Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patience

If you are not willing to back Ole over a long period, you're better off going to sleep for the next couple of years.

or at least shut the f*ck up moaning.

This is a long-term appointment. It will take time.

All the moaners would have sacked Busby in 1950 and Sir Alex in 1990 - no doubt about it. They also would have sacked Jurgen Klopp from Anfield after his first season.

We tried quick fixes.. It DOES NOT WORK!!! We go again, building slowly. This is a great baseline squad which will be added to over the next two summers to turn into a great team.

Chill the f*ck out.

Some of you make being a Man Utd fan really insufferable.

Eddy_JukeZ

There is a middle ground between thinking another manager would do better and being happy with Ole. If OGS cannot be held responsible in some regard for a defeat at home vs Crystal Palace, what's his role then ?
People keep talking about how the one common denominator for our failure lately is Woodward and not the 4 different managers.

Well, maybe we've hired 4 poor managers too. It can be both.

Red_toad

Does anyone believe that another manager would do better? This team is the weakest since Fergie left.

Rashford and Martial are expected to bang in at least 50 goals between them for us to compete which is something the haven't done.
McTominay is expected to be a regular this year and there are question marks about whether he is good enough.

the depth of this side if everything goes tits up makes me wanna cry. I don't think Poch or even Fergie could make this team work.
McTommy was once again one of our better players, he’s certainly performing to a high standard on a regular basis. Not sure what he has to do to prove anything. Some will always relate him to being Jose’ chosen child, but Jose was actually right, he’s a talent.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People keep talking about how the one common denominator for our failure lately is Woodward and not the 4 different managers.

I feel in general we look for simple answers, like we wanna narrow down a complicated problem to a single cause. A lot of different things aren't right at the moment at Man United

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Summer was middling in terms of the players we brought in. We signed quality, but not enough of it. Despite the disappointment and the frustration in what was a lackluster performance, it's fair to say we've been the better team in all three games. Add in a quality midfielder, a creative attacking midfielder or a right winger, and we would've had 3 wins from 3.

Eddy_JukeZ

I feel in general we look for simple answers, like we wanna narrow down a complicated problem to a single cause. A lot of different things aren't right at the moment at Man United
Pretty much.

There has never been 1 singular main problem at the club.

It's a myriad of things.

The owners, Woodward, the managers we've appointed, certain players, etc.

SteveW

If you are not willing to back Ole over a long period, you're better off going to sleep for the next couple of years.

All the moaners would have sacked Busby in 1950 and Sir Alex in 1990 - no doubt about it. They also would have sacked Jurgen Klopp from Anfield after his first season.

We tried quick fixes.. It DOES NOT WORK!!! We go again, building slowly. This is a great baseline squad which will be added to over the next two summers to turn into a great team.

Chill the f*ck out.

Agreed.

haram

Chill the f*ck out.

Long term plan with someone who has not even proven they can manage 1 season at this level. Klopp won a fecking Bundesliga title.

Bojan11

Chill the f*ck out.

Stop comparing him to Klopp and Sir Alex.

Both of them built successful teams in competitive leagues before they arrived in English football. Sir Alex stopped the old firm domination. Klopp turned Dortmund into champions. What’s ole done to be compared to them? Won the league with Molde. Give me a break.

Uniquim

Chill the f*ck out.

I'm on board with what you're saying. Solskjaer's football so far have been a refreshing change of pace. Fitness is up 50% from the previous off-season, will be even better next year, every new signing this summer have done well, and reports are that Solskjaer is trying to improve the culture behind the scenes as well, even down to the pasta bar.

I really really want Solskjaer to stay on for the foreseeable future. I think we'll keep steadily improving over the next few transfer windows, and I think he's exactly what the club needs. I just wish we'd gotten 1-2 more players in this summer, so there were more options off the bench, so we could have a greater impact with substitutions.

SteveW

Summer was middling in terms of the players we brought in. We signed quality, but not enough of it. Despite the disappointment and the frustration in what was a lackluster performance, it's fair to say we've been the better team in all three games. Add in a quality midfielder, a creative attacking midfielder or a right winger, and we would've had 3 wins from 3.
Score a couple of pens and we'd have probably won all 3 and be top of the league.

The summer was middling but the 3 we've signed look like really good additions. If his judgement is going to be this good going forward our future should be bright.

Idxomer

Deep down we all know it was. His approach to management and coaching is simply "What would Fergie do" the only problem with that is you have to be SAF for those methods to work and clearly he isn't Sir Alex.

I try not to criticise him too much because the bald cnut offered him the job and Ole would be crazy not to accept. Top managers aren't a secret, you don't find elite club managers in the Norwegian league in their mid 40s.
Agree with that. Trying to emulate SAF is a fool man's errand. The man after all was only one of the most charismatic and probably the strongest character football had ever seen in management.

Eddy_JukeZ

Chill the f*ck out.

You would have let Moyes see out his contract.

If it's failing, it's failing.

Time doesn't automatically grant you success.

And lolz at comparing Klopp and Sir Alex to Ole. They actually achieved something before Liverpool and United.

Ole managed Molde and got Cardiff relegated.

RUCK4444

It's not been perfect but with any luck we'd be sitting on 9 points right now.

Ole cannot be expected to take penalties, make basic saves or get the VAR guys to do their job.
THIS. I’m not saying he’s the next Fergie but FFS everyone put their big boy pants on and grow a pair.
He can’t take the penalties. At least he’s getting rid of the dross and trying to play on the front foot. At least he’s trying to press which none of our previous managers have even bothered to implement. He’s Ole, he’s one of us. I wouldn’t go to war with any of you. He had us playing well last season for three months, he can do it again but he needs time. This isn’t the finished article.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExoduS

I got to say that we are the worse... Manchester United fans. We need to stick with Ole for at least 3 years. What I am seeing under Ole is more promising than what we had under Mourinho. We attack, we look positive, we just had sh1t luck lately. All the luck we borrowed against Chelsea was collected in last two weeks. Swapping managers is terrible thing. Ole is not even a manager for a full year now. What's new manager gonna do with this team? I am really curious what would Pep and/or Klopp do? Ole is basically learning at the job, and I am fine with that. This is not worse than last year with Mourinho, at least not yet. Give the guy a full season and let's see than. Today was heartbreaking. We conceded after terrible mistakes, terrible mistakes. Yeah, manager is always at fault I guess, but man Lindeloff and De Gea get paid a lot not to look like chumps out there and they have failed. Ole didn't shoot the two penalties and missed them. Pogba and Rashford took the penalties - is it too much to expect from them to score?

Reactions: jojojo

fergiesarmy1

I got to say that we are the worse... Manchester United fans. We need to stick with Ole for at least 3 years. What I am seeing under Ole is more promising than what we had under Mourinho. We attack, we look positive, we just had sh1t luck lately. All the luck we borrowed against Chelsea was collected in last two weeks. Swapping managers is terrible thing. Ole is not even a manager for a full year now. What's new manager gonna do with this team? I am really curious what would Pep and/or Klopp do? Ole is basically learning at the job, and I am fine with that. This is not worse than last year with Mourinho, at least not yet. Give the guy a full season and let's see than. Today was heartbreaking. We conceded after terrible mistakes, terrible mistakes. Yeah, manager is always at fault I guess, but man Lindeloff and De Gea get paid a lot not to look like chumps out there and they have failed. Ole didn't shoot the two penalties and missed them. Pogba and Rashford took the penalties - is it too much to expect from them to score?
This times a hundred.

Enigma_87

You know who

Chill the f*ck out.

Why didn’t we give Moyes time then?

It was a long term appointment as well.

Being United fan means we should accept mediocrity?

Utter crap of a post. Ferguson and Klopp were one of the most sought after managers prior to their appointment at United and Liverpool. Ole was sought after by Cardiff whom he relegated.

We tried quick fixes - that’s the most laughable excuse ever.

So let’s appoint Keane after Ole? Then Phelan? Or Carrick?

Who are the best teams in the league at the moment? What did they do ? Appoint the best managers available and giving them backing. What did we do - appoint nobody. It’s not rocket science.

Uniquim

Stop comparing him to Klopp and Sir Alex.

Both of them built successful teams in competitive leagues before they arrived in English football. Sir Alex stopped the old firm domination. Klopp turned Dortmund into champions. What’s ole done to be compared to them? Won the league with Molde. Give me a break.
Not trying to compare the Norwegian league with what the Scottish League was when Fergie won with Aberdeen, but Rosenborg had won the league 16 of the 19 last years before Solskjaer won with Molde, for the first and second time in their club history. Molde finished 11th (of 16) the season before Solskjaer took over, and then Ole won the league in his first season, and his second season. That's an impressive feat in any league.

His second spell with Molde was less impressive, but he still managed 5th, 2nd, 2nd, finishing behind powerhouse Rosenborg in both the 2nd & 3rd season. It's a different league, and a different challenge than the Scottish and German leagues, but he showed consistency in keeping his teams competitive.

fergiesarmy1

You would have let Moyes see out his contract.

If it's failing, it's failing.

Time doesn't automatically grant you success.

And lolz at comparing Klopp and Sir Alex to Ole. They actually achieved something before Liverpool and United.

Ole managed Molde and got Cardiff relegated.
Ole managed Molde very well, took over a team in trouble in Cardiff and got relegated. Shocking stuff!

C'est Moi Cantona

But it's Woodward who has hired those managers, so still the common denominator is him, and obviously the people he is answerable to.

If we get someone independent with strong credentials in to make the crucial decisions at the club and we still keep getting the same result, then fair enough, clearly the issues run far deeper, but until then Ed and the Glazers are the problem.

Eddy_JukeZ

But it's Woodward who has hired those managers, so still the common denominator is him, and obviously the people he is answerable to.

If we get someone independent with strong credentials in to make the crucial decisions at the club and we still keep getting the same result, then fair enough, clearly the issues run far deeper, but until then Ed and the Glazers are the problem.
True.

But it doesn't change the fact that we've hired 3(likely 4) poor managers.

jesperjaap

Does anyone believe that another manager would do better? This team is the weakest since Fergie left.

Rashford and Martial are expected to bang in at least 50 goals between them for us to compete which is something the haven't done.
McTominay is expected to be a regular this year and there are question marks about whether he is good enough.

the depth of this side if everything goes tits up makes me wanna cry. I don't think Poch or even Fergie could make this team work.
The side is piss poor of course that is the main problem. Didnt SOlkjear say he only wanted 4 signings to improve the side over the summer and its phases? Unless he was told to do that, he was very naive. How an earth do you get from phase 1 to 2 when barely improving a side that has been awful the alst 3 months with two signings? You are not going to get off from phase 1, you are not going to entice other players next summer if we are still poor and not in the champions league.

Also, of course other managers would do better with this side. He is tactically naive, he obviously doesnt have the players motivated and on his side and he doesnt have experience. He had the honeymoon period where it was almost impossible not to give him the job. Since he has been permanent manager his record has been appalling, not saying that it is his fault, but come on....I could get the same results he has since he was appointed as he hasnt got any

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People really need to look beyond just the results while judging him

Play style:
We've easily made improvements on this since OGS came in. Even in the games that we lost/drew, we were better side in a lot of them including today and Monday night. This wasn't the case under Mou or LVG

Transfers:
The signings have been made thinking about the long term future rather than immediate future. With that in mind, you need to give OGS time. Add to that, the 3 signings have looked real good so far, especially the 2 defenders.

Team selection:
This is one are where I'd like Ole to make improvement in. He needs to do away with the loyalty he's been showing towards Lingard and bench him. On the flip side, he's cleared out most of the deadwood/ deadwood doesn't make up our 18 man squad

jesperjaap

Score both penalties and we're most likely sitting joint top tonight.

Football eh? Bloody hell
What ifs. What if Chelsea hadnt hit the woodwork so many times, Martial missed virtually the only chance we have in the first half against Wolves and the ball that came off the post and hit DeGeas shoulder went into the net.......then we would be 3 games 3 losses

Castia

Why didn’t we give Moyes time then?

It was a long term appointment as well.

Being United fan means we should accept mediocrity?

Utter crap of a post. Ferguson and Klopp were one of the most sought after managers prior to their appointment at United and Liverpool. Ole was sought after by Cardiff whom he relegated.

We tried quick fixes - that’s the most laughable excuse ever.

So let’s appoint Keane after Ole? Then Phelan? Or Carrick?

Who are the best teams in the league at the moment? What did they do ? Appoint the best managers available and giving them backing. What did we do - appoint nobody. It’s not rocket science.

The argument to that is we hired one of the top 3 coaches in the world in Mourinho and gave him a huge transfer kitty.

By the end if his 2+ year reign it felt like we’d gone backwards.

Nothing will change until the board/owners change. If Pep took over tomorrow he’d struggle to finish 4th, we started a rebuild and only did half a job.

Nanotron

Chill the f*ck out.

Dont think too many people will take advice from someone who rates lingard.

Re the bolded, well feck off and go support someone else.

Water Melon

Chill the f*ck out.

What are the odds that Ole does not finish this season with us? Are you sure that Ole is going to last this season and the next?

Eddy_JukeZ

Well Everton fans were glad to get rid of him so not the same thing.
Maybe a few were like idiots.

But you're right it's not the same thing.

Moyes actually 'proved' himself somewhat in the Prem.

Ole hasn't. The one time he managed in the Prem - He had awful transfers with Cardiff and got them relegated.

Eddy_JukeZ

The argument to that is we hired one of the top 3 coaches in the world in Mourinho and gave him a huge transfer kitty.

Nothing will change until the board/owners change. If Pep took over tomorrow he’d struggle to finish 4th, we started a rebuild and only did half a job.
Mourinho was 1000% not one of the top 3 managers in the world when WE HIRED him.

That's the point.

Enigma_87

You know who

So? Mourinho also won 2 cups and led us to the highest league finish.

Our worst appointments are Moyes and Ole so far, you want to continue in that trend then?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
What ifs. What if Chelsea hadnt hit the woodwork so many times, Martial missed virtually the only chance we have in the first half against Wolves and the ball that came off the post and hit DeGeas shoulder went into the net.......then we would be 3 games 3 losses
Penalties are a bit different to what you're saying though.

You can expect to score 90% of the time and not be being unreasonable to assume that.

jesperjaap

And yes, he's basically done what everyone was screaming for.

He's giving young players a chance and he's dropped most of the ones people wanted gone

Lukaku and Fellaini sold too and Sanchez most likely on his way too.

We are at the start of a big rebuild. We have a young team with new players bedding in.

Today was very disappointing, but you cannot be calling for the manager's head after 3 games, al of which we arguably deserved to win and were three better side in. We got mugged today by a very experienced manager fielding a very experienced team. They came for a 0-1 smash and grab and unfortunately got away with it twice.
See I dont agree with that. We were battered by CHelsea who were by far the better team for most of the first half and could have been two or three up. We kept the ball and did little with it against WOlves who could have won in the second half and again today, we may have dominated but we barely created anything either.

We have been at the start of a big rebuild for eight years now. Yes glad to see him getting shot of two of the worst players we have had in my opinion. The rebuilt is far far too slow though, has been bar one window every single summer. We are not going to build a side doing 3 in and 3 out each year for a very long time unless every signing is a perfect one and every youngster makes it. We should be doing twice as much as we have done. Whether this is down to the manager or the board is another thing altogether but I genuinely think Ole did only want about 4 signings this summer and got 3, we should have got 5/6

Fooza

Think it's getting tiring even discussing managers at utd now.

We've got pretty much the same squad as last year, with players who are very average and inconsistent.

Same thing will happen this year where players under perform, and the manager will get the blame.

De..ja..vu

As far as I'm concerned he can be a legend he can be pep, he can be Mickey mouse, or fergie reincarnated.

No one will will get this sorry team to perform like the old united. Standards have truly dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.