klopp's first season and I just can't understand what does it have to do with anything. One has pretty much built a Bundesliga winning team, playing some of the best football in Europe while another one... I am not even sure to be fair.

Lee565

Is there something to the fact that the team were playing better before Solskjear actually became more and more hands on of implementing his style on the team, he said that when he arrived as caretaker that Carrick and McKenna were the ones more hands on whilst Solskjear was settling in and we saw a dramatic dip in form when Solskjear got the job on a full time basis?

ForestRGoinUp

Is there something to the fact that the team were playing better before Solskjear actually became more and more hands on of implementing his style on the team, he said that when he arrived as caretaker that Carrick and McKenna were the ones more hands on whilst Solskjear was settling in and we saw a dramatic dip in form when Solskjear got the job on a full time basis?
Looking more and more likely.

Theonas

Scout
If they appointed him on the basis of that run in the beginning of the year, then it is a monumental mistake and even if he works out, it would be stroke of luck. If they appointed him on the basis of what his ideas are for how we should play and that those ideas have been communicated in a way that makes the board confident of his ability to implement them, then it's not a mistake at all even if he fails. From our position, we will never really know but from how this board has been operating, it's safe to suggest that they just wanted to make a popular decision to please the fans. They might still get away with it but it hardly inspires confidence.

wolvored

We might as well get a

thread.

How about Appointing the manager after Ole was a big mistake! as well. Get them all done at the same time.

soapythecat

Does anyone have a snapshot or precis of what he achieved at Molde? Because all I seem to find is league tables and nothing suggesting the style of play he implemented there and what his transfer dealings were like.
As it stands, I just see Ole as a club legend who has won the biggest lottery out there and is managing a club based on getting Cardiff relegated and being the cheapest option for the board.

Aloysius's Back 3

He even said that the first few games the players were able to play freely as long as they work hard and press. They did that well. The longer he has stayed - the more time he had to implement his tactics and he is looking like he doesn't have the ability.

It's interesting you talk about Carrick. Just as a pure philosophical aspect of football - I think defenders and midfielders make the best managers usually due to the type of football they have had to play as well - trying to balance the attacking football game with the defensive aspect of the game as well - usually done with the cohesion of the midfield as well.

Pep-midfielder
Klopp - defender
Conte - midfielder
Zidane - midfielder
Pochettino - defender
Simeone - midfielder/defender
Allegri - midfielder
Tuchel - defender
Mourinho - midfielder
Ancelotti-midfielder
Rijkaard - Defender/ midfielder

One of the only few managerial legends I have found who was a forward is actually SAF!

Is this a coincidence? Im not sure it is. Now there is talk about Xabi Alonso looking like a great manager in the future too.

So it wouldn't surprise me if one day we see Carrick or Butt do well here maybe on an interim role of their own - atleast better than Ole.

wolvored

The common denominator - They were all bought Fergie. He wants to become Fergie mkII

MrBest

We might as well get a

thread.

Not sure relegation is an option

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
At least Ole's name was discussed in today's parliament session

Jeremy Corbyn said: ‘In view of the amazing performance of Liverpool last night, perhaps the Prime Minister could take some tips from Jurgen Klopp on how to get a good result in Europe.’

Mrs May hit back: "I actually think that when we look at the Liverpool win over Barcelona last night, what it actually shows is that when everyone says it's all over, that your European opposition has got you beat, the clock's ticking down, it's time to concede defeat - actually we can still secure success if everyone comes together."

Labour's Justin Madders joked that the PM could also get "tips from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Pep Guardiola about getting out of Europe in April".
Just about sums up our politicians.
They should be collectively ashamed of themselves.
They are a disgrace.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He even said that the first few games the players were able to play freely as long as they work hard and press. They did that well. The longer he has stayed - the more time he had to implement his tactics and he is looking like he doesn't have the ability.

It's interesting you talk about Carrick. Just as a pure philosophical aspect of football - I think defenders and midfielders make the best managers usually due to the type of football they have had to play as well - trying to balance the attacking football game with the defensive aspect of the game as well - usually done with the cohesion of the midfield as well.

Pep-midfielder
Klopp - defender
Conte - midfielder
Zidane - midfielder
Pochettino - defender
Allegri - midfielder
Tuchel - defender
Mourinho - midfielder
Ancelotti-midfielder

One of the only few managerial legends I have found who was a forward is actually SAF!

Is this a coincidence? Im not sure it is. Now there is talk about Xabi Alonso looking like a great manager in the future too.

So it wouldn't surprise me if one day we see Carrick or Butt do well here maybe on an interim role of their own - atleast better than Ole.
You have forgotten Gareth Southgate - defender.
For what he has achieved with England he most certainly deserves to be part of that list.
He should also be our number one target for the next United manager, assuming we have decided not to pursue Pochettino.

Gandalf

There is nothing to suggest he has even the faintest of clues tactically.
But he will do it the United way and refer to SAF as Gaffer throughout, so we’re golden.
This is such a lazy, half assed criticism. If you can be bothered to look there are plenty of articles and youtube videos dedicated to an analysis of his tactics at Molde. To distill it all down into a message board soundbite his preferred way of playing is with a high press utilizing full backs in advanced positions and fast, hard working attacking players. Very generic description but if you think that sounds a lot like the way Klopp sets out his teams you would not be far wrong. Ole also showed in the Europa League that he could adapt his tactics to play against more talented teams and still get positive results.

If you are wondering what the results of his coaching are all I can say is in 2010 Molde barely avoided relegation, In 2011 under Ole they won their first ever league title and defended it in 2012. The team was more inconsistent in 2013 but still won the Norwegian Cup. You may not like Ole, your comments seem to suggest that you don't, but he clearly knows a lot more about tactics than you or any other keyboard warrior taking a dump on him on these boards. You haven't truly seen an Ole team yet because the shower of shite assembled by Woody is not capable of playing the way he wants without being totally gassed after 15 minutes.

NWRed

Pep-midfielder
Klopp - defender
Conte - midfielder
Zidane - midfielder
Pochettino - defender
Allegri - midfielder
Tuchel - defender
Mourinho - midfielder
Ancelotti-midfielder

So apart from possibly the greatest manager of all time, successful managers were midfielders or defenders?

Ole was best as an impact sub, which required him to sit on the bench and analyse the opposition defence to look for weaknesses when he came on. He was also outstanding on the right wing when beckham was dropped before he left at the wnd of 02/03 and would have stayed there but for serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.