Are Martial's problems to do with the level of the team or independent of them?

TRUERED89

RVP said Martial and Rashford made intelligent runs which are never picked out by the midfield or the ball playing defenders.

If a player keeps making the runs and never receiving the ball because the team around him are inept to make the pass then would he keep making the same run? We will find when Bruno plays if it is him or the team.
Totally agree with this. Even last night he tried several 1-2's around the edge of the box but just got ignored by Lingard mainly.

Bestietom

I think the first 18 mins or so yesterday showed the issue we have. The Man City attacking players swarmed all over us everytime we had the ball, never give us a chance. Martial in stark contrast is so lackadaisical in his approach. You can bemoan lack of service to him and that is a fair point because it's dreadful, but service or not he has to make a hell of a lot more effort on his behalf to win the ball back. The modern game is all about that high press, look at City, look at Liverpool. I honestly think we will be looking to implement that type of game going forward, certainly Fernandes can help in that regard. To press you have to as a unit, if one player doesn't do that then they can just pass through you. It must be so infuriating to our other attacking players when they close down a defender to look back and see Martial casually jogging nowhere near to the defender. It's the same way for him when he makes a run and doesn't get picked out. He is what we have right now. He's still youngish at 24 to adapt his game. We definitely need to upgrade in that area going forward though. The addition of Fernandes and Pogba to come back next month will add that much needed creativity we severely lack.
I agree with you on most of this except Martial ever contributing to the high press game. He is far too casual at times and this is where he lets himself and the team down. He should also show more fight if he wants to become a top CF. He needs to throw himself in where it hurts and score the tap ins also.

Eleven-Eighteen

Maybe Pereiras struggles are down to Martial sucking??
Obviously i recognise the absurdity of both suggestions
Yeah i get what you're saying. Beyond a point, Martial's underperformance cannot be blamed on another player. But our midfield has also unquestionably been rather shiite for most of this season

Classical Mechanic

He suffers from with most of our players suffer from. He doesn't improve. I don't think I would rate him much higher than when he was 19 and joined us right now but that's a common theme with almost every player we buy.
I think he's worse than then because he's filled out into his adult body and isn't as agile or quick as he was.

Camilo

I think he's a good footballer but I've never seen anything remotely world class about him. He's not that quick, not that skilful, not that hard working... His dribbling technique often seems to be to wait for the defenders to get into position, then try to go past them, rather than forcing the issue when the opposition is unprepared. He can be a tidy finisher but it's all a bit one dimensional.

I'm sure he'll improve as the midfield behind him does... He's got enough going for him to persevere a bit longer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I did not categorize your thread as a "slay Martial" thread though. But your thread is clearly looking at a player in isolation, we have been an inconsistent team that has struggled to create chances for almost 7 years now, the common theme has been poor technical and creative level from midfield and all our attackers being "streaky", not just Martial, the same has been done for all our attackers and people always end up using the attitude/character cliché when they also complain in other threads about the poor level of the rest of team, these two things are linked.
Martial is one of few in the entire squad who many would believe has a ceiling and level of potential beyond what we've seen to this point in time, and his talent makes that hard to refute, particularly on any level of absolutism as we've (fanbase) got with a lot of others in the team who are classed as not good enough and ripe for culling the moment replacements can be found. Martial, then, is far removed from the critique or even consideration lesser lights get, because there's no hope or belief in them in the full term - isolating Martial is actually a credit to him, and as the question asks: is it down to him, or is it the team around him that is holding him back. You wouldn't get legs out of the same question put forth for anyone else but Rashford (Greenwood is no part of the query given his age and growing pains etc.) because they're seen as write offs or eventual squad members at best.

I would love to see Martial succeed here - you won't see a single post of mine to the contrary. When he's not doing well, I don't mention it nor get involved in those threads because I have had my own preconceived notion that he'd be just fine once those around him were of a certain level. I thought it was an interesting talking point because perhaps that's not the case, and perhaps there is more to it/him than that. For me, he's at least a partial enigma. I feel like I have the answer some of the time, but others not. I'm not interested in cliches as I will always conduct my own analysis and conclude from it.

But anyway, it's annoying that threads are being shoehorned into one thing or other on tracks instead of just simple discussions where no agenda is assumed. 'Martial' should not trigger Pavlovian response with blinkers on - question can just be questions.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Player who needs others around him to really excel, not got the mentality or ability to be a consistent threat spearheading an attack.

Not a criticism, just the player he is. Class on his day, but can't be expected to do it on his own.

edgar allan

I've witnessed Andreas on the ball looking for some movement and a pass and Martial just stood static in front of him so many times :lol:
To be fair he would be unlikely to pick him out if he was free.

edgar allan

Yeah i get what you're saying. Beyond a point, Martial's underperformance cannot be blamed on another player. But our midfield has also unquestionably been rather shiite for most of this season
Indeed. A world class forward could help compensate for limited service. Sadly we havent had one in years.

He'sRaldo

To know how well Martial should be doing, we need to compare him not with City or Liverpool's attackers, but attackers in the league who play week in week out with the likes of Pereira and Lingard, flanked by AWB and Dan James.

When Martial had just one other decent partner in Rashford, his performances were elevated much more. Now imagine a whole decent midfield; a whole decent, functional attacking team. I think he'd be pretty decent.

The funny thing is we've seen evidence of good players elevating each other earlier in the season, after struggling alone. It wasn't that long ago, are the memories that short?

Decomposing In Paris

I agree I think we will, but the problem I have with him, is sometimes you to make things happen for yourself, if things are not completely right with the team, he might as well not be there.
Oh I agree completely, he’s got to take responsibility in those moments. However I’d argue that the team hasn’t been completely right since the early days of Ole’s caretaker role.

TRUERED89

This is good except the bits that aren’t true. Like he ‘doesn’t seem to want to get involved in the midfield possession’ or cannot cover multiple positions on the pitch.

He has shown great proficiency to drop deep and link play all season, but when he’s not the only forward thinking player in the opposition half. Some games, Greenwood joins the party, others, he does not. James is a glorified RB. Martial has been covering 9, 10 and 11 in many games. Rashford was similarly ineffective when Martial was injured and was being asked to be our only forward player of any real threat in the side.

Against Liverpool, he was probably the only player in our XI who had scored a goal for at least 2 months. If you take away Brandon Williams’ goal from that, and Andreas’ deflection against Brighton I think, then the only player who had scored a goal since August. That’s a ridiculous scenario to find ourselves in.
Did you see the way Salah (albeit a great player) pushed him off recently ? He'd be a shocking RB imo.

3KDré

Did you see the way Salah (albeit a great player) pushed him off recently ? He'd be a shocking RB imo.
Salah is deceptively strong. It's very hard to knock him off the ball, hence why he scores so many goals.

Andersonson

He's a lesser version of Ben Arfa. Patches of world class but rarely.

He doesnt even run or makes runs when he's off. Wonder if its about mentality or just intelligence or arrogance.

There's no surprise what so ever that he aint part of the France set up.

I cant figure him out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Oh I agree completely, he’s got to take responsibility in those moments. However I’d argue that the team hasn’t been completely right since the early days of Ole’s caretaker role.
Again I was listening to Talksport and Brazil and Cascarino both said Manchester United should not be a counter attacking team, now and again is fine, but not as a tactic. Not listening to it tomorrow, he has Neil 'fecking' Warnock on. On Brexit day he has that clown on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He didn’t ‘push’ him off, he ‘held’ him off, which I think is very different. Salah is very strong, it’s no given James would just push him over there. But it wasn’t as ridiculous as Drogba vs Aliou Traore all those years ago!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Martial is one of few in the entire squad who many would believe has a ceiling and level of potential beyond what we've seen to this point in time, and his talent makes that hard to refute, particularly on any level of absolutism as we've (fanbase) got with a lot of others in the team who are classed as not good enough and ripe for culling the moment replacements can be found. Martial, then, is far removed from the critique or even consideration lesser lights get, because there's no hope or belief in them in the full term - isolating Martial is actually a credit to him, and as the question asks: is it down to him, or is it the team around him that is holding him back. You wouldn't get legs out of the same question put forth for anyone else but Rashford (Greenwood is no part of the query given his age and growing pains etc.) because they're seen as write offs or eventual squad members at best.

I would love to see Martial succeed here - you won't see a single post of mine to the contrary. When he's not doing well, I don't mention it nor get involved in those threads because I have had my own preconceived notion that he'd be just fine once those around him were of a certain level. I thought it was an interesting talking point because perhaps that's not the case, and perhaps there is more to it/him than that. For me, he's at least a partial enigma. I feel like I have the answer some of the time, but others not. I'm not interested in cliches as I will always conduct my own analysis and conclude from it.

But anyway, it's annoying that threads are being shoehorned into one thing or other on tracks instead of just simple discussions where no agenda is assumed. 'Martial' should not trigger Pavlovian response with blinkers on - question can just be questions.
You didn't need to defend yourself from something I didn't accuse you of, I didn't say that you had an agenda and my point wasn't limited to Martial, it's the same thing with Rashford, Pogba or the central defense. My point is exactly what I stated, we can't judge players in isolation because they are not isolated, their performances are directly linked to their environment and in the case of Martial as a striker or Rashford earlier in the season, you can't expect consistency from players playing a role that has to rely on extremely inconsistent service, if you look at Martial output, it is consistent and above average, if we want from him, we need to have a stronger and more consistent team.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
For me the problem lies with Martial a lot of the time. He is a luxury player, that generally can put in a touch of class during a match, but at the same time doesn't have the ability to drag a team forward on his own, and doesn't have the aggression to put the opposition under any pressure when off the ball.

He is a very skillful player on the ball, but will just as often just keep dribbling and end up getting closed down by a couple of players and lose the ball or dribble out of touch/toward the corner. That lack of clinical drive and knowing when to play the ball off is what holds him back at times.

He will doubtless be more effective with better players around him, that make up for his deficiencies. By the weaknesses will still be there. So it would be the other players making him look better, than him actually being any better.

TRUERED89

And beyond that they are attackers, they rely on what happens below them. If your midfield can't reliably bring and keep the ball in the last third, your forwards are doomed. Yesterday Martial was the only attacker with an attempt at goal, one of two with an attempt in open play. The fact that there is a thread about him today is baffling, I keep telling myself that some fans don't actually realize that football is a team game and that players rely on each others.
It's baffling to me, people forget he scored at the Emptyhad just last month. But now without Rashford & McT and a dead duck in Lingard behind him, he's supposed to magically create goals out of nothing? Nobody can get him the ball in any dangerous positions so he's pretty much fecked.

KristianMackle

Martial needs either Pogba or Rashford to flourish. Let's hope Bruno does the trick with his obvious quality!

He'sRaldo

It's baffling to me, people forget he scored at the Emtyhad just last month. But now without Rashford & McT and a dead duck in Lingard behind him, he's supposed to magically create goals out of nothing? Nobody can get him the ball in any dangerous positions so he's pretty much fecked.
This to me is one of the problems talking about him. Memories are so short, it's like all the good things are erased.

He's our 2nd top scorer, meaning he's probably been winning us a few games this season with his goals. So all these accusations don't make much sense, unless people expect him to be getting a goal or more per game in our current setup, to constantly bail us out.

Judas

Open to offers
People forget, but then people use good moments to forgive him for so many many ineffective performances. I think he's got a place in this squad, but I think we should be looking for a better starting striker.

Deuterium

He suffers from with most of our players suffer from. He doesn't improve. I don't think I would rate him much higher than when he was 19 and joined us right now but that's a common theme with almost every player we buy. Some stagnate, some regress and that's even something that seems to happen to our own youth players once they make the step up from the reserves to the first team. First you get excited about them because you see all the promise in them but after a year or two you notice they haven't really added anything to their game and don't seem much further along in their development than they were when they broke into the first team or when we bought them.

Since I obviously don't know what our players are doing on a day to day basis I can only guess what is going behind the scenes but it's a real problem if we want to go down the route of buying younger players but can't really improve them like other teams who take that approach do.
I don’t know why not more people are mentioning this, it seems to be our biggest problem regarding player development right now. 9/10 players does not improve given the chance to play regularly. It is easy to draw parallels to earning as much as you do in this team you are to comfortable to improve your skills. If I would earn 1m per year I wouldn’t either trying to get better.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Easy to be lazy when you're on £250k per week.

How did we sanction such a contract for a player who has demonstrated so little?

JPRouve

Scout
People forget, but then people use good moments to forgive him for so many many ineffective performances. I think he's got a place in this squad, but I think we should be looking for a better starting striker.
We should, like we should for all positions. At the exception of few, there isn't actually a lot of people that believes that Martial is best thing since sliced bread, I personally see him as a flawed player that still gives us good production per minutes played, I don't have him in a different category to players like Rashford or AWB who are also flawed and would most likely not start for the very best teams in the world.

johanovic

Martial is a lazy player and that shows every time he plays. I think of players like Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke for example, both talented in their different way´s but they worked their socks of really. Martial seems to think he´s way better than he is and how I dislike players that can not give 100% on the field every f... time. Make your attacking runs, track back and stop thinking you are to good to do this work. It´s also not helping that we hardly have a prober striker as I consider Greenwood the only striker we have. Rashford and Martial are both more suited coming in from the left.

Eleven-Eighteen

Indeed. A world class forward could help compensate for limited service. Sadly we havent had one in years.
Rashford is showing all the right signs. If he continues to develop the way he has been, the team needs to make sure it keeps pace

Hammondo

Rashford is doing better, with less games, and playing out of position.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think that's the case for almost all players. Problem with Martial is, he is more of a creator than scorer. So with Rashford in the side, he had sort of perfect player to link up. Someone who can occupy the space created by Martial.

Now without Rashford, he still plays the same role but we don't have anyone to occupy those spaces and be a goal threat.

So the question is, is the player not good enough to adapt to the team or is it on Ole for not tweaking the system?

IMO, Rashford needs Martial and Martial needs Rashford to get the best out of them, especially when we already have player like Pogba missing. Tbh I was frustrated watching him play vs City, wanted him to be in the box and be a goal threat in Rashford's absence.
All that way back when he had his LVG run of great performances, it seemed like he'd go on to become a Henry-esque hybrid striker/wing-forward combination, he still might, but it seems Martial himself wants to play straight through the middle.

It's difficult then if he's not doing the things you need a striker to do, but is that down to our circumstance (as others have mentioned, him drifting or coming too deep because he feels he has to) or is it because he doesn't have those instincts?

Interesting to think of it possibly being a matter for Ole to tweak, as I've not taken that angle to Martial before.

JPRouve

Scout
Rashford isn't playing out of position and has played 5 more games, around 400 more minutes.

Raven

Playing out of position? Left forward is clearly his best position, how have you not picked up on that yet? A large part of the way Rashford has played this season is down to Martial.

Andersons Dietician

You need multiple games and frequency of execution for something to be verifiable.

Martial fits all the categories in flashes, it doesn't make him any of them. If Martial's movements were as you state on a frequent basis, the identifiable problem would simply be service into him. Do you think that is the case? I'm asking as a honest question not a loaded one, just as the question of if he just needs combination players around him to come to life.

Let me ask another way: is he an enigma, or are the issues to get the best out of him obvious?

I'm not 'vex' and I certainly didn't make the thread to have a cry about Martial. Your bluster is misdirected and, quite frankly, unnecessary.
I think it’s been obvious for over 2/3 seasons its service in to him and pretty much all our front players. The only players really capable of playing the defence breaking pass or something different happens to be Martial and Pogba. Martial can’t pass to himself and well Pogba has been injured most of this season.

There is just something fractured with this team. It just doesn’t quite work right or has a whole mix of different elements that just don’t compliment each other. Like trying to make spaghetti with just salad.

Sancho on the right, Rashford on the left Bruno and Pogba as 8’s with a DM and in my opinion you’d see a huge improvement in him and the team in general.

JPRouve

Scout
Rashford is a striker, and ok I might be wrong about the games played.
Rashford isn't a striker, he is an inside forward. From memory he wasn't even a striker at youth level, if I'm not mistaken he was moved during the last years due to injuries. His best position at professional level is as an inside forward on the left.

Denis79

RVP said Martial and Rashford made intelligent runs which are never picked out by the midfield or the ball playing defenders.

If a player keeps making the runs and never receiving the ball because the team around him are inept to make the pass then would he keep making the same run? We will find when Bruno plays if it is him or the team.
Think most match going fans can tell you he's very static. I haven't been to that many games this season but in the ones I have he doesn't move much compared to the other players, especially compared to Rashford.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
All that way back when he had his LVG run of great performances, it seemed like he'd go on to become a Henry-esque hybrid striker/wing-forward combination, he still might, but it seems Martial himself wants to play straight through the middle.

It's difficult then if he's not doing the things you need a striker to do, but is that down to our circumstance (as others have mentioned, him drifting or coming too deep because he feels he has to) or is it because he doesn't have those instincts?

Interesting to think of it possibly being a matter for Ole to tweak, as I've not taken that angle to Martial before.
Yeah, he was such an exciting player when we sign him, always thought something will happen when he had ball at his feet.

I think he drops deep as that's his natural playing style, like Rooney was and looked frustrated when he was asked to stick to 9 position and play without ball. The problem we have is, we don't have complimenting players. I won't blame coach or player alone, since SAF retired this has been our common problem. We have players but don't have team to get best out of each other. This season it looked like attacking 3 linked up well and then we had injury crisis, lacked proper replacements and then back to square 1.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Maybe every time one of our players performs poorly it's actually because the rest of the team weren't at the same level as them?

Or does this only apply to players who it isn't cool to slag off?

He can be good enough on his day but he's too inconsistent. His biggest problem is that for someone who wants to play as a striker apparently, he spends an awful lot of time looking like someone being asked to play up front who'd prefer to be playing on the wing.

Also, in spite of that, his goalscoring record isn't really all that bad. Think it'd be just under 1 every 2 games this season...you'd be paying a lot of money to get a striker who'd guarantee you better. It's just that he has games like last night, where he just doesn't look like he's trying to do anything.