Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
Ed Woodward is our director of football and has no idea about fo9otball, but he is a good friend with our owners so it might work out in the end.
Ed Woodward is a businessman. And therein lies the problem - football isn't properly represented on the Manchester United board: they're all businessmen concerned with profits.

The on-pitch performance will significantly effect the bottom-line eventually - but until that happens I dare say none of them will be losing any sleep.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
You’re a complete cumbucket.

I’ll take the ban. Go on, accommodate this wanky forum.
Sorry to say but a few months from now or a year tops you will almost certainly be saying that Ole has to go. You might be do it reluctantly but in the end you'll give in to the inevitability.

Ashley R1+O

Some comments in this thread are so delusional it is legitimately scary. Just because you found a paint brush, you aren't automatically Picasso.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Sorry to say but a few months from now or a year tops you will almost certainly be saying that Ole has to go. You might be do it reluctantly but in the end you'll give in to the inevitability.
He is the type of poster that likes to flip flop on things :lol:. I have stayed consistent on my analysis of Ole throughout. It was too early to appoint him and we should have assessed him more before we made any decisions. However, in my own opinion things are not looking that great for him. The 4-0 lost to Everton today was as bad or even worse as we saw under Mourinho or Moyes.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Some comments in this thread are so delusional it is legitimately scary. Just because you found a paint brush, you aren't automatically Picasso.
I haven't read thoroughly through the thread, I don't know if it is obvious but who is this directed to? Those who want Ole out or want him staying?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Why are opposition fans who like to wum

That was just Ed saying what fans wanted to hear. Of course he never intended to change anything.
Well I think he would of rather not changed anything, but at Christmas he was in a position where he had to change something, everyone fans, pundits, writers everyone was in agreement that the way forward was to address the structure at the club, which has been lacking football knowledge above the manager for too long. If he hadn’t of done it then even the glazers where bound to go “hang on this obviously needs to happen”. They may not care about the club they do care about money, and financially at that point it had become clear that we needed some more guidance near boredroom level on signings and manager appointments.

But Ole’s good run gave him an excuse to hold on to that power, it gave him a quick cheap way out.

I still think Woodward is going to get backed into that corner again over the next year, I don’t think Ole has the managerial experience to turn the club round on the pitch and going by their track records Ole and Woodward obviously don’t have the skills to turn the team round off the pitch.

So I think we will end up going through with the plan that was muted at Christmas, I just think we are gonna make a-load more mistakes till we get to that point.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So we should sack a manager who hasn't been able to bring in a single player yet and is still having to deal with the mess he inherited?

feck. Right. Off. You. Clueless. Twat.

bleedred

Worst run since I was born 38 fecking years ago. It’s lunacy to place all of the blame on to the players. We look tactically clueless. That’s on the manager.
Honestly have some perspective, we have had tough games. It’s not like we have been losing to bottom half teams every week.

Woodenlung

Threads like these make me think we have the worst, most entitled fan base in football.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is the type of poster that likes to flip flop on things :lol:. I have stayed consistent on my analysis of Ole throughout. It was too early to appoint him and we should have assessed him more before we made any decisions. However, in my own opinion things are not looking that great for him. The 4-0 lost to Everton today was as bad or even worse as we saw under Mourinho or Moyes.
He also has produced the best football since SAF left, in other games. Honestly, I never expected the team to look so good it did under Ole for a period. The loss against Everton makes everything very clear. Ole haven't been manager long enough to destroy or build, just effect. His effect lasted for a while but now the players are back to normal. This is where we were headed. The performance against Everton were reminiscent of the performances under Mourinho and we all assumed they downed tools because he was one. Now there is a legitimate question as to what is going on because we all know Ole isn't a disruptive egomaniac, possibly fecking with the players and playing negative football. Ole tries to motivate them with smiles and hugs and with the ethos of the club behind him he demands more running, more creativity and forward play. Yet, they are not United. Bunch of shitkid players this group has shown themselves to be. It might be the stink of Mourinho and a few other poisonous characters, and some of these guys might wake up from this nightmare eventually.

Anyways, I'm just rambling. My point is I disagree with the notion things look bad for Ole. It looks bad for United, but you can't put that on a manager that has only been here for a minute. This loss proves what a challenge a manager like Pochettino would have had if he came here, if not even a legend like Ole who provides the United feel can get these players united. He would have the same problems with less of the knowhow inside the club and only with a bit more PL-experience as a manager to go with it really.

SammyUnited_83

Ironically he's 3rd favourite (albeit 20/1) to be next prem manager to leave.

He's behind 'no manager' and 'Chris Hughton'.

Not suggesting for one minute he leaves btw.

RedRover

It’s staggering that people want to lay the blame on Solskjaer.

The majority of the squad either isn’t good enough or won’t work hard enough. Pogba, Martial have the talent but not the application, Lukaku isn’t good enough, Matic looks like he’s gone over the hill. There are numerous others.

We were outworked today by an average side. Liverpool, as an example put it all in at Cardiff. City do likewise. Pep requires that, hence the bust up with Aguero early on. Top sides in the modern game work hard. It’s that simple.

Ole may not be the man for the job but the squad is rotten. Likewise the structure of the club is dreadful. It isn’t his fault the squad is populated by players who aren’t good enough, or worse, think they’re good enough not to have to put the work in.

Today was disgusting. The players should be ashamed.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He also has produced the best football since SAF left, in other games. Honestly, I never expected the team to look so good it did under Ole for a period. The loss against Everton makes everything very clear. Ole haven't been manager long enough to destroy or build, just effect. His effect lasted for a while but now the players are back to normal. This is where we were headed. The performance against Everton were reminiscent of the performances under Mourinho and we all assumed they downed tools because he was one. Now there is a legitimate question as to what is going on because we all know Ole isn't a disruptive egomaniac, possibly fecking with the players and playing negative football. Ole tries to motivate them with smiles and hugs and with the ethos of the club behind him he demands more running, more creativity and forward play. Yet, they are not United. Bunch of shitkid players this group has shown themselves to be. It might be the stink of Mourinho and a few other poisonous characters, and some of these guys might wake up from this nightmare eventually.

Anyways, I'm just rambling. My point is I disagree with the notion things look bad for Ole. It looks bad for United, but you can't put that on a manager that has only been here for a minute. This loss proves what a challenge a manager like Pochettino would have had if he came here, if not even a legend like Ole who provides the United feel can get these players united. He would have the same problems with less of the knowhow inside the club and only with a bit more PL-experience as a manager to go with it really.
Great post, but our manager needs more than smile and hug to motivate these players it seems :lol:. And beside the motivational elements, I have questioned his tactical one. I m still trying to understand what his philosophy is and whether it is as LVG somewhat stated that, “his philosophy is more similar to Mourinho than the attack, attack” football that we are craving.” I m sure a lot of United fans did not like Mourinho philosophy or the football we have adopted post honeymoon period.

Moreover, the best football we have produced, isn’t that more down to the new manager bounce? If it is down to Ole, why are we struggling to perform like this again even with all our team fit. He can’t blame fitness because we have some of the best trainers and training facilities in the world. Our players are capable of outworking the like of Everton, Wolves and so on. It seems more like a mental thing that prevents our players from doing so and I don’t know why Ole hasn’t enforced such work ethic consistently in this team.

Scholsey2004

It'd be more sensible to tear up this gash squad first and see what he can do with players who can press and play the way he wants us to play.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Well , we did that to Jose. So same standards should apply here as well.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Great post, but our manager needs more than smile and hug to motivate these players it seems :lol:. And beside the motivational elements, I have questioned his tactical one. I m still trying to understand what his philosophy is and whether it is as LVG somewhat stated that, “his philosophy is more similar to Mourinho than the attack, attack” football that we are craving.” I m sure a lot of United fans did not like Mourinho philosophy or the football we have adopted post honeymoon period.

Moreover, the best football we have produced, isn’t that more down to the new manager bounce? If it is down to Ole, why are we struggling to perform like this again even with all our team fit. He can’t blame fitness because we have some of the best trainers and training facilities in the world. Our players are capable of outworking the like of Everton, Wolves and so on. It seems more like a mental thing that prevents our players from doing so and I don’t know why Ole hasn’t enforced such work ethic consistently in this team.
It does seem like a mental thing, and that is something Ole helped release with his positivity when he came in. Those troubles are not made by him though.

He came in, told the players what they needed to here and guided them to their best performances since SAF, that happened. It gave Ole the job. We didn't need tactical dominance because our mental part and effort were so good. We were fluent, free and creative. Then we had a few knocks and Ole took us through against PSG with pure heart, inspiring effort and a smart tactical plan. With our form and the Everton loss, again were at a point where tactical dominance doesn't matter but not because we win through passion and forward play but because we lack effort and freedom. This time we know the manager isn't the one who are restricting the freedom, it is ingrained in the players from before and is creeping back in.

You think these mental problems are not to be solved with "smiles and hugs" but when he got here that was in fact the exact solution. He got a lot more out of the team, you can't deny that. Only way you can deny that is if you think Ole is to blame for our players lack of effort which is preposterous. He needs to create a culture the same way Pochettino or any other manager would have to, so that current and knew players can perform to the best of their abilities in a professional and positive environment for learning, not a petty competitive mess of a shithouse.

You can question the appointment based on the past, or doubt what Ole is capable of in the future, but people certainly don't have to be freakin' maniacs about this. We have made a decision, now lets roll with it. Lets not turn on the manager first thing, because the players have gotten a free ride each time that has happened and they just get more and more privileged and smug without really backing it up with performances worthy of this club.

Dave Burkinas

I think we need to calm down a bit. Ole was blown away by the talent in the squad when he arrived and they raised their game to repay his faith in them. We've got a much better idea of the first eleven now, and he's recognising limitations in the attitude and fitness of some of the squad.

We've been trying to buy ready made players and managers at a premium for years: other than the academy graduates who is worth more than when we bought them?
Few pay-chequers out and a few hungry young winners in the first team and it is suddenly a different squad.

Recently we've been neither hard to beat nor exciting to watch - Ole has to take some of the responsibility there, but he's committed enough to see a project through if he's given the chance. No point in half-supporting him for a season though as I'm worried could happen.

TsuWave

So we should sack a manager who hasn't been able to bring in a single player yet and is still having to deal with the mess he inherited?

feck. Right. Off. You. Clueless. Twat.
It was a bad appointment to start with, a hasty one at that. People think it’s ok to judge him on a small sample of games to give him the job but not to get rid of him? Dude relegated Cardiff, and managed in Norway, but somehow he’s the man to rebuild United.

Real, the real biggest club in the world, hired and got rid of one of their own in the space of 4 months.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It was a bad appointment to start with, a hasty one at that. People think it’s ok to judge him on a small sample of games to give him the job but not to get rid of him? Dude relegated Cardiff, and managed in Norway, but somehow he’s the man to rebuild United.

Real, the real biggest club in the world, hired and got rid of one of their own in the space of 4 months.
You are right. It is a big risk, but it might work. It might not, and it might not work with anyone else either. It is okey to judge him on that sample size to give him the job because he got a lot out of a squad that is not his, the attacking performances were like a new thing to us, since SAF. He has not ruined this squad, our current troubles aren't proof of that, as our troubles surely are not news? So why should a manager that is least likely to be the reason for our current issues be fired for it? I get that you can disagree with the decision and have a few doubts about the rebuilding and if Ole is the right man, but we shouldn't fire him now. I mean, why give him the job if we don't believe in him for more than a couple of games:lol: One thing I know is the manager needs to be showed faith, and I feel confident in the character and intentions of Ole, thats for sure. We need a strong leader and manager. If nobody believes in him except for the players, that'll be good enough, if they don't he doesn't stand a chance. He has a lot going for him if the changes needed gets implemented, and we should trust him to work hard on it and eventually get it done.

Bojan11

You are right. It is a big risk, but it might work. It might not, and it might not work with anyone else either. It is okey to judge him on that sample size to give him the job because he got a lot out of a squad that is not his, the attacking performances were like a new thing to us, since SAF. He has not ruined this squad, our current troubles aren't proof of that, as our troubles surely are not news? So why should a manager that is least likely to be the reason for our current issues be fired for it? I get that you can disagree with the decision and have a few doubts about the rebuilding and if Ole is the right man, but we shouldn't fire him now. I mean, why give him the job if we don't believe in him for more than a couple of games:lol: One thing I know is the manager needs to be showed faith, and I feel confident in the character and intentions of Ole, thats for sure. We need a strong leader and manager. If nobody believes in him except for the players, that'll be good enough, if they don't he doesn't stand a chance. He has a lot going for him if the changes needed gets implemented, and we should trust him to work hard on it and eventually get it done.
Can you please tag a mod so that everyone knows you don’t support Bournemouth.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Good post.Agree 100%

Un4givableB

FACTS

The only reason he will keep his job until at least next season is because sacking him now would put Woodward in the firing line.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think Ole will step down at the end of the season if results don’t improve and a decent replacement can be found. Seems to me like someone who would have the clubs best interests at heart.
He's not a quitter and i'd be shocked if he did. If that does happen I can bet it would be a club decision and it would be done that way out of respect for a club legend

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
We appointed him far too soon. I said it in the original thread that it made no logical sense to do it that quickly. We should have given more time to properly assess as a honeymoon run was bound to be over at some point.

The argument against this was that it would be better to appoint now and start future planning well in advance, but we have hired managers to start in June so I don't buy that argument.

We wouldn't have lost much by waiting a month longer. We made the appointment in good part by emotion. Period.

R'hllor

Dunno about appointing him but think decision should be made at the end of season. Whole thing looked like there was some plan behind it. Sack JM, give a job to interim manager till end of season, make a decision regarding DoF before anything and then perma job for manager who ever he was.

Instead, they dropped the plan on first curve, players started yapping on twitter how Ole should get a job , showing support ( we see how they perform now for him ), they gave him a job, classic.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I just saw a comment on United’s Instagram page that said “Being a permanent manager might be cursed. Manchester United should sack Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and reappoint Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as interim manager.” :lol:

liamp

Dunno about appointing him but think decision should be made at the end of season. Whole thing looked like there was some plan behind it. Sack JM, give a job to interim manager till end of season, make a decision regarding DoF before anything and then perma job for manager who ever he was.

Instead, they dropped the plan on first curve, players started yapping on twitter how Ole should get a job , showing support ( we see how they perform now for him ), they gave him a job, classic.
To be fair, it wasn't just the players. A large portion of the fanbasewere calling for it and so were club alumni. They absolutely shouldn't have caved under the pressure but it's pretty easy to see why they did.

Will Singh

Im beginning to feel that Ole just knows what to say to keep the masses happy, I mean this quote everyone is going mad over about he will be successful blah blah blah I just don't get it. Talk is cheap get the fecking results as I don't want to hear about it.

Having said all that we need a massive clear out and a rebuild which I'm not sure Ole can do that?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Im beginning to feel that Ole just knows what to say to keep the masses happy, I mean this quote everyone is going mad over about he will be successful blah blah blah I just don't get it. Talk is cheap get the fecking results as I don't want to hear about it.

Having said all that we need a massive clear out and a rebuild which I'm not sure Ole can do that?
Getting the fecking results is easier said than done. Every new manager deserves a transfer window and pre season at the very least. If we still don't have an identity and good level of performance by October/November, then all the signs are that he is not up to scratch.

Naturally with Ole the problem is that people have nothing to have faith in. He's achieved nothing at the big stage at all.

SCJY

Everything went to crap straight after the international break and even more specifically, after the the stories about Herrera's contract came into focus.

Players who thought they had a future with Manchester United and who were willing and prepared to fight for the badge, no longer were, all of a sudden.

Herrera was the linchpin that held that group of players together... he was our only fighter... See how he tried motivating Sanchez in their brief time on the pitch together, even though he's on (rumours suggest) 4X the wages.

Sorry to say, Olé is out of his depth letting that happen to Herrera, and the players have silently revolted once again. Players and people these days need to get what they want, get what they feel like they deserve and have all this in place before fighting for what they believe in.

It's no coincidence we have failed since Herrera got dropped. I still can't believe Olé is so blind.

JEredDevil

Cant understand why do people want to wait till the end of season to give him the job. This season was already over before he came in. IMO he should have been made permanent instead of interim in December. This would have allowed him to started his rebuilding process from day 1. Now, he's being judged on a team which he had no say on before, a team, which all of us already knew had big problems. In the past, teams were always afraid of us after we lost a game as they knew we had that hunger and fire to make things right immediately. But now, this group of players have shown that they care more about their bank accounts than the crest on the shirt. Ole was brought up with the philosophy that "no one was bigger than the club" and he has proved that with his recent comments in the media. Now, it is up to the board to back him and give him what he wants. We need to give him at last 2 or 3 transfer windows for a proper rebuilding process to happen. When that happens and we're still shite, then yeah, appointing him was a mistake.

The only reason I can think of why many of us are calling for his head now is only because he went on this amazing run of wins and made us believe that the good times were back. Just imagine if he had continue that poor run of form before got Jose sack, would we still be calling for his head? Utterly ridiculous some of us wants him gone when he is the one that brought the belief back to the club.

For me, its all right down to the players and the board. We've had now 5 managers (including Giggsy) in the space of 5 or 6 seasons. It's time to bring back some stability to the club with Ole.

lysglimt

Scout
It's a bit funny reading that this forum has been nominated for best forum in the Football Blogging Awards - well, looking at how some people are blaming Solskjaer despite him not having been able to sign 1 of these players - clearly indicated that the nomination wasn't based on the knowledge of some of the people posting here.

lysglimt

Scout

Listen - there is something called a transfer window. How about waiting for one until you blame him for the massive clear out not happening

Status
Not open for further replies.