Are corners really a good opportunity to score a goal?

Chief123

These are good stats and highlight the shortcomings of corners. I wonder if you looked at these from 10 or even 20 years ago in the Premier League, you'd see higher conversion rates?
I genuinely believe defenders and players in general used to have a more attacking threat in the air than they do today. Defenders don’t really get into physical aerial battles anymore as most teams at the top level like to play football on the floor. There aren’t many Hartson, Sutton, Caroll type strikers which means there’s not as much tendency to nurture defenders who are good in the air. It was unheard of 20 years ago to have a centre back who couldn’t head a ball as their strength. Yet it’s not seen as much of a problem nowadays. We have Bailly and Lindelof who aren’t great in the air. Anyway just a theory.

GoalooUS

Supports
Real Madrid
In theory, the closer the ball to goal, the higher percentage to score, but I agree with you, coners are not that efficient

Needham

The corner format is outdated. Keep 'corners' but take them on the goal line 20 meters closer to the goal. You want to say that's daft but you've pictured it and you know it's a fecking great idea.

Sylar

It's a combination of working on a routine, having a good delivery or somebody who can take it and then it landing to somebody who can utilise the ball correctly

The Sherringham corner was fantastic
The corner to the edge of the box when Scholes was free too
Also the goal that lead to us winning the CL in 99, is very hard to defend if done correctly (though Oles reactions helped so a bit of luck needed too)

I think it's like free kicks , if you practice routines you have a better chance than just lumping it in hoping your biggest or tallest player gets on the end of it

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Taking a corner as a cross into the box is a low-percentage change - with a high-percentage risk of a dangerous counter-attack. So yes, very much overrated, and not worth the excitement on the side of the attacking team to 'throw the ball into the mixer'. On the other hand, corners are a clean position of possession, where often there are acres of space around the corner taker. Teams that practice these seriously should be able to get more out of them than a low-percentage cross - and I don't mean by recycling possession back to the centre circle and restarting the attack from there. I mean more like this one from Leicester the other week:

Only one defender is following the attacked for the short corner, meaning that, immediately once it's taken, Leicester are 2 vs 1 just outside the box. This allows Albrighton to run into the box with the ball with a lot space to provide a very dangerous assist over the ground.

This is clearly rehearsed and has huge potential. Of course, teams will start responding when this becomes more common (e.g., by putting a defender near the corner taker like for any free kick); but that then leaves space open somewhere else that can be exploited. I am not sure why more isn't done with this sort of thing; but now throw-in coaches are a thing, surely corners can become more of a science as well.

Going back to corners-as-crosses though, I also found this one interesting:

There's a kind of rugby scrum happening around the spot, which is also clearly rehearsed on the Gladbach side, and they execute much better than Dortmund's defense against it. (Thuram can basically just walk through that bunch of Dortmund players towards a free header.)

NoPace

Good post
I haven't seen Ted Lasso yet, but the obvious move is to get a basketball (out of bounds plays) or American football offensive coach (literally every play is a set piece basically) on staff to handle set pieces. Not sure why teams don't all have a consultant or coach to do that.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Even if it doesn’t end up in a goal teams still get possession in a dangerous area of the pitch so concluding that corners aren’t effective because of the ratio of goals scored per corner kicks taken doesn’t really make sense.

Needham

Fergie used to water the pitch mercilessly. Is there anything in the actual rules that says clubs can't use wind machines?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Taking a corner as a cross into the box is a low-percentage change - with a high-percentage risk of a dangerous counter-attack. So yes, very much overrated, and not worth the excitement on the side of the attacking team to 'throw the ball into the mixer'. On the other hand, corners are a clean position of possession, where often there are acres of space around the corner taker. Teams that practice these seriously should be able to get more out of them than a low-percentage cross - and I don't mean by recycling possession back to the centre circle and restarting the attack from there. I mean more like this one from Leicester the other week:

Only one defender is following the attacked for the short corner, meaning that, immediately once it's taken, Leicester are 2 vs 1 just outside the box. This allows Albrighton to run into the box with the ball with a lot space to provide a very dangerous assist over the ground.

This is clearly rehearsed and has huge potential. Of course, teams will start responding when this becomes more common (e.g., by putting a defender near the corner taker like for any free kick); but that then leaves space open somewhere else that can be exploited. I am not sure why more isn't done with this sort of thing; but now throw-in coaches are a thing, surely corners can become more of a science as well.

Going back to corners-as-crosses though, I also found this one interesting:

There's a kind of rugby scrum happening around the spot, which is also clearly rehearsed on the Gladbach side, and they execute much better than Dortmund's defense against it. (Thuram can basically just walk through that bunch of Dortmund players towards a free header.)
This is the way. You don't have to smash it into the box

hungrywing

I recently saw some numbers to do with Liverpool missing Van Dijk from corners and set pieces we're attacking, but are they actually a good chance to score? The average success rate of scoring from a corner in the Premier League is about 1 in 30 or there about.

As an example last season Liverpool took just over 250 attacking corners and Van Dijk scored 5 goals. That's about a 1 in 50 success rate. I often see criticism of Harry Maguire on here due to the amount of chances he fails to score from via a corner, but are they really that easy to score from? Statistically speaking you're not that likely to make one count.

From what I remember of Pep's Barcelona they often played corners short and sometimes all the way back to the halfway line to restart a new phase of play, instead of hitting it in and hoping one of their smaller players can try and win a header.

Are they over rated?
Pretty sure it's always been around that. ~2.0-2.5%

Source: heard a commentator reference it around 2004. "This season it's been around 1 in 20, which is quite high as normally it's around 1 in 50...."

bsCallout

One of my pet hates with football players are the corner takers who can never seemingly beat the first man. Fair enough if opposition stick a 6ft + striker at the near post as they can head away some decently flighted corners but so many get scuffed low and can be easily kicked away.

If I was training a team I'd always insist on the corner taker curling the ball towards the goal. Yes the keeper will collect a few but you get it right and it only needs a slight touch off the head and it's flying towards top corner.

Don't understand the tactics of pinging a diagonal towards the back post. You have to win that head and direct it back across goal for someone to then win another header to put it a bit more centrally and then someone may head it in so possibly three headers needed to score rather than just an inswinger.

When we had Ashley Westwood playing for us the instructions were always to float it to back post as Benteke liked that sort of corner for some reason and we'd score about two a season.

Now at Burnley he just does a normal inswinger and they score loads of them, indeed think he's scored the odd one directly.

Another thing that's always odd is if opposition clears the header away there's never a player on edge of the box to complete the clearence so if ball goes in right area opposition can have a player coming in to get a shot in, think of those mad volleys Scholes used to score from that position and just last week Ndidi scored one for Leicester when Chelsea didn't have anyone on edge of box.
Not sure you need three headers to score an outswinger. We've taken plenty where a half decent header into the ground would be a goal. Our players just seem to want to bury the header top corner or setting.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Depends who is taking your corners and how. With Digne and Rodriguez taking ours we always have a good chance of scoring I reckon.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Generally not, but it depends:
Compiling stats from a couple of websites, Understat has goals from corners for each team. Team total corners can be found in loads of places, I'll use the Premier League official site.

So far this season:

TeamTotal cornersGoals%
Liverpool13364.51
Man City13353.76
Aston Villa11543.48
Chelsea11586.96
Leeds10843.70
Arsenal10421.92
Wolves10276.86
Brighton10121.98
Leicester9711.03
Man Utd9733.09
Sheff Utd9433.19
West Ham8955.62
Palace8222.44
Everton8167.41
Spurs7945.06
Southampton7322.74
Burnley7234.17
Fulham7122.82
Newcastle7111.41
WBA6434.69
Total1881733.88
You can see how quickly the odds can increase when you have a player who is exceptional in the air. Zouma at Chelsea is very difficult to pin down at a set-piece. And while I haven't watched so much of Everton I imagine Yerry Mina is a similar handful (DCL pretty effective too) with Digne providing some of the most dangerous deliveries in the league.

Siorac

All for simply retaining possession and going again.

Pros...

No concussions, injuries
No getting countered massively out of position
Better chance of crafting a higher expectation shooting chance via patience
Retaining the ball = less of a chance conceding overall.

Corners seem utterly useless to me. Pass short and decongest the box as a result. Can always tump it back post to a Fellaini in a second phase.
I much prefer short corners for these reasons but look at a matchday thread when we take two in a row. Half the thread is angrily shouting to stop 'faffing about' with these short corners.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I prefer short corners, even though they seem wildly unpopular in the matchday threads, for some reason.

We're pretty awful at crossing the ball in straight from the corner. Far too many go straight to the first man for an easy clearance, or Maguire will win a header and blaze it high and wide. Or we sail it towards the edge of the 6 yard box without blocking the keeper, so he steps out for an easy catch. I'd rather we just went short and carry on with open play possession.

Maguire is obviously doing something right by winning so many of his headers, but his accuracy is so poor, it's not really worth it.

Pass and Move

Someone mentioned throw-ins earlier, and I've always wondered why teams don't 'kick for touch' more. So often teams will just hoof the ball clear in the hope the lone attacker can retain possession from 3 defenders just inside the opposition half, but it would be so much more effective to aim to kick the ball out of play as close to the corner flag as possible. It would buy time for the defending team to push out, if the attacking team is pressed high up the pitch then there's an opportunity for the whole team to push out and pressurise the opposition in their own half, and when teams start responding to the tactic by leaving defenders deeper to cover, then it inevitably just buys more space for the defending team to transition into.

GazTheLegend

I think so yeah. The same goes for throw ins, half the time whoever takes the throw loses possession of the ball almost immediately, and find themselves out of position.
Finally see someone else that has noticed this!

I've always felt that defensive throw ins deep in your own half are an incredibly dangerous situation and am sort of amazed that the likes of Sean Dyche etc haven't started playing a sort of rugby method where you try to kick the ball out as close to the opposition touchline as you can. Having a defensive throw in there means you have one player out of play (taking the throw) a limited distance they can throw, whoever they throw to always has to take an awkward touch while outnumbered and being closed down from the 3-4 players in and around him. I always make a note of these situations in my head because it usually ends with the opposite team having possession on the half way line and running at the defending teams box in some manner.

Now GETTING footballers to kick the ball into touch like that would be a managerial challenge but it's one way to deal with a high pressing team like Liverpool or City - just smash in crossfield diagonally as far as you can. I swear Norway beat Brazil 4-2 once by doing just that.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I think if you have a delivery like Beckham's or Ward-Prowse, inswinging corners are a huge threat. Especially when you crowd a keeper like De Gea who isn't commanding in the air.

I can't get on board with this trend of outswingers though. Even if a player wins the head, they've got so much work to do to get the power and accuracy.

No Spring Chicken

Looking at those corner stats in isolation isn't really that helpful. 1 in 50 or whatever may seem low, but the chances of anything being successful are pretty low in football. I remember this article from a few years ago showing that the number of crosses that resulted in a goal (including second phases) was only about 1 goal per 45 crosses. Hell, look at actual shots on target, I doubt that more than 10% of actual shots result in goals, and that's a situation where the ball has already reached the player.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"Crosses are good" - David Moyes

Corners = direct crosses into the box
Corners are good

Alemar

So many occasions he actually does the hard part by winning the header but just doesn’t get it on target even when he’s unmarked.
Maguire also often commits attacking fouls (or is given attacking fouls by referees - remember the disallowed goal he scored recently)

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Generally not, but it depends:

You can see how quickly the odds can increase when you have a player who is exceptional in the air. Zouma at Chelsea is very difficult to pin down at a set-piece. And while I haven't watched so much of Everton I imagine Yerry Mina is a similar handful (DCL pretty effective too) with Digne providing some of the most dangerous deliveries in the league.
This is probably the most dangerous I have seen a Everton team at corners. That table only shows league games so is not including what we have scored in the cups as for example we scored 2 against Shef Wed on Sunday.
There are two reasons for why we have looked so dangerous this season. Firstly we have lot of players who are great at attacking for ball. DCL, Mina, Keane and Richarlison are excellent in that regard and then also because of injuries we have been playing with Holgate and Godfrey as full backs which has been a added bonus from corners with their height.
The second reason is James Rodriguez. It feels like every corner he takes it perfect and he's proving to be a level above even Digne in taking them.

DickDastardly

We certainly don't help ourselves with the curved sloping bullshit at OT that's for sure.

Others also have the turf crap, that doesn't help either.

It also depends hugely on who's taking the corner, not just who is on the end of it.

You put David Beckham or Totti, Pirlo, and you got yourself a good chance of scoring.

Anybody willing to pull out some stats? Most corner assists?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Corners put the ball into the area and you have to have the ball in there to score generally.

But having tonnes of players in there also takes the space away.

But you only have to look at how many times Maguire has got his full head on a ball close in to see they could be a great source of goals if he could find some accuracy.

Withnail

I've always felt that defensive throw ins deep in your own half are an incredibly dangerous situation and am sort of amazed that the likes of Sean Dyche etc haven't started playing a sort of rugby method where you try to kick the ball out as close to the opposition touchline as you can. Having a defensive throw in there means you have one player out of play (taking the throw) a limited distance they can throw, whoever they throw to always has to take an awkward touch while outnumbered and being closed down from the 3-4 players in and around him. I always make a note of these situations in my head because it usually ends with the opposite team having possession on the half way line and running at the defending teams box in some manner.

Now GETTING footballers to kick the ball into touch like that would be a managerial challenge but it's one way to deal with a high pressing team like Liverpool or City - just smash in crossfield diagonally as far as you can. I swear Norway beat Brazil 4-2 once by doing just that.
Ah jaysus can you imagine? Constantly hoofing the ball out of play and everyone legging it over to press the opposition.

GazTheLegend

Ah jaysus can you imagine? Constantly hoofing the ball out of play and everyone legging it over to press the opposition.
There's a German tactician who spoke about exactly this, he said they had great results with the system but the players grumbled that much that it had to be abandoned (can't remember the name).

That said I am surprised that it's never really been tried at the top level but as we've seen with first, Guardiola and tika-taka and nowadays Klopps Gegenpress that it doesn't take that long for a successful idea to become the vogue. However, you'd have to get the players (and fans!!!) onboard with it first.

Easy way to counter this if it did become a common problem would be to make any defensive throw in in your own half a free kick on the line instead, OR allow a large range of movement for anyone taking the throw. This should probably happen anyway, teams shouldn't be punished for having to throw in their own half. Gary Neville used to take the piss a bit by running half way up the half before he threw the ball in, not sure if refs are a bit more pernicikity these days.

Chief123

Maguire also often commits attacking fouls (or is given attacking fouls by referees - remember the disallowed goal he scored recently)
Yes he does foul his opponent quite often in attacking set pieces. However, ironically the goal that was disallowed I actually felt was legitimate and a soft decision to give it a foul. I honestly think the ref was eager to disallow it because he felt he had to balance up the potential red card to shaw.

SuperiorXI

Corners put the ball into the area and you have to have the ball in there to score generally.

But having tonnes of players in there also takes the space away.

But you only have to look at how many times Maguire has got his full head on a ball close in to see they could be a great source of goals if he could find some accuracy.
He seemed to do it a lot more regularly for Leicester and England than for us.

Davie Moyes

I'm always hopeful we will score when we get a corner and nervous when we concede one when I probably should not based on probability.

I think it's more a mental thing of having possession in a dangerous area, threat of a goal etc.

I know Harry has been getting some criticism recently for not scoring from corners but I like the fact he gets there and is perceived a danger and someone for the opposition to worry about.

I was gutted for him his Burnley goal was disallowed. It's what you want to see a fantastic thumping header where he's out muscled the opponent. Don't forget Harry scoring one or two headers early in the season seemed to boost his confidence after a difficult summer.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Even if it doesn’t end up in a goal teams still get possession in a dangerous area of the pitch so concluding that corners aren’t effective because of the ratio of goals scored per corner kicks taken doesn’t really make sense.
What do you mean by 'get possession in a dangerous area'? From my perspective, the corner kick is possession, but that's not a dangerous area; and when it's crossed into the box, it's anybody's ball and does not count as possession anymore. What's more, as soon as the defending team gets some control over the ball, you have a dangerous counter-attack on your hands. (Dangerous, because the attacking team is likely completely out of shape and position due to the corner.)

Didn't Van Gaal use that? Or at least, I do think he instructed his teams that, when returning the ball to the opponent (e.g., after an injury treatment) to kick it into touch exactly like that.

lysglimt

Scout
You can add freekicks to that - the number of freekicks scored each season is ridiculously low. Of course there are no stats to show many direct freekicks are direct attempts on goal - but look at this:

19/20 - a total of 25 goals scored from direct freekicks, the season before it was 23. So far this season only 9 with Ward-Prowse getting 3 of them.

And with the number of goals each season usually ranging from 900 - 1100 - to try to score a direct freekick in the Premier League is usually a waste of time unless your name is Ward-Prowse :)