Arab protests of 2019 (and beyond)

Giggsyking

Are you in the country right now? Some really disturbing videos floating around Twitter.
No, but I have friends who are keeping me in touch. The protests became very violent and erupted in many cities in middle and southern Iraq. I get videos every minute on social media. Iraqi PM addressed the country on Friday 1 am midnight and promised to reshuffle the the cabinet next week but that did not have any effect on the demonstrations.

Giggsyking

The demonstration continues today despite the government warning the protesters.

Giggsyking

This video has been all over the social media of a 13 year old boy holding a banner at the republic bridge few meters away from the security forces protecting the green Zone, firing tear gas grenades and sound grenades while he stand still despite many people begging him to come back.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
When has it never been bad for the Iraqis. Don’t think any living Iraqi has known peace or stability.
I dont remember so far back, but how is this compared to the syrian protests? Weren't they quite tame and then they just blew up?

2cents

Scout
Things are moving so fast in the region:

What next?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I barely made it out today. :lol:

Left work right before Amal thugs arrived downtown to attack the protestors. :lol:

Giggsyking

News of Iraqi president calling the PM to discuss the resignation of the government and to prepare for new elections. The Iraqi protesters wants much more than that, they want a whole new system with major changes in the constitution.

Giggsyking

Hundreds of thousands are out today in various cities in Iraq. Refusing to obey the curfew and continuing the civil disobedience.

Giggsyking

these pictures are taken few hours ago.
hundreds of thousands (maybe a million) in the famous Tahreer square where all the protesters are staying.

Giggsyking

Any updates @Jaqen H'ghar @Giggsyking @Slevs @Ballache @maba723?

Any Algerians on the Cafe?
Well the Iraqi youth literally are living now in the Tahreer square. Hundreds of thousands stays there over night. The have built baths and temporary toilets, stationary temporary hospitals, even free food restaurants. I have relatives and friends staying there some of them at the dangerous zone were people got killed in the first line at the bridge. They will continue the civil disobedience to activate an article in the constitution to dismantle the government and the parliament and force the country to new elections.

Last edited:

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55

Hi 2cents.

In Sudan things have kind of settled. There are weekly Protests, today it was to demand investigations into the fate of the forcibly disappeared. The Protests are smaller than they used to be.

Negotiations with armed rebels from Darfur and Nuba mountains haven't shown much promise so far.

People are starting to realize the enormity of the task of rebuilding the country and realize that it will take a lot of work and time. That is if the army don't do a 'Sisi' and overthrow the civilian government. Overall the mood is cautiously optimistic.

I've watched the situations in Iraq and Lebanon from afar. A change across the whole region is long overdue, and in my opinion a matter of when, rather than if. I wish them all the best.

@Giggsyking I hope your relatives and everyone else is safe

Ballache

Supports
Martial

Roads were closed again yesterday as people felt that the consultations to form a new government are taking too long (been 4 days so debatable).
Protesters want a technocratic government which raises a few problems.
Hariri wants to be PM, which won't work as he's not a technocrat. If he is PM then every other political party will want representation in the government.
If we do move towards a fully technocratic government, Hezbollah won't be involved which paves the way for the west to designate them as a terrorist organisation. Right now the military wing is designated as a terrorist group, but since they are represented in the government, the political wing isn't. So there's that issue.
I honestly don't see a way out of this right now unfortunately.
I just hope that the Lebanese Pound won't be affected and that we don't sink into violence.

2cents

Scout

Slevs

So the economy is basically over and I might lose my job.

Giggsyking

3rd week now. More than 350 dead and 15000 injured. The Iraqis have no intentions on going home. There is a large petition online to remove the UN representative Jeanine Hennis from her mission after she wrote a report siding more with the government than the Iraqi people.

Slevs

How is the economy basically over Slevs?
The economy has been getting worse ever since the 90s. Slowly over time. Like in the past 3 years, countless establishments have closed and others have let people go (including at my workplace). Banks recently cut off all credit to all businesses and consumer loans. Add to this the Lebanese lira vs US dollar issue.

So the head of department just came in the other day and said "look guys, we're probably letting go of half our staff". And he was dead serious.

Giggsyking

Last edited:

Slevs

A young man was killed last night in front of his wife and child:(:(

Gunshot to the head

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
Protesters protesting against corruption letting one of the most corrupt politicians pass through while taking pictures with him.

2cents

Scout
Rumors of a military coup in Baghdad right now...

(Edit): appears to be nothing.

Last edited:

2cents

Scout
After the Iranian consulate in Karbala got it earlier in the month, tonight it was Najaf:

Kaos

After the Iranian consulate in Karbala got it earlier in the month, tonight it was Najaf:

Iranian consultate in Iraq's two most holy Shia cities. You'd expect the anti-Iranian sentiment in the nationalist Sunni heartlands, but the resentment spreading to their traditionally supportive heartlands is troubling news for the Ayatollah.

Dread to imagine how heavy handed the response from the militias will be.