Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

johanovic

Maybe a bit of over reaction to the weekends result.
OGS surely has found his ruthless side in getting rid of Smalling, Sanchez and Darmian. The guy is not afraid to shake things up. Hopefully we get a result tomorrow.

Castia

Managed to clear out so much shite in just one summer, fair play to Ole. People moan that Lingard gets a start but he’s managed to get rid of Sanchez, Lukaku, Smalling, Darmian whilst banishing Jones, Young and Matic.

Needs the backing to see the job through, we’re not in a quick fix position there’s been years of mis-management to sort out.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I personally think that he is doing a fantastic job, exactly what us fans have been crying out for (getting rid of the sh*t). He clearly knows what a Manchester United player looks like.

He now deserves some loyalty and support from us to see it through.

Alabaster Codify7

Managed to clear out so much shite in just one summer, fair play to Ole. People moan that Lingard gets a start but he’s managed to get rid of Sanchez, Lukaku, Smalling, Darmian whilst banishing Jones, Young and Matic.

Needs the backing to see the job through, we’re not in a quick fix position there’s been years of mis-management to sort out.
Mate. Young is starting tomorrow and for the foreseeable future

Keefy18

Really is sad to see some folks cling on to any last little bit of negativity they can to slate him with.

He's clearly fecking rebuilding the team and it takes time.

Last edited by a moderator:

fergiesarmy1

I personally think that he is doing a fantastic job, exactly what us fans have been crying out for (getting rid of the sh*t). He clearly knows what a Manchester United player looks like.

He now deserves some loyalty and support from us to see it through.
Well said that man!

He’s got my vote for the foreseeable seeing the last four guys we tried.

UpWithRivers

Why does everyone think Ole is responsible for clearing the Deadwood. All these players have been up for sale for years and years. He said Sanchez would play loads of games and I can't see that getting rid of Smalling was top of his priorities. I think its more the board have finally decided to cut their losses. Last year there Was no way they were accepting 1.5 for Darmian for example. Smalling, Lukaku and Sanchez have not been promised games and instigated their moves

Sylar

Fergie also said Veron would be an important player. You dont dismiss players in the public, and then if they dont get sold, expect them perform for you.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Seriously the guy cannot win.

Shaw is injured

Play Young - He's past it, Ole is not ruthless enough

Play Williams - Ole is mad he's playing too many kids

Play Darmian - We should have got rid of the deadwood a long time ago

Play Rojo - HE SHOULD HAVE GONE FIRST IN THE CLEAR OUT

To be fair to Young, he did better than Shaw last week.

fergiesarmy1

Why does everyone think Ole is responsible for clearing the Deadwood. All these players have been up for sale for years and years. He said Sanchez would play loads of games and I can't see that getting rid of Smalling was top of his priorities. I think its more the board have finally decided to cut their losses. Last year there Was no way they were accepting 1.5 for Darmian for example. Smalling, Lukaku and Sanchez have not been promised games and instigated their moves
You can bet Jose blocked some of them though, he loves his old experienced players.

El Zoido

He’s getting rid of “deadwood” by not playing them. Can’t force a player to leave if they don’t want to, and if nobody wants to buy them.

Denis79

He's clearing out many of the players some of us fans wanted out, he's giving youth a chance, he's targetted young and hungry players to sign. Isn't this what 80% of the threads on here have been crying for?

The results will suffer with such a massive clearout and our new transfer policy. Us fans need to give him time and I really hope the board does the same.

Betson

Got to love the way Solksjaer is dismantling this shit squad. Here is to the start of a 3 year rebuild, cheers!
Will he get three years? if we finish 7th or 8th this season will he get another two years to rebuild?

Eli Zee

He's clearing out many of the players some of us fans wanted out, he's giving youth a chance, he's targetted young and hungry players to sign. Isn't this what 80% of the threads on here have been crying for?

The results will suffer with such a massive clearout and our new transfer policy. Us fans need to give him time and I really hope the board does the same.
If they don’t give him time to bring in new players, we will never know what could’ve been.

we should not expect top 4 this season. If we get it, it should be a pleasant surprise.

Expectations need to be realistic with the players we have

Denis79

If they don’t give him time to bring in new players, we will never know what could’ve been.

we should not expect top 4 this season. If we get it, it should be a pleasant surprise.

Expectations need to be realistic with the players we have
Exactly how I feel, hopefully the board thinks the same or they are utter idiots.

Jackal

These "so much shite" players were the ones expected to win the PL trophy under the former manager. The former manager was pilloried for finishing 2nd with them but suddenly they are so much garbage that we are celebrating their departure.

The way this fanbase moves the goalpost every season to accept the bare minimum is amazing.

lex talionis

Ole has my support for a job well done so far, despite the severe dropoff of form last season. He took over a club in a heap of trouble and has begun to rebuild the squad.

I'd like to have seen more done this summer to rebuild the squad, but I quibble over minutiae that was probably beyond his control.

rotherham_red

Big Mistake, his record in the PL speaks for itself.

He has not got the ruthlessness to be a top flight manager. He is too nice, he will need to get a ruthlessness if he has a chance to succeed.
This aged well...

rotherham_red

Yeah, that's my point of view of course, which I'm adamant about.

Obviously it's not all negatives, but I'd always back someone like Poch who has proven himself more than Ole. To me experience counts a lot, because knowing you have done something before it's certainly easier and managing us is a monumental job.

Not going to lie either if we had a proven manager at helm with the same exact situation as Ole is now(results, transfer window) - I'd most probably would've backed him up. Credentials, philosophy, winner mentality and showcased ability to win is of utmost significance in our current situation.

If we had a proper structure, DoF, players were brought in based on a club profile, youth team development, etc again probably would've given him more time. Sadly we don't.

It's not about the glory - titles, cups etc. At this point I'd take us being properly run club with ambitions and clear plan on the pitch and in the board.
We had those in our previous two managers, where did it leave us?

Castia

These "so much shite" players were the ones expected to win the PL trophy under the former manager. The former manager was pilloried for finishing 2nd with them but suddenly they are so much garbage that we are celebrating their departure.

The way this fanbase moves the goalpost every season to accept the bare minimum is amazing.

So your argument is they aren’t shite? We should have continued with Lukaku and Sanchez because Jose came second one year?

rotherham_red

Really is sad to see some folks cling on to any last little bit of negativity they can to slate him with.

He's clearly fecking rebuilding the team and it takes time.
Spot on. I'm going to call them bed wetters from now on, pathetic.

Keefy18

Why does everyone think Ole is responsible for clearing the Deadwood. All these players have been up for sale for years and years. He said Sanchez would play loads of games and I can't see that getting rid of Smalling was top of his priorities. I think its more the board have finally decided to cut their losses.
What the actual? :lol::lol:

How has Sanchez been on sale for years and years? Sanchez is here a single year.

It's amazing how many folks take everything he says as the gospel truth! He isn't going to publicly slate a player he wants rid of, what's the point?

LVG sold a tonne of players as well, sadly his investments weren't the best either. Ole is doing something Jose refused to do, sell deadwood. It's not down to the board, its down to the manager.

Last year there Was no way they were accepting 1.5 for Darmian for example. Smalling, Lukaku and Sanchez have not been promised games and instigated their moves
Of course they weren't cause Jose refused to sell him.

Darmian and his agent both requested for a move back home to Italy and he refused it.

You really do refuse to give Ole any credit it all, how utterly sad and pathetic.

rotherham_red

He wasn't pilloried for finishing 2nd, he was pilloried for setting the team up like the tactical coward that he is.

rotherham_red

What the actual? :lol::lol:

How has Sanchez been on sale for years and years? Sanchez is here a single year.

It's amazing how many folks take everything he says as the gospel truth! He isn't going to publicly slate a player he wants rid of, what's the point?

LVG sold a tonne of players as well, sadly his investments weren't the best either. Ole is doing something Jose refused to do, sell deadwood. It's not down to the board, its down to the manager.

Of course they weren't cause Jose refused to sell him.

Darmian and his agent both requested for a move back home to Italy and he refused it.

You really do refuse to give Ole any credit it all, how utterly sad and pathetic.
Honestly, I have no doubt in my mind that Jose kept the underperforming bastards in the squad as a convenient get out for when he inevitably had his 3rd season meltdown. So that he could point to them and say, "I wanted to get rid of them but the board wouldn't let me". Nothing would surprise me when it comes to that snake.

hocane

It's all well and good to ship out underperforming players, but when all you do is selling them and not replacing them all you're doing is making the squad smaller.
As of now all we have on the bench to change the game is Mata and a 17 year old. I'm actually terrified for the rest of the season. We're a couple of injuries away from total crisis.

Jackal

He wasn't pilloried for finishing 2nd, he was pilloried for setting the team up like the tactical coward that he is.
He was pilloried for finishing 2nd. The media/fans narrative was that the players were good enough but Jose held them back. The narrative was that finishing 19 points below Man City was an abomination especially with the quality of players Jose had at his disposal.

All of a sudden, the same fans are celebrating the ousting of the 'shit players' that should have challenged for PL title less than 15 months ago.

I call double standards.

So your argument is they aren’t shite? We should have continued with Lukaku and Sanchez because Jose came second one year?
That's not my argument....

My argument is - if they are shit now, they were shit 15 months ago. One manager was expected to perform miracles and win the whole lot with them while another manager is being given a long rope to sell them or replace them without the expectation of winning the league or achieving top 4.

Ole has the easiest job of all the managers this club has hired in the history of the club. He cannot do any wrong - a master stroke move by Woodward to hire him. Woodward knew from the outset the fans and the media won't turn against Ole. He's a club legend. He could relegate the club and there would be excuses rolled at his feet.

The end shall justify the means......

Castia

My argument is - if they are shit now, they were shit 15 months ago. One manager was expected to perform miracles and win the whole lot with them while another manager is being given a long rope to sell them or replace them without the expectation of winning the league or achieving top 4.

Ole has the easiest job of all the managers this club has hired in the history of the club. He cannot do any wrong - a master stroke move by Woodward to hire him. Woodward knew from the outset the fans and the media won't turn against Ole. He's a club legend. He could relegate the club and there would be excuses rolled at his feet.

Jose said himself that finishing second with this lot was one of his greatest achievements and things change fast in football.

Besides that’s a bullshit argument anyway, finishing second meant absolutely nothing that year City had the league won by Xmas.

In a little under 2 years Sanchez went from comfortably a top 5 PL player to absolutely passed it, at the time I’m sure most of us was expecting him to take us to the next level it’s been Ole’s job to try and ditch him due to his terrible performances and ridiculous wages.

We got our money back for Lukaku so I don’t hold much of a grudge and the likes of Smalling, Darmian, Young, Jones etc have always been shite in the eyes of many, finally Ole is trying to ditch em.

Matic will go in January and Young will probably retire next summer. The main worry I have is with the board and how they back him, it’s fine getting rid of the unwanted players but if we can’t replace them then we’ll be in trouble.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Do you honestly believe that Jones, Smalling (almost 20 years between them at the club), Lukaku, Sanchez and Fellaini were/are good enough to play for Manchester United?

The first 2 should by now be what Maguire is for the team but they have not really and never will improve. Smalling peaked with LVG. They're decent defenders but they're not good footballers.

Lukaku and Sanchez? Where do you start? Quite possibly two of the worst signings the club has ever made, absolute f*cking garbage. I know that because I had to suffer watching them 'represent' the club.

The only thing our former 'manager' can manage is his way out of a club when he can no longer be arsed. It was inevitable that he would get the job at some point, I'm just glad that its over and we can move on - which is exactly what Ole is doing.

Foxbatt

I do not think he has any idea of how to set up teams in this age. He always talked of counter attacking football and wing play. He will get taken apart when he plays any big team if he is that open. United is not compact enough when we do not have the ball. Neither do we know what to do when we have the ball. You see that the way we try to move the ball around. It is square passing between the CBs and FBs or a pass to Pogba or a long pass. You never see the short pass and move diamond involving the midfield nor the forwards. That is why I feel he is never going to be able to beat Pep, Klopp and even Poch.

Alabaster Codify7

Spot on. I'm going to call them bed wetters from now on, pathetic.
Call 'us' what you want, lad.

Ashley Young is still going to be a starting 11 regular for most of the season, on and off, despite being the most maligned player we had last year, responsible for many goals conceded.

I hope your screaming 'bed-wetters' in between being gutted every time this 35yr old no-mark costs us a game. Nothing like blaming other fans for the players, is there?

Kindly take your head for a faeces.

rotherham_red

He was pilloried for finishing 2nd. The media/fans narrative was that the players were good enough but Jose held them back. The narrative was that finishing 19 points below Man City was an abomination especially with the quality of players Jose had at his disposal.

All of a sudden, the same fans are celebrating the ousting of the 'shit players' that should have challenged for PL title less than 15 months ago.

I call double standards.

Find me just one post on here, or one article in the press that said that please, cos I can tell you right now that is patently bollocks. The media were too busy lauding Pep and City to say anything derisory about us, and there was little to no fan discontent at the end of that season, even despite him boring many of us to tears by the end of that season.

fps

You wonder what Ole actually thinks of this squad he has been given, compared to some of the teams he played in. It must give him sleepless nights.
I reckon he doesn't sleep much, but I also think he must be utterly adrenalised. It's the opportunity of a lifetime and every fan wants him to do well. He also knows he needs results but that he isn't expected to challenge for the title, but to get Top 4 and develop young players. He's got 3 good players in the summer, more to come next year if he does well, and he must have dreamed of getting this job. I reckon he's very excited for the season ahead, he knows the opportunity's there to do well.

rotherham_red

Ashley Young is still going to be a starting 11 regular for most of the season, on and off, despite being the most maligned player we had last year, responsible for many goals conceded.

I hope your screaming 'bed-wetters' in between being gutted every time this 35yr old no-mark costs us a game. Nothing like blaming other fans for the players, is there?

Cos nothing tells us that Ashley Young will be a regular more than buying the one player that makes him redundant in the regular starting XI... :rolleyes:

fps

Im not gonna jump on Ole's back just yet. He's pretty much fighting with one arm tied behind his back. He inherited his bunch of sh*te, and has not been backed enough in the summer to sort out the glaring gaps in the squad.

Hes made some positive moves in phasing out some of the donkeys in the squad and moving in some young lads with big potential.

But if he continually keeps making decisions like ie. repeatedly picking Lingard when been absolutely useless, ill be questioning him then.

We are desperately in need of some creative drive through the middle. Surely Ole knows this. Im taking his comments with a pinch of salt, and behind the scenes hes seething hes been let down. ..Well thats me thinking positive. Because if he genuinely is happy with Lingard at no.10... we are in deep sh*t
I think it's about time Pereira got another go at 10, simply because he's got an engine and got an assist against Chelsea. That's assuming Fred isn't back yet - I'm genuinely interested in where he and Pogba will play if Ole deems Fred a first-teamer.

Inter Yer Nan

I can't help but feel his hands are tied. I think it's clear we've had to sell this summer so are left with a depleted squad. I'm sure he knew and wanted a midfielder and someone to replace Lingard too but having limited funds it couldn't be done. I feel the board are in a phase now where we are not serious about competing for now and are just trying to recoup funds. The hope I'm sure is that the board felt the fans would understand this new process and philosophy. Ole is simply a yes man because he's landed his dream job and he cares so much he'll give it his absolute best. My gut feeling is that he's not good enough for the job but I can't help but feel he's not been given a fair crack of the whip. If you're going to give the man the job give him the tools to succeed at least. Don't ask for miracles.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

No he's not. Injury cover only.

The transfers in were not enough but we have no idea whose fault that was or (and its possible), we simply couldn't get the type of player (ability/drive/age/price) that Ole wanted and we refused to over pay for some players (fees and/or wages) if we weren't comfortable with WHY they wanted to sign.

But that wouldn't stop me shipping out the players we've done. I'd rather be a bit short of "experience" (and at least try the younger players) than carry on with the bloated/expensive squad we had.

With the position we're in (not so much of a pull for players), even SAF would take a while to sort this out. If he's lucky, Ole will need 3 years just to make us truly competitive.... clear some out, see which youth works, buy a couple of the "right" player (age, ability, mentality). It's not a rush job but if we're going in the right direction, I'll go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.