Are FIFA the most blatantly corrupt organisation in sport?

stevoc

No Copa regularly invites 1 team to join because it makes for a better format (iirc).
Yeah I remember Mexico were regularly invited, would be a bit awkward though if Japan or another non South American country were the champions of South America.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As someone else said the IOC is probably the most corrupt, then you have a recent scandal in bodybuilding with the long term chairman allegedly blackmailing female competitors into doing spicy photos for one of his websites in order to either win or at least be judged fairly.

Reyoji-Utd

Genuine question, which organization has the power to oversee and check on them?

If the answer is no, then why shouldnt they be corrupt when everyone in it can pretty much get away with any rediculous decision and blantant corrution.

Foxbatt

Not really. Look at the boxing associations. I don't think FIFA now deliberately fix matches.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The Russian athletics federation or whatever they're called are probably the most blatant.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Genuine question, which organization has the power to oversee and check on them?

If the answer is no, then why shouldnt they be corrupt when everyone in it can pretty much get away with any rediculous decision and blantant corrution.
What do you mean by that? Any judicial body that has reasons to suspect wrondoings within their jurisdiction and the international judicial bodies can investigate them. They are not above the law but keep in mind that corruption is a fairly common thing everywhere and proving it isn't that easy when powerful people/states/companies are involved.

An example is the issues that FIFA have with french prosecutors, if we are being serious they don't really care about FIFA and its corruption, the reason they went after FIFA and the Qatar WC is because they want Sarkozy.

Fitchett

UCI was dodgy in turning a blind eye to doping transgressions, until external investigative journalists uncovered what was going on and forced belated action against Lance Armstrong.

Reyoji-Utd

What do you mean by that? Any judicial body that has reasons to suspect wrondoings within their jurisdiction and the international judicial bodies can investigate them. They are not above the law but keep in mind that corruption is a fairly common thing everywhere and proving it isn't that easy when powerful people/states/companies are involved.

An example is the issues that FIFA have with french prosecutors, if we are being serious they don't really care about FIFA and its corruption, the reason they went after FIFA and the Qatar WC is because they want Sarkozy.
Ok, then i understand that. But that would mean just like no one is overlooking at them because we can see that they are pretty much can do and make any decision without any consequences. The part you mention about Judicial from other countries and like you said no one care about what they do bad or corrupt is the reason that we have now with all the ludicrous decision and blantant corruption.

I know that corruption is everywhere and that is part and parcel of us human societies. But most are hidding or at least try to hide to make it look good but with FIFA, its rediculous and rotten to the core. All the member in FIFA are into the corruption more or less and its so blantant until last time when the other powerful person or institution is not getting what they want with them, that we saw the cleaning up a bit.

I know that theres nothing we can do about it and i dont really carw much about football as a whole. I only care a bit about UTD. But if we want to have a better football experiences or use football to help make the world a better place like what they say then its better to disband the FIFA and start a new with better organization setup and check and balance.

Arlo

Don't a fair amount of governing bodies in American sports pretty much act like doping isn't a thing?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
These are well-meant supranational quangos badly evolved into mafia circles. Sport was a great vehicle of soft power, money and corruption one hundred years ago and much much more these days. Point is: how to reform? Plebs do not want private ventures (a la SuperLeague) or the governmental bureaucracies (a la EU), so what.
Me and you Bepi. We can rule this city or we can just fight to the death

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Me and you Bepi. We can rule this city or we can just fight to the death
We also need a Catwoman... Batman-Robin-Catwoman vs the bald ginger Gianni & his mobs in Qatar. Swapping costumes as we like, of course.:lol:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
So it's very hard to do anything about FIFA because if we are honest about it: in FIFA every country has one vote, and while that may sound "democratic" in reality it means:
1. There are plenty of countries there represented by prolific bigots, whose delegates don't give a rat's ass about human rights
2. It's quite easy to buy votes of certain smaller countries

The situation is not as hopeless as it may seem, however, because while outright votes will continue to be skewed, we are also all aware of the real power. FIFA in and of itself is just some shitty bureaucracy. The real power of the sport, no disrespect to other countries, is in the biggest European leagues (I say this as an American, so don't bother with bullshit accusations. MLS and Kyrgyzstan Top Liga do not matter as much, just a fact). If England, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, and Netherlands + a number of other leagues boycott and rebel, FIFA and UEFA will be done. And it's not even that they need to form an alternative organization (which they ABSOLUTELY could) but even a real threat of such thing would put a fear in FIFA/UEFA assholes.

The way to do it is - demand that FIFA/UEFA pass bylaws that protects human rights, ones that declare that condemning homophobia and racism is not fecking politics - it's basic decency and recognition of human rights. Therefore, things like this won't be up for debate or vote.

Of course, it requires a backbone, something the executives of these big leagues clearly miss.

Foxbatt

FIFA says if there is any government intervention that association gets suspended. Sometimes government has to intervene due to corruption but FIFA don't accept it.
There is a reason why they have their HQ is Switzerland.
The only way these mega mafia organizations are held accountable is the big UN countries intervene. I mean the USA and EU. If they do without any political bias, these organizations will get cleaned up. It's not Blatter or Platini. It's corrupt to it's core as institutions.

Josep Dowling

FIFA says if there is any government intervention that association gets suspended. Sometimes government has to intervene due to corruption but FIFA don't accept it.
There is a reason why they have their HQ is Switzerland.
The only way these mega mafia organizations are held accountable is the big UN countries intervene. I mean the USA and EU. If they do without any political bias, these organizations will get cleaned up. It's not Blatter or Platini. It's corrupt to it's core as institutions.
The US did get involved and it achieved nothing. Blatter and Platini both got arrested and their sole punishment is to be banned from footballing activities, why aren’t they in jail? And now FIFA is overseen by Infantino who is just as corrupt and lacking morals as Blatter was. Nothing has changed at the organisation.

Foxbatt

The US did get involved and it achieved nothing. Blatter and Platini both got arrested and their sole punishment is to be banned from footballing activities, why aren’t they in jail? And now FIFA is overseen by Infantino who is just as corrupt and lacking morals as Blatter was. Nothing has changed at the organisation.
Not really. If the bigger countries went after them and take away their powers then they will come crashing down to the ground.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
May look to change rules for the next World Cup…

Extra point. Maybe they should change the shape of the goal posts too…. perhaps a big “H” that you have to kick the extra point through?

And if you want 2 points you could try a shot outside the box instead

Traub

Good luck to players ever getting rest. Clubs will have to pick whether to prioritise this or champions league. My bet is champions league.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Good luck to players ever getting rest. Clubs will have to pick whether to prioritise this or champions league. My bet is champions league.
European teams send their youth and second string and play use it for experience and minutes

NLunited

I think so, yes. If next World Cup is awarded to Saudi-Arabia, all European countries should stay home. That is what should have happened with Qatar. and Russia.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We should boycott it altogether. We as in Real Madrid. Since let's face it, it's always gonna be us who'd be representing UEFA :D

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not to play devils advocate, but where does this idea that players NEED prolonged periods of rest actually come from?

Is there any science behind it or is it just that millionaire footballers think they should be entitled to 3 months off per year and a long break at christmas, and their clubs/employers being unwilling to just do what nearly every other employer does and give them holiday time?

I get that players can become fatigued but there is nothing stopping their club side from giving them a rest.

Also the argument is kind of self defeating when a significant number of them come back for pre season in much worse physical condition, to the point it takes them until a month into the season to regain their fitness.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Also does the current UK government count as an organisation? Because if so this thread is a non starter.

I don't think FIFA would get away with using a global pandemic to openly syphon off billions of pounds of everyone else's money and pass it on to their mates.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not to play devils advocate, but where does this idea that players NEED prolonged periods of rest actually come from?

Is there any science behind it or is it just that millionaire footballers think they should be entitled to 3 months off per year and a long break at christmas, and their clubs/employers being unwilling to just do what nearly every other employer does and give them holiday time?

I get that players can become fatigued but there is nothing stopping their club side from giving them a rest.

Also the argument is kind of self defeating when a significant number of them come back for pre season in much worse physical condition, to the point it takes them until a month into the season to regain their fitness.
If you're a player you want to play every game and if you're a manager you want your best players to play every game, despite having a big squad. It's a vicious cycle. That's why you need governing bodies or regulators to step in and be the sensible ones in the situation and not try to squeeze in as many games as possible but as you know as much as we all do, they're greedy cnuts.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If you're a player you want to play every game and if you're a manager you want your best players to play every game, despite having a big squad. It's a vicious cycle. That's why you need governing bodies or regulators to step in and be the sensible ones in the situation and not try to squeeze in as many games as possible but as you know as much as we all do, they're greedy cnuts.
Clubs are just as greedy. To the point a bunch of them tried to create their own league that it would be impossible to get relegated from....and to the point they whine about fixture lists and tournaments, but then literally use pre season to fly their best players on some money spinning tour around the world which is undoubtedly exhausting for all involved.

I don't think a summer tournament is exactly akin to asking players to run themselves into the ground. If they timed it right it would just act as a far more meaningful and lucrative replacement for said pre season tours, at least for the clubs involved....and might even act as incentive for players not to use their 6 weeks off to get more out of shape than most athletes would in 6 months.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Clubs are just as greedy. To the point a bunch of them tried to create their own league that it would be impossible to get relegated from....and to the point they whine about fixture lists and tournaments, but then literally use pre season to fly their best players on some money spinning tour around the world which is undoubtedly exhausting for all involved.

I don't think a summer tournament is exactly akin to asking players to run themselves into the ground. If they timed it right it would just act as a far more meaningful and lucrative replacement for said pre season tours, at least for the clubs involved....and might even act as incentive for players not to use their 6 weeks off to get more out of shape than most athletes would in 6 months.
Indeed, which is also why it's rough for the players because they clubs will want to maximise profits by being in all these competitions and winning them and they do that with the best players on the pitch.

I think the difference between summer tournaments and pre-season is the intensity though, no? The training programme for a tournament like the World Cup is going to be very different from a training programme in pre-season. So will the games.

If you're asking players to constantly be competing in high level games with meaning attached to them then it gets tricky to not see player welfare as an issue.

Lee565

How is this guy any less corrupt than blatter, it's greedy cnut like this that are watering down the game to be soulless

Lee565

Don't we basically already have this competition held in January between clubs that win the top Cup competitions in their continent and look at woeful that is, the champions league is bad enough in the early stages, it will be even worse with the quality of some teams across the continent

Gator Nate

FIA is probably more corrupt, but it's so small that no one cares. IOC is probably a match for FIFA, but since everyone gets to play anyway and there's not nearly as much money in "amateur" sports and everyone returns to their respective sport's governing bodies when it's over, no one really cares that much. But I think FIFA has more control over the sport of football/soccer than any other organization over any other sport, and it's worldwide, so the corruption affects everyone.